Gardening

Eric

It’s growing season in the northern hemisphere! We’ve got tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers, beans, squash, chard, and raspberries.

Oh, and blueberries. All the blueberries.

IMG_2289.jpeg.8039473da6a9e4e005b8b034a57f02e2.jpeg

That’s almost six pounds from one picking. We’re going to turn blue at this rate.

What’s everyone else growing?

I only have a little garden, so nothing as impressive as that, but... a pair of pigeons thought it's pretty enough to decide to sort of grow themselves. I wasn't a great fan of that but it seemed too cruel to throw away the egg. So now we have to fledglings (or whatever baby pigeons are called, I forget).

spacer.png

I must admit that they are kinda cute. But messy at times. Though not as much as I had feared. Yet. Freakin' pigeons.

All baby things are cute, even when they are hideous. 😄

On 6/23/2023 at 8:39 AM, Eric said:
What’s everyone else growing?

Just flowers. Too swampy for much of anything else. We have talked about doing some vegetable gardening in raised beds, but so far nothing has magically materialized.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash, summer squash, zucchini, spinach, kale, some form of leaf lettuce, sunflowers, tomatoes, rhubarb, peas, asparagus.... I'm not sure what else. My wife decided that this year we would garden, so...

Dwarf Teddy Bear Sunflowers. Germinated after only 4 days. I've never had them germ that quickly. Not sure what that means.

sunflowers.jpg.cdb2308b4be8eea75b281c849e86a85e.jpg

We put in all store-bought nursery annuals in the spring (alongside some swamp-friendly perennials that grow back every year), but in late June/early July I gather every empty pot from around the place (usually 20 or so), and plant all the seeds from last year that will survive the heat (dwarf sunflowers, zinnia, black-eyed susans, cosmos, poppies, etc.). Usually about half the pots germinate, and about half of those survive August, but we still get a half-dozen pots full of colorful flowers to display beside the nursery mums in September.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a small garden, mostly grass, but I've recently added two Lilac bushes to it to attract butterflies, bees and other polinating insects (and then probably the birds that feed on them). If those are successful, I might add some more.