First One In The Breach

Grudge

Don't know about the rest of you but in some ways I prefer the actual moons, rather than fantasizing them. Keep the solar system as is immediately makes for a background we can grasp.

How about politics/conflict... any particular reason why security is needed?

I don't mean fantasizing about moons but corporations, moons will be one of those two. As for security, it's not an army, by (allowed) weapons you can see that they are on average weaker equipped than U.S. Police Force. I mean why is Security needed at Walmart? These are two corporations that had security in one or another capacity since they are founded, for them just following the same template makes sense, it worked for them so far. Not to mention that isolation that long can lead to larger abuse of alcohol and other stimulants and an increase in rowdiness. Basically, it's just another coin of why workers have entertainment available, both branches are there to basically keeps them calm. If you can't let out your aggression through the movie, laser tag game. Mortal Kombat 209878 installment, your aggression will be curbed by gentle shock batons of our security force while you yell "Don't taze me bro!!" in a glorious 64k solid 3D hologram someone placed on the facility web for everyone to laugh at...and think twice before they were captured in the same situation. 😉

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

No worries then. I'll just do a little rework in my backstory guff if needed down the track regards solarography and names if needed.

One thing I did want to work into Malcom's background is a budding rebel. Someone who despises the corporate monopolies and their greed and figures there should be a better way to go about things, thus the security/politics angle. Not sure what to leverage there.

33 minutes ago, Thramzorean said:

No worries then. I'll just do a little rework in my backstory guff if needed down the track regards solarography and names if needed.

One thing I did want to work into Malcom's background is a budding rebel. Someone who despises the corporate monopolies and their greed and figures there should be a better way to go about things, thus the security/politics angle. Not sure what to leverage there.

I kinda messed around with examples, but while things are not on Shadowrun, Cyberpunk (whatever edition, I didn't play it actually I'm Shadowrun acolyte 😜 ) levels when it comes to corporate independence that they could arm their forces with power armor and Vulcan guns, as sole owners of everything there they are responsible for security. Since by now, they haven't run into anything good shotgun into chest couldn't solve, there saw no need to go through all stringent (and pricey) applications to raise the security level (at least legally, it is completely possible that corps have special corp teams armed with greatest and deadliest to fight movements as yours on he planets, placing one of those on the moon where even rebels understand that stray bullet could f'up entire complex and in aftermath, Axe/Telecom conglomerate would turn their money machine painting your guys in such way that good ol' dead Osama and Sadan would look like Mr. Rogers.

I mean I'm in for your guy is some kind of resistant movement but, being careful is the name of the game. Your guy would have to be so good as to be indispensable or have a cover that would send CiA and FSB agents to separate corners with "Dunce" caps. I mean background checks would out of sheer need have to be extremely stringent. Let's move from Anti-Intel Revolutionary landing on Intel Moon to stealing their stuff, disrupting their economy, and uploading architecture for their new processor. And go down to the common slime of the earth. They allow serial Rapists, to place on one side the percentage of such kind of crime that goes unreported, combined with the percentage of "slap on the wrist" punishment. Throw both of those under the bus. Just think about this, a real specialized unit is 6 months away. They have Security but fir all the specialized stuff they would have to ask people who might be qualified but it is not their job. They might know to work out DNA in their sleep but more simpler stuff like taking a Rape Kit was not really covered there. Too many other such examples.

Why not just place them there then? Real cops, real hospitals... the same reason your guy joined the resistance. This is run by corporations, not governments, and even the lowest form of both. Police outpost with a few cops and a Medical Centre instead of a Hospital. (I know a bit about second, we had a Medical Centre until somewhere between 2005-07 and got upgraded to a Hospital. There were so many celebrations and Found out about all stuff we couldn't do before even if we had doctors. For example, no deliveries here even if we had not one but 2 teams certified for it, no hernia operations, wanna glasses...to bad pay up to the private clinic or travel 2 hours etc. There are many things that once you dive into minutia are nightmares.

Malcom doesn't have to be in a resistance movement per se. I'm thinking this as budding concepts, the birth of what might be one day, a Jupiter republic or something. It could well be the current economic and political scenario makes it completely unfeasible, the outer systems only the playground of the ultrarich nation equivalent corps who have the resources to support the ventures. Or it could be ripe for change, the solar system littered with small private enterprises, unregistered prospectors and independent space stations - it's this sort of aspect I'm trying to get a feel for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ร—
ร—