Out of Character: The Barge

Gris

There are five boats - the barge, two in front and two behind.

And ... I don't really do battle maps. I know it's an important visual and immersion aid for many players, but I just can't seem to make anything even remotely useful. My skills are in language, not drawing or cartography.

If you need better input to decide actions, ask for clarification. The drow ships are long and sleek, but substantially smaller than the barge. You have numbers on them (20 slaves, 6 dwarves, 3 officers against 8 drow and 16 brutes), but they are individually stronger (than the slaves, at least). So it's 2 drow and 4 brutes to a boat.

You don't need the width - you're fighing at the aft of the ship, any knock-back is going to deposit them in the water. Unless they tumble onto the narrow prow of their own boat, and stay there rather than tumble back off, and again into the water. Not likely.

Regardless, the barge is 15' wide at it's widest point - which, admittedly, is most of it's length. It's a barge, after all, not a longboat.

While we are at the beginning, and considering we were all slaves on the same boat, how about we get our characters to know each other better? I mean, they weren't on a cruise, but talking to someone at the same standing as you is great to deal with your own situation.

I propose we post what our characters would share, and then how they would react to each other's. Since I'm proposing, I'll start sharing.

Aria is a blond wood elf. She has a defeated gaze that doesn't come naturally. She must have suffered a very deep emotional damage. She doesn't talk about it specifically, but might let slip circumstances around it. You might have heard about the woods age grew up at, the current conflict between elves and orcs, and her attempt to solve it. She might have let a hint of a pregnancy, but nothing about the child. Looking into her eyes, you could see a dying flame with no hope.

pete2.jpeg.63deae77e7cdfdeeeaf44d0bb3e5e195.jpegMs Blueblood answers the roll call as 'Pete'' which seems a bit weird for a womans name. She has nicely inked tattoo's of sea creatures on her arms. 'Pete' arrived the same day the existing slave whip handler died under suspicious circumstances. She likes the whip, and although a harsh task master, Pete is also soft and kind when she wants to be... flirty even. Although those sailing as oarsmen long enough know she is most dangerous when she flirts.. She kissed a slave who thought he could be a tough guy and undermine her... and he died of a severe heart attack with sparks of lightning arcing out of his ears. He wasn't a very nice guy...

Over time she revealed her story as the daughter of a notorious pirate Captain Blueblood... and made a real effort to look after the oarsmen slaves... in addition that is to being a hard taskmaster. Ms. Blueblood made an effort to get to know everyone over the journey... not whipping them too hard... and sometimes just the sound of the *crack* of the whip was motivation enough.

She would share embellished tales on the high seas with her pirate father and some of their adventures over the course of the voyage... and listen to the stories of others. Newcomers are warned of her 'kiss' of death, so most people give her respect, and in return Ms.Blueblood is a kind and gracious whip handler...

Victor is a slave who seems resigned to his fate. He is full of scars, more scars than a whip can account for. Victor has seen many battles and come out the other side, if he was a soldier or mercenary, he doesn't speak of it. Occasionally when another slave wants to assert dominance, the large half orc becomes the target, up to the point that the beats them to a pulp. But Victor does not throw his weight around, he does not go out of his way to intimidate or threaten any of the slaves and tends to mind his own business but he also will not be threatened by another slave. He does what needs to be done, his eyes are always open, and he is always paying attention, perhaps for the right moment?

9 hours ago, Coruja said:

@LDDragon I might be wrong, but I don't think you got a bow at the moment.

6 hours ago, Unkabear said:

Yes, unless I missed the premise, we start with nothing, you can grab a belaying pin as a club if you wish, but that is your weapon of choice.

Unless she is not a slave.

I am the only one from the previous campaign, and am continuing the story from there. Kelia walked onto the boat with the two other characters from the last campaign, but they got shot by the drow, and sadly died. So Kelia is not one of the slaves, but is in the area, and still has her equipment. I double checked with Acromos, but that was through private messages, and did not show up here.

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

Sinwen, the bard

She has been singing, telling stories and generally tried her best to entertain the others to lift their spirits while they were in captivity. This may have bred a sense of familiarity, but you don't really know anything about her, except that she has been asking a lot of questions and that she doesn't seem to be cowed into submission my her status a s a slave.

5 hours ago, Unkabear said:

Ah, I figured it may be something like that.

So unless I missed my mark, we have

1. A Rogue
  2. Another Rogue
  3. A Bard
  4. A Barbarian
  5. A Ranger
  6. A Monk

Does this seem correct? Quite an interesting party.

Eldritch Knight here... Fighter

She's a slave... just not chained up... she's the slave who does the slave whipping / motivation to row at full speed when required.

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

Eldritch Knight here... Fighter

She's a slave... just not chained up... she's the slave who does the slave whipping / motivation to row at full speed when required.

ah, I read Pirate Rogue & Swashbuckler, but did not read the class underneath.

Edited by Unkabear (see edit history)