OOC, Q&A, and FAQ

Lwmons

Hehe. Okay, question from me. What sort of relationship should characters have with the mobile game? The premise of this game seems to suggest that our human PCs play Digimon Go, but Go sees all types: from highly invested pros who seek out spots and rare encounters, to casual fans that just try to slowly improve their collection (Or in this case, Partner?) and a bunch of stuff in between.

(While it's a different game, Helldivers II is proving a live service can do some pretty interesting things with emergent narrative. I understand Wizards Unite tried to do that, and that was a Pkmn Go like. I could see a well made Digimon Go hooking players with a bit more storyline than Pokemon Go had: clear villains, arcs, stuff like that. But that's just a hypothetical. ^^)

(Also! FTR, while bouncing around my human concept, partner wise I'm probably looking at a Keramon. ^^ Hope that's okay and not an overused pick. Got a few other ideas, but that goofy smile and gangly arms... perfect partner material IMO! "I'm gonna teach 'em to play guitar!")

Do we actually start with any Digimodify cards? It says everyone has a deck of 10, but I'm not sure what the rules for actually creating them are.

Also, semi-relatedly, how will it work if we pick an evolutionary path that involves Jogress Evolution? That would presumably necessitate us having the relevant card.

Edited by Llyarden (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Hehe. Okay, question from me. What sort of relationship should characters have with the mobile game? The premise of this game seems to suggest that our human PCs play Digimon Go, but Go sees all types: from highly invested pros who seek out spots and rare encounters, to casual fans that just try to slowly improve their collection (Or in this case, Partner?) and a bunch of stuff in between.

(While it's a different game, Helldivers II is proving a live service can do some pretty interesting things with emergent narrative. I understand Wizards Unite tried to do that, and that was a Pkmn Go like. I could see a well made Digimon Go hooking players with a bit more storyline than Pokemon Go had: clear villains, arcs, stuff like that. But that's just a hypothetical. ^^)

(Also! FTR, while bouncing around my human concept, partner wise I'm probably looking at a Keramon. ^^ Hope that's okay and not an overused pick. Got a few other ideas, but that goofy smile and gangly arms... perfect partner material IMO! "I'm gonna teach 'em to play guitar!")

Your character's commitment to the game is entirely up to you. The first session will take place on the release date of the game in-universe, so they likely haven't built too strong of a relationship with the game right away. I don't want to give away the plot, but because this is Digimon, circumstances will very quickly change that kind of force the party's involvement. Nothing so drastic as being sucked into an alternate world like in Adventures, but significant enough that they can't ignore the game even as a casual player.

I'm not sure emergent narrative is quite the right word for what I have planned, I think it's too hard to apply in a context where the community that causes the narrative to emerge are all NPCs controlled by one person. I do have narrative plans for both the story of the video game, and the story that the community creates between themselves, though. And I'm excited to see how the PCs will interact with it.

Keramon is a solid choice. I don't think it's particularly overused, but even if it was I don't think that matters too much. As long as you make it your Keramon and not emulating a specific one, of course.

7 hours ago, Llyarden said:

Do we actually start with any Digimodify cards? It says everyone has a deck of 10, but I'm not sure what the rules for actually creating them are.

Also, semi-relatedly, how will it work if we pick an evolutionary path that involves Jogress Evolution? That would presumably necessitate us having the relevant card.

Sorry for the confusion, no one starts with Digimodify cards. You'll acquire them over the course of the game. Some scripted, some random.

As for Jogress evolution, what I'd recommend is choosing a line that doesn't require it by default, but keeps it available as an option. If there's a specific Jogress digivolution that you want to do, just mention it somewhere, and I'll make sure to be accommodating towards the process as the game goes on. As an example, if you wanted to make sure that your character ended up with Paildramon, rather than going V-mon>XV-mon>Paildramon, you could treat their "default" evolution line as V-mon>XV-mon>Brachimon, and I'll make sure you get a Stingmon to instead Jogress into Paildramon.

Is there a specific line you're thinking of? I'm sure we can discuss it and figure something out we both like.

Edited by Lwmons (see edit history)

Not particularly, although now that I've said that it would be hilarious to end up with GreatestCutemon as my...whatever stage that thing is. XD Probably not actually going to do that though.

EDIT: While I think about it, can we choose to have our digis in lower than Rookie form by default and have them evolve for battle?

Hmm been a while since I've messed with M&M but used to love it so this could be fun. Have like four different ideas for possible partners but gotta think up the human to decide what fits best. Thinking either the young genius type with maybe a funbeemon (cause the geniuses always get bugs) or maybe more of a serious, focused player with labramon, jazamon, or vorvomon.

11 hours ago, Llyarden said:

Not particularly, although now that I've said that it would be hilarious to end up with GreatestCutemon as my...whatever stage that thing is. XD Probably not actually going to do that though.

EDIT: While I think about it, can we choose to have our digis in lower than Rookie form by default and have them evolve for battle?

Based on how I'm doing this... Greatest Cutemon would be PL 20. Technically Mega but far and beyond. But all those component parts would eat up a lot of your Digideck. I'm all for it if that's what someone wants to do, but it won't be easy to get.

And yes, that's exactly what I was picturing in my head. They could be in Baby, In-Training, or Rookie stages at the whim of the player, but always enter battle as a Rookie.

2 hours ago, Clockwork Writer said:

Hmm been a while since I've messed with M&M but used to love it so this could be fun. Have like four different ideas for possible partners but gotta think up the human to decide what fits best. Thinking either the young genius type with maybe a funbeemon (cause the geniuses always get bugs) or maybe more of a serious, focused player with labramon, jazamon, or vorvomon.

Kid Genius with bugs are always a fun combo. Y'all are encouraged to go for character tropes if you feel like it, but don't feel restricted to them. We can have a small army of goggle-wearing leader types if we want.

I was originally considering Funbeemon myself, but I'm happy to swap to something else, I hadn't really nailed down much / any concept yet.

EDIT: Yeah okay I'm gonna go with something else, 'summoning a horde of itself' feels super annoying to stat in M&M.

EDIT 2: Oh, while I remember, who's going to be controlling our digimon in play (both mechanically and outside of combat)?

2 hours ago, Llyarden said:

I was originally considering Funbeemon myself, but I'm happy to swap to something else, I hadn't really nailed down much / any concept yet.

Honestly if someone else is doing one of my several ideas that helps me narrow things down. lol I could alternatively do a chess style thing for a brainy character. I also started debating doing something angelic maybe after glancing around through some digimon I didn't know about. If I do that the current idea is something like this:

Rookie: Most undecided point but maybe Tinkermon or Sistermon
Champion: Darcmon

Ultimate: Angewomon or ArkhaiAngemon

Mega: LovelyAngemon or Ophanimon

Oh, this is super exciting! I may not know much about M&M as a system, but I'm willing to figure things out to participate!

As for my character concept, I'm not too sure about the human side of things, but a Digimon line themed around stories or fables could be interesting to think on. Though the question then becomes what fable I could use...and depending on what fable I pick, I might use a Fakemon for the rookie? Nothing is set in stone though.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Llyarden said:

EDIT 2: Oh, while I remember, who's going to be controlling our digimon in play (both mechanically and outside of combat)?

This is something I was going to bring up once players were selected, because I had two ideas for how I wanted to do this but I wasn't settled on one yet. In combat you all control your own Digimon as normal, but I was debating how they would function RP wise. Either I was going to voice them all, or each player would play someone else's Digimon.

1 hour ago, MelodicAstrology said:

Oh, this is super exciting! I may not know much about M&M as a system, but I'm willing to figure things out to participate!

As for my character concept, I'm not too sure about the human side of things, but a Digimon line themed around stories or fables could be interesting to think on. Though the question then becomes what fable I could use...and depending on what fable I pick, I might use a Fakemon for the rookie? Nothing is set in stone though.

Not so much a fable, but one evo path I was potentially sitting on for an NPC was Tinkermon>Petermon>???>Captain Hookmon, or just Monmon>Petermon>Zamielmon> Fujinmon, both for the obvious Peter Pan imagery.

2 hours ago, Clockwork Writer said:

Honestly if someone else is doing one of my several ideas that helps me narrow things down. lol I could alternatively do a chess style thing for a brainy character. I also started debating doing something angelic maybe after glancing around through some digimon I didn't know about. If I do that the current idea is something like this:

Rookie: Most undecided point but maybe Tinkermon or Sistermon
Champion: Darcmon

Ultimate: Angewomon or ArkhaiAngemon

Mega: LovelyAngemon or Ophanimon

It's funny, the Chessmon line is one I was looking at a lot while trying to figure out some of the logistics of my PL system, because King Chessmon is weak compared to his contemporary Queen Chessmon, despite both being Mega level. The idea I came up with in my head to justify them being the same PL was to make King Chessmon a summoner, able to summon all the lower level members of the Chessmon line.

Angels are nice, too. Opahnimon especially has some fun alternates like Fallen Mode

Edited by Lwmons (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Lwmons said:

Not so much a fable, but one evo path I was potentially sitting on for an NPC was Tinkermon>Petermon>Hookmon, or just Monmon>Petermon>Zamielmon> Fujinmon, both for the obvious Peter Pan imagery.

Oh, Peter Pan is a neat choice and I agree, both lines do fit really well!

I could do something inspired by Little Red Riding Hood (as the Champion Digimon known as Fangmon exists, and it could be fun to see about making a line for it...), but I also want to see about maybe finding fables that aren't really well known, such as an Aesop's Fable or an old fairytale, and seeing about stitching something together that way!

Some examples of some fun thoughts that came to mind were a line with Spadamon (referencing Yvain, the Knight of the Lion or the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz) or a line with Swanmon (referencing The Wild Swans by Hans Christian Anderson).

Hehe. Tinkermon was on my 'maybe' list. For my part, I'm working on an alt line for Keramon: something a bit less 'final boss'. Currently thinking something like...

Keramon>Publimon>Sirenmon>?????

No clue on Mega. For now, trying to nail down my digidestined. Still, would that fit as a starting point?

Sorry if I missed this, but how old should our characters be? I was assuming kinda standard digimon protagonist kids/teenagers, but I couldn't actually find it written anywhere.

7 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Hehe. Tinkermon was on my 'maybe' list. For my part, I'm working on an alt line for Keramon: something a bit less 'final boss'. Currently thinking something like...

Keramon>Publimon>Sirenmon>?????

No clue on Mega. For now, trying to nail down my digidestined. Still, would that fit as a starting point?

I am a bit curious about the thematic link going on between the evolutions, but I don't have any immediate objections

4 hours ago, Llyarden said:

Sorry if I missed this, but how old should our characters be? I was assuming kinda standard digimon protagonist kids/teenagers, but I couldn't actually find it written anywhere.

No you didn't miss it, I don't think I covered it anywhere. I was picturing in my head the late teen to young adult range, as I've never been a huge fan of child protagonists in ttrpgs, but I'm fine with just about any age so long as they can work with others, can clearly communicate their thoughts, and don't try and leverage any kind of age discrepancy between the party