OOC Discussions

Sellsword

Sorry for the delay everyone, yesterday didn't work out at all like I hoped it would. I also took some time to think through how I want to run this last part of the module--there are definitely some things that I don't 100% like about certain decisions the author made. I'm making some changes here and there, but also want to maintain the tone/theme that the author had in mind.

I'm not the kind of DM that usually uses traps like that, but it definitely sets the tone for what to expect in Shraevyn's Tomb! Pbp isn't the ideal platform for discussing plans, especially since not everyone can post every day, so I'll only move the game forward when I have a clear idea what's going on and the majority of the party has chimed in. I'm not in a rush, but also don't want to go three days between IC posts. You guys have been really great about IC conversations and planning so far, so I don't have any worries.

Just a heads up--I am out of town the week of 3/25, heading to Death Valley for a family vacation. I'll definitely be around, but I wouldn't expect as many IC posts that week. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Sellsword said:

As soon as the door beings moving, you hear an audible click. Before anyone has time to react to this, there is a powerful explosion. Gouts of flame erupt in a ball-shaped mass that completely engulfs Kordannaghlan, singeing exposed skin and hair as the gnome tumbles to the ground.

OOC: Damage from the fire trap was significant, 11 damage total. Kord failed his saving throw.

Aaand that's why we took a look today. Sorry Kord, I'll get you patched up.

No worries about the delay; you've been really on top of things since we started, I think you can afford some leeway. Enjoy Death Valley!

not a problem - been a while since i played a thief -- and figured the big traps would be on the entrance area; i could've/should've posted precautions

will try to remember to do so in future

-

so, just empty space?

Just an empty space with a taunting plaque, yep.

Assuming no one does anything, I'll progress the game to the next morning with the plan to attempt to enter the tomb then. Will get that post up ASAP today.

5 minutes ago, Sellsword said:

Just an empty space with a taunting plaque, yep.

Assuming no one does anything, I'll progress the game to the next morning with the plan to attempt to enter the tomb then. Will get that post up ASAP today.

I will include that fireball trap in my post for the next morning.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:29 PM, stonedzep said:

"a mirrored view of the end of the road" don't ask me why, but I think this might lead us to the answer

That could just be the letter b, if the end of the road is d.

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

@stonedzep is a "mirrored view of the end of the road" just the beginning?

You look in a mirror and you see what is behind you and what is behind you is the road that led you there to that point in front of the mirror. I know this all sounds "circular" in conversation, but hear me out a bit as I try to cobble together a coherent thought.

These two friends somehow became enemies, but they still had the same end goals, and that sounds a little like "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". So if these two friends that are now enemies look into a mirror and see the road that brought them to that point in time ... would they not see looking into the mirror where they came from and that they were once friends before arriving to that moment in time?

Would the mirror reveal to them their "past" and since the mirror is in front of them, if you wanted to look at time in a linear fashion, would it not also represent their "future" as friends again. I know it is a huge stretch of metaphors and feels like a Frankenstein idea, but I think there is something there. I am not sure if this was the intent of the riddle, but I feel it might be a good starting point to work our way to a real answer.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, stonedzep said:

@rauhric @Lord Foul both solid ideas, another thing I'm thinking is: whatever our answer will be, should that be a single word or a line of thought?

We just don't know, but the way it has been presented to us I think lends itself more to rauhric's idea than mine, which is a bit abstract.

I'd say let's try Theo's theo-ry and see what happens!

19 minutes ago, Sellsword said:

I will say that the answer is not super specific--don't stress over one word vs. a phrase, it's the general idea.

thanks, we were about to slip into the Rabbit Hole😂

Edited by stonedzep (see edit history)

I am just going to cherry-pick from this statement:

A mirrored view of the end of the road.

The sheath called for its sword,

Wizardly energy withdrew to where it was stored.

Together they gazed at the mighty door,

And their fury for one another

burned no more.

Now honor-bound and steadfast,

An oath sworn to last.

The bond of friendship reborn

Still playing with my idea of "the mirror" being some metaphor for "time and life" ... these two friends turned enemies put down their weapons, look ahead to the mirrored door in front of them and see their future as a reflection of their past and realize that they are enemies no more but friends once again united in their original common goal of defeating evil (the original purpose that brought them together as friends) and swear an oath to continue walking down that road ahead of them in the original fight against evil, thereby renewing their original oaths of friendship once again.

It is all circular in my head: I'm a dog that loves to chase his tale in another life.

As for an answer to the question of "What did both realize that caused them to cease attacking one another?" I am not sure I'm capable of condensing an answer that isn't too wordy. My logic tends to run in circles until it gets to a point. But I think maybe something like "These two individuals looked to the road ahead and saw that they are united in a common goal of fighting evil on their individual roads of life. They are mirrored reflections of each other's goals, which is why they became friends in the first place, and will be once again."

Ok, you have a point here. Then following the events, maybe trying to answer these questions can help us get to the solution:

1) what did make the two enemies?

2) what did make the two reunite?