The Black Moss-Hag of Lug epilogue

Saltimbanco

Iodás regarded the woman thoughtfully. This was no small trick, as his helmet appeared to have no way to IMG_1879.webpsee outward, and yet, he did not seem inconvenienced by the metal mask.

“The caves were far more extensive than anyone would have guessed. While some graves and maybe a skeleton would have been typical, this was a set of natural caves than had been mined for many years, making them larger still. Some are flooded, and with the right weapons and more rope, it should be simple enough to clear those…things…out. They’re agitated, their holy trinket has gone missing. I suspect they’ll search until it is found, even if it means risk to themselves.”

“There was also a fish-creature. I had to swim into his cave to find him, and left my axe behind me to swim more effectively. I did not care for my odds armed with only a knife. Now that we know he is there, we can bring the weapons we need.

Speaking of which, we are short on crossbows. I can make the wooden parts myself, but the metalwork requires a forge. Have you a smith in this town?”

5e2c715fa79c3df8f4a4951ed027bbe0.jpgMuireall considers Iodás' words, nodding her head and scratching at her chin. "We do have a smith, actually. She has a shop one street over, just behind this inn actually. And you can make crossbows, eh? We do have an atilliator here in town. He may allow you to rent his forge."

"And of these creatures. Of what manner? And a cave system under the bogs? That is interesting. And they are what took the children? Do you know why?"

Edited by eakratz (see edit history)

Morrull- Common Stock, Scout (1)

1114987654fullres.jpgArmorStudded Leather AC = 6
Small Shield +1 to AC
DEX +1 to AC
AC: 5/4 | HP: 7/7 (d6) | AttributesST: 11
Attack Mod: +0
Damage Mod: +0
Test of ST: 2/6
Ex Feat of ST (%): 4%

DX: 17
Attack Mod (missile): +2
Defence Adj: +1
Test of DX: 4/6
Ex Feat of DX (%): 32% (+8% due to Class)

CN: 15
Hit Point Adj. +1
Poison/Rad. Adj. +1
Trauma Survival (%): 85%
Test of CN: 3/6
Ex Feat of CN (%): 16%

IN: 13
Languages: +1
Bonus Spells by Level: N/A
Learn New Spell (%): N/A

WS: 8
Willpower Adj. +0

CH: 16
Rxn/Loyalty Adj. +1
Max. Henchmen: 8
Undead Turning Adj. N/A
| Speed, Saves, ATKsSpeed: 50'

Saves 16 +2 vs. Device, Avoidance; +1 vs Poison/Rad

FA 1 THAC0 = 19

Horseman's Pick +0 (1d6); +2 vs. plate armors
Dagger +0 (1d4); thrown: +2 10/20/30
Sling +2 (1d4) 50/100/150
| Class AbilitiesAgile: +1 AC when unarmored & unencumbered
Alertness: -1 on d6 vs. being surprised
Backstab: +4 to hit; x2 damage (1st-4th level)
Controlled Fall: 10' per character level
Detect Secret Doors: 3:6
Determine Depth/Grade: 2:6 (1st-4th level)
Disguise: 1:12 failure (c.f. CH = 16+)
Extraordinary: +8% to DX feats (already included)
Run: MV = 50 when wearing no or light armor
Track:
wilderness: 7:12
non-wilderness: 9:12
| Thief Abilities Climb 9:12
Discern Noise 4:12
Hide 6:12
Manipulate Traps 4:12
Move Silently 6:12
Open Locks 4:12

These include Attribute bonuses, if any.
| LanguagesCommon
Keltic (Goidelic Dialect)
| Special EffectsBlessings of Rel; +1 to next Open Locks attempt |

The "Little People" are the corrupted remnants of the IX Legion of ancient Rome, the Scout interposed, trapped below by the victorious and arcane Picts. I suspect that these caverns lead to, or maybe, once did, deeper into the bowels of Underborea (he looked at Iodás and Luciana here): we saw signs of corruption elsewhere, including some demon-spawn maggots or grubs, though perhaps the Lady Luciana here could provide a more 'professional' appraisal regarding Hellspawn. The site was formerly a mining operation, but perhaps unused for the purpose since the Green Death.

We have heard, but did not confirm that the Worms may be lead by a "snake man," by name of Ssleessik.

The key element of the mystery would seem to be an object - a Stone - sacred to the Worms of Ymir, a name of Viking origin - and there were other signs of past Viking connections as well. This object appears to have been looted from the caverns, but by whom we are uncertain. The rescued teens claim Ssleessik charged the peat cutters with the deed, thus holding the teens to ransom against its return. My colleagues related to me how a Hag of the swamp also claimed that the peat cutters had brought retaliation upon themselves by removing this sacred stone.

I am not so sanguine regarding the Hag's indifference to these matters, but I was not present when the other's of the party ah ... ::cough:: ... interviewed her.

In any case, rescue of the teens has actually settled nothing, save for returning them to the bosom of their families. I would expect more desperate actions on the part of the Worm-men: rightly or wrongly, they believe themselves robbed of a precious relic and see the peat cutters as guilty of theft and desecration.

Allowing a few moments for this less-than-optimistic assessment to be digested, he continued: I have some questions remaining to pose:

• Is the Stone merely a symbolic object, a focus of worship that is; or, is it an artifact of actual power?
  • Who actually took the Stone and who has it now (they may be different); and, are they aware of the Stone's importance?
  • If the Stone is an Object of real power, is it better out of the hands of Ssleessik and the Worms? That is, even if the taking of the object may be been an act of simple greed or stupidity on the part of a peat farmer, did that act perhaps preempt some greater evil?
  • Or, on the other hand, if the object is benign, should steps be taken to return it to the Worms and, hopefully, peace established?
  • What might be the role of the Hag in all of this, if any? Has she something to gain by setting the peat farmers and the Worms at war with each other?

OOC

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Iodás thought for a moment.IMG_1879.webp.8ae401213298466af239436892ad041a.webp

“Morrull, who do you -think- has the stone? My guess is the farmers, because the hag doesn’t want the worm-men coming after her directly. I don’t have a scrap of proof, just suspicions.”

Small Shield +1 to AC
DEX +1 to AC

Hit Point Adj. +1
Poison/Rad. Adj. +1

Willpower Adj. +0

Rxn/Loyalty Adj. +1
Undead Turning Adj. N/A

FA 1 THAC0 = 19

Track:

| LanguagesCommon

“Morrull, who do you -think- has the stone?," asked the Warlock.

OOC: I'm eschewing the grey-green dialogue font below since it seems a bit awkward in large blocks of text (as above).

I do not know, to be truthful. And, as you noted, in the absence of evidence, I've tried not to conjecture, the Scout replied. But, I did want to pose questions to avoid possibly dangerous assumptions.

There seem to be three, ah, 'players' here. The Worms of Ymir; the peat cutters; and the Hag. The rumors of this Ssleessik complicate matters since the stories of the magical prowess of the Snake-men is legendary -- as you Ixians must know better than most. Without Ssleessik, this might be straightforward: the peat farmers took the Ymirian's (for lack of a better term) totem perhaps simply out of misguided greed and avarice: the Ymirians striking back in the only way they could. In such a case, I would have imagined forcing the villagers to return the Stone (or taking it from them) the solution. I had thought this way for much of our adventuring, perhaps why I was so sympathetic to the Ymirians, above and beyond their sad history.

Yet it is surely a questionable coincidence that the Hag, Utla, just happens to have her abode in this very area. Perhaps Muireall has information regarding the Hag's antecedents (history in this area)?

But, I readily concede, I do not know what is the case here: only that there seems to be a number of possibilities. It might be risky for Utla to hold the Stone, granted, but perhaps she has convinced the Ymirians or Ssleessik that the farmers have taken it (or the farmers took it at her behest)? Perhaps her goal is to see both groups destroyed leaving the bogs (and the Stone) to her alone? For that matter, do we even know whether the Ymirians are aware of Utla? All wild guesses, of course. Perhaps she merely fears Ssleessik and seeks others to rid herself of their threat?

If you ask instead, 'what should we do then?' should we choose or be charged to involve ourselves further, we could return in the hopes that some inquiries amongst the farmers might get a loose tongue wagging. An alternative would be to observe the farmers (or potentially Utla) clandestinely in hopes of uncovering the location of the Stone, but I cannot imagine how to do so without the risk of embroiling ourselves should the Ymirian's attack -- who in any case, would attack at night when we would be at a disadvantage.

After a moment's reflection, the scout added: I was not with your party when you interviewed the farmers initially. Anything in hindsight that strikes you now as ... telling?

OOC

5e2c715fa79c3df8f4a4951ed027bbe0.jpg"Ah. Ulta. The "Black Moss-Hag of Lug. Crazy witch who lives in the bogs. She came here years ago but I don't know from where or what her motivations might be with this Stygian Stone. I just assumed she was a crazy hermit. Sometimes she'll provide aid to the rangers or farmers, but always for a price. Which is fair, but the price is never coin. Always some kind of service, but know one will admit to what this service is."

"I'll secure another 400 gold for you if you can find this Stygian Stone and solve this potential threat. Luciana, as a paladin, and Morrull as a scout who works with the rangers, I know I can trust your word if you say this task is done. I imagine it would soon be obvious if it is not."

"The fact that both Utla and the children mention the stone was taken by peat-cutters leads me to believe we should ask around these folk first. How the Black-Moss Hag knows this information I don't know.

Small Shield +1 to AC
DEX +1 to AC

Hit Point Adj. +1
Poison/Rad. Adj. +1

Willpower Adj. +0

Rxn/Loyalty Adj. +1
Undead Turning Adj. N/A

FA 1 THAC0 = 19

Track:

| LanguagesCommon

Morrull studied the Counsellor carefully, trying to read her words.

Just to be clear, he posed, if the threat can be 'solved' by returning the Stygian Stone to its previous place, we are authorized to take it from the farmer or whomever might hold it?

He held up his hand hastily to ward off any objections.

I don't mean to judge now whether returning the Stone to its former place is, in fact, the proper course of action, he explained. As I said earlier, I am concerned regarding the intentions of this Ssleessik. I just want to be clear that we have the Council's authorization to consider the disposition of the Stone to be delegated to us.

After a few moments, in which the scout appears to be in deep thought, Morrull speaks again. I ... I may have ... I would like to ask for half of the funds in advance, perhaps in the form of portable gems, and without notice to anyone else. As you noted, our word is good and it may be possible ... but I would not wish to say too much lest rumor spread ahead of us. Oh, and the use of a cart and horse or oxen.

OOC

Edited by Vedast
Add nascent idea last paragraph (see edit history)

Small Shield +1 to AC
DEX +1 to AC

Hit Point Adj. +1
Poison/Rad. Adj. +1

Willpower Adj. +0

Rxn/Loyalty Adj. +1
Undead Turning Adj. N/A

FA 1 THAC0 = 19

Track:

| LanguagesCommon

OOC

This jumps ahead to when Iodas, Luciana, and Morrull take leave of Muireall, whether or not she agrees to front any funds or provide a cart and ox/mule. Of course, Iodas and/or Luciana may wish to have their own discussion with the Counsellor.

As the party of three take their leave, Morrull provides the warlock and paladin a precis of his (proposed) plan.

I have some times had reason to act in the guise of a merchant. What I propose is that I pose as a "Purveyor of Antiquities" and make my way back to the peat farmers. I claim to have heard of Viking legends that there might be objects of historical value associated with subterranean excavations in the area and that I would offer reasonable market value for such objects d'arte. Maybe show a gem and some gold. In the meantime, the rest of the party camps nearby and maintains a watch (particularly in case the Ymirians attack).

The hope is that the peat farmers -- if they have the Stone -- might begin to fall victims to avarice and greed: maybe even turn on themselves in case one person thinks it is better to sell than another. In any case, this might be the only option to (i) trying to discover the Stone by stealth or (ii) by main force. At least, maybe the holder of the Stone tries to move it to another hiding/secure location -- that the party observes?

It would be better, he mused, were I to have a bodyguard and/or a driver, but perhaps that cannot be helped. I think it better, though, that the peat cutters not believe that the party has returned. That might cause them to hold together.

OOC

Iodás thought for a moment.IMG_1879.webp.8ae401213298466af239436892ad041a.webp

“It’s a reasonable plan. You’ll need a signal horn, in case you need us. We might be able to recruit here, so you’re not alone.

i leave it to you, but you may be able to simply ask them. I doubt they know the stone’s purpose.”

Small Shield +1 to AC
DEX +1 to AC

Hit Point Adj. +1
Poison/Rad. Adj. +1

Willpower Adj. +0

Rxn/Loyalty Adj. +1
Undead Turning Adj. N/A

FA 1 THAC0 = 19

Track:

| LanguagesCommon

"I doubt they know the stone’s purpose.”

True, but didn't the two teens tell us (Post at Old Site Aug 14 '23, 12:59pm) that they were being ransomed against the Stone's return? That could hardly be the case unless the peat-cutters had been informed, somehow of the terms. They likely suspect the Stone has value ... if not its purpose.

Unless, of course, Ssleessik is presuming that the peak-cutters know the value of the Stone and can guess that the teens were taken for ransom. Still, that seems a bit of a stretch. And they - the peat cutters - might be less defensive if they are allowed to bring up the Stone themselves. Isolated folk like this can be fairly tight-lipped and suspicious ... as well they should be, I suppose, to be fair.

My guess - and it is a guess - is that some one or two of those peat cutters must have an inkling of the thing's value and may be hiding their possession of it from other farmers, especially the families of the teens. Perhaps after this trouble, they might be willing to get rid of it if they can make a bit of coin from the transaction.

Of course, this is also assuming that someone amongst those farmers has it: and not the Hag. But one thing at a time, perhaps.

A signal horn? Morrull slaps his forehead. An excellent suggestion, Iodás. I'm aghast that I hadn't packed a signal whistle beforehand, but a horn would certainly carry farther. I'll be certain to add one to my list of items.

OOC

Magnus Karlson leaves his tent and notices some people talking to his friend Muireall and approaches. He is dressed in his adventuring gear with his holy symbol proud and his viking heritage shown as well. He says in his native tongue" hello strangers and muireall I brought the things you asked and I also heard about recruitment. ' He then curses to himself as some of these strangers do not speak his native tongue so he switches.

Magnus then says in a common tongue "Hello strangers and muireall I brought the things you asked and I also heard about recruitment. I am new to these lands and eventually trying to get home. Muireall found me a week ago and I am slowly discovered I am long away from home. I am a cleric of Lunnaqua and am looking for work and adventure."

96c7e199aa033daa88c620ee51b5e0d9--character-ideas-character-inspiration.jpg

spacer.png
spacer.png
Luciana had stayed quiet for the meeting with Muireall, allowing her companions to repeat the events of what had transpired. Morrull was infinitely more thorough than she would have been anyhow.

As the group began to exit the building and discuss their plans, a newcomer showed up almost as if on cue--or by decree of the Gods.

"By the bounty of the Goddess, you have come at a most opportune time, stranger," she said, taking note of his garb and style of clothing. "I fear I do not recognize your other tongue, but your dress reminds me of this blade..." She took a moment to slowly pull the magical sword Thorn free from its sheath and lay the blade across an open palm to display its runework.

"This was found along with the remains of a Viking warrior in a nearby cavern. In exchange for taking this blade, I have promised to bury him in a way befitting such a warrior. Alas, I know little of Viking culture... but you... you look as though you may very well know such a thing. Pray tell, are you yourself Viking?"

Stats

Human Paladin LG
Reaction/Loyalty +2

HP 11/11 AC 4 DR 1
Saves 16 (vs. all +2)
Speed 30 ft

Healing Hands 2/2
Cure Disease 0/1 (3 days to recharge)

Fighting Ability +1
Thorn, +1 Broadsword +3 @3/2 1d8+4 (d10+4)
Footman's Mace +0 @1/1 1d8+2 (d10+2)

*STR 17 DEX 12 CON 15 INT 8 WIS 8 *CHA 17

5e2c715fa79c3df8f4a4951ed027bbe0.jpgJust to be clear, he posed, if the threat can be 'solved' by returning the Stygian Stone to its previous place, we are authorized to take it from the farmer or whomever might hold it?

"I can't be sure if that simply would solve it, but it's worth a shot. I wouldn't just grab it from them if you find it. Maybe when you find them just explaining the situation would work. Unless it is in the hands of the thieves guild or something similar, then you have the full authority to use any means necessary. But if its in the hands of a couple hapless farmers or peat-cutters, more gentle means would be preferable.

I don't mean to judge now whether returning the Stone to its former place is, in fact, the proper course of action,he explained. As I said earlier, I am concerned regarding the intentions of this Ssleessik. I just want to be clear that we have the Council's authorization to consider the disposition of the Stone to be delegated to us.

"I don't know what this Ssleesik is, but a snake-man with interested near the town can't be good. If you can find a way to permenantly end the threat of that one I wouldn't be disappointed." She pauses, a thoughtful look on her handsome visage. "Ideally, simply placing the stone back onto the pedestal should be enough so yes, if you just do that you can have the new reward. If find out Sslessik's ambitions that would be more. IF you find out he is in fact a danger, or if he just attacks you on sight and you dispatch him I'll find more coin for you. I can't be sure the exact amount yet, but at least an additional hundred. I have it in coin we don't really have easy access to gems. I suggest finding a jeweler in Khromarium to make that exchange. But yes, an advance is fine. Find me at the meeting house in the morning after you have rested for your ordeal and I will have that for you."

OOCSome of the peat cutters live here in town, just an FYI. You don't have to immediately head out to the farms, you can start your search here in Swampgate.

Edited by eakratz (see edit history)