General Q&A

Michael

@paladinredJust a few pointers that you can take or leave. The class in your thread is the one from SS. The succubus got a little upgrade when it was converted to 3.5.

A quick glance says that the following have changed: Claw attack, spell resistance, ability scores, damage reduction (all for the better I might add).

But importantly what haven't changed is HD and LA.

30 minutes ago, TheFred said:

Plus all this talk of half-fiends now opens up the options a bit... can I play a Half-Fiend six-armed Anthropomorphic Constrictor Snake and just call it a Maralith? 😇

Yeah, its time for the circus. Still, what's more "fiendish" that a true melting pot of bits and pieces of things?

I'm testing out the concept of a Dark, Half-Shadow Dragon, Feral, Multi-Headed, Wingless Half-Fiend Goblin named Auf and Kig. Because each head needs its own name of course! 

6 hours ago, mole75 said:

Quick question: What do we do about favored calss?

The monster progressions from SA all have their racial calls as FC. However with the other gestalt track it requires some planing, if the FC are RAW.

Ignore favoured class rules, I have never liked them, chop and change as you wish.

3 hours ago, TheFred said:

Oh, I was going to ask that. Hmm... that's good, but does slightly complicate things, since I was just thinking Arcanaloth|Archivist. 🙂

Plus all this talk of half-fiends now opens up the options a bit... can I play a Half-Fiend six-armed Anthropomorphic Constrictor Snake and just call it a Maralith? 😇

If it helps, Savage Species has the Supernatural Transformation feat which lets you turn an SLA into a Su ability - that has various benefits, but it also sets the effective CL to be your total HD. (Not to be confused with the far wonkier Assume Supernatural Ability feat from the same book)

Can you find a 6 armed anthropomorphic constrictor snake with LA from one of the official books? 

3 hours ago, Ryfte said:

Yeah, its time for the circus. Still, what's more "fiendish" that a true melting pot of bits and pieces of things?

I'm testing out the concept of a Dark, Half-Shadow Dragon, Feral, Multi-Headed, Wingless Half-Fiend Goblin named Auf and Kig. Because each head needs its own name of course! 

Don't make me wind the rule back.  I originally required truebloods to avoid just this level of crazy.

Hmm, let me put it this way, barring a writing sample that brings me to tears of joy and sadness simultaneously, your chance of being accepted into this game is inversely proportional to the number of templates  the character has beyond 1.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Michael said:

Can you find a 6 armed anthropomorphic constrictor snake with LA from one of the official books? 

Savage Species has the Anthropomorphic Constrictor Snake (also Tauric, which is unfortunately restricted to things with 4+ legs but would actually work fine if houseruled to apply to snakes too). I think the only ways of adding arms are the Obah-Blessed template which is from some Dungeon Mag and I guess a lot of people don't allow, and the pseudo-template in the DMG2, it's one of the ones designed for NPCs but it has a +2 LA for if a DM feels like allowing it for a player (+2 LA for four arms is kinda eh anyway, and you'd need to apply it twice, if you even can, to get six). Obah-Blessed is like that but a fair bit stronger since it gives some chunky stat bumps and stuff too.

But I'm mostly just musing out loud... I think instead I will go with the Arcanaloth and make a pen-pushing, middle-management bureaucrat who can keep all the group's records and remind them to fill out all their requisition forms in triplicate if they want a share of the loot.

I don't think there's a 3.5 progression, but if you compare the one in SS with the 3.5 Monster Manual thing you can probably just use the SS one and swap out anything that's different. The most obvious thing is the DR - in Savage Species it's /+1, but in 3.5 it's /cold iron or good. I think some of the SLAs changed, too - they no longer get Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Darkness, Desecrate, or Doom, by the looks of it, or the 1/day Unholy Blight? And Teleport Without Error is now Greater Teleport.

56 minutes ago, paladinred said:

@mole75 Thank you for the info, do you know where the upgrade can be seen?

You're welcome. But like it was said, there's no (official) 3.5 update to the SS book or the rules therein.  

4 hours ago, TheFred said:

Savage Species has the Anthropomorphic Constrictor Snake (also Tauric, which is unfortunately restricted to things with 4+ legs but would actually work fine if houseruled to apply to snakes too). I think the only ways of adding arms are the Obah-Blessed template which is from some Dungeon Mag and I guess a lot of people don't allow, and the pseudo-template in the DMG2, it's one of the ones designed for NPCs but it has a +2 LA for if a DM feels like allowing it for a player (+2 LA for four arms is kinda eh anyway, and you'd need to apply it twice, if you even can, to get six). Obah-Blessed is like that but a fair bit stronger since it gives some chunky stat bumps and stuff too.

But I'm mostly just musing out loud... I think instead I will go with the Arcanaloth and make a pen-pushing, middle-management bureaucrat who can keep all the group's records and remind them to fill out all their requisition forms in triplicate if they want a share of the loot.

Half-Fiend Yuan-ti with Aberrant Limbs x2

DMG II pg 157
LA +2 not as good as the Obah-Blessed template, but it's offical.

Aberrant Limbs (Ex): The NPC was born with an extra pair of arms or an extra pair of legs. He might or might not be able to withdraw the aberrant limbs into his body to hide his unusual nature; if he can, he gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks made to hide the aberrant limbs. An NPC with an extra pair of arms gains Multiweapon Fighting as a bonus feat. The land speed of an NPC with an extra pair of legs increases by 20 feet.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Just now, Steel Warrior said:

DMG II pg 157
LA +2 not as good as the Obah-Blessed template, but it's offical.

I'm pretty sure that @TheFredwasn't responding to you, given what they wrote. They were replying to @paladinred's request about the succubus class. 

6 minutes ago, mole75 said:

I'm pretty sure that @TheFredwasn't responding to you, given what they wrote. They were replying to @paladinred's request about the succubus class. 

It was in reference to the below, and I was only helping by showing a valid template that isn't dragon magazine. I am at least trying to be helpful, but I feel like you keep trying to call me out for something.

If you don't like what I am saying, just ignore me.

9 hours ago, TheFred said:

Just now, Steel Warrior said:

It was in reference to the below, and I was only helping by showing a valid template that isn't dragon magazine. I am at least trying to be helpful, but you keep trying to call me out instead of giving advice.. Is this going to be a problem?

I'm sorry I was mistaken. You (originally - now edited) quoted a post that referred to the discussion on the changes of the succubus from 3.0 to 3.5. And to avoid confusion, I pointed that out. It was in no way an attempt to discredit your point. You are perfectly right about your point about the extra limbs, but that was not the post you appeared to repsond to. 

Edited by mole75 (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, mole75 said:

I'm sorry I was mistaken. You (originally - now edited) quoted a post that referred to the discussion on the changes of the succubus from 3.0 to 3.5. And to avoid confusion, I pointed that out. It was in no way an attempt to discredit your point. You are perfectly right about your point about the extra limbs, but that was not the post you appeared to repsond to. 

Sorry, I shouldn't have complained LOL. Yeah I clicked on the wrong post to quote and didn't realize it until I scrolled back to say.. hmm wrong one. It was to the right person though haha.