Character creation Questions

youngaberration

I've never played Pathfinder 2e, but I've played both the 1e tabletop and Kingmaker. Is any of that a potential problem?

I was thinking it might be worth rolling a sorcerer whose powers betray an ancestry he'd rather not think about, and who got chased out of his village as a changeling despite (to the best of anyone's knowledge) having actually been born the usual way in the village. (He'd naturally be a bit nervous about showing off anything that could only have come from his weird ancestry, but I figure he wouldn't have signed up for this party if he thought he had to hide his sorcery entirely, and it's not like showing off that he's a sorcerer would automatically raise red flags.)

As far as his mechanical ancestry (what most games call race) I was thinking he'd be human; I was thinking his sorcery would be the only hint that there was anything else to see here.

(I haven't decided exactly what that something else would be. I think I'd look for something he has a real reason to hide.)

Edited by wwaugh (see edit history)

Still a work in progress, but going with the no optional rules assumption. Now, I know I am taking a Tyrant Champion which is, technically, Lawful Evil, but considering the the Revised Core is abolishing alignments entirely, he is just a particularly ruthless champion, willing to go to extreme measures to establish order and rule of law. While he may disagree with some of his softer-hearted companions, he won't engage in typical 'evil' party tactics of betraying them as working against one's allies is, ultimately, detrimental to the establishment of a flourishing government. While he may scheme to, hopefully, skew favor towards himself and House Surtova, he won't be an active foil against the PC's since we all want to establish a kingdom in the region.

I'm open to any discussions this choice has, and welcome any comments about the build or character, which is still on on going process.

Thanks for your consideration.

16 hours ago, Zen Gypsy said:

Definitely interested, I'm curious if you are intending to use any Optional Rules, such as Free Archetype, Gradual Ability Boost, etc?

I've got a few ideas I would love to bring to the table.

Was thinking of doing Free archetype. It's a fun optional rule

5 hours ago, wwaugh said:

I've never played Pathfinder 2e, but I've played both the 1e tabletop and Kingmaker. Is any of that a potential problem?

I was thinking it might be worth rolling a sorcerer whose powers betray an ancestry he'd rather not think about, and who got chased out of his village as a changeling despite (to the best of anyone's knowledge) having actually been born the usual way in the village. (He'd naturally be a bit nervous about showing off anything that could only have come from his weird ancestry, but I figure he wouldn't have signed up for this party if he thought he had to hide his sorcery entirely, and it's not like showing off that he's a sorcerer would automatically raise red flags.)

As far as his mechanical ancestry (what most games call race) I was thinking he'd be human; I was thinking his sorcery would be the only hint that there was anything else to see here.

(I haven't decided exactly what that something else would be. I think I'd look for something he has a real reason to hide.)

Sounds interesting.

2 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

*hums* Wanna check - any class allowed includes the rare classes? Inventor and Gunslinger both interest me, but I've got plenty of ideas.

Yea. Gunslinger is pretty cool. I've never played a Inventor but I've watched a friend play one and its a pretty unique class

If all is good, I plan on trying out a Kitsune Kineticist (wood). Just want to get the approval as it was indicated to ask for uncommon ancestries and while you said psychic was less understood, kineticist is pretty new and thought it might be in the same boat.

52 minutes ago, youngaberration said:

Was thinking of doing Free archetype. It's a fun optional rule

Just to say, I for one would be very down for that. My first idea is an Inventor Aldori Duelist? Trying to refine/rework what a sword even is... *hums* Still pondering!

@Inquisitor D  Now, this is kind of a switch hitter idea, which might be better served by starting Fighter and snagging the Gunslinger dedication at 2nd ... but how could the following not inspire someone!

spacer.png

Final Fantasy Gunblade is totally a thing in Pathfinder, overpriced to be sure, but that's what you get for taking style over substance. Coupled with fighter feats like Pointblank Shot, Knockdown, and such ... it could make for an interesting front line combatant with a nice, ranged backup weapon. Plus, a fighter starts as Expert with all martial weapons, so he is as accurate as a Gunslinger with both melee & ranged ... though the reload can be a little pesky, but even Gunslingers feel that action economy.