Character Creation Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Colette said:

Are we using any of the variant skill rules in Guile? I was thinking of creating a character with Mediator's Mien, Friend of a Friend, Orator, and Diabolical Negotiator, who can instantly shift an enemy group from hostile to helpful.

FYI, my current build (not yet posted in full) has Mediator's Mien, the Silver Tongued racial ability (a watered down Diabolical Negotiator), though not Friend of a Friend (which is on my "to consider" list), and a pretty optimized Diplo check. I'm purposefully staying away from full-on Diplomancer since IMO it just forces the DM to houserule Diplomacy anyway (e.g. adopting one of the many Diplo variants that exist... and I now see it was addressed in another post just a bit further down).

For this PC, it's a tool in the arsenal with Bluff & Disguise more than the full focus.

@Saberfan Would you allow this optional rule that extends the notion of utility talent/utility progression to SoP / SoM?

2 hours ago, Taggerung559 said:

@MysteryNo1 slayer's spawn slayer archetype is compatible with its SoM focused "mercenary" archetype, so you could use the two together to have a spheres slayer with the spawn slayer abilities.

@Saberfan This works? Or do we need to take sphere archetypes only for paizo classes?

Can the Leadership Sphere Mystic Craftsmen talent craft a magic item using the skills and feats of my Leadership Sphere Mage cohort from Magic Cohort, and would it do so as I would, or as an allied PC, with the -2 penalty to the check if so?

Would followers making Profession checks to earn gold pieces when in a settlement with the Leadership Sphere Merchants talent benefit from my Vocation Sphere Industrious Worker talent and Entrepreneur talent? (So they would be rolling for an additional 50% every week, and rolling for platinum pieces, not gold pieces, as an example). The Merchants talent also states '"your followers collectively make Profession checks [emphasis mine] using your Diplomacy..." Is this one weekly check per type of follower talent (Merchants, Healers, Craftsmen, Alchemists, etc), or somehow otherwise calculated?

16 hours ago, Saberfan said:

The concept of firearms will vary depending on the world. For the purposes of firearm proficiency and the purchasing of firearms within the Nexus or more technologically advanced worlds, assume that Guns Everywhere is in effect. Different planes, however, may have varying levels of firearms or even none at all, so I'd recommend making purchases whenever the option becomes available.

I'm amenable to Custom Blasts being used, but those will need to be cleared with me in a similar manner to Spellcrafting or Techniquecrafting.

Those limitations on improving attitudes are a fairly good representation of how I handle things, even if they're not entirely one-to-one.

Does this mean that a single purchase of Mechanical Ranged Weaponry is equivalent to three purchases?

Does anyone who would gain the gunsmith class feature or the Gunsmithing feat gain gun training 1, or does that apply only to the actual gunslinger class?

Since you are using the limitations on influencing attitudes, does this mean that silver tongued, Diabolical Negotiator, and so on still need to invoke a motivation or give a suitable gift in order to shift attitude more than one step? Or do they bypass such a need?

Are any of the variant rules in chapter 1 of Legends of the Spheres, available as a free preview here, in play in this game? I am interested in all of them.

If you are allowing Spheres archetypes for Starfinder classes, is the envoy (cynosure) allowed? It is rather strong, since a 1-level dip grants "roll twice and take higher" on all d20 rolls for the character.

Edited by Colette (see edit history)

So, the anemic general drawback for casting traditions makes it so that taking slashing or piercing damage causes you to start bleeding for 1, plus 1 per 10 MSB (stacking with any other bleeding inflicted on you). It also removes bleeding immunity and makes you subject to bleeding if you weren't already. The duelist sphere's scar tissue talent reduces bleed damage taken by 1, plus 1 per 5 BAB. As written that's not immunity to bleeding, and you're still subject to bleeding, but even with a wizard's BAB progression scar tissue will always reduce the bleeding from the anemic drawback to 0 (unless there's also a separate bleed effect active you at the time).

I don't think I'll go for the combo either way, but what's your stance on the pairing?

1 hour ago, Djacob91 said:

You can use Strike Talents(such a Energy Strike and the other spheres' versions) with Vital Strike and the like but only if you have the Spell Attack feat. Otherwise, Energy Strike is a specific standard action that is not compatible with Vital Strike and the like.

Ok cool, thanks for the info! 😀

@Saberfan I have a question regarding one of the Reliquary Keeper (Occultist Archetype) class features needing clarification.

For the entry on Magical Talents, it notes that a magical talent is gained at every even level though does not specify what or where these should be selected from. Are these additional magical talents suppose to match what magic spheres are selected for the implements? Or does this mean that another magic sphere is selected which is different from those selected for the associated implements?

Edited by Master_Enceladus (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

@Saberfan I have a question regarding one of the Reliquary Keeper (Occultist Archetype) class features needing clarification.

For the entry on Magical Talents, it notes that a magical talent is gained at every even level though does not specify what or where these should be selected from. Are these additional magical talents suppose to match what magic spheres are selected for the implements? Or does this mean that another magic sphere is selected which is different from those selected for the associated implements?

I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't specify, you can just pick up any magic talent you want. Just so long as you remember to "buy" base spheres before specific talents.

On 12/29/2023 at 12:56 AM, Saberfan said:

The Leadership feat is banned, but class features or Spheres that grant it are not.

Is the Leadership Sphere allowed? I just want to make sure I understand properly.

Also, are the portals/doorways that the players can open limited in what can pass through them? For example, only person sized and what that person carry?

Edited by Rhallan (see edit history)

On 12/31/2023 at 12:01 PM, Taggerung559 said:

How's HP being determined after level 1? Take average? Always max? something else?

I believe this question is still open, and related to this, how do I calculate the hit points of my character's phantom please @Saberfan