What games are you planning to run in 2024?

cailano

Savage Worlds, some kind of fantasy, but with unusual features.

nWoD adapted to fantasy. I think that would be a blast, it's a great system. Maybe dark ages mage but completely removed from Earth, a fully separate fantasy setting. Maybe in the vein of Ars Magica, mages and the covenant in focus, with cohorts as secondary player characters.

9 minutes ago, Bobcloclimar said:

Thinking of finally cutting my GM teeth and attempting to run either SWN or WWN. The former would probably be Free Rain or similar one-shot, while the latter might be an adaptation of an introductory OSR adventure or something from BFRPG.

Both those systems look awesome. I love the Latter Earth setting in WWN, although it sounds like you want to stick to something more traditional. I read the Book of the New Sun this year, so those deep future settings have been appealing to me.

16 hours ago, paula36 said:

Savage Worlds, some kind of fantasy, but with unusual features.

nWoD adapted to fantasy. I think that would be a blast, it's a great system. Maybe dark ages mage but completely removed from Earth, a fully separate fantasy setting. Maybe in the vein of Ars Magica, mages and the covenant in focus, with cohorts as secondary player characters.

The nWoD supplement Mirrors (I think that's the one) had some interesting ideas on how to do that. Also the vampire supplement Danse Macbre had some 'Alternate settings' ideas as well.

I've attempted to run a nWoD game in my homebrew fantasy setting before. The massive tonal change from my normal higher fantasy steampunkish setting along with the general slow pace of PbP kinda had me shelve it for a bit. It's something I've always wanted to turn around and try and restart. Just normally doesnt get put on the priority list because I have other games that scratch that darker game itch at times and really dont want to do all the conversion paperwork. I'd love to see someone else give it a whirl though.

As for running games in 2024 I'm probably going to dip my hand into the G.I. Joe Roleplaying game. The Essence system seems to be a bit mixed on reception from what I've seen, but the setting is enough to get my 80s child nostalgia bubbling. I tried to run a similar Joe game with nWoD again but same as the fantasy game, the tone of nWoD was far grittier than I really wanted at the time out of some zany Cobra punching fun. Even leaning into the comics more than the cheesy cartoon I think the Joe game can stay upbeat enough. Sneak in some other crazy sci-fi elements as well if it keeps going.

I've been nervous to step over into GM territory, but I think 2024 might be the time to do it. I have been planning a long Pathfinder 1e campaign set in the Land of the Linnorm Kings, where there would be different adventures and modules depending on where the players want to go and when. It's ambitious given my lack of experience, so I might hold off on running that specifically...

...That said, I do want to still run a game or three. I might start with something like Fiasco or other smaller/niche games. I have been wanting to tinker with settings like Transformers or even Bionicle, something different.

So IRL I've got three regular campaigns lined up: a once a month Planescape 5e Campaign, a biweekly (maybe) Shadowrun 4th Edition game rolling over from last year and a biweekly game of Lancer. Here on the Weave . . . dunno. It's been a dogs age since I ran anything PbP and I've got a a handful of ideas* A Cybergeneration game set in the Cyberpunk RED timeline, using the Elflines Online splat to chronicle the lives, loves and dramas of a MMO Guild online and off.

* A Traveller/Cepheus Engine game focused on Scoundrels of Brixton mini campaign setting, aiming to hit a Cowboy Bebop/Black Lagoon vibe.

* A Shadowdark or OSE game set on exploring a Lich's sprawling, shapeshifting castle-phylactery and the local environs.
but I don't want to over commit. I'm in 3 PbP games, applying to a 4th and I suspect that'll be my limit for the foreseeable future.

I am hoping to start up the long-delayed sequel to a D&D 4e game I ran on OG myth-weavers. Maybe I'll run another low-level one-shot D&D 4e game if there are enough other 4e players around that might be interested. I'm also hoping for more sessions of the in-person games I'm running; it's too easy to get busy and lose the rhythm of regularly scheduled play.

I am running Season Two of The East Coast New Vindicators and The West Coast New Vindicators, a pair of teen supers games using Mutants and Masterminds for two face-to-face groups.

In the first season, it was revealed that most super-dudes are descended from one of The Fallen, the seven fallen angels that rule Hell. The teen superheroes managed to keep Abaddon, Asmodeus, Beelzebub, and Leviathan from getting their hands on The Seal Of Solomon which would allow one of them to control the others and conquer all of reality. This season took roughly a hundred sessions (fifty-ish for each group, with two cross-over sessions including both groups.)

There have been fourteen sessions (seven-ish sessions for each group) so far in the second season, and the player characters have just recently learned that Odin and some of the other Gods of Antiquity have been engaged in a secret campaign of murder, killing off super-dudes with 'Thinker' powers, and also possibly attempting to recreate The Tree Of Life and the Golden Apples (pomegranates) from whence their powers derived. Also, Beelzebub, who was really only seen briefly in the previous season, and then only for the big hoopla at the end has recently tricked The West Coast New Vindicators into revealing the last resting place of Adam, The First Man.

The game takes a lot of inspiration from The New Vindicators of the long-lost Atomic Think Tank and somewhat less, but still a significant amount from Worm and Ward. My players are creative and clever and (more importantly) interested and invested in the game and world. It has been a lot of fun so far, and I'm hoping to complete Season Two over the next eighteen months or so.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:42 AM, Bobcloclimar said:

Thinking of finally cutting my GM teeth and attempting to run either SWN or WWN. The former would probably be Free Rain or similar one-shot, while the latter might be an adaptation of an introductory OSR adventure or something from BFRPG.

would these be on MW? i hope so. Seems every game in either of these dies and i ant to learn more of the system

I'm curranty working on the rules for a dead cells inspired 4e game. The main gimmick is that the players bodies will die and they will roll on a table to get new powers. Hoping other people will find the random element engaging.

Running a campaign takes a lot of effort, so kudos to all of the DMs/GMs out there. I probably won't end up running anything myself, but if I do it'll most likely be a Storypath System game like Trinity Continuum: Assassins, Trinity Continuum: Aberrant, and/or Trinity Continuum: Aeon.

I'm going to be running the Blade Runner starter set and the follow up adventure box Fiery Angels for sure this year.

Also looking to run Call of the Netherdeep and a few horror rpg one shots with CoC, Vaesen, Candela Obscura, and Delta Green.

Might also try and get a west marches style PF game to run irregularly.