OOC, Q&A, and FAQ

Lwmons

12 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

You know, I didn't think to ask... Would Appmon be valid for this? They don't fall into normal digivolution lines, but for something like this, I could see them getting incorporated as 'proper' Digimon

I'm not keen on them, but if you can find a way to fit them into a normal evo line I'm willing to accept it

12 hours ago, Clockwork Writer said:

Ooh also other question just occurred to me while rereading the stuff on Digimodify and then capturing. Do Jorgress digivolution mess with your norm digivolution? Like if I go the angel route but managed to capture a LadyDevimon and then use that for a Mastemon Jorgress does that become the only option for their mega form then or can they still do their non-jorgress megaform and have that one only trigger when they use the LadyDevimon card?

So Armor, Dark, and Jogress Digivolving should all be considered separate from the "main" evolution line. If your normal line, for example, is Salamon>Gatomon>Angewomon>Ophanimon, you can diverge from there. With a LadyDevimon card, Angewomon can become Mastemon as you said. With the Digi-egg of Kindness, Gatomon can become Opossummon, who can then seperately become Cho-Hokkaimon. Maybe Gatomon also Dark-Digivolves into AxeKnightmon under potent circumstances.

And once you've unlocked any of these branches for the first time(technically including Dark Digivolving, though your partner might not like you evoking that), you can improve their stats as if they were any other part of the Digimon's line.

Long story short, Mastemon(or another Mega-level Jogress digimon), wouldn't replace your baseline mega.

11 hours ago, Smirk said:

Oh yea, that reminds me...

What is a Jogress evolution? I read the thing but if I scratch my head anymore my scalp is gonna get raw.

As mentioned, it's one of the many flavors of fusion evolutions that have been used across the franchise. There's DNA Digivolution, Jogress Digivolution, DiriXros, DigiFuse, and probably some others. They are technically all distinct, though it's not entirely clear how, and for our purposes they're all the same thing. I just chose to use the term Jogress for... Reasons. I'm honestly not sure why I chose that over DNA.

4 hours ago, Lwmons said:

I'm not keen on them, but if you can find a way to fit them into a normal evo line I'm willing to accept it

I'm not super invested, so if you're skeptical feel free to shoot it down. I was looking at a few of the Ultimate level Appmon. Feel like they're a good transition step between Publimon and a regular Mega.

Publimon - Sateramon - Galacticmon.

Publimon - Entermon - Crusadermon/Rafflesimon - (Quantumon? Might fit as a fusion/Crest form in this line)

Publimon - Fakemon - Ravemon

Would luck control work as a "power of friendship" type power, flavoured as something like letting your digimon reroll a check in a dire situation or by giving them words of inspiration. Luck re rolls can be pretty strong, at least with high ranks of luck so I'd want to make sure it was ok to have before considering using it.

14 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

I'm not super invested, so if you're skeptical feel free to shoot it down. I was looking at a few of the Ultimate level Appmon. Feel like they're a good transition step between Publimon and a regular Mega.

Publimon - Sateramon - Galacticmon.

Publimon - Entermon - Crusadermon/Rafflesimon - (Quantumon? Might fit as a fusion/Crest form in this line)

Publimon - Fakemon - Ravemon

Those could definitely work if that's the route you want to go. The Appmon Standard>Super>Ultimate>God translates surprisingly well to Rookie>Champion>Ultimate>Mega.

13 hours ago, Seandiggersby said:

Would luck control work as a "power of friendship" type power, flavoured as something like letting your digimon reroll a check in a dire situation or by giving them words of inspiration. Luck re rolls can be pretty strong, at least with high ranks of luck so I'd want to make sure it was ok to have before considering using it.

Yeah, Luck would definitely be a great way to represent that, perhaps with an added flaw that it's only able to work on your partner Digimon and not just any allied Digimon. Though, Session 1 is going to be everyone meeting their partners for the first time, you wouldn't have been able to build up a rapport necessary for a power of friendship kind of thing. Definitely something you can take after the initial dynamic has been established, though not right from the get-go

I've actually been brainstorming a kind of "cheer" array along similar lines. The ideas I had so far was one kind of "go all out" type that boosts damage and gives power attack, an opposite "stay focused" type to give an accuracy boost along with accurate attack, a kind of "come save me!" call to give/boost movement and deflection so the partner could rush over to intercept attacks, and then perhaps a sort of "tough it out" for like a single per combat heal with the drawback temporary flaw so it's basically encouraging them to push past the injury but they'll feel it again once the moment has passed.

12 hours ago, Lwmons said:

Yeah, Luck would definitely be a great way to represent that, perhaps with an added flaw that it's only able to work on your partner Digimon and not just any allied Digimon. Though, Session 1 is going to be everyone meeting their partners for the first time, you wouldn't have been able to build up a rapport necessary for a power of friendship kind of thing. Definitely something you can take after the initial dynamic has been established, though not right from the get-go

Ye I was thinking the exact same thing about limiting it to just my partner and waiting until my character builds a bond with her digimon to take it, so I guess great minds think alike.

Edit: Also I'm pretty much done with my human character but for her digimon partner I'm torn between either my original idea of the standard Gaomon line,

Dodomon -> Wanyamon -> Gaomon -> Gaogamon -> MachGaogamon -> MirageGaogamon

or something like,

Fusamon -> Bowmon -> Loogamon -> Garurumon -> MachGoagamon -> either ZeedGarurumon or MirageGaogamon with a potential darkdigivolution of Garurumon -> helloogarmon if there was ever a point in the story were it was appropriate.

Obviously both have a wolf/dog theme and while I like the cohessiveness of the former the latter is a bit more unique. So I guess I'm wondering if you feel like one line would work better than the other.

Edited by Seandiggersby (see edit history)

I gotta say, you all have some great ideas. If reading the OOC is this enjoyable, I can't wait for the actual game!

EDIT: Do we have a deadline for character creation? My first draft of Kotemon is ready but I haven't finalized it yet.

EDIT 2: Also, as a fun note, I have been playing a Poke'mon Emerald ROM hack that replaces the pokemon with digimon and I captured a digimon that I thought was part of the Gatomon line and, happy surprise, it digivolved into Kotemon!!!

Edited by Smirk (see edit history)

On 3/11/2024 at 5:57 PM, Lwmons said:

It's funny, I was looking at Sistermon just earlier today and wondering how I would want to do them.

The Awakened forms and the base forms are the same level, so you couldn't go from Sistermon Blanc to Sistermon (Blanc) Awakened because they're both Rookie level.

What I'd suggest is using the Holding Back advantage to represent a more powered up form, possibly with different criteria to trigger, or I could add Awakening as a Digimodify card for the Sistermon line, giving a power boost equivalent to a Digivolution.

If it is not too much of a hassle, I am partial to the latter and treating Awakening like X-Antibody from Digivolution and Advancement.

Some special Digivolutions that don't always change a Digimon's level, such as a Jogress Digivoluiton from Mega to Mega, or Agumon with the X-Antibody still being Rookie level. These special forms still gain 2 PL as though they were a Digivolution, and additionally, all Jogress Digivolutions gain an additional +1 PL from all component Digimon beyond the first.

@Clockwork Writer are you starting with a different Rookie?

Oh fun! Also seconded, do we have a character deadline?

As well, I've been working on an expansion of my Digimon line, since I had a possible idea on what the rookie could be - I was wondering if the line I have now would make sense:

YukimiBotamon -> Xiaomon -> Madomon  ->  Swanmon ->  MagnaAngemon -> Cendrillmon

Potentially, if the in-training and rookie do not fit with the rest of the line, Xiaomon and Madomon could be swapped into Lunamon, Terriermon or Renamon, depending on which one would feel the most cohesive with the line - or any other Rookie that could potentially fit.

12 hours ago, Solomon Black said:

@Lwmons

Hullo I have a setting question: what are non-AR video games like in the setting?

And would being a pro-gamer at them need anything other then Expertise?

Fully realized AR technology has only been around for a few years in-universe, and currently the entertainment industry is kind of in a transitional period to full AR gaming, though a lot of games have AR ports(by which I mean they have screens in AR but usually still require a controller or your phone to physically play). Digimon GO! is the first 100% AR game on the market, but that being said, it's still going to be viewed as a mostly casual game, same as how Pokemon games are seen IRL.

There's still full gaming markets for more hardcore games, shooters, MMOs, etc. Is there a specific type of game you're looking for?

Generally Expertise should be able to do the heavy lifting. Maybe Dexterity for quick reaction times. Though as games become more common in AR space, you might need other skills to represent the actual skill needed in the games.

9 hours ago, Seandiggersby said:

Ye I was thinking the exact same thing about limiting it to just my partner and waiting until my character builds a bond with her digimon to take it, so I guess great minds think alike.

Edit: Also I'm pretty much done with my human character but for her digimon partner I'm torn between either my original idea of the standard Gaomon line,

Dodomon -> Wanyamon -> Gaomon -> Gaogamon -> MachGaogamon -> MirageGaogamon

or something like,

Fusamon -> Bowmon -> Loogamon -> Garurumon -> MachGoagamon -> either ZeedGarurumon or MirageGaogamon with a potential darkdigivolution of Garurumon -> helloogarmon if there was ever a point in the story were it was appropriate.

Obviously both have a wolf/dog theme and while I like the cohessiveness of the former the latter is a bit more unique. So I guess I'm wondering if you feel like one line would work better than the other.

I think you should go with whichever one you like more. I think both lines are fine, as long as they have a unified theming that you enjoy. The only comment I would have at this point is to not pre-emptively plan a dark-digivolution, as it's not really something the Digidestined has control over.

3 hours ago, Smirk said:

I gotta say, you all have some great ideas. If reading the OOC is this enjoyable, I can't wait for the actual game!

EDIT: Do we have a deadline for character creation? My first draft of Kotemon is ready but I haven't finalized it yet.

EDIT 2: Also, as a fun note, I have been playing a Poke'mon Emerald ROM hack that replaces the pokemon with digimon and I captured a digimon that I thought was part of the Gatomon line and, happy surprise, it digivolved into Kotemon!!!

The dealine is March 26th, though I'll likely give people a couple days extra to finalize characters if people are still actively working on theirs.

1 hour ago, Passione said:

If it is not too much of a hassle, I am partial to the latter and treating Awakening like X-Antibody from Digivolution and Advancement.

Some special Digivolutions that don't always change a Digimon's level, such as a Jogress Digivoluiton from Mega to Mega, or Agumon with the X-Antibody still being Rookie level. These special forms still gain 2 PL as though they were a Digivolution, and additionally, all Jogress Digivolutions gain an additional +1 PL from all component Digimon beyond the first.

In that case, Awakening would be a Digimodify card, same as how X-Antibody works. A lot of cards will be obtained randomly, but I can make sure that you get one.

1 hour ago, Passione said:

Yeah I found Luxmon which is specifically a little angel rookie so I went with that for my angel line so have at the sisters.

That said looks like someone else is doing something similar just with a different rookie so now debating going with one of my other ideas. I had considered something like Tinkmon to Minervamon line but could find a good way to do the spots in between. Kinkakumon kind of works for the champion level but having trouble finding one I like for the ultimate that feels like it fits.

@Lwmons

Thanks, I don't have a specific game genre just yet, but I would write and spend points differently if say everything was Sword Art Online VR full dives.

@Clockwork Writer

Oops this is me... umm perhaps interest you Angemon or Kirkland Signature Angemon? I do have some reasons for selecting Darcmon beyond 'champion level lady angel' and its the Joan of Arc inspiration in her design which is reflected in Isabella's charismatic aspects. I've got this idea in my head that Isa's partner Baku has some confidence issues and this evolution represents them wanting to become more like their partner.

Umm but if you're real deadset on the lady angelmons I can use Fairymon connecting through a dream theme and assuming she can be treated as a Champion.

It's fine. I had had a few different ideas and seeing what other folks are doing does often help me eliminate some and make up my mind. Honestly was initially a bit bummed just by the timing of seeing your stuff go up right after I had kind of settled on the idea enough to get Luxmon statted up but I've still got like five other partners in mind.

Edit: Actually debating right now doing something fairy focused from Tinkermon like Tinkermon -> Hudiemon -> Lilymon maybe? Alternatively I'm debating how I feel about Tinkermon -> Kinkakumon -> Sanzomon -> Minervamon or just going back to one of the first few ideas I had of Jazmon, Vorvomon, or Labramon.

Edited by Clockwork Writer (see edit history)

I hope I'm not too late in posting interest for this (understandable if so), but I've been stewing over an idea for a bit now and it's starting to come together. I'm thinking that the Digidestined is a nascent NEET who is trying to use their love of Digimon and the re-release of Digimon GO! as one last try to face the outside world.

For their Digimon, I'm thinking of using Bacomon (or Bakomon, depending on where you look) as the Rookie, with these as the primary and secondary digivolution lines:

Bacomon -> Nohemon -> Ghilliedhumon -> Puppetmon

Bacomon -> Mimicmon -> Digitamamon -> Devitamamon

Would any of that make sense? I can put together the sheets in the next few days, most likely.