Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

Idunn listened at Bróin's words and counsel, but she still was overwrought with anger, and so she was unable, or unwilling, to understand any of it.

"He made a vow to stop, and to sever all ties with the Toft. That was two years ago-orcs shackled in irons cannot survive that long; Viglund has already taught me that. But if he has decided to break his promise... then he should not be allowed as an equal amongst the Woodmen."

spacer.pngShe spoke all this quietly, for she feared Mogdred's spies, and even Ragnacar she could not trust at this point, despite his friendship with Tarric. She turned to Radagast and quietly sought his counsel, but the wizard did not say anything; he only looked back at her grimly.

Then at length Bróin spoke with Vara, and dwarf and raven agreed on what to do next, and soon Vara was off again, black feathers into the black night, seeking further answers from the forbidden tower. Confident she had been, but soon minutes turned to hours, and on and on time passed without her returning to them. Uneasily Bróin slept that night, expecting his close companion, but it would not be until the morning that Vara would return to them...

OOC

That's all the time I've got today, so I hope to return to this next week. Of you want to just RP the passing of the night, that's totally ok with me, but let's keep it mechanics-free for now.

Despite the cliffhanger, I plan to interpret 'the current situation worsens' as us being woken up before dawn by Ragnacar, who will warn us to leave as quickly as possible, as Vara was just discovered (and give us supplies, because of a previous result). We can choose to listen to him or not.

Vara will not immediately reunite with Bróin as she is clever and would probably try to protect him from any accusations (plausible deniability and all that). She'll do it as soon as we're on our way, in the forest. This can be used to create some (fake) dramatic tension with Bróin, if Maester wants to RP it, but I don't intend to have Vara hurt or anything like that.

I guess 'the current situation worsens' could be interpreted as Vara getting hurt, but I'd rather interpret it as further deteriorating relationships with Dagmar, and given our terrible luck I think we could use a more narrative (instead of mechanical) consequence.

Time: An hour before dawn, five days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIt was in the early hours of the next day, in the hour before dawn, when Ragnacar came to them at the stables, seeking to warn them. He found them not entirely unprepared: Beran had been awake, standing watch, for the Woodmen that followed Idunn did not trust Mogdred's men fully, thinking it folly to stay the night without sentry, despite Dagmar's begrudging hospitality.

Many hours had it been by that point since Vara had departed, and still she had not returned: and so Bróin's choice was proving to have been ill, though nothing could be done about it at present.

Despite Idunn's distrust, Ragnacar had not come to spy on them: instead, he wished to warn them. As Beran roused those that had managed to get some sleep, Radagast included, Tarric's friend spoke quietly, but with a tone of great urgency.

"You must go. Now! The keepers of the tower discovered what you did, and soon they will tell Dagmar, and she will not be pleased."

Pausing briefly, he lay a few bags at his feet.

"Supplies for your journey. Take them, and run! I will answer for you,and say that you sought an early start, and I will play the fool if I need to. Yet if you stay and try to deny it, I do not know what Dagmar would do. Guests or not, she would most likely keep you here until Mogdred returned to deal with the matter. But if you fly now, you can deny any accusations. That is what I counsel you do."

OOC

I already chatted a bit about this on Discord, but basically we have now a choice:

1. Leave at once; this will result in a chase scene that we can resolve in detail (Scene Challenge) or quickly (Face Danger).

2. Stay, and try to defend our actions (or maybe deny them) to Mogdred, when he returns.

In your next post, please feel free to indicate what your PC prefers we do. We can decide the final outcome as a group.

spacer.png

Concern and anxiety hanging heavy over him, Bróin is wide awake and pacing about when Ragnacar arrives with ill tidings. Had Vara been captured? Impossible he thought. The sentries were as likely to hit a falling leaf as they were to bring down a child of Ravenhill. But that still begged the question of how the tower keepers even spotted her; as far as Bróin knew she was one raven amongst many to their eyes. Unless the Men of Tyrant's Hill had much better eyes than he had presumed, or Vara had done something to give herself away.

Ragnacar's words do little to alleviate Bróin's worries, but at the mention of Mogdred a flash of realization glints in his eyes. "Hmmm... not the best of circumstances to meet under aye, but I've negotiated under worse. However odious the prevailing feeling of the man may be, bringing Mogdred on side for this expedition may be just the turn of fortune we need."

OOC

Current Momentum: +5

Bróin's inclined to stay and make his case before Mogdred. If nothing else it gives him a forum to initiate a dialogue with the guy.

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 9 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

"And what do they think we have done, that we should flee like guilty children? Better to stay and clear all sides of the matter," Tarric said with emphasis.

He clasped forearms with his friend. "Ragnacar, I thank you for the warning, and for the supplies. Please do not risk yourself further on our account. And if this sorry place rejects you for what you have already done, I trust Rhosgobel will give you a much warmer welcome, if you choose to go there."

OOC/Mechanics

Tarric also votes to stay.

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

Idunn had been busy with hastily gathering her belongings from the moment when Ragnacar had explained the situation; but as she listened to Bróin and Tarric, she paused, putting the task on hold.

"This is... dangerous. It may be us that will soon end up in that tower, with orcs to keep us company. But you are right: fleeing now would be an admission of guilt, and we have done nothing wrong."

She sighed deeply.

"Then let us stay, and see what else we can learn here, and hope that the hospitality of Tyrant's Hill does not drastically worsen."

She turned to look to the wizard, but Radagast had no word of advice for her.

OOC

I'll add more later (as a separate post) to advance the plot.

spacer.pngRagnacar opened his mouth as if to say something, but he thought better of it, and so he paused. He seemed unsure of their decision, but he respected it, and at length he came to terms with it.

"I will speak to Mogdred for you, when he returns. I'd offer to do the same for Dagmar, but it won't do you much good. I doubt she'll listen."

He readied himself to leave, but before parting he wished them good luck.

spacer.pngRadagast broke his silence when he was gone.

"There is evil here, lurking in the hearts of Mogdred's folk. Or, at any rate, some of them. They are already suspicious, and they do not like me, and this incident will only make matters worse."

He fell silent: at that moment, the sound of many wolf-hounds barking angrily reached the stable. They could not be too far, and it was not difficult to guess why they had been roused from their slumber. At once Uthred sprang to his feet and growled, but Idunn tried to calm him.

"Quickly! We have only a moment! Let's at least agree on what we shall tell them! They will ask about Vara: they think all crows and ravens of the woods are my servants, messengers and... spies. But Vara has a mind of her own. Perhaps pinning it all on her is the best we can do now."

OOC

Dagmar is coming, and there's only enough time for one post for every PC. I'll then push things forward.

unknown.png

Tarric

"I say there is no need for a story," Tarric replied calmly. "If wrong has been done here, it was not by us. We should answer with truth, and require truth in return."

OOC/Mechanics

n/a

Assets

When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)

spacer.png

"Absolutely not!" Bróin raises his voice at Radagast, a rare break in the Dwarf's genial and judicious manner. "Vara did only what was asked of her. Asked of her by me. I will not betray her confidence and trust to save my own hide. In that I agree with Tarric; truth for truth. Who knows, perhaps giving these folk the benefit of the doubt for even a moment might begin to drain the poisonous shadow you claim rest within their hearts."

OOC

spacer.pngRadagast turned to look at Bróin, and there was a gleam of anger in his eyes, but the dwarf had the final word: for even if the Brown Wizard had wanted to argue with him, there was no time. No sooner had Bróin spoken his mind than Dagmar arrived, accompanied by barking hounds and armed warriors. If there had been anger or annoyance in Radagast's eyes, then Dagmar's surely shone with wrath, and her voice was harsh and loud as she spoke, demanding answers.

spacer.png"Where is that accursed black bird?" she said, her eyes affixed primarily on Radagast, whom she took responsible for the whole affair-he was, after all, the company's leader (or at least so she thought). "Is that why you've come here? To spy? You knew that the tower was forbidden!"

OOC

I'll leave you to handle this as you wish. Remember that in Ironsworn, moves like Compel have to make sense narratively; if an NPC is outright hostile or unwilling to help, Compel simply cannot be used. In this case, it depends on what your characters say-we can chat about it in the OOC or Discord.

I don't think Dagmar is the brightest around, so I'll give her an Unlikely chance (76+) she splits up the group for interrogation. Rolling below...

Edit: Nope. We stick together.

Name
Ask the Oracle
1d100 6

unknown.png

Tarric

"We came here exactly as we said, as a waypoint in our journey elsewhere and hoping for a brief respite with a roof over our heads. Radagast has sent no spies against you. Indeed he's said barely a word since we arrived." The Beorning kept his voice calm and measured. He shifted forward to attract the focus away from the brown wizard and perhaps intercept any inopportune attacks.

"As for the tower, if you wish to hide wrongdoing you should not draw attention to it so blatantly. It was I who heard the orcs as I was passing outside." Tarric spread his hands questioningly. "Am I to believe Mogdred has broken his oath to the Moot? This grieves me, but what other explanation can there be?"

OOC/Mechanics

any roll tbd in discord

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

spacer.pngTarric's calm words did little to help dissipate Dagmar's anger. But one thing, at least, was clear: neither she nor any of Mogdred's men had Vara; Bróin, perhaps, could breathe a sigh of relief at this new knowledge, even if other tidings were now ill.

"I should have never granted you hospitality. Neither should any be afforded to your kin of the other Houses of the Woodmen. But now all courtesy you repay with spying first, and then lies."

Her men begun to close in, with hands on their sword-hilts, but their blades still rested in their scabbards. What their purpose was, the company could not say, but soon Dagmar turned to them and spoke harshly:

"Mogdred will deal with them. When he returns.

Watch them closely. The wizard especially. He is full of tricks."

And just as she was about to leave, she turned to Radagast, and spoke a few parting words: "Now the hunt will begin. For a certain black bird..."

OOC

Before I finish this post, let me roll something. There's a small chance that Dagmar blurts out something potentially informative (91+).

Edit: No. Ok. She's not that impulsive.

Now, based on the previous post, it is Likely (26+) that Mogdred arrives on the next day. Let me ask the Oracle.

Edit: He does. I'll write the post about it later, but I'll make an Idunn POV post (and feel free to add your own, though we're not exactly at liberty to discuss things given the guards). One day and one night will pass uneventfully, though quite uncomfortably, as we'll be under the watchful eyes of the men of Tyrant's Hill.

Everyone, take -2 Momentum for the delay; I think it's an appropriate Pay the Price given how badly things have gone for us.

Name
Ask the Oracle
1d100 13
Ask the Oracle
1d100 91

Scene 6: A feast of crows

Time: Early morning, five days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

The rest of the day passed uncomfortably yet uneventfully. Guests Dagmar had called them, but in truth they were more akin to prisoners, or hostages.

Such courtesy had not been unknown to the huntress. Viglund had given her much the same treatment, only months prior. And though their so-called hosts did not further disturb them, and even allowed them the keeping of their own weapons, their gaze was vigilant, and their lookouts made escape challenging, if not outright impossible.

Ragnacar was amongst them, and though he spoke not to them, the companions could discern a feeling of guilt about him. He did not enjoy his new role as jailor, especially since he counted Tarric as a friend.

Still, the company had no plans to escape. Their goal was to wait for Mogdred, and to try and clear up this mess with the lord of Tyrant's Hill.

As for Radagast, he returned to his earlier silence, adding sorrow this time as well, and he looked as one lost in thought.

spacer.pngEarly when the next day dawned, those amongst them that had managed to sleep were roused from it by the arrival of Dagmar. Grim and yet glad she looked in the grey morning, and she was accompanied by her hunters: a handful of men and women with grim faces like hers, and bows at their backs. She tossed a black, heavy-looking sack at the center of their encampment, and uttered but a single word.

"Breakfast. In payment for your deeds."

On her lips was a wicked smile, goading them to look within, and to react to what some of them might already half-guess.

OOC

Updated Idunn's momentum (-2).

About this scene: I am not sure if I am going too far with the grimness of it; if so, let me know and I can retcon or fast-forward away from it. Here are some options:

• A PC who wants to look in the sack can do so with a Face Danger +heart. Apply or interpret the results as you see fit, as there's room for all interpretations.
  • As you might guess, the sack contains a bunch of random dead crows and ravens. Vara is not amongst them, though.
  • As a response to this, if any PCs are angered, one could attempt to fight with Dagmar. This can be done as an Enter the Fray +shadow (just surprising her) or with more procedures, for example as a Draw the Circle move.
  • The fight won't be to the death, but Dagmar will be eager for it; she won't back off or ask her men for help because she has something to prove. Essentially, it will be a duel. We can decide if weapons will be used or not (it can be a fist-fight).
  • Dagmar is Likely (26+) Dangerous; otherwise Formidable. We can Ask the Oracle after someone chooses to duel with her (to keep a bit of suspense).

Really curious to see what your PCs will do. I think Idunn was hot-headed, but recent experiences have made her cool off, so I'm happy to not take the lead here. But if you want, I can Ask the Oracle to see what she will do.

spacer.png

Bróin falls back into silent pacing as he and the company takes up their imprisonment, giving the Brown Wizard a wide berth as he does so. He had noticed the anger in Radagast's eyes when they spoke and had no intention of inviting conflict at this most inopportune of times. Even still, a part of him was perturbed at the ease with which the Wizard was prepared to betray his friend - especially when that friend was a creature of nature! Were such beings not his province?

Dagmar's posturing does little to raise the Dwarf's spirits, but upon seeing the bag on the ground Bróin's morbid concern got the better of him and prompted him to check the bag's contents. Revulsion and disgust play across his face as the bag's contents reveal themselves to him... but also relief. Vara was not amongst the dead it would seem.

But after all this senseless cruelty Bróin's patience was at an end. "So that's it then. Out of fear or pique you would despoil the land and those who dwell in it? Surely you must see that this is madness! Surely you must see the ceaseless wheel upon which you all turn!"

OOC

So that's a weak hit on the Face Danger roll. I'll take the hit to Momentum then, bringing me down to +4 Momentum.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Face Danger+Heart: Challenge Dice
4; 8
1d10;1d10 [4]; [4,8]
Face Danger+Heart: Action Die
1d6+2 6

spacer.pngMany amongst the company reacted with quiet, seething anger, clenching their fists as the dwarf opened the sack. Yet they spoke no words, letting Bróin do the talking. In truth, they half-suspected what Dagmar and her men had done; thus, the grim discovery did not take them by surprise, though it did not diminish their disgust.

Radagast eyed the woman harshly, sorrow now giving way to wrath that he still managed to contain. But he too could tell that Vara was not amongst the slain, though he knew by name some of the other, more unfortunate, corvids.

"They are simply birds of carrion, master dwarf: scavengers of battlefields and things of ill-omen. Little better than orcs. If it was you or yours that were slain, they would have no qualms about devouring your own corpse. So why are you so upset?"

spacer.png

"They do what they must to survive! They do what is in their nature because they know no better! But you - all of you - should know better! You who have all suffered uncounted atrocities at the hands of the Shadow - yes even when you were the blades yourselves - should be wariest of all, yet even still you allow yourselves to walk betwixt it and the light. Why? Perhaps it is because you know no better... but there is a way out! And you have the opportunity to be better than what you were. I pray that you take it."

Bróin exhales breathlessly as he finishes his speech, confused as to where such feelings were coming from. Was it the hope to see Men rise above the mistakes of past Ages? Or simply a plea for the sake of a friend in danger?

OOC

Current Momentum: +4