Saving the Mayor's Niece

Koradin_Soulforge

As the RFT twists into the convoluted paradigms of interdimensional travel, the assembled groups disassembles and reassembles in an open patch of the forest near the village of Randomere, where the see the local Sheriff, Crixus Haft.

The group stands next to a running creek that is running into the mouth of a cave which seems to descend slightly and then go on for some distance. The group is on the left side of the creek which runs directly into the cave, and there is a heavy brush on the right side of the stream just before the cave entrance. Crixus is a tall and thin half-elf wearing what looks to be finely made and cared for leather armor with a pair of bastard swords diagonally across his back. He's got a scar across his right eye from a fight not long forgotten.

crixushaft.png.94d21329fb2523d3a3629b6a71afda41.png

He regards the group with his bright blue eyes for a long moment.

"Never gonna get used to that." He mutters, before gesturing with one hand towards the cave entrance.

"The criminals that took Evadne and the other village youths took them into this cave. I lost too many of my deputies in their assault to make a pass at this tunnel myself, and so we put up the request for help from the tavern.

The village will pay 50 gold pieces for proof of each criminal slain or captured, and 100 gold pieces each for the return of each of the youths. 150 if you make it out with the mayor's niece Evadne. Here is what Evadne looks like." As he holds up a scroll with a pretty well-done painting of a young human woman.

Evadne.jpg.e944422c14d54a6ab6ee0e91b59f1702.jpg

"I've also got to warn you, one of the attackers wasn't anything I'd ever seen before. He looked like this." And he holds up another painting, this one not as well-done.

firstofthesons.jpg.e4798a743841d96872e7dbd4d774dd43.jpg

"He was a monster to fight off with that hammer of his, and he could breath fire - like a dragon. Just be careful in there."

The cave mouth has a the stream running into, the stream is short enough that it looks like walking in it would be a simple thing - and the inside of the cave can be seen for about 10' before it gets dim. The cave mouth is 15' wide, the stream is in the middle and 5' wide and the cave mouth is 10' tall.

DM: Everyone make a spot & listen check to start, and let me know who has darkvision or low light vision if any. I'll have a map up with my next post once I make tokens for everyone.

Lumina

Miyuki

Keb

Mezzina

Drewan

Edited by Koradin_Soulforge (see edit history)

Image result for marilith

Mistress Mezzina

Sheet: Mystress Mezzina :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets

Classes: Marilith 3//Bard 3

Darkvision

Mistress Mezzina shook herself to clear her head as they landed by the river "I hope I get used to that soon, sends ya fuzzy headed so it does. I take it your Crixus yes" she asked in a polite tone. "I am Mistress Mezzina and I can fight as well as sing" and she gave Crixus a little bow and a smile.

Name
Spot & Listen
14; 19
1d20;1d20 [14]; [14,19]

catfolk-ranger-with-black-and-white-fur-fighting-against-v0-xYzgu8y_FTj2Gv6YoUQTNBkez3_SmtU9CmTUo5FDl3Y.jpg.b8568fe23ee3b259b09dec918d8b1c67.jpg

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2832353][B][SIZE=+1]Drewan Ghoststep[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Neutral Good Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 27/27, [B]Speed[/B] 40 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 14, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 4 [B] MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) [/B] +9 (1d8+1, x3) [B] MW Scimitar [/B] +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2) [B] 2x Throwing axes [/B] +8 (1d6, x2) [B] Mithril Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14 [B]Condition[/B] None
Drewan Ghoststep
Male Neutral Good Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, Level 3, Init 4, HP 27/27, Speed 40
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) +9 (1d8+1, x3)
MW Scimitar +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2)
2x Throwing axes +8 (1d6, x2)
Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Condition None

Drewan takes a deep breath as they crossed through the portal. It never changed, always gut wrenching after that first step. Once through he sniffs the air and looks around. His ears perk up as he listens to what the sheriff says and looks at the images that he provides. Nodding his head he begins to look around the opening of the cave searching for any tracks. After seeing anything he could see he turns back to the sheriff, "So these kidnappers, how many were there? You said this one was unlike anything you had seen before, what about the rest? What were they like, what kind of weapons they carry? Besides the mayor's niece, how many other youths were taken?" while he spoke the common tongue fluently he spoke with a slightly silibant accent to the words.

Name
Spot
1d20+5 5
Listen
1d20+7 14

Keb

keb.png.93d4ec5dca6fd5e88fc5e952cea51ba9.pngKeb shakes off the disorienting effects of the transport and looks around. When the elf speaks, he turns, listening intently.

After the speech, and the cat's question, Keb adds his question, his voice thick and gravelly.

"How far are we from your village?"

Name
Listen
1d20+7 4
Spot
1d20+8 15

DM: I'm holding off on the results of the spot/listen checks I asked for until everyone has posted - but I'm answering the questions that have been asked.

crixushaft.png.94d21329fb2523d3a3629b6a71afda41.png

Sheriff Haft nods in response to Mezzina, though its quite obvious to her that he is a bit thrown by the appearance of a demon but he moves past it quickly. This was help gained from the RFT after all. He then answers Drewan,

"There were at least 20 other assailants. Mostly human or human looking enough, though a few of them seemed to change faces throughout the attack - it was very chaotic, I could just be imagining things. They had swords and axes and bows, the usual weapons you'd expect vagabonds to have and carry - ill gotten gains from the wars they've been forgotten in. Aside from Evadne, there were maybe 10 or 11 youths taken. I'm not sure - I've got another deputy back in the village getting a good count and reckoning of what was taken.

As far as my village - we're about half a days hard march from it."

Mistress Mezzina

Sheet: Mystress Mezzina :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets

Darkvision

Mistress Mezzina looks at the sheriff and asks "is there any indication as to what the possible reason for their abduction is? Also are there any other villages near to yours, it is possible that they could have gotten a small army together by now" she says.

catfolk-ranger-with-black-and-white-fur-fighting-against-v0-xYzgu8y_FTj2Gv6YoUQTNBkez3_SmtU9CmTUo5FDl3Y.jpg.b8568fe23ee3b259b09dec918d8b1c67.jpg

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2832353][B][SIZE=+1]Drewan Ghoststep[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Neutral Good Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 27/27, [B]Speed[/B] 40 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 14, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 4 [B] MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) [/B] +9 (1d8+1, x3) [B] MW Scimitar [/B] +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2) [B] 2x Throwing axes [/B] +8 (1d6, x2) [B] Mithril Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14 [B]Condition[/B] None
Drewan Ghoststep
Male Neutral Good Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, Level 3, Init 4, HP 27/27, Speed 40
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) +9 (1d8+1, x3)
MW Scimitar +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2)
2x Throwing axes +8 (1d6, x2)
Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Condition None

Drewan listens as the sheriff speaks about what they were up against. He raises an eyebrow at the mention of twenty assailants as well as the fact that there were around ten or eleven youths being kidnapped. He also snorts as Mistress Mezzina spoke of a small army. "Well twenty well armed and well trained individuals would be a small army, but to your point, they may have even more folks than we even know about." he realized that discretion was going to be very important, they could not just rush in and hope for the best. Turning back to the Sheriff, he asks some more follow-up questions "You said it was chaotic, but did you notice if the assailants appeared to be well organized or did it seem like they relied primarily on the fact they had the numbers? Also how many of them were archers? Just want to understand as much as possible what we are getting into, and not just jump in the deep end and hope for the best." he was always curious by nature and despite what was said about his lesser cousins, he did not have nine lives to spare. While he hoped to get as much information from the sheriff, he was still planning on scouting ahead in the cave to determine what they were up against before they rushed in, he looks around at the rest of the party before a stray thought comes to the surface. "So I hope, I do not know these folks well yet, hopefully they will have a steady head"

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

Lumina stood quietly at the back of the group just listening for what others had said. She quietly observed her surroundings hoping that she wasn't getting in over her head with that many people attacking the poor woman. She kept her hand on her sickle as she was not as used to these people as she'd like to be. Tensing up for a moment she glanced back at the maralith without saying a word.

Spot Roll

Listen Roll

Name
Spot Roll
1d20+6 4
Listen Roll
1d20+1 15

As the group stands and discusses outside the cave front, across the stream the bushes and shrubbery and trees seems to be moving more than one might expect them to, and as everyone in the group looks past Crixus and either hears the moving about or sees the trees and bushes shaking, it is clear that something or someone is hiding in the greenery.

DM: The group and Crixus are standing where the 1 is, the sound/movement is coming from opposite the greenery to the right of the creek.

cavefront.png.25c92132369f2cf48161af56018fe5df.png

Name
pspspsps
1d20+4 6

Mistress Mezzina

Darkvision

Mistress Mezzina looks over at the bushes and prepares to fight if needed, she then reveals an owl from her robes "everyone, meet Hoot. I will get him to fly over to have a look at what is in the bushes" she says, she whispers her instructions and the bird heads off.

Name
Listen and Spot
24; 13
1d20+16;1d20+8 [8]; [8,5]

Keb

keb.png.93d4ec5dca6fd5e88fc5e952cea51ba9.pngKeb draws his club and surveys the surrounding area where the rest of the party is not looking.

"Could be a rabbit. Could be an outlaw. Everyone beware... oh, I see you are. Mph..." he grunts.

Edited by nexiss (see edit history)
Name
Listen
1d20+7 2
Spot
1d20+8 20

As Hoot flies over and the Drewan calls out for whoever or whatever is in the bushes to come out, they are answered with the twang of crossbows.

A pair of bolts shoot out from the bushes!

The ill-aimed shots fly past the group into the woods behind them. You can see *where* in the bushes the shots came from, but the assailants still have cover and concealment to a degree.

round1firstfight.png.0bffada840977f2d1c4ba34e71d96409.png Everyone go ahead and roll initiative and tell me what you want to do.

Name
Crossbow bolt for Drewan
1d20+3 2
Crossbow bolt for keb
1d20+3 1

Mistress Mezzina

Darkvision

Mistress Mezzina slithers over the stream and skirts the bushes looking for the critter moving in the bushes, with her weapons drawn she attacks the first goblin.

Name
Battleax
SyntaxError: Unknown identifier nan
1d20+5;nan
Battle Axe
13; 7
1d20+5;1d8+2 [8]; [8,5]