Into the Deadlands

paladinred

When the gate closes the party are on foot into these cursed lands, nothing moves and there is an eerie silence. A rotten corpse of something that was once humanoid lies just in the vicinity of their sight, no vultures or anything picks at it's remains.

Jacerin Gainteau - Half-elf Cleric of Tymora token_1.png.7813311c9a80c6e9b46cffde687ae089.png

AC: 18  | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +2 (Adv.) | Passive Perception: 16 (Darkvision 60ft) | HD: 5/5 | Inspiration 0/1 | Lucky 3/3

As the sounds of the door closing behind them slowly faded away, Jacerin took in the empty scene. No turning back now. His eyes flick briefly over the corpse - quickly discerning the lack of anything valuable. It's not so much the dead body he find's disturbing - he's seen plenty of those in his time and has more than a few to thank for his wealth, it's the stillness. The silence that seems to permeate the soil itself. You didn't;t normally think of all the sounds of life, didn't notice the absence of rustles or birdsong till it was gone. He shook himself free of the gathering fugue - to the most daring goes the best spoils.

"Don't run off just yet they're Mizzi, and the rest of you," his voice breaks the silence like a mirror cracking. "I've a little trick to keep the dead tracking us back here. Don't know if someone wants to double-check that one over there first."

He grasps the coin around his neck and closes his eyes, whispering a few words in elven. A veil of shadows seems to descend, dampening the harsh light around them. "There, that should keep anyone off our trail for a while, as long as you stick near me." He leans over to brush his hands against Kerick's armour, "and a little of Tymora's to grease your way too."

OOC

Action: Cast Pass Without TraceA veil of shadows and silence radiates from you, masking you and your companions from detection. For the duration, each creature you choose within 30 feet of you (including you) has a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks and can’t be tracked except by magical means. A creature that receives this bonus leaves behind no tracks or other traces of its passage. (Level 2) - Concentration, 1 hour

Action: Blessing of the Tricksteruse your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again. to Kerrick

Stat Block

Half-elf Cleric of Tymora, Level 5

Languages Common, Elven, Abyssal

Background Treasure Hunter Background Feature Dust Digger

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 IntWis 16 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Dice, Thieves Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/3 ; L3 2/2

Channel Divinity 1/1 (Amulet of the Devout 1/1)

Actions

• Dagger +5 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Sling +5 to hit for [1d4+2] bludgeoning damage | 30/120
  • Sacred Flame DC15 Dex Sv for [2d8] radiant damage | V,S one creature, 60ft | no cover
  • Word of Radiance DC15 Con Sv for [2d6] radiant damage | V,M chosen creatures, 5ft burst

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Gavarilis

GavToken.webp.f409b38713e27a43427d5feb1e2aea46.webpGavarilis "Gav" Ashborn  HP: 39/39   Saves: Str 3, Dex 6, Con 1, Int 2, Wis 2, Cha -1
AC: 14, Initiative: 3, Speed: 35 Passive Perception: +15

Drake Companion

Small dragon
Armor Class: 14 + 3 (natural armor) 17
Hit Points: 30
Speed: 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 12 (+1) 15 (+2) 8 (−1) 14 (+2) 8 (−1)
Saving Throws: Dex 4, Wis 5
Damage Immunities: determined by the drake’s Draconic Essence trait
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages: Draconic
Challenge: Proficiency Bonus (PB) 3
Draconic Essence. When you summon the drake, choose a damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. The chosen type determines the drake’s damage immunity and the damage of its Infused Strikes trait. Umber's Essence is Fire
Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage.
Reactions
Infused Strikes. When another creature within 30 feet of the drake that it can see hits a target with a weapon attack, the drake infuses the strike with its essence, causing the target to take an extra 1d6 damage of the type determined by its Draconic Essence.

As Gav looks out over the deadlands a look of deep sadness crosses his face "It was not always this way, it was once beautiful and filled with life. Before that bastard Acridia in his arrogance created this abomination through his folly and his death. My people once danced between towering trees that had been standing for millennia. His death and suffering was too quick if you ask me. "  While Umber did not understand what Gav was saying he recognized the tone and the look of sadness and anger in his voice.

Draconic

I weep with you little brother.

)
Vethr'zuak

Vethr6be4101cf2fe06a1c64e1676f08e565c.jpg.a59bd3075351e8cc1f939e582104b3c5.jpg.ef63800b44c1aa205890389a793ae440.jpg'zuak  HP: 50/50   Saves: Str 3, Dex 4, Con 3, Int 0, Wis 3, Cha 0
AC: 14, Initiative: 1, Speed: 30 Perception: +9, Wildshape (2/day)

Assuming the dead corpse was the object that Jacerin was referring to, Vethr'zauk goes to inspect it up close. Instinctively his nostrils seal up to not allow air passage, preferring not to get ill from airborne illnesses, he draws the silvery moon blade and decapitates the corps to prevent it from rising in the future.

Flyn

image.png.19ce53f252d3af42fd2268f58bc3109c.png HP: 30/30 AC: 15PP:15 Init: +3

Flyn moves to keep up with the rest of the group. Eyes flicking about, the silence to the place making him more nervous than anything. "How do you want to do this? Jacerin and I up front in the shadows as we discussed? Or wait until we get further into this place before doing that?" Flyn's eyes flit between Mizzi and Gav. Both seem to have some experience here, or knowledge of the place at least.

As he looks at each in turn, they both hear Flyn's voice in their head. So long as I can see you, I can keep you apprised of what we see.

Vethr'zuak finds the body of a human male, his death must have been thirst as there are marks in the dry soil that was left by his crawling. He only had about 2-300 feet left to go, the lizard folk notes that there no bugs even that eat at his flesh.

image.png.0aea0bc16647f3d189357a313fba77ce.png

Mizzi replies to Flynn's question "you are going to have a hard time finding shadows to hide in, maybe in the city but not here, here there is nothing to hide behind. Just this ever-crumbling dirt, in the city there is a haze that will hide you but watch out for the monsters watching you, they will have a better time of it than you will. After all, it is their home" the young wizard says.

Vethr'zuak

Vethr6be4101cf2fe06a1c64e1676f08e565c.jpg.a59bd3075351e8cc1f939e582104b3c5.jpg.ef63800b44c1aa205890389a793ae440.jpg'zuak  HP: 50/50   Saves: Str 3, Dex 4, Con 3, Int 0, Wis 3, Cha 0
AC: 14, Initiative: 1, Speed: 30 Perception: +9, Wildshape (2/day)

Hearing the mention of lack of shadows causes Vethr'zauk to pull a cloak over his face, then wrap it around his nostrils, he had traversed some of the desert area of Chult, so recalled how the caravan dressed to avoid too much exposure to sun.

"Protection of the sun should also be a priority." he says as he returns to the group. "An unfortunate soul who did not reach the protection of the town."

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2819729]Vethr'zuak[/url][/b] [i]Lizardfolk Ranger 3, Druid 2 5 Neutral Good[/i] [b]AC[/b] 14 [b]HP[/b] 50 [b]Speed[/b] 30ft [b]Str[/b] 10 (0) [b]Dex[/b] 13 (1) [b]Con[/b] 16 (3) [b]Wis[/b] 16 (3) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 10 (0) [b]Attacks[/b] [b]Moon Scimitar[/b] +4 1d6+2 [b]Dagger[/b] +4 1d4+2 [b][/b] [B]Skills:[/B] Athletics 3, Acrobatics 1, Stealth 4, Nature 3, Perception 9, Handle Animal 3, Survival 6, Insight 3 [spoiler=Spells]Spells Ranger DC 13, 3/day 1st: Goodberry, Speak with Animals Druid DC 13 1st: 3 0: Druidcraft, Poison Spray 1st: Create or Destroy water, Cure Wounds, Beast Bond, Purify Food and Drink, Longstrider[/spoiler] [spoiler=Inventory]backpack bedroll blanket mess kit tinderbox 10 torches 10 days of rations waterskin 50 feet of hempen rope traveler's clothes drums Maps of Chult Raptor bone necklace worth 10 gp pouch containing 5 gp [/spoiler]
Vethr'zuak Lizardfolk Ranger 3, Druid 2 5 Neutral Good
AC 14 HP 50 Speed 30ft Str 10 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 16 (3) Wis 16 (3) Int 10 (0) Cha 10 (0)

Attacks
Moon Scimitar +4 1d6+2
Dagger +4 1d4+2

Skills: Athletics 3, Acrobatics 1, Stealth 4, Nature 3, Perception 9, Handle Animal 3, Survival 6, Insight 3

Spells

Spells Ranger DC 13, 3/day
1st: Goodberry, Speak with Animals
Druid DC 13 1st: 3
0: Druidcraft, Poison Spray
1st: Create or Destroy water, Cure Wounds, Beast Bond, Purify Food and Drink, Longstrider

Inventory

backpack
bedroll
blanket
mess kit
tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
waterskin
50 feet of hempen rope
traveler's clothes
drums
Maps of Chult
Raptor bone necklace worth 10 gp
pouch containing 5 gp

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Kerrick

spacer.png

Kerrick Pemmin HP: 43/43   Saves: Str -1, Dex 0, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 2, Cha -1

AC: 19, Initiative: +0, Speed: 30ft Perception: +5

"Well, lets give them something to look at then." Kerrick said as he dismounted from the wagon, and restored the helmet to his imposing looking armor. Energy crackled along the gauntlets of the suit as he moved, stretching out his muscles after the long ride.

Gavarilis

GavToken.webp.f409b38713e27a43427d5feb1e2aea46.webp

Gavarilis "Gav" Ashborn  HP: 39/39   

Saves: Str 3, Dex 6, Con 1, Int 2, Wis 2, Cha -1

AC: 14, Initiative: 3, Speed: 35 Passive Perception: +15

Drake Companion

Small dragon
Armor Class: 14 + 3 (natural armor) 17
Hit Points: 30
Speed: 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 12 (+1) 15 (+2) 8 (−1) 14 (+2) 8 (−1)
Saving Throws: Dex 4, Wis 5
Damage Immunities: determined by the drake’s Draconic Essence trait
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages: Draconic
Challenge: Proficiency Bonus (PB) 3
Draconic Essence. When you summon the drake, choose a damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. The chosen type determines the drake’s damage immunity and the damage of its Infused Strikes trait. Umber's Essence is Fire
Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage.
Reactions
Infused Strikes. When another creature within 30 feet of the drake that it can see hits a target with a weapon attack, the drake infuses the strike with its essence, causing the target to take an extra 1d6 damage of the type determined by its Draconic Essence.

Gav's thoughts are pulled back to the present as the others spoke. He nods his head at Mizzi's words before responding in kind in a matter of fact tone. "While it is all well and good to have folks scouting ahead, if that is all you do then you will soon be dead from the dangers that have crept up behind you. Umber and I will scout our back to make sure nothing tries to flank us."

As Flynn's voice enters his mind he raises an eyebrow before speaking in an icy tone. 'I would appreciate it if you ask permission before intruding upon my mind. While we may be companions I do not know you well enough yet to fully trust you, I am sure you would not want me just opening your bags and looking inside." he pauses momentarily before continuing on in less icy tones. "Though I will admit it is a useful skill for our party to have, I have wished at times that my bond with Umber would have provided a similar boon."

Umber looks at him questioningly as he hears his name, though when nothing else is forthcoming he goes back to looking around at the party.

When Vethr speaks he could not help but smile slightly "These lands are definitely harsh and unforgiving for those who are unprepared."

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

Flyn

image.png.19ce53f252d3af42fd2268f58bc3109c.png HP: 30/30 AC: 15PP:15 Init: +3

Flyn frowns a bit at the elf before offering an explanation, "If that is all we do is scout ahead? Scouting and taking point is a generally accepted tactic for many reasons... We see what's coming before we attract attention. We find the dangers before they find us. We start a plan of attack, on our terms, rather than waiting for what's out there to hit us... Scouting and taking point is no small thing Dear elf. And, if done correctly. As we scout, you watch our backs, so nothing comes up behind us, unless it comes between us. It does require a great deal of trust however, trust that you have our backs. But, I asked how the group wants to proceed... and as Mizzi is much more knowledgeable about the place than I. If she believes that neither I nor Jacerin can find enough shadows to hide in, or cover to conceal ourselves. Then there is little point to us taking point if we cannot do it while being hidden..."

Then in a tone just as icy as the elf gave, "I'm hardly looking through your mind as easily as you would look through my bags. My communication method is no more invasive than speaking. It's just quieter. But, there is no need to use it, if it frightens you. We can speak aloud when needed."

Flynn then looks to the heavily armored one of the group, "Kerrick right? If we are not going to scout ahead or take point. Perhaps you taking the lead would be best then? If we are not going to be able to scout the danger before we get to it. Then it might be prudent to follow the person able to take a hit or two?"

Map

image.jpeg.fd77e5c65e50bae4cc7f86e69b0d56fd.jpeg

With about 4 days' journey to the city the party set off, there are some unexpected issues with movement. The soil has become very dry and there is a small dust cloud formed when people walk through it, this is seemingly impossible to stop. Way off in the distance, something that can fly can be seen flying to the east. The road climbs slowly as the party make their way towards their goal, when they reach the top of the hill the view down is ....spectacular. There is a town off to the west and another to the east, single buildings here and there would be farmhouses and will make an excellent refuge for the night. Late afternoon brings a strong wind that has a sandstorm effect, it becomes impossible to see and so the party will need to find cover, Mizzi shouts that there is a house to the east that is reachable.

Edited by paladinred (see edit history)

Jacerin Gainteau - Half-elf Cleric of Tymora token_1.png.7813311c9a80c6e9b46cffde687ae089.png

AC: 18  | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +2 (Adv.) | Passive Perception: 16 (Darkvision 60ft) | HD: 5/5 | Inspiration 0/1 | Lucky 3/3

"The spell would work best if we stick together anyhow," Jac chimes in, attempting to mediate a little peace. As they get going, he pulls his cloak up over his mouth against the choking dust. "I'm not sure how well it will conceal this from a distance, though it should still hide our presence somewhat and the the very minimus there won't be any tracks to guide a latecomer..."

The spell expires an hour later, and with little movement around Jac doesn't both to refresh it. When the sandstorm picks up he shouts through it "That should do an equally good job covering any tracks too I reckon! If you can see some sort of shelter east there Mizzi let's get a move on, and pray Tymora's blessings upon us!" He coughs as some of the fine dust sneaks its way beneath the cloak, and saints his eyes into the storm.

OOC

Stat Block

Half-elf Cleric of Tymora, Level 5

Languages Common, Elven, Abyssal

Background Treasure Hunter Background Feature Dust Digger

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 IntWis 16 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Dice, Thieves Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/3 ; L3 2/2

Channel Divinity 1/1 (Amulet of the Devout 1/1)

Actions

• Dagger +5 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Sling +5 to hit for [1d4+2] bludgeoning damage | 30/120
  • Sacred Flame DC15 Dex Sv for [2d8] radiant damage | V,S one creature, 60ft | no cover
  • Word of Radiance DC15 Con Sv for [2d6] radiant damage | V,M chosen creatures, 5ft burst

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Kerrick

spacer.png

Kerrick Pemmin HP: 43/43   Saves: Str -1, Dex 0, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 2, Cha -1

AC: 19, Initiative: +0, Speed: 30ft Perception: +5

"Happy to lead. This suit will get us there." Kerrick said with a nod to the halfling as they start to set out and start their march towards Nortonia.

Image of an elven woman in the moonlight
Selena Moonbrook

HP:33|33 | AC:18 | Init: +2
Perception: 17, Insight: 17

"When we get there I can ask Selune to grant me the ability to conjure forth a small magical hut, for us, it is impervious to all effects. It will last for enough time for us to rest and sleep. It should keep us safe. But I require some time to ritually prepare and conjure it forth" Selena tells the group

"But I will need some protection whilst I do this, as I will be preoccupied in the casting to be much use, should problems arise."