Questions and Discussions

3 hours ago, allefgib said:

Are you open to aberrant dragonmarks?  Will that fit the campaign?

You can play with an Aberrant Dragonmark, just of course people have strong negative superstitions about them. So essentially, the Twelve have encouraged centuries of superstitions and exaggerated stories about Aberrant Dragonmarks. There are of course some truth to it with people losing control of their Aberrant Dragonmarks. So are you going to try to fight against the public fears? Or even join with House Tarkanan against the Twelve? These are questions worth considering when making your character with an Aberrant Dragonmark. The Clifftop Adventurer's Guild also prefers to have a good reputation (people with Aberrant Dragonmarks don't have a good reputation, not currently at least) and are in good standing with House Sivis and House Tharashk which complicates things further.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular city or premise that the party is getting together for? It'd help a bit with preparing backgrounds and character concepts.

As for character concepts, it depends on where the story takes place. I'm considering an Aasimar maestro bard connected to the Radiant Idols if it's in Sharn, a Valenar Elf tank build with a mount if more outdoors, or perhaps a House Medani excoriate who communicates with the dead to investigate crimes.

Edited by basshero (see edit history)

2 hours ago, basshero said:

Out of curiosity, is there any particular city or premise that the party is getting together for? It'd help a bit with preparing backgrounds and character concepts.

As for character concepts, it depends on where the story takes place. I'm considering an Aasimar maestro bard connected to the Radiant Idols if it's in Sharn, a Valenar Elf tank build with a mount if more outdoors, or perhaps a House Medani excoriate who communicates with the dead to investigate crimes.

We are starting in Sharn and the first adventure will be in the city. Premise mostly you are part of the Clifftop Adventurers' Guild so it will start from there.

I know Sharn was neutral during the last war...would it be conceivable for it to have been a hub for espionage between the various sides ala Portugal/Spain/Sweden during the second world war?

1 minute ago, saithor said:

I know Sharn was neutral during the last war...would it be conceivable for it to have been a hub for espionage between the various sides ala Portugal/Spain/Sweden during the second world war?

Yes, it is conceivable some spies met in Sharn, a neutral ground and big enough to hide/conduct operations.

Just saw this, and I have always been interested in Eberron, but never played a game based in the setting.  Now I have always been interested in Karrnath, the idea of an undead nation is just awesome to me.  However, given the nature of necromancy, how is it viewed outside of that nation, by Eberron at large?  Would a Bone Oracle who used summoned undead, and, eventually, the Create Undead ritual for a more permanent option, be viewed with hostility for practicing necromancy?  Or would it be based on my actions?

It would either be the above, or an aspiring Air Ship Captain, with the Mark of Storm, but I haven't fleshed out that concept yet as the first option is more appealing to me.

2 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Just saw this, and I have always been interested in Eberron, but never played a game based in the setting.  Now I have always been interested in Karrnath, the idea of an undead nation is just awesome to me.  However, given the nature of necromancy, how is it viewed outside of that nation, by Eberron at large?  Would a Bone Oracle who used summoned undead, and, eventually, the Create Undead ritual for a more permanent option, be viewed with hostility for practicing necromancy?  Or would it be based on my actions?

It would either be the above, or an aspiring Air Ship Captain, with the Mark of Storm, but I haven't fleshed out that concept yet as the first option is more appealing to me.

I don't think they'd be met with hostility, exactly. Folks outside of Karrnath would probably have some unkind things to say about them, but it's not outright illegal in most of Khorvaire.

2 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Well, let's talk about necromancy:

In general, necromancy has a dark reputation in the Five Nations. Arcane Necromancy is often associated with the Shadow, and Divine Necromancy is associated with the Keeper (of the Dark Six). Now beyond that, people think of the Blood of Vol and of course during the Last War, Karrnath was the only one using necromancy.

The common folk doesn't like necromancy for a good reason of course because everybody knows that undead are a real dangerous force in the world. It is mostly because of their beliefs with the Sovereign Host that the dead find peace in Dolurrh the realm of the dead, and they want to bury their dead.

Practicing necromancy isn't illegal in the Five Nations. As with all magic in general, the crime is mostly how you use it. Like a cleric or oracle can't be arrested for having a skeleton minion, but desecrating a corpse is illegal, so guards and the likes could ask evidence that you have claim to the corpse, usually charging you as a grave robber. In Karrnath they issue official papers of ownership for corpses.

Other spells have various reactions depending on how they manifest.

So it is in general not seen in a favorable light.

2 hours ago, allefgib said:

I've gone down a deep well of eberron setting lore learning.

I'm excited to get an application or 2, if multiple pcs allowed, over the weekend.

Ah deep lore diving, it is pretty fun.

If you feel up for it, sure.

Edited by Rogers (see edit history)

Still noodling on a concept, it's difficult because there are so many character ideas I want to try!

Currently trying to decide between Oracle, Psychic, and Witch, but I also want to offer something which will help the party most. Will hopefully decide soon.

21 minutes ago, VennDygrem said:

Still noodling on a concept, it's difficult because there are so many character ideas I want to try!

Currently trying to decide between Oracle, Psychic, and Witch, but I also want to offer something which will help the party most. Will hopefully decide soon.

Yeah, always the fun part trying to decide a concept to stick with.

16 hours ago, Rogers said:

Ah deep lore diving, it is pretty fun.

If you feel up for it, sure.

Noted. Thanks Rogers.
Considering:
- something warforged

or

- something dragonmarked

That narrows it down..... a little 😛

Alright, so the issue of the Create Undead ritual is largely due to the question about where the body actually came from, and if you have rights to it's possession.  Fair, but the Animate Dead spell summons an undead creature for a minute, upon which time the spell is completed and the summoned undead returns to wherever it was conjured from.  So, while, unnerving, perhaps, questionable, it's legality isn't as much of an issue, I am assuming?

Secondly, looking at a Summoner's Eidolon options, the Undead Eidolon is underwhelming at best, is there any chance you would be ok with me using the, much more, functional, Devotion Phantom, and call it a Karrnathi zombie of my brother, devoted to, and travelling with me to provide protection and service in his undead state?  Functionally being the same as the phantom, except just changing the narrative description to a corporeal undead.

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Alright, so the issue of the Create Undead ritual is largely due to the question about where the body actually came from, and if you have rights to it's possession.  Fair, but the Animate Dead spell summons an undead creature for a minute, upon which time the spell is completed and the summoned undead returns to wherever it was conjured from.  So, while, unnerving, perhaps, questionable, it's legality isn't as much of an issue, I am assuming?

Secondly, looking at a Summoner's Eidolon options, the Undead Eidolon is underwhelming at best, is there any chance you would be ok with me using the, much more, functional, Devotion Phantom, and call it a Karrnathi zombie of my brother, devoted to, and travelling with me to provide protection and service in his undead state?  Functionally being the same as the phantom, except just changing the narrative description to a corporeal undead.

In general, yeah for the first question.

For the devotion phantom, sure.