Down Time - Spring

Powderhorn

@SirLoganofGilead with Oliver training up a rifle squad and doing light exploration, I'm going to ask that you come up with 4 NPCs for me to each be issued a rifle. That will leave one left in "storage" so that I have a bit of supply buffer. They will start as having Militia stats, seen on pg. 283, but will be upgradable with another season of down time used. Their attack bonus cannot exceed Oliver's.

Promotion progression will go from Militia -> Veteran Soldier -> Skilled Veteran -> Special Guards.

@8w_gremlin

@matt_s

@TheWhitefire

You will have 20 people to work with each day, the others lost to training, foodstuffs, guard duty, or rest. They are generally considered "Unskilled Labor" excepting the blacksmith and carpenter, who are "skilled."

Looking at construction costs on page 341, you're getting 9720 silver of labor (1 day of rest per week), plus 5400 from the skilled. Your efforts are all going to be required in overseeing and planning. However, the efforts made will mean that no particular illness will rampage the settlement, and starvation will be kept at bay while crops are planted. Brother Koji is also able to save 10% on construction costs, functioning as the "administrator" of the project (to use the term from pg. 341).

With 15,120 silver worth of labor, and a 10% discount, you can get fairly creative.

Cost Common Buildings and Lands
450 Good, safe farmland for a family
22,500 Landholdings for a minor lord
180,000 Landholdings for a major noble
45 Humble peasant cottage
180 Prosperous peasant farmhouse
450 Village temple
225 Urban slum dwelling
900 Modest city shop
2,250 City townhouse
4,500 Military watchtower or outpost
4,500 Minor city temple
22,500 Rural gentry estate
45,000 Keep on the borderlands
45,000 Important urban temple
90,000 Merchant-prince's city house
225,000 Large royal palace
450,000 Major fortress

Cost General Construction Costs
45 Simple wooden / 10' cube
180 Elaborate wooden / 10' cube
180 Simple stone / 10' cube
450 Elaborate stone / 10' cube
90 Stone wall per 10'x10'x1'
9 Wooden palisade per 10'x10'x1'
225 Tunnel through stone, 10'x10'x5'
90 Shored tunnel through earth
9 Trench or earth mound, 10x10x10

I went ahead and factored in the 10% discount already, so I would ask how you want to use up the labor you have available.

Figure four to a house is close quarters, but Harlan will be sure to advise that the number of settlers is likely to grow through natural causes. For best health, he would prefer two to a house if possible, and four will increase risks of disease.

For food, a farm, once up and running, will be able to feed 10 people. You also have three people already trained as farmers, referring to Settlers and NPCs. It will be a late planting season, being Spring, but they do have hopes to have a harvest in the fall with this being fallow lands if the farms are built first.

So, what about 6 farm plots so we are producing a little extra food, with 30 cottages? Maybe 1 farmhouse equivalent to act as a town hall, and a village temple to act as an infirmary and chapel?

That would cost us 4680 silver, leaving 10 440 silver to use on further housing and defenses? Maybe spend another 180 to build a granary and barn, unless that's included in the farmland price.

We could then build 2 watchtowers, or a watchtower and a proper city temple instead of the village temple.

For other defenses, I think Harlan would like a wooden palisade surrounded by an earthwork trench surrounding their "town center," where the infirmary and food stores are.

"Maybe spend another 180 to build a granary and barn, unless that's included in the farmland price."

For local storage on site of the farm, it's included. If you wanted that storage to be, say, behind a palisade and earthwork trench, that would be separate.

what is the difference between a Humble peasant cottage and a Urban slum dwelling as one is 45g and the other 225g

So we have

Number Item cost each Total = 14346 Notes
30 Cottages 45 1350 housing for 60 people
8 Farms 450 3600 food production for 80 people, and housing for x people
1 Village Temple 450 450 to act as infirmary, housing for 1 person
1 Village Temple 450 450 to act as townhall, housing for 1 person, could actually consecrate the location
1 Stone Granary 180 180  
1 Barn 180 180  
200 Palisade 9 1800 2000 ft of palisade 500' a side square
204 Trench or earth mound 9 1836 2000 ft of earth mount, plus the 4 corner mounds
1 Military watchtower or outpost 4500 4500 does this act as housing for any guards?

link to google spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b6ybM_n9NmflrmFPmo0r8uZE0thF5A8IMdUjGdG0S80/edit?usp=sharing

Initial thoughts was a square 500' a side with the majority of the buildings inside except the farms.
but if we are on a peninsular we may only need to mount and palisade the non water sides, for the time being?

thoughts?

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

"what is the difference between a Humble peasant cottage and a Urban slum dwelling as one is 45g and the other 225g"

-Location.

"how will you bookkeep food supply from fishing? That can be a lot of calories if done right. "

I would say one fisherman can feed five people, but if you build a fishery, something that involves boats, net maintenance, etc. that can be upped to 10 people.

"Do you care which pool of people these NPCs come from?"

I don't have a preference, but my recommendation would be anything with a large pool you can work with. I wouldn't want your only blacksmith out being a rifleman!

good to know, my vote is to devote some amount of resources to a fishery building, between the balance remaining and maybe removing one of the farms if no longer needed we would manage it. Boats are going to be a nice to have for various tasks as well.

Diversify our food supplies - agreed
I don't know how often the ships would come back and forth, but I would expect may be once a year for the first few years, so trade goods should be collected and sent back on the ships when we have enough. Now I don't know what @Powderhorn has instore for ships and selling trade goods, but it's something for us to consider medium and long term.

Didn't we have a list of the building types with this information, or did I imagine it?
Any case, how much does a fishing hut cost, and how much for each of the boats. I'll add it in to the spreadsheet.

EDIT: added another tab with the buildings, and cost. would be good if we can get housing and food production numbers in there

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

Simple fishing boats we'll say cost 90 silver of labor ea., and a fishery will cost 450. The buildings currently listed are the ones out of WWN's book, and then for anything more "creative" you just use the blocks to essentially LEGO something together.