Character Creation Discussion Thread

The prompt responses is actually quite helpful. I see also where I went wrong on calculating the ability score increase feature so I can see where that idea would be even worse than I was imagining it to be, despite any fantasies I might have about ridiculous character builds. I should rephrase that last question of mine: how does multi-classing work if you're playing a gestalt spheres character? Is it as simple as splitting off the levels or am I better off answering that only if it becomes necessary for whatever build I end up creating?

So far as I am aware, multiclassing in spheres works just like it always does. The only difference is that you only get the bonus talents for the Casting feature (from Spheres of Power classes like Hedgewitch or Invoker) the one time. I might be missing some things, but that should be the gist of it.

A multiclass character functions more or less the same in gestalt as in a normal build. I have a character who is a pure magus on one side and a reaper 2/armorist 7 on the other. As such they have all the abilities of a 9th level magus, those of a 2nd level reaper, and those of a 7th level armorist.

If the multiclassing gets particularly intricate (mostly with multiclassing on both sides) it can matter a bit more when you take certain levels, since with any given level you take the BAB/saves/skills per level/etc of whichever class has the best progression at that particular level. So as a completely theoretical example, if you're going wizard 1/fighter 8 on one side and sorcerer 1/brawler 8 on the other, taking the sorcerer and wizard level at the same time gets you a total BAB of +8 (since you have 8 levels with a full BAB character, and one level with only have progression BAB characters), whereas if you take the sorcerer and wizard levels at different points you wind up with a BAB of +9 (since every level has a full BAB class on at least one side).

15 minutes ago, Taggerung559 said:

So as a completely theoretical example, if you're going wizard 1/fighter 8 on one side and sorcerer 1/brawler 8 on the other, taking the sorcerer and wizard level at the same time gets you a total BAB of +8 (since you have 8 levels with a full BAB character, and one level with only have progression BAB characters), whereas if you take the sorcerer and wizard levels at different points you wind up with a BAB of +9 (since every level has a full BAB class on at least one side).

Wouldn't you have BAB +8 either way? Since you take the better progress of either side overall, not each level?

No, you take the better progress at an individual level. From the spheres gestalt guidelines:

Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics.

Which makes sense tbh. If you were naturally leveling up a gestalt character rather than building starting at a higher level it'd be a bit of a headache to have to go back and check all your previous levels and have to see how things average out, rather than just having to look at the two classes you're choosing at that moment.

Edited by Taggerung559 (see edit history)

See, to me, your method is more of a headache: You have to track exactly when/where in the level progression you take X level of Class Y to make sure you get the right result. Adding 2 sets of numbers and choosing the bigger one for each stat is very simple by comparison.

No, don't do it, less competition this way

Yes, you've still got plenty of time before the deadline.
There are lots of applications started already (see the Character Submissions tab), but it's impossible to say how many will be completed: sometimes it's almost all of them, sometimes just a handful.

Indeed. The advertisement is scheduled to close February 1st. The GM will probably pick people shortly thereafter. You have plenty of time to take a chance and make an app. metalorc3bp.gif.5a386c467b77af99bca2d4ee65ae137f.gif

Are feats and effects that improve Leadership (Leadership value, cohort level difference) applicable to Leadership spheres cohorts?

For example, if something would increase a Leadership score, would it treat Diplomacy ranks as higher by that or some value for the purposes of cohort HD, or the CR recruitable by Advanced Cohort?

I think I once knew the answer to this, but have forgotten...

If I gestalt spherecaster / non-spherecaster, can I take Advanced Magic Training on the basis of having a spherecaster class, then "apply" it to the non-spherecaster side to get an additional +CAM spell points on the basis of not having any spherecasting levels on that side?

Advanced magical training explicitly states the levels it affects don't count towards increasing your spell pool. I could maybe see it letting you get an extra CAM worth of spell points, but that's a bit up in the air.

15 hours ago, Laird Ichofox said:

See, to me, your method is more of a headache: You have to track exactly when/where in the level progression you take X level of Class Y to make sure you get the right result. Adding 2 sets of numbers and choosing the bigger one for each stat is very simple by comparison.

In some ways it is, but in others it’s more logical. I have seen people do the “gestalt by side” thing before but it tends to cause some head scratching around things like feats and prereqs.

The easiest way to think about it IMO is not to think about “sides” at all (hence the old “gestalt doesn’t have sides” mantra) and instead think of it just as playing overturned homebrew super-classes. Instead of Swashbuckler|Rogue you could easily just say “OK, I’m a Daring Outlaw - a full BAB, d10 class which also gives me Sneak Attack like a Rogue and Rogue Talents”.

It’s only if you multiclass quite a bit that it starts to get gnarly (though, admittedly, Spheres kinda encourages that).