Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol sat up grimacing as he shifted the bandages over his injuries.

"We've confirmed that Uruks from Mordor are present. And we can find our landing spot again so that a future force, or even the wizard himself could attack the Dwimmerhorn.

That was the essence of our mission. You could leave Elfwynn and I at the base of the stairs to Mountain Home. Game and fish from the stream should be in sufficient supply." He ended his suggestion as a fit of coughing started. But it was not so long or so heavy as previous fits.

Axe stats: Damage 9/Edge 10/Injury 20

spacer.png

Elfwynn nodded at Dahr-Ol's suggestion.

"While my arm is slow to heal, rabbits are not so ferocious. We have survived longer with less to eat. With a week's rest we could make for Stonyford afterwards. His mother would be pleased for him to visit and certainly could help tend his wounds."

spacer.png

After some discussions, the company decided not to linger on Traders' Isle. There was little left for them here, and both Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn would be sure to benefit from resting in a safe haven.

Stonyford was the one closest; a village of the Beornings, and home to both Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn. It lay upriver, and in the same general direction as Mountain-Hall. The company could rest there, as the folk of Stonyford still remembered how they had fought against Valter and his bandits, holding them off long enough for Beorn to arrive on the field and route them.

There was only one possible downside: Radagast had counselled for secrecy, and by arriving in Stonyford with such wounds, the company was bound to invite questions and give rise to rumors.

The other option was Mountain-Hall, which they had only recently departed from. Assuming that the mountain-goblin incursions had been dealt with, the Woodmen village could serve as an excellent sanctuary-but it lay further along the Vales, to the west, along a long hike up the foothills of the Misty Mountains.

OOC

@thesloth raises a good point-you could also go to Stonyford, where you should be welcomed. So I leave it up to you to decide.

I've attached the old map which shows your initial route; since the company is in Traders' Isle already, you are looking at only an upriver boat-journey towards the lands around Stonyford and then (potentially) a march up the Misty Mountains, if you head for Mountain-Hall.

The river-journey is an Athletics check (TN 14); the march up the mountains (assuming you go that way) is a Travel check (TN 14). Both receive a free Attribute bonus (+Body/Favored Body or +Heart/Favored Heart respectively), since you are just repeating a journey you have recently done.

Please include both rolls in your post and add (either in the IC or an OOC box) your PC's preference-Stonyford or Mountain-Hall. I'll go with the majority (and if the final decision is for Stonyford, I will disregard the Travel rolls).

Good luck!

Ernstyr of Rhosgobel

image.png.c4e8c72bc4927f7e9fc828e453de76dc.pngErnstyr considers Dahr-Ol's words, but shakes his head to the idea of separating. The journey had left him with more questions and worries, and leaving behind anyone would make it harder to gain answers. "If necessary we shall bear you up the mountain ourselves, or bring down supplies once we have made camp. Magric will want to remain in Mountain-Hall, I dare say--"

He paused, turning his head to the other Woodman. "And to you, my friend, I mean no disrespect; but this dangerous task does not seem to suit you. You need not prove yourself further."

OOCErnstyr would make for Mountain-Hall but will not go against the majority of the company; staying together is more important to him.

Name
Travel
[7] (2,2) = 11
tor(2,no) 7,2,2
No, this is Travel, the other is Athletics...
[7] (3,6,1) = 17
tor(3,no) 7,3,6,1

Gramtyng, son of Fastredtoken_1(5).png.ef12265c3f3702a2086fb7dc92be835c.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 8 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 1 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

Gramtyng had, as asked, tried to etch Walar's name into the stone. He was not skilled in stone-work, but was the most well-off in the company for now, and using his strength for that had made sense, if the dwarves had advised him. "...I would say Stoneyford is the choice." He finally said. "Splitting up is unwise. We still have our mission, though we've failed the timely need of it, but we should see it to the end... Without distraction." His mood was dark and he had not welcomed conversation. One fight, that was all it took for them to be hobbled. Putting aside that they'd only bought Walar a few seconds of life... Was it worth it? Would people die because they would delay to heal Dahr-Ol? Going without him was out of question, to the horselord. How could he leave a companion behind? Quarrels and disagreements mattered little. "...We can make our way back into the marshes easier from there, than from Mountain Hall."

OOC/Actions

Name
Athletics TN14 (free bonus +5)
[1] (2,6,6,4) = 19
tor(4,no) 1,2,6,6,4
Travel TN14(Free bonus +5
[6] (4,6,2) = 18
tor(3,no) 6,4,6,2

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Their last night on Trader's Isle had been one fraught with discussion and argument, but eventually the decision was made to head North once more and retreat to somewhere safer. Somewhere that Dahr-Ol could receive the medical care and rest that he so obviously required.

The arguments came, however, over their destination. The Beorning village of Stonyford was closest, being just a few miles upriver from where the company would have to turn off for the hike back to Mountain Hall. That would save them the better part of a week's travel and allow Dahr-Ol more time to recover. However, the wizard had advised the company to utmost secrecy, therefore a visit to the village would put that part of their mission in jeopardy. Assuming, of course, there was still a mission to complete.

On that final night resting, the conversation around the fire was strained. " ... Look, I know Radagast wants us to avoid attention," Barin argued, "But even he could not have foreseen what has befallen us. I say we head for the Beorning village. It's closer, and Dahr-Ol has kin there. If ..." He shot a cautious glance in the direction of Dahr-Ol and Elfwynn and cringed slightly. "If, the worst should happen, at least he'll be among his own people. Plus, it's closer so he'll get medical care sooner. I think the time for secrecy is over - the Orcs still living will have doubtless reported back by now, so our presence here is no longer going unnoticed, so the best we can hope for is to try and avoid the servants of the shadow. Plus, if anyone asks, we're on a journey to the far South - perhaps answering a call to Gondor, we were waylaid by foulspawn and decided to head back North to the nearest village. That way, no-one needs know the true nature of our task."

Name
Athletics (TN14) + bonus 6
1d12+1d6+6 10,4
Travel (TN14) + bonus 3 [heart]
1d12+3d6+3 4,3,1,2

spacer.pngMagric listened to the discussions and nodded along, indicating his agreement. Ernstyr's remark made him fall into a deep silence for a few minutes; he felt his pride wounded, but there was no denying it-the Woodman was right. Even he had to come to terms with it.

"Stonyford it is..." he added at length, and looked to Ernstyr again. There was no bitterness or anger in his eyes, only acceptance. "You 're right, friend: I am not cut out for this."

His eyes turned to Gramtyng for a moment; then he cast down his gaze as if one in shame-a look that seemed to say "I am sorry..." to his old friend.

"Anyway. If you need someone to send word to the old man..." (and by that, he meant Hartfast, the chieftain of Mountain-Hall) "...of what we found in the marshes, then I can continue while the rest of you remain in Stonyford. I'm not much use around the wounded anyway."

OOC

Looks like the majority favors Stonyford... I'll wait for Modest Proposal's post & rolls for Cecil and then move us forward.

Cecil Brandybuck

Cecil sat with back against a mercifully dry log. "If you must go, Magric, remember us to Lachiel, our friend."

He rather liked the idea of Stonyford, far as it was from the mountainside. Open plains and rocky hillsides were pleasantly predictable. The question remained if Dahr-Ol could travel in his condition. The Boerning had regained much of his autonomy, but he did not strike Cecil as one will to reveal the extent of his injuries.

“I do not think Dahr-Ol is in any condition to climb foothills, let alone a mountainside. Besides,” Cecil hesitated, careful to avoid Ernstyr. “Who is to say Mountain Hall is safe? We do not know how many orcs crawled out of that mine in our absence. Even if it were safe - news travels through towns faster than villages. - Not that I think mountain folk are gossipers! But there’s always one…”

The wizard’s mission had already been compromised. The orcs knew of the presence. More would come. He wondered why they should endure such perils, while the brown wizard wandered through his fields of mushrooms in safety. If he were as wonderous as the other have said...

Name
Travel
[1] (2,6) = 9
tor(2,no) 1,2,6

spacer.png

(Art by Jon Hodgson for The One Ring 1st edition)

Chapter 3: The passage of the marshes

Scene 19: Stonyford

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Thirty-three days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Morning.

Despite working against the Anduin, and despite their newly acquired burdens (since, despite any possible protests, Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn were not permitted to aid with the rowing), the company made good headway. On the morning of the fourth day-and more than a month after setting out from Rhosgobel on their long and meandering journeys-Dahr-Ol pointed out several landmarks. Soon, familiar sights filled the eyes: green fields and apiaries, and the village palisades, and the great round-house where the Beornings gathered as per the customs of the Vale-folk of old.

Few of the companions needed introductions. Most were well-remembered here for their actions against Valter the Bloody. Even the rest were treated as good old friends, even if they were in fact fresh faces. Being in the company of heroes had its perks, it seemed.

Of course, Dahr-Ol's kin accepted all with great hospitality, though there was great distress (and an even greater amount of probing questions) about the Beornings' wounds. Soon enough, it was the bed for both he and Elfwyn, and nothing but rest-whether they liked it or not.

spacer.pngAs a few slow and uneventful days passed, the company received some much-needed rest, and was beginning to put the travails of their travels behind them. Magric did not linger, continuing towards Mountain-Hall to act as messenger. Dahr-Ol and Elfwyn rested throughout the long hours, and the former at least seemed to be getting better by the day. Cecil found himself making new friends: the Beornings were a simple and rustic folk, and so was their cooking, but they were as hungry for tale and song as any other. Barin spoke to the local chiefs about this and that, and it quickly became apparent that the goblins that troubled Mountain-Hall and the river-folk of Traders' Isle have not yet penetrated the defenses of Stonyford. Indeed, the village seemed to be enjoying some much-needed respite after the troubles of past years.

Ernstyr spent his time much like the others, and his keen eyes kept a lookout, and thus it was he that first saw the raven perched on one of the standing-stones. An unremarkable sight, but the bird seemed to be watching them. Perhaps it was one of Radagast's friends? It certainly seemed friendlier than others of its kind; and it could be no spy, since it did not try to hide itself or fly away. Instead, it cawed loudly, seeking to gain the Woodman's attention.

The Woodman brought the news to Gramtyng. Had Gramtyng been more perceptive, he would have recognised the raven before: for it had accompanied them during the last day of their river-journey, but from such heights that even Ernstyr had not noticed. From a closer distance, Gram could observe and remember: this was Thunir, and he was indeed one of Radagast's own.

The raven bore a message for them, a tiny piece of parchment rolled and cunningly concealed by the bird's foot. On it was written the following in small script.

spacer.png"Dear fellows and friends, feathered or not,

Our earthen-colored father has return to the nest, as has his flock. The foray has proven fruitful. More I cannot write, but I hope yours goes well. Let us gather again at the nest at such time that is appropriate. Send your reply, but be brief, and be careful!

Yours,

B."

OOC

Ok, so Ernstyr makes the Athletics check because of his Favoured Body of +4 (and the free attribute bonus). Cecil fails and gains +1 Fatigue from the river-journey, but it should not matter if you spend many days here resting.

I am guessing that the company will stay here until Dahr-Ol heals and then return to the marshes. Please let me know if you plan otherwise. I will move us quickly from hereon, fast-forwarding the journeys, but first I want to give you a moment to respond to the message (I assume everyone in the company sees it eventually).

If it doesn't make sense, feel free to roll Riddle (TN 14).

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol's mother, Avina, was stocky and broad shouldered, typical of the women from the hills, where life was cruel at best. Jet black hair in barely tamed curls fell to her shoulders. Sharp green eyes assessed her son, and the companions who brought him home. She quickly made the decision they were good folk and welcomed them with what little she had. Always there was a fire in the hearth for any who felt a chill, and she kept a thick broth simmering, should any be hungry.

For Dahr-Ol she reserved some sharp words in the hill people tongue, possibly an older version of Westron. It was clear this was not his first injurty to be tended. For Elfwynn, who even wounded insisted on helping with keeping the home, she reserved a softer remonstration if she worked her injured arm too heavily. Though thickly accented her common was understandable. She made introductions throughout the village, clearly pleased that her son was home and in the company of brave warriors. Often, she stared a bit longer at Gramtyng. As if the sight of a horse lord unsettled her in some fashion.

Dahr-Ol endured his time of rest as best he could. Naturally active, he was not thrilled to be confined to his bed. He had often played among the large stones of the river as a lad, though. And their appeal as sport had not waned. On his third day home he thought to give an easy one a quick climb.

Avina was quick, forthright, and as loud as any man when she scolded him for trying to climb one near the shore. Chagrined, he returned to the hut before his mother could summon Elfwynn to help her. He was not so stupid as to risk the wrath of both his mother and Elfwynn. He would rather face the Black Uruk again.

Learning of the message and it's coded language he understood the need for secrecy and gave his own suggestion for a reply.

"Our own journey has been eventful. It might be wise not to look for us too soon. Our tidings will prove father's concerns well founded. But the path forward will be discernable."

Axe stats: Damage 9/Edge 10/Injury 20

spacer.png

Elfwynn listened, such deceptive language was often necessary among those of her people who did not fully support the leadership of the sorcerers. She nodded approving of the overall tone and content.

"There is no hint that we fought or were injured, that is good, for such information would serve to confirm our recent scouting too clearly.

Now let us go sit by the Anduin. Your mother says we both could use the fresh air, but attempt to climb the rocks again even once and it will be the bed for you for the next two days. She's even threatened to ask Barin to hog tie you if you keep trying..."