OOC Chat

Jedaii

Same here. I created a character sheet template that I put under character generation if anyone wants to use it. For me it just puts everything in a manageable table formatting. It took time to design it initially but easy to modify now that its there.

I know Jedaii said they did not have discord, but if folks use it I could probably create a channel on my server for this game. I know for me discord can give some of the convenience that you have of a tabletop game where you can sort of strategize what you are going to do before you post in game that can be faster than the traditional OOC threads.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

I understand why people want to use Discord. It's cool.

I just want to say that, because of the busy nature in my life at the moment, I don't go in Discord. I have Discord, but I'm too busy to use it right now.

I came to Myth Weavers because it allows for asynchronous play. I think a lot of people here are in the same boat: "Aw, I don't have time to do a voice chat game. I can't have friends over for tabletop...too many kids. They'd eat the miniatures!" So we look around and see that play-by-post is a manageable option.

To have someone come in and push for a system that swings back the other way is...I'm trying to be diplomatic...it's harshing the vibe! :D

I GMed a PbP where one of the players wanted to start a Discord channel "just for OOC". I gave it my blessing, but I did not use it. It ended up being a slightly divisive addition, with some players going there and some players not. I ended up breaking the game into the Discord people and the non-Discord, all in the same campaign universe. We had crossovers sometimes: one superteam on the East Coast and one on the West Coast, like the Avengers.

For whatever reason, the non-Discord side of the group is still going, and the Discord side ended up slowing down and stopping.

What's the takeaway? No idea, I lost myself after "It's cool" :D

I am cool either way, I can say for me it is definitely not used for voice, I do not have time or the inclination for that, just more quick messages back and forth that is a bit faster than your OOC chat if folks are online at the same time. Most definitely not for playing through discord. I know folks who do that but I am like you I prefer the PbP because it is more manageable of my time. The discord is more of a convenience than a need.

The Discord is appreciated @darlis moonbeam and players can use it if they like, but like @RedMax I'm too busy to keep up with Discord chat 🤪 This OOC thread and pms is the very best way to communicate with me.

Now, we have an Elf, Dwarf, Druas and Zephyr. Quite the unusual group. My thinking behind optional backstories was I would need to create a reason for a racially-diverse party adventuring together. The adventure prologue:

• Roughly three months ago Goblin raids on Atlantean trade lines increased in frequency and brutality. Within weeks Goblin activity increases in other places such as Hyperborea and Alba with non-human communities being terrorized by large Goblin forces
  • Wealthy merchants looking to protect their products dispatched messengers across the realm offering high-paying jobs as caravan guards (1 gp per day!)
  • Drawn by either gold or community-defense, your character joined what the Atlantean High Council named "The Kobalos": the great war of the World versus the Underworld
  • Taking advantage of the Goblins' largely nocturnal nature, armed forces - combined of humans and non-humans - located, invaded and overwhelmed the Goblin King Buezl's forces culminating in a final battle under the Atlas Mountains
  • The current party of adventurers - Ethraniel, Rhys, Kai and Thalgack - were the lone survivors of a larger force decimated by a battle with Goblin forces that resulted in the rescue of hundreds of humans captured by the (now defeated) Goblins
  • In the aftermath, the small quartet of PC adventurers headed for Atlantis (roughly a week's ride) - with letters of commendation signed by an Atlantean military officer - to collect their three-months commission of gold (nearly 100 gp each) from Atlantean merchants
  • Having spent the last week or so fighting together the PCs have developed a level of camaraderie that makes their racial/background differences less of a problem. Players are free to improvise stories of the PCs' battles against the Goblin forces and the party's time together as they near the kingdom of Atlantis
  • The region the party is traveling through is primarily hills and forests with occasional encounters with travelers (human usually). This region is also well-known for its bandits and tribes of Atlantean outcasts
  • The time would be the Fall of the year (mild days and cold nights) with overcast skies but limited rain

Player thoughts?

My GM style: if you want to do something, it's your PC's turn and you know what to roll, do it 🙂 You don't need to ask my permission. All I ask is players know the basics: roll 1d20 and apply any modifiers (attribute, range, environment) for combat or attribute saves - pretty simple. You can make the rolls on the upcoming IC thread along with your IC post. If you want to post an OOC comment on the IC thread please use OOC text or Spoiler text as below:

OOCLike this

OOC

Like this

Initiative: The Arcanum combat system uses character Speed to determine who goes first each round (6-second interval):

1. Kai - SPD 14
  2. Rhys - SPD 13
  3. Thalgack - SPD 12
  4. Ethraniel - SPD 10

If you have any questions about our adventure, please ask here or pm me. I'll be making our forum private and sending invites to all players today 🙂

18 minutes ago, Jedaii said:

The Discord is appreciated @darlis moonbeam and players can use it if they like, but like @RedMax I'm too busy to keep up with Discord chat 🤪 This OOC thread and pms is the very best way to communicate with me.

Now, we have an Elf, Dwarf, Druas and Zephyr. Quite the unusual group. My thinking behind optional backstories was I would need to create a reason for a racially-diverse party adventuring together. The adventure prologue:

• Roughly three months ago Goblin raids on Atlantean trade lines increased in frequency and brutality. Within weeks Goblin activity increases in other places such as Hyperborea and Alba with non-human communities being terrorized by large Goblin forces
  • Wealthy merchants looking to protect their products dispatched messengers across the realm offering high-paying jobs as caravan guards (1 gp per day!)
  • Drawn by either gold or community-defense, your character joined what the Atlantean High Council named "The Kobalos": the great war of the World versus the Underworld
  • Taking advantage of the Goblins' largely nocturnal nature, armed forces - combined of humans and non-humans - located, invaded and overwhelmed the Goblin King Buezl's forces culminating in a final battle under the Atlas Mountains
  • The current party of adventurers - Ethraniel, Rhys, Kai and Thalgack - were the lone survivors of a larger force decimated by a battle with Goblin forces that resulted in the rescue of hundreds of humans captured by the (now defeated) Goblins
  • In the aftermath, the small quartet of PC adventurers headed for Atlantis (roughly a week's ride) - with letters of commendation signed by an Atlantean military officer - to collect their three-months commission of gold (nearly 100 gp each) from Atlantean merchants
  • Having spent the last week or so fighting together the PCs have developed a level of camaraderie that makes their racial/background differences less of a problem. Players are free to improvise stories of the PCs' battles against the Goblin forces and the party's time together as they near the kingdom of Atlantis
  • The region the party is traveling through is primarily hills and forests with occasional encounters with travelers (human usually). This region is also well-known for its bandits and tribes of Atlantean outcasts
  • The time would be the Fall of the year (mild days and cold nights) with overcast skies but limited rain

Player thoughts?

I like it. I prefer the in media res style that we already know each other and have fought in battles together. That we are on a journey to get our pay makes perfect sense. :D

works for me - you'll all note that Ethraniel is a man of few but well placed words. Maybe it's due to his being a Druas, or maybe because of the general attitude of others towards Druas in general, but he never speaks of it, or why he joined, or where hes from.

ร—
ร—