General Q&A

Michael

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hey everybody sheets dont work for me, I cannot create them and I cannot load them, a grey screen just hangs.  An ideas?

Not sure, the sheet I have is set up public, but I've now given you explicit permission to view.  See if that changes anything?  Julien Sheet

@Michael I was being unclear with my question I think...

Dragonborn Flight [Races of the Dragon pages 9~10] (paraphrased to keep all the mechanics):

- Gliding: A dragonborn can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20' of horizontal travel for every 5' of descent at a speed of up to 30' with average maneuverability. Regardless of improvements to maneuverability a dragonborn cannot hover while gliding nor can they carry any load heavier than a light load.

- Flight: At reaching 6HD a dragonborn can fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can double that length of flight but become fatigued if they do so. They likewise become fatigued if they spend more than 10 minutes total in flight in a single day. A fatigued character cannot run or charge and takes a -2 penalty to Str and Dex. Doing anything that would causes fatigue then makes the character exhausted. Exhausted characters move at half speed and take a -6 penalty to Str and Dex. It takes a full hour of complete rest to remove the exhausted condition, then becoming fatigued, and it takes 8 hours of complete rest to remove the fatigued condition.

At reaching 12HD a dragonborn has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. Flying now takes no more exertion than walking or running does.

Your 10 minute per level is a much more generous ruling at lower levels and obviously, at 12th level its much less so, heh. But I was asking as this does what I think you were intending, keeping flight more restricted at lower levels. With the dragonborn rules characters at pre-6th level can't fly at all, they can only glide. Their flight at 6th through 11th level would only be much more limited to a few consecutive rounds and double that at the cost of fatiguing themselves. Having full unlimited flight at 12HD being a high enough level that it seems viable. Raptorans, from the Races of the Wild, gain in a bit earlier with the same progression idea at 5HD and 10HD respectively. In general that seems to be where they settled on it towards the end of their 3.5 publishing run; 5~6 HD for the first "upgrade" and then 10~12 HD for the second "upgrade."

If we are sticking to house rules on flight do they ignore carrying loads? Does armor matter? Some DM's consider armor the same restriction as carried loads such that medium or heavy armor negates flight capability, regardless of if its a light load still. The idea being that the armor restricts movement and interferes with the ability too drastically. Can we jump off a cliff and glide down? *shrug*

Edit: Also, and I don't know why but I think... we had fluid alignments as well, didn't we? That is to say, we could be any alignment regardless of the monster entry. Obviously evil as we're going to be consuming intelligent beings with souls. 😈

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Ryfte said:

@Michael I was being unclear with my question I think...

Dragonborn Flight [Races of the Dragon pages 9~10] (paraphrased to keep all the mechanics):

- Gliding: A dragonborn can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20' of horizontal travel for every 5' of descent at a speed of up to 30' with average maneuverability. Regardless of improvements to maneuverability a dragonborn cannot hover while gliding nor can they carry any load heavier than a light load.

- Flight: At reaching 6HD a dragonborn can fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can double that length of flight but become fatigued if they do so. They likewise become fatigued if they spend more than 10 minutes total in flight in a single day. A fatigued character cannot run or charge and takes a -2 penalty to Str and Dex. Doing anything that would causes fatigue then makes the character exhausted. Exhausted characters move at half speed and take a -6 penalty to Str and Dex. It takes a full hour of complete rest to remove the exhausted condition, then becoming fatigued, and it takes 8 hours of complete rest to remove the fatigued condition.

At reaching 12HD a dragonborn has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. Flying now takes no more exertion than walking or running does.

Your 10 minute per level is a much more generous ruling at lower levels and obviously, at 12th level its much less so, heh. But I was asking as this does what I think you were intending, keeping flight more restricted at lower levels. With the dragonborn rules characters at pre-6th level can't fly at all, they can only glide. Their flight at 6th through 11th level would only be much more limited to a few consecutive rounds and double that at the cost of fatiguing themselves. Having full unlimited flight at 12HD being a high enough level that it seems viable. Raptorans, from the Races of the Wild, gain in a bit earlier with the same progression idea at 5HD and 10HD respectively. In general that seems to be where they settled on it towards the end of their 3.5 publishing run; 5~6 HD for the first "upgrade" and then 10~12 HD for the second "upgrade."

If we are sticking to house rules on flight do they ignore carrying loads? Does armor matter? Some DM's consider armor the same restriction as carried loads such that medium or heavy armor negates flight capability, regardless of if its a light load still. The idea being that the armor restricts movement and interferes with the ability too drastically. Can we jump off a cliff and glide down? *shrug*

Edit: Also, and I don't know why but I think... we had fluid alignments as well, didn't we? That is to say, we could be any alignment regardless of the monster entry. Obviously evil as we're going to be consuming intelligent beings with souls. 😈

OK, interesting.  I will allow anyone with wings to glide to avoid plummeting assuming there's enough space to do so (i.e. wingspan in confined spaces).  Those flight rules are nice for a character that has to fit in with regular characters but I think underpowered for this game, where flight will be common, also noting that in my ruling flight is a lesser power and as such is at will by 6th level, which I'd argue is still more generous.  I don't think I'll care much about loads or encumbrance, except in special circumstances, again those rules look tailored for 1 flyer in a bunch of walkers.

Alignment is generally more fluid in Eberron than others settings, and as the game progresses you might move around the alignment board but start out with the appropriate alignment for your race.

A few questions: 

Regarding roll20: How do you intend on using roll20? Do you use a time-slot where the players can take their turn? Or do you require all players to be present in real time for the combat (or turn)?

Regarding Languages: Does the fiends start with any additional languages (from intelligence and such) apart from the ones mentioned in the MM stats?

2 hours ago, mole75 said:

A few questions: 

Regarding roll20: How do you intend on using roll20? Do you use a time-slot where the players can take their turn? Or do you require all players to be present in real time for the combat (or turn)?

Regarding Languages: Does the fiends start with any additional languages (from intelligence and such) apart from the ones mentioned in the MM stats?

When you take your turn you logon to roll20 and move your character, if they are moving, after you have posted an action here.  Use roll20 the same way you use MW.  I am not running any real time combat sessions.

Yes, you get extra languages based on your int score, as per usual dnd3.5 rules.

Just now, Michael said:

When you take your turn you logon to roll20 and move your character, if they are moving, after you have posted an action here.  Use roll20 the same way you use MW.  I am not running any real time combat sessions.

Yes, you get extra languages based on your int score, as per usual dnd3.5 rules.

Thanks for both the answers. 

I was reading the Yagnoloth entry (in MM2) and I have questions, some of which are even relevant.

How does the Yanoloth wield a two-handed weapon in one hand? And, with its weak arm?

The Yanoloth's weak arm has effective Str of 10 and the Yagnoloth gets no Str bonus with it, but if it got, say, a Str bonus (e.g. from a magic item, whatever) would it still apply to the weak arm too?

The 3.5 update booklet says that the Yagnoloth's stunning blow's duration is now based on its "damage roll" (rather than damage dealt) and ambiguously says this is "1d6, without Strength modifier"... does that mean that only the base role is used to determine the duration, now? That would make sense, because stunning someone for, like, 30 rounds does seem kinda rough. Do no other bonuses apply? Presumably stuff like Improved Natural Attack would, though?

In other news, I was also debating an Arcanaloth. I guess I empathise more with "grasping, wheedling manipulators" than semi-musclebound asymmetrical brutes? That they are scribes and record-keepers makes me think an Archivist might be appropriate, or perhaps some kind of scroll-based Artificer? Given the lack of XP, would the old 5gp = 1 XP make sense? Or I could just forgo crafting (beyond the Craft Reserve, maybe), since Artificers are plenty good as it is. Sadly it doesn't seem possible to access the one scroll-based PrC (Unbound Scroll) without being a Dragonmarked gnome.

Would you consider allowing LA to be converted to racial HD with no extra bonuses, so you still have ECL 12, like a succubus will have 12d8 on one side, and none of their sla's change, other than you get bab, saves from your gestalt side could be a wizard, where d4's won't matter.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

Would you consider allowing LA to be converted to racial HD with no extra bonuses, so you still have ECL 12, like a succubus will have 12d8 on one side, and none of their sla's change, other than you get bab, saves from your gestalt side could be a wizard, where d4's won't matter.

This request simply confuses me. Apologies if I'm being obtuse... are you asking for full HD progression for Level Adjustment levels? With all normal HD associated benefits (i.e. BAB, Saves, and Skill Points)?

31 minutes ago, Ryfte said:

This request simply confuses me. Apologies if I'm being obtuse... are you asking for full HD progression for Level Adjustment levels? With all normal HD associated benefits (i.e. BAB, Saves, and Skill Points)?

Succubus is La +6 and 6HD.
So instead you convert the +6 LA to 6HD, for 12D8 total. No other bonus, except you hve D8's for the empty levels.

Then a Succubus 12|| Sorcerer 12 and still gain D8's instead of D4's for the dead levels.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)