SIDE: Bowing to a Lich's Whims

Sohala

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpgElhana oddly enough prepares the tea with her own hands. Something you would have expected her to have a servant do. She brings the two cups of tea over and sits a small container with cream and another with honey to sweeten it. She takes a small bit of cream and honey herself, she then listens very intently as Prax speaks. Her eye brow raises slightly when Prax said she was not sure what Jake was to her or she was to him. "That seems a bit vague." it was then her brain caught up with what was said at the end. "Wait, are you saying he was attacked by his own crew? Why would they do that?" she takes a deep breath and settles her expression. "I think you need to walk me through everything that happened as well as what is wrong with him, is there something we need to do right now, or is he stable? While we discuss this would you like my staff to spray your armor down? iI appears like it has seen a lot of action, they may not be able to repair it but they can at least clean it." You could tell she was making small talk and such to hide the anxiety she was feeling over her husband. Hoping to hear he was fine. As she sputters off from speaking a slight look of embarrassment crosses her face. "I am so sorry, I have been going on and on, and I have not even asked if you were ok, were you hurt as well? Should I summon my physician to look you over?"

Prax2.png.444f282cc9889c053259658ba35ebe00.png

Prax appreciated the personal touch Elhana chose to employ and the consideration at offering various condiments for the tea, but we opted to drink it straight. She rarely ingested anything and when she did she preferred to not let her preferences color the experience.

A restrained chuckle was suppressed by her taking a drink when the vagueness of her response was mentioned. Her thoughts turned to how best to explain it... There was a temptation to cause as much damage as she could. With Jake in his current state, there was a chance her words could drive a wedge between them... 'No... that isn't me.' She hadn't wanted to kill him and she didn't want to cause that level of upheaval now.

Prax let the woman talk herself out, seeing no reason to cut in; each person processed in their own way. When she asked about her condition, she was reminded of the various bloodstains and holes in her attire. Looking down, she shook her head, "I will survive. It hurt more in the moment than any sort of lasting impairment." Her thoughts added silently, 'I hope...'

A dark look could be glimpsed from her eyes as she continued, touching on the topic of her suit, "I would prefer it remain untouched, lest someone hurt themselves; but if you insist, a cleaning of the external plating would have the lowest chance of injury."

Having now given herself time to think and seeing the state Elhana was visibly in, Prax thought it was unfair to have not started with Jake's status. Her voice to now had been tightly neutral, her next words slipped to an unintended softness and informality, "Jake is a prisoner in his own body, but is otherwise stable. He should live if he is tended to." She cleared her throat and took another sip.

The softness was gone when she started again, "The touch of this..." She stopped, recalling she could show her the moment. Pulling up when Jake was affected, she let it play for the woman to see on her holo-display. There was Jake bravely taking on the skeletal Capt, when he struck down by a mere touch. "It said it did it because of 'slight'. Cursed to this existence for likely an offhand comment." Her head subtly shook as her thoughts unfolded, "And I was ordered to protect him." She looked the woman squarely in the eyes, "Now he is home, with you." A long pull on her cup brought its contents to near empty.

OOC

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpga look of anger crosses Elhana's face as she watched the evidence of Jake being harmed, as well as Prax destroying the captain. At the creatures destruction a look of satisfaction comes across her face. Her voice sounds very strained as she responds "So his own Captain did this to him? At least it looks like you took care of him. Do you have any idea how Jake can be cured? Does it use some kind of technology?"

She waves one of her guards over and tells them to take care of getting Prax's suit sprayed down on the outside, and told them to be careful to not mess with it or try to go inside.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

Prax had carefully watched the woman's reactions to the recording. Her muted reaction to the skeletal visage was a verification of the assertions they had made on no secrets. Still, they showed she wasn't personally familiar with the appearance. It was another bright spot in an otherwise dark day for her. The anger at the attack only added to it, and the connection she felt between the pair.

She only gave half-hearted nods in response to the first two questions. She felt the woman deserved some solstice in the moment, even if her assumptions were later proved wrong. They would have to grill Jake for details later.

Sounding a bit resigned, Prax tried to answer the woman's questions to the best of her abilities, "I am unaware of a technological solution to the problem... If he were willing, certain cybernetic installations could be used to grant him limited mobility, after fashion. It could mitigate his issues, but it is no cure." She took a deep breath, then finished off her cup. It was only a few extra moments, yet it felt like what she needed, "To have any lasting effect, I fear only a certain rite of cleansing will bring an end to it. Even then, there is no guarantee it will work."

[You are talking about magic?]

"A specialized type, yes." Then came her confession, "Even with my misgivings about him, I tried what I could to free him with no luck." She didn't know if dwelling on other possibilities would cause confusion or not, but what could it hurt, "There are many branches and focuses among the craft. I have no doubt there are other options beyond my knowledge, that could be found in time." Her cup now empty and having said her piece, she moved to stand.

OOC

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpga thoughtful look crosses Elhana's face as it was confirmed that it would take magic to cure Jake, she turns to the older gentleman that had first spoken to Prax who had been standing slightly behind and to the sude of her. "Sergeant Major Williams, can you open a secure connection back to the manor and get Felix?"

He gives her a slight grin. "You know that is not what I am here for my Lady, but since you asked nicely I can do it.

Elhana chuckles which shows that this banter was normal between them. Not exactly what you would expect from a noble. He steps over to some equipment and fiddles with it for a moment and after about ten minutes or so an image forms on the screen of an older gentleman who is dressed in Mage robes "My lady, you asked to speak to me?" Elhana nods her head before responding "Thank you Felix, it appears my husband has gotten into some trouble of a magical nature, perhaps you can advise us on what we need to do?"

she explains to him what Prax had told her and then turns to Prax "This is Felix, he is my Mage advisor, unofficially of course. I would have him as a member of my council if it was not for some antiquated laws that prevent them from holding any positions of power, and unfortunately my enemies have made manuevers that have prevented me from making him official. Can you explain to him in more detail what you think needs to happen to cure Jake?" As she waits for Prax to respond it appears that something is settled in Elhana's mind. "Also I am not sure what your long term plans are, but I will offer you the same as I have to Jake and the rest of his crew, you have safe harbor in my lands if you wish to live there."

OOC

I will let Wrath run Felix. He is a Mage ally of Elhana, that she has taken as an advisor until such time as she can make him a councilor.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

With how openly this woman appeared to speak on the subject, it was a wonder that Jake and the rest of the aliens hadn't been found out yet. The choice of not telling her everything was looking better and better to Prax. From her standing position, she observed the playful exchange, followed by the usage of the communication device. As the minutes dragged by she grew impatient and turned to leave, "You seem to have this handled."

"Please, just a few minutes more. He can be hard to pull away from his work sometimes."

Prax audibly exhaled, then gave them an extra minute anyway. Before she could try to leave again, Felix finally appeared. She passively greeted him and then went ahead and detailed the effect's appearance: dark chains interweaving his body. Then her assessment that it is not some common magical effect, given the fact it came from some powerful infected. As well as her attempts to break the chains by unraveling having failed. Considering her failed attempts and the source, they likely need something more specialized at breaking hexes, curses, or banes.

She shrugged at the woman's offer, "My future is far from being in my own hands for now..." Thinking, she realized just how true her words were. Sure, she could pick one of several ways to betray the group, sacrificing her and Elara in the process, but the current fate of the vaulters and possibly the world at large was in the hands of politicians.

OOC

I think you missed some cues... or i did, dutifully incorporated.

She is saying Remove Curse, without saying it.

You know... writing the first part made me really realize how much Prax didn't actively use her nanites AT ALL, didn't talk about it to ANYONE... yet Capt just 'knows' on sight. Their only interaction was on the magic island, so, a dead nanite zone... Jake apparently spilled everything to Elhana (and her 'help'?), but that didn't trigger anything... *shrugs* Eh, add it to the pile, I guess.

The image that fills the screen is something not seen before by the crew. Like the trolls you have seen and orcs this was something different. Almost a cross between orc and troll it had the tusks in the mouth and the head horns.

"Yes I understand M'Lady, I am aware of the magic that is needed but I am not skilled enough to cast it. You would also need to get him the Prima magi anyway to cast such magic. I can put in the request but you know how long that takes through proper channels, would be over a month even for an important reason like your husband's health. I would suggest you secure a high passage token and take the gate system would be the best way."

You find out later his meta-human type is called Ogre.

NPC stats

Felix
CR 4

XP 1,200
Male
LN Large monstrous humanoid
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10

DEFENSE
HP 43

EAC 15; KAC 16
Fort +3; Ref +5; Will +9

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft.
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

STATISTICS

Str +1; Dex +0; Con +3; Int +5; Wis +0; Cha +0
Skills Diplomacy +15, Engineering +10, Mysticism +15

image.jpeg.94310b6cfe7a767f92115686cb132b47.jpeg

Name
Mage level
1d8+1d6 3,1

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpgA look of frustration crosses her face at the news that it would require getting him to Prima Magi. She did not have access to a high passage currently and he would not have one until his Tas Membership went into effect once he was released from the island. She turns to Prax again with a look that showed her worry. "Do you know of any way we can get him there? I can not lose him." her voice breaks as she says this, her face is clearly distraught. "I know you said you do not know who he is to you, to me he is my everything. He is the kindest, smartest, most selfless person I have ever met. The first time we met was him coming out of nowhere and saving me after a building I was in exploded, even when he was also hurt in the process." tears were cascading down her face as she recalls their first meeting, she knew even then that they were meant to be together, "I beg you to help him if you can, I know he would do the same for you if the roles were reversed."

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

The response played out much as Prax had expected it to...

Wanting no further part in the game that was being played with her, she'd intended to deny the woman. She tried to bring up that it wasn't a death sentence, as she'd already noted, "I-..." The look on her face stopped her though. The words made her emotionally exhausted heart ache weakly in sympathy. Had she not bargained on similar grounds mere hours ago? That train of thought doomed her, as she mentally put herself and Elara in the pair's position... With all that, she still couldn't shake the feeling of a phantom grip on her...

A string of colorful, angry expletives tumbled from her mouth. When they ceased, she looked straight at 'Williams', "You, out." Seeing him hesitate, she pushed, "Either you leave or I do."

[Assuming he goes and there is anyone else, "You too, get."]

Prax looked at the ogre in the communication device, "She'll call you back." Then she terminated the connection. She followed up by dragging her chair directly in front of the distraught Elhana. Sitting down again, she took up the woman's hands into her hands. Her voice had been hard, but her eyes had a rimming of moisture to them that the woman could now see being this close.

"I..." Her jaw worked as she tried to find the correct words, "...think I know about how you are feeling right now." She signed that she wasn't done, "I may have the means to help further." Her face grimaced, "I wanted no further part in this petty squabble, this game it is playing... That is why I didn't say so sooner." Her shoulders slumped, "Making you suffer to spite it was never my intention..."

[Deflect inquires for clarifications on who/what 'it' is, with a 'Really?' look and then a "Jake will have better answers when this is done, for both of us."]

OOC

[Something about 'where they were going being dangerous', used as a true enough excuse for not leaving immediately]

[Maybe a formal, signed request from her.]

The last part is meh. I was initially planning a 'misguided angry storm off' with a 'humbled' return. You did too good of a job for that though.

She honestly needs 'time' to get her affairs in order before she can reasonably leave. Not sure of the best way to write the excuse. Her storming off would have covered for 'that'.

She is not happy about leaving or playing into Capt's 'whims', on multiple fronts, but has become too good of a person to let her intention to be spiteful have such a negative effect on those undeserving of it.

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpgAt the mention that she could help, Elhana begins to visibly take control of her emotions. She wipes away her tears. "I am so sorry, I am not usually so emotional. You must think I am just a silly love sick girl. However I may be able to help to smooth anything over just let me know." at first it seems she did not hear the first thing you had said before saying you could help but then she continues speaking "You have lost someone as well? Is there something I can do to help? I am sure that Jake would want me to help you as I know he too would help you."

Elhana just assumes it is Jake's captain that Prax is referring to. "Jake has told me that he felt his captain acted like a puppeteer always trying to pull strings, it was one thing that he hated more than anything else. He said he always made a point to always treat him like anyone else and not feed his arrogance, though it now appears he has retaliated for that in some childish tantrum that had zero point other than to show he was powerful. These creatures tend to be very insecure if they have to give displays of power to prove they are better." she makes an indelicate noise to show how she felt about that. "Yes I know I have power, but my belief is that I am no better than anyone else and if I do have power it is best used to help those who cannot help themselves." a look of sadness crosses her face as she says this. Though she attempts to smile, "Jake told me that was what he loved about me. Sadly he is going to be disappointed if he thinks that all of our nobles feel this way, most are more like his captain if I am being honest."

Elhana nods her head at Prax's last statement, "Yes the sooner we can get Jake cured, the sooner he can answer any questions we may have."

Prax shook her head, she knew what it was like coming to the full reality of one's feelings. Her words carried understanding and a hint of humor, "Deeply lovesick, but hardly silly for it."

At the question of having lost someone, the grip of her hands tightened, "You could say that..." Her thumbs rubbed the back of the woman's hands, "I am sorry to say, Jake already beat you to the offer." Opting for transparency, the direction of her words turned a bit dark, "I would like to think I am a better person than I once was, but I don't know if I would have brought him back to you without it..." The look on her face was one of a war of emotions, "That damn thing has me all twisted up." She barred her teeth in a snarl of frustration.

She kept her own council at Elhana's [anger(?)] filled comments, but they gave her things to think about...

The altruism the woman had shown, so far, spoke well of her, but Prax's recent sting kept her alert.

If her last words hadn't ruined the mood, her next were, to her, almost guaranteed to do so. Sitting straight, she took a single hand into hers. She hoped the earnestness of her words showed through, "I have commitments here that need tending to before any plans can be made..." Her grip held firm at the instinctual withdrawal, "Please, listen." When she saw Elhana wasn't going to lose her head at the suggestion of delays, "I need at least a few hours, maybe longer. In the meantime, if you don't have a physician on staff, I can provide a list of supplies to keep him healthy." Not wanting her to just be sitting around and agonizing over Jake, she reminded her about Felix, "Call your not-advisor back, see what you can arrange on his end and when I get back, we can see what gaps we have."

OOC

The last comment was supposed to be triggered as needed (her own deduction nullified it), but okay.

I think... that gets her to the required time?

e8b9c4be391356e22231cab36a8195ff.jpg.611daa0ee046089494c64aca17024a8b.jpgElhana smiles at Prax's statement. "Well I am glad I did not come across as silly." she gave Prax a knowing look when she said that Jake had already agreed to help her find her loved one. "Oh I am sure he would have helped you even if you had not agreed to work with him. He has a huge altruistic streak, I am not sure how well he will fit in with other nobles on this planet, those like me who think their power is to be used to help those who can not help themselves. I would not change him though." a slight smile crosses her face "Well maybe a few things, his overwhelming optimism bites him in the ass at times."

Elhana nods her head at the mention of commitments. "That I understand. If I did not gather such a great council of advisors, that could run my lands in my absence I would not have been able to come and meet Jake here." she glances over at Sargeant Major Williams, at the mention of a Physician. "Could you ask Dr. Stephenson to attend us, Prax can tell her what she needs to do to keep Jake alive till we can cure him." focusing back on Prax she chuckles at the not advisor comment. "That might be his new title. I will let you get to your commitments, while I make some arrangements as well. You are more than welcome to bunk up here in the compound, I am sure Grady can find you a spot, I mean the Sergeant Major that is. He hates when I use his first name, though I have knocked off some of his rough edges and can at least get him to joke on occasion." before she takes back her hand from Prax, she stands and pulls Prax into a quick hug. "Thanks for bringing Jake back to me and helping take my mind of the worry, even if for a short time."

After Prax left her, once she explained to the Doctor who walked in what she needed to for Jake, she moved to her comm unit and brought Felix back online under a secure connection. "Felix thanks for waiting, it looks like Prax will help get us to Prima Magi, can you make the request through your channels to get us approved for the remove curse procedure on Jake, once we can get him there?"

After 'Williams' was called back in and a doctor en route, Prax took her leave in her partially cleaned armor.

OOC

Named introductions were not documented, she would have given Rina in this instance though.

The assumption is intravenous for Jake's care.

Felix just nods at the request, " I will have a healer meet you at the base camp. If there is nothing else i will take my leave."

Looking at your GPS, you can see your only a few hours flying in your suit to the mists, and another hour you would be landside. You should be able to be back within 24 hours unless stop by any old commanders when there.

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

At least an hour passed before Prax returned. Gone was the heavy combat rifle, replaced by an overly long one strapped to her back. Next to it a [description] head of a staff poked out next to it and bundled remains. The suit looked a sight better, having been given a once over rinse here, along with some personal hands-on work to bring it back to full function; including the face plate.

Trailing her was a hovering [or wheeled] armored crate that could accommodate her the armor she was wearing. It came to rest at the gate and made to open it. The various security features whirled and hissed and then it was opened to reveal a similarly designed suit. A bit more 'shabby' than the one she wore.

Dismounting, she moved back to the crate and prepared the suit to house Jake's unmoving form. She only had so many hands, and this would hopefully reduce the stress put on him.

After securing him, his medical lines, the suit, and then finally the crate, she stopped to reassure Elhana.

With her burdens prepared, she moved to [the TAS spot?].

[Burn 'travel(s)', as I am assuming it's not covered]

OOC

Too much weight to fly herself, suit, and Jake through the Ethmyst Divide.