Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngspacer.png"You speak such words because you know nothing. How can you? You have never fought the orcs as I have, nor seen their depravity in Dol Guldur. Had you seen what I have seen, you would know: all who fight them must harden their hearts and leave within them no room for mercy.

These birds? They matter not. Let Black Tarn Hall be content with hiding behind Tyrant's Hill, and let your master, Bofri, dream his foolish dreams about that old dwarf-road. But it is those like me and my kin that must do the fighting. So leave such fighting to us and be off on your merry way."

Radagast, distraught by all that was taking place, still said nothing, but Beran stepped forth to challenge her. He did not offer any insults, at least not openly; his words were as calm and measured as the dwarf's.

"And yet still in your struggle with them you turn to senseless slaughter, doing what they do for nothing but sport. How much more must you harden your hearts before you are no better than orcs yourselves?"

OOC

I'll leave this here for now, but if anyone wants to add something feel free. If not, I'll move us to the next scene.

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 7 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

"It seems that point has already passed, Beran," Tarric rumbled. "For who but orcs would not only turn away - drive away - those that had been allies, but delight in senseless killing as well? And then try to claim themselves superior for it, as if giving in to evil is some difficult deed. They do not realize that strength is in those who meet the evil and do not let it consume them."

He turned his shoulder in dismissal, though not fully giving his back to Dagmar. "There is no point in further talk here. Orcs will not listen, nor understand."

OOC/Mechanics

Updated Tarric's momentum per previous posts (-2, now 7/10).

And Tarric's anger finally gets the better of him, possibly.

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

Name
Ask Oracle: Fight? 51+ is Yes
1d100 68

spacer.png"Then fly away to hide under the robes of women and wizards, after lord Mogdred learns of what you did. Yet neither Amaleoda nor Radagast will protect you from the orcs of Fenbridge. Eventually, you will come back groveling to Mogdred and Tyrant's Hill, to beg for their protection, as your kin did in the folk-moot not long ago."

She paused, and she turned to her own men to add the final insult.

"For such is the valor of the Houses of the Woodmen: to seek others to do their fighting."

The words were spoken as a challenge: it was clear that Dagmar sought a fight, plain and simple, and would only escalate, and would not listen to any argument, however compelling. But her men stood silent, neither approving nor rejecting her words, but merely observing.

OOC

I think this is the last challenge; we can leave it here or someone can give her what she wants, which is a fight. I'll leave this here for a few days; Idunn may have a few choice words to add, which I will post if I can find the time.

unknown.png

Mom: 10 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

"If that is what you think, then you have not been paying attention," Tarric snarled, turning back. More than a little of the bear leaked into his tone, and his fists clenched. Olwinne looked over at the sound, then back to the sack of dead birds and pointedly stayed where she was. He took one ponderous step, then another.

"I did not see you when we fought the orcs at Rhosgobel. I did not see you when I tore the heart from a spawn of Shelob. I see before me only a small, evil creature who does nothing but bark and snipe and whine."

He pointed at her commandingly. "I challenge you, Dagmar. Let's see if you can stand before someone who can actually fight back. No weapons, no armor. Or will you run and hide? Behind Mogdred, perhaps?"

OOC/Mechanics

Challenging Dagmar to this world's version of Draw the Circle, basically a duel. -- Strong Hit (+1 momentum, and can make up to 3 boasts for +1 momentum each).

For boasts, Tarric will add (a) No armor/shield (foe's harm is +1) and (b) No weapon - I include no bear form in that (own harm is 1). He'll challenge Dagmar to do the same, though I'm not sure if that kinda cancels out the Harm effects of his own boasts or not... For now though that gives him +2 more momentum, for a full 10.

Assets

When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Draw the Circle + heart
1d6+3 2
vs Challenge Dice
3; 1
1d10;1d10 [3]; [3,1]

spacer.pngThe wicked smile on Dagmar's lips grew wider.

"Boast all you like while you still have teeth in your mouth. Mighty words are empty without the strength to back them. But I am glad to put what strength you may possess to the test, and to teach you a lesson."

The men seemed to grow disquiet at the turn of events, but Dagmar commanded them to step back and stand still. They obeyed, albeit hesitantly, as Dagmar unclasped her belt and set her sword, sheathed in its scabbard, to the keeping of Ragnacar, who watched in a detached manner. Then, with the help of one of her own men, she removed her mail coat, following Tarric's challenge in full.

spacer.pngspacer.pngWithout any words, a space had been cleared for the two of them to settle their arguments with fists. While Dagmar made ready, Radagast stood quiet and stern, his cold gaze fixed solely on the warrior-woman, but he said nothing. As for Idunn, she approached Tarric, and she gave him a concerned look, but at length she simply wished him good luck before falling back with the others. In truth, she supported her companion's decision fully-this Dagmar had become insufferable, and it was high time to make her pay.

Then at length Dagmar turned to face her foe and raised her fists high in a defensive posture, and she spoke again.

"Ready?"

OOC

Looks like we have a fight, so feel free to now Enter the Fray +heart to continue.

As far as challenges go, I think boasts are not meant for the opponent in vanilla Ironsworn, but in this case Dagmar will accept, as described in the IC. Mechanically... I think it should have an impact on her rank; I was going to make her Likely (26+) Dangerous, otherwise Formidable, but given the narrative framing, let's bump her down a bit, making her Likely (26+) Troublesome, otherwise Dangerous. I'll Ask the Oracle below.

For the next parts, let's handle the narrative as follows: you make the rolls and describe Tarric's actions, especially the successes (feel free to describe Dagmar's as well). If Dagmar is winning for a little while (e.g., you score a miss), I can also jump in with some description, if you want. Up to you!

Feel free to also include Olwinne's actions if/when appropriate.

I think other PCs should be able to help Tarric by, for example, shouting words of encouragement; an Aid your Ally move. Maybe we limit it to once per allied PC to avoid spamming, and to make it potentially dramatic when it does happen.

Edit: The Oracle has spoken, and she's none too kind... so Dangerous it is. Still better than Formidable, which I think would be unwinnable with the boasts...

Unarmed Dagmar (Dangerous foe)

Progress: □□□□□□□□□□

Harm: 3 (+1 because Tarric's unarmoured)

Name
Ask the Oracle (Dagmar's rank)
1d100 15

unknown.png

Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Tarric did not bother to reply, but stepped forward swinging, his punch aimed straight for Dagmar's chin. Perhaps she'd been expecting more boasting -- it was a strong, direct blow through her defenses, and the insufferable woman's head was thrust to the side with the force, and she staggered slightly.

Before she could regain her balance, the Beorning struck again, this time a heavy kick aimed at her side. He could dimly hear others' sounds and register their general presence, but his focus was wholly on his opponent. He wanted to end this quickly.

But Dagmar was not without skill. She grunted at the impact, but managed to set her feet and grasp his leg, twisting viciously in a move that left Tarric falling to the floor. The woman followed up by dropping herself, elbow-first, into his gut, with all her weight behind it. The air left him in a painful wheeze.

OOC/Mechanics

Strike 1 + iron - Weak Hit, but burn momentum to make it a Strong Hit. Reset Momentum to 2, Inflict harm +1 (2 harm, 4 progress boxes), and retain initiative.

Strike 2 + iron - Weak Hit. Inflict your harm (1 harm, 2 progress boxes) but lose initiative.

Dagmar's turn. Her progress bar is at 6/10, but Tarric needs a Strong Hit again before he could try to End the Fight.

Clash 3 + iron - Weak Hit. Inflict your harm (1 harm, 2 progress boxes so now 8/10) but Pay the Price and Dagmar retains initiative.

Pay the Price - Tarric takes the 3 harm (Health now 2/5)

Endure Harm + iron - Weak Hit. Press on.

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Combat: Dagmar (Dangerous)
Bonds:

Name
Strike 1 + iron
1d6+2 2
Challenge 1
1; 8
1d10;1d10 [1]; [1,8]
Strike 2 + iron
1d6+2 3
Challenge 2
5; 1
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,1]
Clash 3 + iron
1d6+2 2
Challenge 3
3; 9
1d10;1d10 [3]; [3,9]
Endure Harm + iron
1d6+2 3
Challenge Endure Harm
6; 3
1d10;1d10 [6]; [6,3]

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

Like the rest of them, Idunn watched the struggle closely, cheering with the others when Tarric managed to land a hit. Everything happened quickly: at first, her companion seemed to gain the upper hand, but quickly Dagmar managed to counter-attack, and now Tarric was in trouble.

She did not know much about fighting, especially fighting of this kind, which in her mind was not much different from a tavern brawl. Still, what she lacked in experience, she tried to make up for with enthusiasm, crying words of advice to her friend as the men of Tyrant's Hill-now suddenly energized with the excitement of the fight-cheered on their own fighter.

"Get back to your feet, Tarric! Get up! On the ground she has the advantage!"

OOC

Unarmed Dagmar (Dangerous foe)

Progress: ■■■■■■□□□□

Harm: 3 (+1 because Tarric's unarmoured)

There-I never expected Idunn to be a cornerman (cornerwoman?) in an impromptu MMA match screaming advice, but here you have it. Let me try to Aid your Ally +wits by trying to figure out Dagmar's fighting style and how to counter it...

Edit: Ugh. That's a +1 Momentum for Tarric, but it doesn't give him initiative back. Sorry, she tried!

Name
Aid your Ally +wits
1d6+3 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 6,10

unknown.png

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Still wheezing, Tarric heard Idunn's words over the shouts and jeering. She was right - he couldn't let himself be pinned like this. But Dagmar was down here with him... his broad hand struck out, aiming for her face. The woman twisted away, though, and his hand slid off uselessly. She leaned harder on her elbow and the Beorning struggled to move but refused to give up just yet.

Shadow edged Tarric's vision, but oddly he found it increased his focus. He would not lose here. Not only for his pride, but also for what might happen to his companions if he fell. His glance fell across the sad parcel of dead birds, not far away. Vara may not have been among them this time, but what of next? And the birds that were in there had deserved their fate not at all. He'd seen Radagast's face. They were no less friends simply because he did not know their names. This could not be borne.

With renewed motivation he unleashed the bear enough to release a great roar, right in Dagmar's face as she turned back after his failed strike. Despite herself, she faltered before such a vicious noise. She flinched, and Tarric writhed so violently she was tossed aside. He rolled and pounced before she could recover, delivering a hard punch aimed for her face again.

His fist caught Dagmar just as she started to rise, and she staggered, falling back to the ground again. Her hand was pressed to her abused jaw as she slumped, staring at the floor. The fight was over, though it was yet to be seen if anything had changed as a result.

OOC/Mechanics

Updated momentum from Idunn's Aid. (momentum now 3/10)

Clash + iron - Miss. Add to Tarric's failure track. Pay the Price and the foe still has initiative.

Pay the Price - I don't think taking Harm actually works for the price of this particular move, instead let's do -1 momentum this time. Now 2/10 momentum.

Secure an Advantage + iron, adding Turn the Tide to snag initiative - Strong Hit with Match. 'Take Control' - +1 on the next move (not a progress move). +1 momentum from hit on Turn the Tide, now 3/10. For the match, maybe a bit extra advantage, +another 1 on the next move? Tarric has initiative but needs a strong hit on an action move before he can end the fight. Cancel that, going to use this Strong Hit to End the Fight. Get +2 momentum from Secure an Advantage, and +1 momentum from Turn the Tide, now 5/10.

Strike + iron, +2 from Advantage + Match - Weak Hit. Inflict your harm (1 harm, 2 boxes - progress is now 10/10). But Tarric no longer has initiative and can't End the Fight yet. Ignore this.

End the Fight vs Progress 8/10 - Weak Hit. The fight is over, but Dagmar won't forget this (and has probably learned nothing).

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Name
Clash 1 + iron
1d6+2 1
Challenge 1
7; 8
1d10;1d10 [7]; [7,8]
Secure Advantage (Turn the Tide) + iron
1d6+3 4
Challenge vs Secure Advantage
5; 5
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,5]
Strike + iron + Advantage + Match
1d6+4 2
Challenge vs Strike
3; 9
1d10;1d10 [3]; [3,9]
End the Fight vs Progress 8
9; 2
1d10;1d10 [9]; [9,2]

Scene 7: The lord of Tyrant's Hill

Time: Early morning, five days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngThat final blow broke Dagmar's will to continue-and nearly broke her jaw as well. Knocked down to the ground, she did not move for a while, though she remained conscious, if only barely. For a while she stayed still like this, in stunned silence, nursing her badly hurt face. No doubt it would swell up soon, and by tomorrow it would be all black and blue. With the back of her hand, she wiped her mouth: a thin streak of blood now decorated it, as Tarric had managed to split her lower lip a little.

Her men were as silent as her. They had expected her to win, because they knew her, though their confidence was perhaps a bit lesser than the warrior-woman's. Now they only watched. They knew their commander; they knew she would still seek to have the last word. And they were right.

"Beginner's luck!" cried Dagmar, trying to make little of the final blow, but gone was now the confidence from her voice. She tried to stand, but her body thought it better to stay down, and betrayed her will. A sharp feeling of pain made her wince and grunt, and she spat blood and spit and cursed under her breath and said no more.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThen a figure walked through the gate, unannounced yet not alone. With him came many hunters: a score of them, give or take, and at the head of them was a tall elf with a great bow. The man was Mogdred. In the excitement of the fight, the sentries of Tyrant's Hill had forgotten their duties, and now they tensed up at once, and greeted their proud lord, but their lord made no answer. Despite his young age, he looked like a long-gone, late-returning father, who had only come back to find his unruly children doing some mischief. And he was not happy about it.

"What is the meaning of this?" he said, not bothering to hide his anger-the comment addressed to anyone who might be brave enough (or foolish enough) to answer it.

OOC

Hey, Tarric won the fight! Woo! He still gets to make a lawful request, and given the context of the scene it can be from either Mogdred or Dagmar. I'll leave it to BlueTrillium-feel free to bring it up whenever appropriate (you don't have to do it right away).

The elf is a strange sight, you can roll an Oracle to check if your PC has heard stories about him. The odds depend on your PC's Wits:

Wits = +1: 50/50 chance (yes on 51+)

Wits = +2: Likely chance (yes on 26+)

Wits = +3: Almost certain (yes on 11+)

I can provide the info when you provide the roll, if you want.

unknown.png

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Now that the fight was over, Tarric wasn't entirely steady himself. His torso immediately under the breastbone, where Dagmar had driven her elbow, ached fiercely, and he was still having difficulty drawing a full breath. The enraged energy from the fight was draining away, leaving him tired, both physically and emotionally.

Nevertheless he did his best to stand proudly before the lord of Tyrant Hill. He inclined his head with the respect that was due, no more and no less. Even that sent a fresh stab of pain through him. The Beorning could feel when Olwinne stepped near in support, should he need it. The elf registered as an oddity, but Mogdred must be addressed first.

"I fear any meaning there may have been is lost on this one, Sir Mogdred," he answered, with a disgusted glance to Dagmar and then away again. "Perhaps there was no meaning in the first place, as a fight cannot undo what has been done." Now his gaze rested on the sad parcel of dead birds. "I lost my temper, but I cannot regret it."

OOC/Mechanics

Ask the Oracle what Tarric might recognize about the elf - 82, yes he does recognize something.

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Name
Ask the Oracle 50/50 (51+ = yes he knows the elf)
1d100 82

spacer.pngMogdred turned to look towards Tarric, and his gaze lingered on him.

"You... I remember your face. You fought bravely in Rhosgobel, and drove back the orcs with your companions. Yet I have forgotten your name."

He paused, struggling to remember it, but it did not come to him. No doubt there were other Woodmen that had fought in that battle, and Tarric was only one of many. Still, Mogdred continued:

"What are you doing here? I see that the Brown Wizard is with you, as are others. Does Rhosgobel need our aid again? Tell the tale in full."

OOC

Does Mogdred remember Tarric? Let's Ask the Oracle (yes on 51+).

As for the elf: Tarric has heard about this one. He was a prisoner in Dol Guldur before the Necromancer fled; afterwards, he did not return to his peoples, but instead stayed with Mogdred and the others. The rumors say that he is ancient and has a hatred for orcs, and he has no name-teh folk of Tyrant's Hill simply call him the messenger of Mandos.

Name
Ask the Oracle
1d100 31

spacer.pngThough beaten up badly, Dagmar sensed that the tides were turning. This chance could be the last for her to seize control and prevail upon her lord to spare her from any punishment.

"They were nosing around the tower, lord, and I-"

But Mogdred raised his hand, commanding her to stay her tongue and keep silent, without even turning to look at her. Instead, he kept his gaze on the companions and the wizard: it was from them that he wanted to hear the tale.

spacer.png

Silent for the duration of Dagmar and Tarric's fight out of shame for what he started, Bróin finally speaks up upon Mogdred's entrance onto the scene. The Dwarf bows respectfully before speaking. "Hail to thee lord Mogdred of the Tyrant's Hill. I am Bróin, son of Bori." He quickly introduces the rest of the company before continuing. "You've my sincerest apologies for this disruption my lord. My company and I arrived here seeking rest and supplies before continuing on our journey into Mirkwood. Events transpired whereupon we were made awares of certain... situations in the tower. Out of due diligence I sent an associate of mine to investigate, the good lady Dagmar and her compatriot tooks umbrage with that and... here we are."

A rather brief summary of the events that have unfolded, but brevity is the better part of valour here. The Dwarf hoped Mogdred was of a like mind in that regard...

OOC

Current Momentum: +4

spacer.pngMogdred turned away from Tarric for a moment to observe the dwarf, and he listened without interruption. If his patience was growing any thinner, he did not show it: he concealed his emotions well behind a cold expression, though his displeasure at the least was self-evident.

"And what did this... associate... find?" the lord asked plainly (and coldly), the question addressed not just to Bróin, but to all of Radagast's companions that were assembled before him.

spacer.png

Bróin strokes his beard, thinking on his next words very carefully. "Most concerning noises my lord. It is not for me or my compatriots to say what those noises are, but perhaps if your lordship were to assuage our concerns..."

OOC

Current Momentum: +4