SIDE: Bowing to a Lich's Whims

Sohala

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

[I am not knowingly intending to mislead with this, so if I OOC have misremembered something, I am willing to make changes.]

Having hopefully moved past immediate punishment, she assumed a more customary standing position.

As blunt as Jake was being, he wasn't wrong. He could have taken a more tactful path to make his point. The annoyance Prax felt colored her first few words as she cast a side glance at him, "He is not wrong on either count, even if he could choose his words better."

She focused back on her commander, "They think us backwards-," She didn't expressly mean him, as she was well aware his threshold of acceptance far exceeded the average... she was living proof of that, "lost in petty racial and faction squabbles. Our well-founded distrust of AIs and belittling of their simulated lives doesn't help either." Her shoulders visibly sagged, "Isolationist sentiments are not uncommon, with heavy support among the upper class and vocal dissidents corralled out of sight."

There was a bright spot for her, them, and she hoped it could tip the scales, "They want no part in the wars among ourselves, but they speak of a willingness to stand together as a bulwark against the infected." Saying that and having brought the remains here spoke of a conflicting perspective, but she hoped he saw the necessity of a thaumaturgical examination. "They can't do it alone though and they know it."

"As Roberts was quick to point out," She gave him another side glance, "They claim to have already started this with the simulated battles. I was unable to verify it personally, but if true, they will need fresh batches to keep it up."

Prax had kept to the facts as best she could, expanding only to provide what she considered much needed context. Now came her opinion, "They are a prideful people, from a different time, and the Accords ask much of them. Maybe too much... What will be left for them, of them, when everything is divided up and handed out?" Disappointment was both visible in her posture and audible in her voice. "With the state of the world and terms of the Accords, acceptance seems unlikely." She shook her head and looked down.

OOC

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

When Jake goes off on one the commander looks bored while he listens to his views, but when Prax sides with Jake his face hardens. he calmly waits till she finishes her report. Taps his desk and a disk pop out. " I will delivery this to council." He says in formal voice, and his voice continue to have no friendliness to it as he continues, "You been gone too long Prax, you forget your place, or maybe just found a new place to fit in. " You catch a hint of sadness, then there is a ping as a new msg comes into Prax mail box. " Those are your transfer papers, all you have to do is sign them and you can stay where you are, you will have to request to keep your hybrid suit, if you can trade it for a tech one please do if wont be on the isle, it would help, but it is issued to you. Now i suggest you both leave back to where you came from, the infected are pushing forward and i am needed on the front line."

He walks towards the black armour at far end of the room.

Jake Roberts

kira-mayer-3-4.jpg.8feb1d40c3e2fcc61e099a169a18de3d.jpg

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2809477]Jake Roberts[/url][/b] [i]Human Operative 12 NG[/i] [b]HP[/b] 108 / 108 [b]RES[/b] 12 / 12 [b]STAM[/b] 108 / 108 [b]Speed[/b] 40ft [b]Init[/b] 6 [b]KAC[/b] 20 [b]EAC[/b] 21 [b]Fort[/b] 7 [b]Ref[/b] 14 [b]Will[/b] 11 [b]CMB[/b] 28 [b]BAB[/b] 9 [b]Laser Pistol[/b] +9 (2d81, 20) [b]Laser Sniper Rifle[/b] +9 (3d8, 20) [b]High Frequency Sword[/b] +6 (2d6+2, 19-20) [b]Stun Baton[/b] +6 (1d6+2, 20) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 22 (6) [b]Con[/b] 16 (3) [b]Wis[/b] 16 (3) [b]Int[/b] 23 (6) [b]Cha[/b] 16 (3) [b]Soc[/b] 10 (0) [b]Edu[/b] 28 (9)
Jake Roberts Human Operative 12 NG HP 108 / 108 RES 12 / 12 STAM 108 / 108 Speed 40ft Init 6 KAC 20 EAC 21 Fort 7 Ref 14 Will 11 CMB 28 BAB 9 Laser Pistol +9 (2d81, 20)
Laser Sniper Rifle +9 (3d8, 20)
High Frequency Sword +6 (2d6+2, 19-20)
Stun Baton +6 (1d6+2, 20) Str 14 (2) Dex 22 (6) Con 16 (3) Wis 16 (3) Int 23 (6) Cha 16 (3) Soc 10 (0) Edu 28 (9)

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Acrobatics +25
Athletics +19
Bluff +20
Computers +23
Culture +18
Diplomacy +9
Disguise +15
Engineering +28
Intimidate +20
Life Science +8
Medicine +8
Mysticism +5
Perception +20
Physical Science +8
Piloting +34
Profession +16
Sense Motive +20
Slight of Hand +18
Stealth +23
Survival

+20

Jack of all Trades +2
Repair 10 +10
Local Computer Use +11

Feats and Abilities 

Feats:

Skill Focus: Piloting

Skill Synergy: Engineering and Piloting

Far Shot

Sky Jockey

Hide Sabotage

Tactician

Weapons Specialization: Basic Melee

Small Arms and Sniper

Skill Focus: Computers & Engineering

Class Abilities:

Operatives Edge +4

Specialization: Hacker

Trick Attack +6d8

Evasion

Debilitating Trick

Uncanny Agility

Specialization Skill Mastery

Operative Exploits:

Nightvision

Uncanny Pilot

Enhanced Senses

Elusive Hacker

Soft Movement

Cloaking Field

Control Hack

Glimpse the Truth

Languages: English, French, German, Mandarin, Trade Language, Vaulter, Elven, Dwarven, Troll, Ork

Equipment 

Equipment:

Laser Pistol (6500 Cr)

Laser Sniper Rifle (15000 Cr)

Stun Baton (500 Cr)

High Frequency Sword (650 Cr)

Ceremonial Navy Sword (Mustering out Navy weapon)

Personal nanoshield (50000 Cr)

Personal shield (5000 Cr)

D Suit I (63600 Cr)

Display contacts (over eyes) (650 Cr)

Card Computer (3500 Cr)

Intelipick (350 Cr)

Combat Vac Suit (100 Cr)

Data Port Implant (head slot)

MRK II Augmentation to all 6 Stats (390000 Cr)

Fighter Ship(See post below) (3MCr)

Vehicle Recon Enercopter (Mustering out)

TAS Membership (Mustering out)

3 Ship shares worth (10 MCr)

Broadsword Class Merc Cruiser

Jake gives the commander a discerning look. He knew for a fact that no military was so efficient that it cut transfer orders on the fly. So he might try and play it off as if her outburst here was the cause, he knew that it had been decided a while back, she just gave him an easy out to deliver them with less shame on his part. Though he could also tell the man genuinely did not want this outcome and had perhaps even held out hope that a different outcome could have been achieved.

Jake also had some suspicions that the captains hand was somehow in this, once he got his claws into someone he did not like to let them go and with her placed close to them her connections to them would eventually bring her into the fold. She might never really love the captain. "Not that anyone really loved him, respect might be the closest they ever came." he thought, but she at least would grow closer to the rest of the crew, except perhaps Sammy, he would need to watch his back with her.

All of this he ruminated on as he watched the drama unfold in front of him. He gives Rona a look of compassion and even looked at the commander with a small modicum of respect before he speaks up as the man turns and begins to leave to lead his men in battle. "I am sorry we did not meet on better circumstances Commander, I think perhaps we might have even been friends, you appear to understand that your troops are actually people and not just a tool to be used to further your plans and just as expendable. I do wish you well in your fight, and know that you do have a retired High General and a noble of the human realms that want you to succeed in your endeavor against the infected and will push for the vaulters to play a more vital role in that outcome." he had been wrong about the man in his first impression of him, and he was man enough to admit it. If this world had any sense of justice they might meet again on better circumstances. He turns to Rona then, "Whenever you are ready, I would like to get back to my wife and learn what is happening to my men by vaulter leadership."

OOC

Well hopefully Jake smoothed things over a small bit there.

The commander looks back when Jake speaks but does not address him but Prax "You ask what will be left for them, of them, they are not a different people, the accords were created so the lost could be brought back into the fold, maybe even teach us new things along with the tech they bring, if can remind them of that, to be a nation alone cannot bring change, but a world of nations can move even the stars as our forebears did."

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

Prax took the delayed rebuke with her head down and eyes closed. She had thought she'd been ready for it... when her sentence came down, she realized she wasn't. She'd errored in bringing Jake along to this. Misguided in thinking that having an example of a quiet dissenting voice would bring any credence to the inherent divide among the Vaulters.

A conjured version of the digital documents materialized in her hands, as if they were a physical thing.  Her legs were weak as she read through them... Had she lost his trust? Had she fallen that far? Presenting Jake's head on a pike had merit, but would likely be seen as reckless...

OOC

Clarification on the rough text/titles/orders, please.

It just a request to transfer from your unit based on the island to the special unit under the council direct command. Some would look at it as a promotion as the council gig is outside command structure, only report to council and aids. Asks confirm agree to transfer or not.

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

A lump grew in her throat as she noted the details... He had fought this, she believed, no, she knew he had. It had to be him to do it and in person. That was why he had resisted the request for Jake's transport. She had persisted though. Bringing him into his own house... Her eyes began to mist around the edges.

Her brain wanted her to ask the important question, for which she expected a non-answer from him, but her heart wouldn't let her... It was her actions that had driven them to this point, she would not further tarnish his view of her by second-guessing his integrity.

Even as she failed to express herself, she processed that Jake had made some attempt at making amends, but it was her commander's words that got through her state. Filled with the idealism she had come to miss in her absence. The very same she had scoffed at during her training... The thoughts invoked memories of younger years. He with a few fewer wrinkles and her failing at the simplest of magics, while always looking over her shoulder for a threat that wasn't there...

Jake broke her from her reverie, but she missed the first words of consideration, catching only his desires. She would later claim she didn't know what she was doing at the moment, but to herself, she knew she was fully aware of her actions. There was no premeditation or planning as she moved, the left hook catching him on the side of the jaw. It was solid and well placed, but little more than symbolic, her stature and lack of body mass sapping most of the potential impact.

Prax felt like she had disappointed her commander somehow. She had to prove herself in some way... Her form was horrid and her voice cracked when she said it, but she took pride in her willingness, "Sir! Coordinates?"

OOC

Little manufactured add-ins there, they seemed fitting.

Tweaked the timings. And he deserved that.

One thing I am surprised by from the exchange is the expectation of the commander to be a jerk, along with thinking/accusing him of the same sentiments that Kaelan accused Jake of being. Seeing as Prax was in that conversation and didn't have anything ill to say of him...

I will need the estimated travel time too.

28 Sense Motive to read him.

Jake Roberts

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2809477]Jake Roberts[/url][/b] [i]Human Operative 12 NG[/i] [b]HP[/b] 108 / 108 [b]RES[/b] 12 / 12 [b]STAM[/b] 108 / 108 [b]Speed[/b] 40ft [b]Init[/b] 6 [b]KAC[/b] 20 [b]EAC[/b] 21 [b]Fort[/b] 7 [b]Ref[/b] 14 [b]Will[/b] 11 [b]CMB[/b] 28 [b]BAB[/b] 9 [b]Laser Pistol[/b] +9 (2d81, 20) [b]Laser Sniper Rifle[/b] +9 (3d8, 20) [b]High Frequency Sword[/b] +6 (2d6+2, 19-20) [b]Stun Baton[/b] +6 (1d6+2, 20) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 22 (6) [b]Con[/b] 16 (3) [b]Wis[/b] 16 (3) [b]Int[/b] 23 (6) [b]Cha[/b] 16 (3) [b]Soc[/b] 10 (0) [b]Edu[/b] 28 (9)
Jake Roberts Human Operative 12 NG HP 108 / 108 RES 12 / 12 STAM 108 / 108 Speed 40ft Init 6 KAC 20 EAC 21 Fort 7 Ref 14 Will 11 CMB 28 BAB 9 Laser Pistol +9 (2d81, 20)
Stun Baton +6 (1d6+2, 20) Str 14 (2) Dex 22 (6) Con 16 (3) Wis 16 (3) Int 23 (6) Cha 16 (3) Soc 10 (0) Edu 28 (9)

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Acrobatics +25
Athletics +19
Bluff +20
Computers +23
Culture +18
Diplomacy +9
Disguise +15
Engineering +28
Intimidate +20
Life Science +8
Medicine +8
Mysticism +5
Perception +20
Physical Science +8
Piloting +34
Profession +16
Sense Motive +20
Slight of Hand +18
Stealth +23
Survival

+20

Jack of all Trades +2
Repair 10 +10
Local Computer Use +11

Feats and Abilities 

Feats:

Far Shot

Sky Jockey

Hide Sabotage

Tactician

Small Arms and Sniper

Class Abilities:

Operatives Edge +4

Trick Attack +6d8

Evasion

Debilitating Trick

Uncanny Agility

Operative Exploits:

Nightvision

Uncanny Pilot

Enhanced Senses

Elusive Hacker

Soft Movement

Cloaking Field

Control Hack

Glimpse the Truth

Languages: English, French, German, Mandarin, Trade Language, Vaulter, Elven, Dwarven, Troll, Ork

Equipment 

Equipment:

Laser Pistol (6500 Cr)

Stun Baton (500 Cr)

D Suit I (63600 Cr)

Card Computer (3500 Cr)

Intelipick (350 Cr)

Combat Vac Suit (100 Cr)

Jake flinched slightly when Rona hit him, less from any real pain and more from the surprise she did it. He rubs his chin, and gives her an apologetic smile. "I deserved that. Next time you punch though turn with your hip. That way you put your whole bodies power behind it.." he could not help himself ssying. It probably would not cause her to look at him in a better light. Though the combat trainer in him made him give advice when warranted. He saw the commander just shake his head, but a hint of a smile could be seen on his face. "Now that we got that out of the way are we ready to go?"

OOC

I mean Jake is a smartass so he will always say something smartass.

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

"Go?" There was an accusatory tone to the word, backed by Prax's hard eyes. Even though her fist tightened, it did not move to strike him again.

The issue was further complicated by the truth, or was it... Her look softened slightly as her eyes narrowed, "We-" She said that, but he could see she meant him, "are here now, they need us now." Her face was hidden from her commander's view, but Jake could see her turmoil under the surface. If they fell here, they may not be able to steer the Vaulters... war was a fickle mistress though, "And you want to leave? Knowing that even now they are preparing to fight back the Infected?"

OOC

Piddling between Jake's question and her shout. I guess it could be after... either way, whichever makes for the better narrative to you.

They are talking at a normal volume. No stage or raised voice for her commander to intentionally hear.

Jake Roberts

Statblock

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Acrobatics +25
Athletics +19
Bluff +20
Computers +23
Culture +18
Diplomacy +9
Disguise +15
Engineering +28
Intimidate +20
Life Science +8
Medicine +8
Mysticism +5
Perception +20
Physical Science +8
Piloting +34
Profession +16
Sense Motive +20
Slight of Hand +18
Stealth +23
Survival

+20

Jack of all Trades +2
Repair 10 +10
Local Computer Use +11

Feats and Abilities 

Feats:

Far Shot

Sky Jockey

Hide Sabotage

Tactician

Small Arms and Sniper

Class Abilities:

Operatives Edge +4

Trick Attack +6d8

Evasion

Debilitating Trick

Uncanny Agility

Operative Exploits:

Nightvision

Uncanny Pilot

Enhanced Senses

Elusive Hacker

Soft Movement

Cloaking Field

Control Hack

Glimpse the Truth

Equipment 

Equipment:

Laser Pistol (6500 Cr)

Stun Baton (500 Cr)

D Suit I (63600 Cr)

Card Computer (3500 Cr)

Intelipick (350 Cr)

Combat Vac Suit (100 Cr)

Jake gives Rona a look as well. "Well what exactly are you expecting me to do here and now? I am a retired general of High Command. I have no command here, while I could be of use as a Tactician I have no authority here to command troops. I have zero experience using one those suits you wear, or even a suit if I did have the experience. I am an experienced pilot, but the only ship or vessel I have access to for use is still being built back on the island. So I will help in any way I can, but I will not be cannon fodder on the front lines with just the protections and weapons i currently carry." he wanted to help and if they had a way for him to do so he was willing, within reason of course, he was not suicidal and his wife would probably kill him if he got hurt even worse than he already had been coming here. "So by all means if you have a way I can be useful here I am all ears."

OOC

He is a Pilot, Tactician with over 40 years of Military experience, and an Engineer.

Prax2.png.444f282cc9889c053259658ba35ebe00.png

Her eyes remained narrowed as Jake talked, her mouth opening partway through as her face contorted in offense, but she forced it closed to let him finish; her nose flared as she did so. She did her best to sound angry in the face of his full argument, but it came off more as being hurt, "After what we shared over the past day and the effort to get you back on your feet, you still think I would just throw you senselessly away into a meatgrinder, don't you?" She searched his face, then shook her head as she admitted to herself that she was too compromised to get a good read off him. She was just as likely to read what she wanted to see as she was the truth right now.

Prax threw her hands up in frustration as she took a few steps away, turned, shook her head again, and then turned to gesture at the box Jake had come in, "There is a suit right there," It was a tone of denial and defeat. Reality was a hard thing to beat, even when you knew magic.

OOC

While I personally don't know the full order of battle for what we would be engaging in, Prax on the other hand is an experienced hand, both in and out of the SIM. I presume, that if she is unable to get him properly fitted for her old suit, she knows where he will be best utilized/deployed in a useful role, that is relatively safe. I would like him to contribute for the narrative, but there is no desire to see him wasted to achieve that. If he has to sit out, he has to sit out.

Posted (edited)
spacer.png

She pinched her eyes shut and then breathed out a long exhale. When Prax spoke again her voice was resigned acceptance, "I wasn't naive enough to come unprepared, but neither was I wise enough to predict your needs." She looked past Jake to the box, "Any miracle I could conjure up would take time we don't have..."

Her expression was unhappy, but it had lost the anger, "You are a liability in your current state. I will not make you the burden of someone else, if I can't support you." Her head shook slowly as she relegated the hope of having even a token showing of support for the upcoming engagement as little more than a fantasy.

OOC

Eh, it's a double post, but we get confirmation he won't be in the suit. Better than an edit in with the delay.

He can force the issue, in which case she will do what she can to get him fitted and equipped with what can be scrounged up. Otherwise, she has 'given-up' on getting him into the conflict.

Well you need to speak to commander about where Jake will be placed, and that would be on the battlefield.

Following the cords the forces have gathered outside the base camp. In the hill area you can see behind you the ruin city that every fights over. The troops are gathering you search for the command tent, which is near the front.

You both come in( and are let in by guards which is a good sign) and there is a map on wall with two path to the infected.

One hex is mark as active battle with 2 icons, Elves and Trolls, the other is just trolls.

The commander is speaking to a few other officers " We have a choice here, either join the elves battle and either get the trolls to join us or destroy them before the infected come from the north. Or we can enter this hilly area the trolls control take it and wait for the infected. There is a chance they will join us against hated foe but trolls in the enthral of battle wont be able to stop themselves, so getting those that are already in battle is not likely."

Jake Roberts

Statblock

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Acrobatics +25
Athletics +19
Bluff +20
Computers +23
Culture +18
Diplomacy +9
Disguise +15
Engineering +28
Intimidate +20
Life Science +8
Medicine +8
Mysticism +5
Perception +20
Physical Science +8
Piloting +34
Profession +16
Sense Motive +20
Slight of Hand +18
Stealth +23
Survival

+20

Jack of all Trades +2
Repair 10 +10
Local Computer Use +11

Feats and Abilities 

Feats:

Far Shot

Sky Jockey

Hide Sabotage

Tactician

Small Arms and Sniper

Class Abilities:

Operatives Edge +4

Trick Attack +6d8

Evasion

Debilitating Trick

Uncanny Agility

Operative Exploits:

Nightvision

Uncanny Pilot

Enhanced Senses

Elusive Hacker

Soft Movement

Cloaking Field

Control Hack

Glimpse the Truth

Equipment 

Equipment:

Laser Pistol (6500 Cr)

Stun Baton (500 Cr)

D Suit I (63600 Cr)

Card Computer (3500 Cr)

Intelipick (350 Cr)

Combat Vac Suit (100 Cr)

Jake walks into the command center with Rona and looks over the map and listens to the general conversation. "Well I have found that you really do not want to mix trolls and elves together, it is a fairly volatile mix if you do, their fighting styles are completely different also. Elves are better ranged fighters and are good to use to break up your enemies forward lines. Dwarves are better at building siege defenses and trolls are more your front line fighters. Their entire ideology is based on them dying well in battle. So instead of trying to force them together, use your elven troops to soften them up from a distance and then when they are in disorder then send in the trolls to mop up. You can probably use the dwarves to stiffen up your front lines with humans dispersed throughout to shore up any holes you have. You also want to keep a moble force in reserve ready to strike whenever opportunities present themselves" he continues to study the map with a thoughtful look on his face. "So I see how you have things placed but no idea the numbers they represent for you. What is the count of the different forces? Are the sides evenly matched or does one side have a numbers advantage. Of course you can overcome numbers if you can find a tactical advantage whether that is from having higher ground or using your people to their strengths instead of trying to force a group of soldiers to fight in a way they are not used it. Also if there is any way to sneak around and flank the enemy from behind helps as well. The best tactical advantage you can ever have is to not be where your enemy expects you to be and to hit them from where they are not looking for you to be."

He almost felt like he was back at High Command, though he had no authority here of course and no way whatsoever to get them to follow any advice he might give, he just felt like if they were going to be confrontational with a group that could be on their side even if he was not a big fan of trolls overall could spell disaster for them and he could not in good conscious not speak up if he saw something.

OOC