General Q&A

Michael

8 hours ago, Michael said:

Its the mechanics that kill it, not the looks.  One big arm dude with a bunch of dodgy ill explained abilities, it's not great.

I dunno, the bat-ears are a bit weird too... the MM2 has a lot of slightly dodgy rules, though, for sure.

Your monster has to come from book or books that included a numerical LA rating.  I understand there's inconsistency in these publications although I have a feeling its because some books weren't updated to 3.5 but regardless I'd argue with the inclusion of fiendish template I have given a wide enough lake in which to cast your net without me having to eyeball an LA for a creature that doesn't have one.

25 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

How did you want to do hit points, abilities, or starting gear? 

Max HP at first level, I don't understand the abilities question, and as described somewhere in the game description you start with no gear.

@Michael For all racial or template based abilities I'd like to clarify that they default to being based on Racial Hit dice unless they specifically state otherwise?

That is to say, if using the half-fiend template [MM1.147~148] they gain Spell Like Abilities based on their HD. Are those HD simply Character Hit Dice or are they specifically Racial Hit Dice? The same thing applies to a half-fey, feral, etc. so its more of a general question for anyone using templates.

1 hour ago, Steel Warrior said:

@Enkhoffer I was noticing, fiendish creature template cannot be applied to an outsider, but half-fiend can be.
Wasn't sure which template you were planning to use.

Oh, that's right - I'd planned on taking Fiendish, but Half-Fiend works just as well. Only I'd prefer to have it without wings.

3 minutes ago, Enkhoffer said:

Oh, that's right - I'd planned on taking Fiendish, but Half-Fiend works just as well. Only I'd prefer to have it without wings.

True, but we will be having a humanoid form we can change into, so wings aren't all bad LOL

3 minutes ago, Ryfte said:

@Michael For all racial or template based abilities I'd like to clarify that they default to being based on Racial Hit dice unless they specifically state otherwise?

That is to say, if using the half-fiend template [MM1.147~148] they gain Spell Like Abilities based on their HD. Are those HD simply Character Hit Dice or are they specifically Racial Hit Dice? The same thing applies to a half-fey, feral, etc. so its more of a general question for anyone using templates.

Any and all HD for template abilities.  Racial HD for any racial abilities, as a good example, and arcanalolth gets spell progression per it's racial HD, with an LA of +7 that means by 19th level it's a 12th level mage.  You could take mage levels on the other side of the gestalt at the appropriate levels to make him a 19th lvl mage at 19th, or the improved caster feat twice to get his caster lvl to 19 (still only the spell abilities of 12th)

Perhaps the main one here is caster level for overcoming SR, which is tied to racial HD.  I'd allow an improved SLA caster feat that upped your SLA caster lvl by 4.

1 minute ago, Enkhoffer said:

Given the value of wings, you can have a wingless version of the half fiend template at +3 LA instead of +4.

Your current requirement of an ECL of 12...

If we wanted to use something weaker, like an imp, without stacking templates on it, could we build out the progression to ECL 12 with additional RHD in the progression?

5 minutes ago, Ryfte said:

Your current requirement of an ECL of 12...

If we wanted to use something weaker, like an imp, without stacking templates on it, could we build out the progression to ECL 12 with additional RHD in the progression?

Imp specifically isn't allowed because it has no LA, however more generally yes, you can commit to monster HD to get a progression past 12.

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

Imp specifically isn't allowed because it has no LA, however more generally yes, you can commit to monster HD to get a progression past 12.

Savage species does have certain creatures with monstrous progressions that do not have LA listed, such as the Imp. Are those not viable options? Granted Savage Species is technically 3.0 as opposed to 3.5 material. 😉

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)