IC - Dragonheist - A Friend in Need

SMARTAgentKC

Volo sighed "Gentlemen I've told you everything I know about the disappearance of my friend and I have put forth what I can for the job take it or leave it your choice.

At this moment the Half Orc Female who had been in the bar fight came over to Volo's table "that a payment on your tab Volo." She asked "You know Durnan goin' to ask."

Volo gave a slight look as he withdrew the pouch of money "I've already paid my tab with Durnan, Yagra I'm paid up through the next week."

Yagra gave him a stare "really then what's it for."

Volo hummed "oh I'm just trying to buy some heroes to find a friend, but negotiations are breaking down they want more upfront than I can give."

Yagra snorted "how many are you trying to hire maybe that's your problem."

Volo hummed "maybe... but still I would think the more on the problem the better the result."

"Quality over quantity Volo." Yagra stated "which friend you lookin' for."

"Floon Blagmaar, Red hair dresses fancy, noble looking" Volo stated "he disappeared two nights back from the Skewered Dragon."

Yagra hummed "You got 5 dragons on you by chance. I know a few over there who would loosen theirs lips for a couple of drinks."

Volo hummed as he eyed the pouch "I'm looking to get him back to me alive."

Yagra hummed "what's your offer."

"10 dragon upfront 100 on delivery." Volo stated

Yagra grinned "10 dragon upfront, yeah you're desperate... what happened come on. You can tell Yagra to get a good laugh."

"alright alright so we had quite a few drinks and were gambling for several hours into the night and although I tried to get him to go home with me, he was still in a state of wanting to drink and gamble so I left him there." He sighed "he hasn't been home since."

Instead of laughing Yagra was silent, a serious look on her half-orc face conveyed she might know something serious

Volo looked at Yagra "Yagra? What's wrong"

"you said 10 dragon upfront right." She stated calmly

"aye. 100 on delivery"

She held out her hand "I'll look into it. No need for them, they'll just make things worse."

Volo blinked "Yagra you're scaring me what's going on."

"hopefully nothing." Yagra growled "but if what Xanther bald head was saying before he started the fight was true... your friend might be in more danger than you dare think."

Volo got wided eyed "have you heard something."

Yagra hummed "Braggart was saying something about how his little Xanther group has managed to one up the Zhentium by taking a key to the treasure of waterdeep the hard way saying they captured a red haired noble with ties to the treasure. I wanted to take it as just a little cultist trying to get a rise out of Z members but when he produced a noble ring... I knew they had interfered with us again."

Volo blinked "interfered how."

"how do you think." She then ran a hand across her throat signaling death

Volo grimaced

"look hire me alone and I'll ask around. I don't think they would want him dead outright but if he hasn't been home, he's worth something to them, just hope they haven't dragged him down to the sewers... because that's their territory and no one even inside their group comes out of there the same."

~~~ Rival Alert - ~~~

Yagra the half-orc is attempting to sway Volo into hiring her alone. If she is hired the job for the group is withdrawn.

~~~

Your move players, take the convo as information that there is more to this then even Volo knows.

Garth| AC 13 | Ini: 0 | PP: 12 | Hit Points: 36/36 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d3/e6/28/d3e6285f51610d45a1078f02cbf158ab.jpg

Garth chuckled getting up and picking up his bow before taking his 10 gold and placing them in his pouch "Eh, Yagra, Yagra, Yagra. If your brain was the third size of your muscles, you wouldn't spill all that info in front of your direct competition."

Hanging the bow around his chest, Garth picks up only a customized part of the equipment, an unlikely, but far from unwelcome, trophy from two years ago. Glaive had a far-oversized blade rivaling some Falchions, which was the reason it had, uncommon for a time, a smaller blade on the opposite side. To return balance to the pole weapon and make it more agile despite its size which was a good few feet taller than Garth who was far from short. Extra reach was always welcome, but the way how Garth handled it showed that some of that balance and agility was achieved. He placed it next to him and leaned against it so the smaller point wedged into the floor for about half an inch.

He looks at others "Since she was kind to give us more info than our "celebrity" employer for free I think we can go and leave him to mule her offer. I don't mind racing to see who will reach this oh-so-valuable redhead, as long as she stays out of our way." He tips his imaginary hat to Yagra "Thanks beautiful, we were getting nowhere with this..."Wizard" is all I know for sure. Your input was invaluable"

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Glaive: 1d20+5, 1d10+3,

Greatsword: 1d20+5, 2d6+3

Hand Axe x2: 1d20+5, 2d6+3

Longbow (20 Arrows): 1d20+3, 1d8

Actions/OOC

Free:

Bonus:

Reaction:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Maneuvers (5d8)-(4d8 left)

Brace

Grappling Strike

Quick Toss

Sweeping Attack

Trip Attack

OOC:

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

It's now clear to Vadania that the other members of the party possess something Vadania severly lacks, experience in handling with people like Volo and Yagra.
If he wants to succeed in finding out what his vision means there is no more doubt in his mind that he needs this band of adventurers.
Vadania decides then and there to make no secret of his intentions and does so with a simple nod to Donaar to signal that he is in.

Edited by Ziminar
Spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Yagra gave an amused grin to Garth. "Good luck getting past those at the Dragon handsome." She replied "and watch out for any big eyes looking at you because they are." She lightly laughed then walked off.

Volo hummed "well I guess we have an agreement then. I look forward to hearing the story when you get back with my friend."

~~~

Upon receiving your 10 dragons, your mission is set, your job finding Floon Blagmaar, last known whereabouts, the Skewered Dragon in the Dockward

~~~

Tall, densely packed tenements leave most of the neighborhood in the Dockward in shadow at ground level. Most of the streetlamps have had their glass smashed and their candles stolen, and the smells of salt air and excrement linger as you pass by rows of run-down buildings. Two things immediately catch your eyes, what appears to be several city watch gathered by a corner about two blocks down with a black and yellow painted rope blocking off the nearby alley, and a deep purple colored building with purple smoke coming out of the building. Both of them aren't your target location but are interesting none the less.

Curiosity do you even know where the Skewered Dragon is? Give me a History Check to see if you know outright or you can choose to investigate what I've marked as interesting points.

Garth| AC 13 | Ini: 0 | PP: 12 | Hit Points: 36/36 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

Warrior just winks at Yagra, "I did some freelance job for Z, they are a big network, acting like you know more than I do just because you got caught in their net in Waterdeep is naive little fish. Be careful they don't get hungry when they find out how liberal with their name you are."

Garth waits until they are all out and in a secluded enough area before stopping and again leaning on his glaive "Well. she does have a big mouth. Although coincidence was...remarkable. Namely, the key she mentioned, I believe I have one of them. It had nothing to do with the job and I saw no reason to mention it, but now..." He shrugged

"But first thing first, everyone here knows that we are going against Zhentarim right, and know what they are capable of. Frankly, if this was just about Volo's friend I'd walk, but now the famous Waterdeep treasure is on the table and I wouldn't mind retiring before 30. But I think it is best to put the cards on the table, so those who don't know how dangerous this can get have a chance to dip now."

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Bonus:

Reaction:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Brace

Grappling Strike

Quick Toss

Sweeping Attack

Trip Attack

OOC:

Donaar chuckles softly, "Grumph, grumph, I've heard they're reputation, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But this is too good a chance to pass up. You only live once. If you do nothing with it you are a failure. I'm still in. " He reaches inside his robes and pulls out some small items and puts them in an outside pocket. It always helps to be prepared he thinks.

FullBody.png.2c1f0c7c3e1f141366d7147f65b9262f.png

2 hours ago, KarDrago said:

Donaar chuckles softly, "Grumph, grumph, I've heard they're reputation, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But this is too good a chance to pass up. You only live once. If you do nothing with it you are a failure. I'm still in. " He reaches inside his robes and pulls out some small items and puts them in an outside pocket. It always helps to be prepared he thinks.

FullBody.png.2c1f0c7c3e1f141366d7147f65b9262f.png

You only live once, if you do nothing with your life you are a failure, so act.

Garth waits several more seconds to give anyone else time to walk out before proceeding "Ok, this is what I gathered, guys in Dragon are criminal outfit, size of it I don't know, but we might do some snooping before walking into Lion's Den, they thought to earn some quick cash by kidnapping the guy we're looking for. What they couldn't know was that Z kept his eye on him for a while because of a presumed connection with the second key. And once the gang kidnaps Volo's friend they show them who actually runs this town. And took prisoner from them."

"Now, that is good and bad, good because the numbers of guys in Dragon likely dwindled some, Z are not known for their forgiveness, and some are likely wounded and by fresh wounds and bruises we'll be able to recognize some of them. The bad news is that their ego is bruised and they will look for nice potential victims to establish themselves. And we look like it. It might be smart to catch one of them alive to question him although I doubt they know much."

Garth thinks before speaking "A more certain way would be that we draw attention of the Z saying that we have the second key and that we'd be ready to do business. Some of their scouts is likely still in Dragon keeping an eye on things. Of course, I have no intention of parting with my key so that's as far as my plan goes. It all depends on HOW they contact us, violence or diplomacy. So wiping the floor with Dragon outfit with ease would tilt our chances to diplomacy where we could BS our way, further."

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Bonus:

Reaction:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Brace

Grappling Strike

Quick Toss

Sweeping Attack

Trip Attack

OOC:

@Grudge and @KarDrago 

So are either of you going to roll a history check to see if you know where you are going? So far Eagleheart is lost, so it appears you only have the two points of interest to investigate to try and find a way to the Skewered Dragon

@Ziminar and @Taigains

and what about you two? are you still in this game?

• 2 weeks later...

Being new to the town unfortunately doesn't help you find where you need to go. So it looks like you are stuck with the points of interest that have been marked,

What are you going to do now. Approach the area roped off by the city guard or head to the purple shop?