Officers Lounge (OoC)

TiffanyKorta

38 minutes ago, GleefulNihilism said:

*whistles in fan-theory that he intentionally got that question wrong to help hide his genetic status.*

I don't think that's a fan-theory... It heavily implied that it was the case.

Guess a good a time as any to talk about canon. I'm the kind of person that draws on all sources of Star Trek lore from the TV shows, movies, games, and books, I actually spent a little while making sure no other ship had the NCC-1702 (and even then I cheated a smidge). But I always consider such things as easter eggs, flavouring for those that get the reference but not deliberating for those that don't. Also if its not on screen it's up to you if you use it for your own characters, if you want to work with Andorians having four sexes (from the novel) that's fine but I'm not going to insist that you do that if you just want to ignore it all and be just a kick-ass warrior totally fine and dandy.

Heh. Gee, I wonder what brought that up. Lol.

For the record, all I’m saying is that the Andorian 4 Sexes thing doesn’t make any logistical sense even by Evolution standards and probably accomplishes the opposite of what the original writers intended. It works better if instead have it as a Gender Identity thing, or a Religious Metaphor for the Complexity of Matters of the Heart.

For the record, I don't particularly mind if you use a different interpretation of the Andorians than the one I've been defending. The 'canon-ish' version isn't the explanation I would have come up with for the four-way marriages, honestly. I just find it an interesting thing to attempt to justify. Even if I've only really got a satisfactory explanation for three of the genders...

Edited by whoiam (see edit history)

Heh, was meaning to mention about canon and this was as good a moment as any! And I have no issue with people discussing about such things, just keep it respectful (as you both have) and agree to disagree and move on as necessary.

...If anything, I should have been the one to make changes. You submitted T'Ral long before I posted T'Loran.

Though, honestly, I thought the two were different enough not to cause issues. Its not like there's a One Vulcan Policy we need to obey, or anything.

They were both Vulcans who grew up on a different species homeworld, rebelled against their parents' trader background, found a telepatic friend that brought them closer to emotions and lost that friend tragically to the Klingons. That felt rather close to me.

Anyway, I like creating chatacters, so creating a unique one was no big issue.

@TiffanyKorta, I'm a little curious. When you speak of "... Ben, Rosa, and Roo...", I'm supposing you are referring to Benjamin Franklin (American writer, scientist, inventor, statesman, diplomat, printer, publisher, and political philosopher) as "Ben". Is "Rosa" supposed to be Rosalind Franklin, British chemist and X-ray crystallographer? As for "Roo", are you speaking about Franklin Delano Roosevelt, American president, or someone else?

So, are we waiting for anyone/anything else, @TiffanyKorta? If all the players are here but you need more time, I'd be happy to kick off a social thread or something for us to practice our characters in...

In other news, for those who want to use it, we've got a Discord Server! Its shared with another Mythweavers STA game, so there may be a few faces in there you don't recognise... But our illustrious GM will be there, yay! More importantly, it tends to be a nice timesaver when you need to talk over your options with Tiff.

Anyway, the invite should bring you to a common channel. Just let me know which mythweavers user you are (if it isn't obvious) and I'll let you into the OOC channel for this game.