Chapter Eight: Castle in the Clouds

codexgigas

image.png.4e5d5a99c665d79a45fd0cf2a3559d5e.pngAlura Sajon LG Human Wizard [8]
HP 45 | AC 13/16 | Init +3 | Perception 19 | Investigation 23

Alura whispers again to Calista, "Negotiate this for us." Alura moves to the back and places a calming hand on Aubryn's sword hand. It is her way of letting her know that Calista will try to handle this encounter. Since their cover in blown direct combat might not be the best tactic here. This Knight of Neraka is already aware of the companions and is ready to fight; there is no advantage for the companions. This room seems to be his ground and moving forward seems ill advised at the moment.

Alura is looking for an advantage that can be gained here. Maybe that comes outside this room.

OoC

Alura is going to look outside the room to see if there is something to use to their advantage. Passive Perception 19 and Investigation 23.

@Neopopulas I trust you to stall this encounter and find out how we can not get into a direct fight at the moment. See if he wants something from us or maybe there is something we can help him out with. Either way, there must be something he wants. Like the guys upstairs taken care of, maybe? I don't know I'm just think there has to be something else other than a straight brawl.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Palast, 31st of Gildember, Morning

Moon Magic

White Robes receive a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls and spell save DCs.

Solinari (17+1)--High Sanction, 7 days to Waning
Lunitari (17+1)--Waning, 1 days to Waning
Nuitari (5)--Waxing, 2 days to High Sanction

image.png.5eb26f8fa794306575e73602f8db0779.pngThe Knight of the Thorn smiles coldly at you. The sparks continue to fly around his fingers. From the mirror, Azbara Jos speaks, "Don't do anything rash, Modar." Modar, the Knight of the Thorn cuts him off with a gesture of his hand.

"I can handle this, Azbara," Modar says. "You take care of your own mission. The Conclave must not find out about our partnership. If you think Dalamar suspects something, remove him from the board." Modar dismisses the enchantment on the mirror, causing it to go blank.

As the two magic-users speak, Alura inspects the chamber. While she is no expert in such things, she recognizes the pattern in the horse skulls as one that sorcerers use to enhance the flow of primal magic in an area. She and Callista both know that Nuitari has commanded his Black Robes to eliminate sorcerers who will not relinquish their magic and study wizardry. The fact that Azbara Jos is cooperating with a sorcerer is highly unusual.

"Now, this is terribly rude. Here you are threatening me, and I don't even know your names. Doesn't your Measure require you to extend the courtesy due a fellow knight to me, Lady Knight? I am Sir Rath Modar, Knight of the Thorn," he chuckles. "As to the location of the treasure hoard, that is a simple matter. It is in the vault below our feet. Much good that information will do you, as I doubt Glazhael the Cloudchaser will surrender the hoard. He's become quite attached to it. I suspect he will struggle to hand it over to the Dark Queen."

"Now," he says, his voice cold, "give me one good reason why I shouldn't sound an alarm. Rezmir can't like you poking about."

Tabletop

You are in Area 12.

Map

image.png.53f5e6542d89e735ef00ffb2c0981c53.png

spacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 54/54
Str -1 | Dex +1 | Con +3 | Int +7 | Wis +2 | Cha +0

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]
Magic Missile, Burning Hands

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthern Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]
Animate Dead, Fireball, Slow, Counterspell, Summon Shadowspawn

Level 4 [▣ ▢]
Blight, Wall of Fire, Conjure Minor Elementals

"Maybe.." her hand drifts down to the mask in her bag, clearly amused by something. "I could say that, were you to sound the alarm, it would lead to violence and then someone here, maybe you, might die. But i don't think we need to threaten each other. I think we can come to some sort of agreement, don't you? Tell me what you need from us for this to work. If there isn't anything that could convince you.. well..."

She steps back just a little so she is outside the door itself, her zombies close in to stand between her and Modar "That would be unfortunate.."

Readied Action: Counterspell if Modar decides to cast anything.

Mechanics

Attacks Actions
Attack Target To-Hit Damage Effects

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png  

Zombie A

HP: 30
AC: 8
Attack: +7
Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

Alura whispers to her other companions, Aubryn and Niles, "That room is his power source, do not fight him in there." Alura makes sure they understand her with a questioning nod. She will keep her distance from the rooms entrance so that she can drop a spell at a moments notice. Not wanting to waste this opportunity with someone who knows so much she casts Detect Thoughts of the dark sorcerer.

OoC

Alura is keeping the villain in sight and casting Detect Thoughts on him.

@Neopopulas That's good. Keep him talking. If it comes to an attack I think I will drop an Evard's Black Tentacles in there.

Moon Magic

image.png.5eb26f8fa794306575e73602f8db0779.pngRath Modar gives Callista a suspicious look. "I know Azbara is particularly accommodating for a servant of Nuitari. How do I know you won't follow your moon god's orders and kill me for daring to practice magic without his permission?" the sorcerer asks. "As for what I want... I want Takhisis' return. Without her divine leadership, the Knights of Neraka have lost our way. The glory days of Ariakan are well behind us. The Vision and the Blood Oath lost all meaning without Takhisis, and my fellow knights had the audacity to forsake her worship! She created us! She gave us meaning!"

He stares directly at Aubryn. "I don't think you're going to help with that. You'll spout some noble drivel about sacrifice and balance and how Paladine sacrificed himself to save us all. But don't you want him back? Wouldn't you do anything to help him ascend to the Dome of Creation again? Can you really blame me for being loyal to my goddess?"

Tabletop

You are in Area 12.

Map

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthern Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 [▣ ▢]

"My purpose is the advancement of magic itself. My goal is the betterment of all studies" she trails off a little there with implication "We don't need to be all so.. antagonistic.."

Readied Action: Counterspell if Modar decides to cast anything.

Mechanics

Attacks Actions

Zombie A

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

Alura approaches Callista and nods to her companions, Aubryn and Niles, and says to their dark wizard "How goes the negotiations?" She says it loud enough for the dark sorcerer to overhear them. She hopes her Detect Thoughts spell will pick up something useful about circumventing this encounter. "Is he going to surrender yet?" She is just bantering with Callista knowing that this will have to escalate to combat soon.

OoC

Alura cast Detect Thoughts on the dark sorcerer already and so she is just going to be scanning his surface thoughts.

She will also cast Mage Hand to have that up so she can shove as a Bonus Action.

@Neopopulas I suspect he is wait to counter our spells first, so we might as well hit him with low spell levels first instead of wasting a high level that he can probably Dispel or Counter.

Moon Magic

image.png.5eb26f8fa794306575e73602f8db0779.pngAs Alura speaks to Callista, Rath Modar speaks a word of command and makes an arcane gesture with his hands. While the sorcerer hopes the two wizards are distracted, Callista quickly counterspells Modar's spell, causing it to fail.

Modar growls in frustration. "Get them, my pretties!" he shouts, as the gargoyles in the four corners come to life. Before you can react, they attack!

The first two gargoyles attack one of the zombies. They claw and bite it, ripping rotting flesh away from its corpse. The third gargoyle attacks another zombie, again stripping flesh from bone. The fourth gargoyle attacks Aubryn, but its stone teeth and claws slide harmlessly off her armor.

Rath Modar raises his staff and then slams it down into the ground. A ring of fire one foot thick and twenty feet wide springs up around him, rising all the way to the ceiling of the room.

Tabletop

You are in Area 12.

Callista successfully counterspells Rath Modar's teleport spell.

We are in combat. The full party is up.

The red circle is Rath Modar's wall of fire spell. Any character who comes within 10 feet of the wall must make a DC 15 Dexterity Save.

Map

Roll20 Link

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Name
Callista Counterspell
1d20+5 12

Alura tells her companions, "Take them down now." She speaks the words of power and conjures chaotic magic on the ring of fire. Her Mischievous spell will try the patience of the dark sorcerer.

[Edit] "Call off your guards and drop your fire spell Modar, please ... for me."

OoC

Alura is going to cast Nathair's Mischief right on the Ring of Fire, which does the following:

[1] The smell of apple pie fills the air, and each creature in the cube must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become charmed by you until the start of your next turn. 

I assume if he fails his saving throw and is charmed until the start of the next turn he will not attack this round.

[Edit] She will ask him to drop his fire wall using her Persuasion +1 with a 15 Portent for a total of 16 Persuasion.

Nathair's Mischief
Source: Fizban's Treasury of Dragons

2nd-level Illusion

Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60ft
Components: S, M (a piece of crust from an apple pie)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You fill a 20-foot cube you can see within range with fey and draconic magic. Roll on the Mischievous Surge table to determine the magical effect produced, and roll again at the start of each of your turns until the spell ends. You can move the cube up to 10 feet before you roll.

1d4

[1] The smell of apple pie fills the air, and each creature in the cube must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become charmed by you until the start of your next turn.

[2] Bouquets of flowers appear all around, and each creature in the cube must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or be blinded until the start of your next turn as the flowers spray water in their faces.

[3] Each creature in the cube must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or begin giggling until the start of your next turn. A giggling creature is incapacitated and uses all its movement to move in a random direction.

[4] Drops of molasses appear and hover in the cube, turning it into difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

Name
Round 1: Nathair's Mischief spell effect
1d4 1

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▢ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthen Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▢ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 [▣ ▢]

As she finishes her counterspell she looks to Alura and seems.. amused perhaps, certainly not surprised. It was no doubt a somewhat forgone conclusion to start with.

Though she doesn't like being so close to the action, the zombies between her and the enemy give her some confidence, she directs them first. The two in front of her move to attack their respective gargoyles, aiming to at least occupy their attention while the one to her left does the same, assisting Aubyrn.

Confident that they can at least buy her a few moments she focuses on the sorcerer in front of her, intoning the ancient words of her spell, heard and forgotten by those around her and lifts her hand, as she lifts dust appears and sheds from her hand and in response, an enormous mirror of her hand made from dust and debris rises against Modar, reaching and grasping to capture him.

Mechanics

Attacks Actions

Casting: Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
• Strength saving throw vs 16
• On fail, take 2d6 damage and is Restrained.

Zombie A

HP: 14/30
Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

HP: 16/30
Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

HP: 30/30
Damage:
1d6+1

Name
Potential Damage
2d6 1,6
Zombie A (Attack/Damage)
13; 6
1d20+7; 1d6+1 [6]; [6,5]
Zombie B (Attack/Damage)
13; 4
1d20+7; 1d6+1 [6]; [6,3]
Zombie C (Attack/Damage)
13; 7
1d20+7; 1d6+1 [6]; [6,6]

tumblr_pai35mapsx1s1nfszo1_1280.jpgAubryn Grace

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 105/105 | Passive Perception: 14 | Init: +0

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 2/3 | Commanding Rally: 1/3 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Skills | Saves | Features

Aubryn scowls at Rath Modar's explanation and justification. As violence erupts around her, she says, "I am Aubryn Grace, Knight of the Crown and here to stop you. And despite your failed logic, I do not want Paladine back if it means the rise of your vile goddess as well. Let them both sleep."

Turning her attention, she knows the gargoyles are a danger to the spellcasters and she has to protect them. She says quickly, "Cole, I will protect Alura and Callista. Harry Rath!"

She focuses on the nearest gargoyle, looking to end its threat. As one attacks the nearest zombie, though, she lashes out quickly with her sword, looking to give it a harsh lesson when you ignore a knight. She slashes at it twice injuring it in some fashion. Looking back to Cole, she says, "Hit them hard!"

Tabletop

I'm sorry for the poor post rate lately. I have one more week of a difficult schedule at work, and things should return to normal for me.

She will get an opportunity attack for Gargoyle 3 attacks the Zombie next to her thanks to the Sentinel feat:

• Opportunity Attack - hits AC 21 for 14 damage.

Aubryn will ignore the one attacking her and continue attacking Gargoyle 3.

• Attack #1 - hits AC 13 (that's too low at this level, so I'm going to guess it's a miss)
  • Attack #2 - hits AC 24 for 15 slashing damage.

Finally, she uses the Commanding Rally feature to grant Cole an extra attack (which does an extra 1d8 dmg on a hit).

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Longsword Opportunity attack vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 12
Slashing damage
1d8+8 6
Longsword attack #1 vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 4
Longsword attack #2 vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 15
Slashing damage
1d8+8 7

image.jpegNiles Gilderbrandt

Level 8 Arcane Mystic (Character Sheet)

AC: 16 | HP: 59 | Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Slots: 1st Level: 4 of 4 | 2nd Level: 2 of 3 | 3rd Level: 2 of 3 | 4th Level: 2 of 2

Spell Attack Bonus: +8 | Bonus Spells Available: Hex: yes | Invisibility: no | Misty Step: Yes | Ray of Sickness: Yes

Initiative: +3   Passive Perception: 14 | Channel Divinity: Yes

Niles darts to the side looking for some sort of cover. He quickly casts a Hex on the closest gargoyle, with a focus on the creature's Dexterity. He then casts a fire bolt at the hexed gargoyle.

Sorry, at work and I can't do Roll20 on my phone so a very generic first round.

Name
Fire bolt
1d20+8 5
I doubt that hits, but if it does 
2d10 6,5
Plus hex damage
1d6 3

Moon Magic

image.png.5eb26f8fa794306575e73602f8db0779.pngAlura casts her spell over the wall of fire. Inside the protective spell, Rath Modar's eyes grow unfocused as the charm takes hold.

Callista delays her turn, waiting to see what the sorcerer does.

Aubryn strikes the gargoyle as it attacks the zombie. She then continues her attack, chipping pieces off the stone creature with her magical sword.

Niles' cantrip misses.

Cole moves into a better position. One of the gargoyles swipes at him as he moves by, but he easily evades it. The wall of fire prevents him from shooting arrows at Rath Modar, but he fires three arrows at the closest gargoyle. Two harmlessly deflect off its rock hide, but one pierces a crack that already existed in the creature, causing more rock to flake off.

Rath Modar drops his concentration on the wall of fire spell. "You are in danger!" he shouts back to Alura. "The Black Robe will turn on your at any moment!" The sorcerer snaps his fingers, and three magic missiles arch toward Callista. She takes 9 points of force damage.

The first gargoyle attacks a zombie, rending it to pieces.

The next two gargoyles similarly destroy the second of Callista's zombies.

The final gargoyle attacks Aubryn. It manages to pierce her armor with its bite, dealing 3 points of piercing damage.

Tabletop

You are in Area 12.

Callista successfully counterspells Rath Modar's teleport spell.

We are in combat. The full party is up.

The red circle is Rath Modar's wall of fire spell. Any character who comes within 10 feet of the wall must make a DC 15 Dexterity Save.

Map

Roll20 Link

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (8/10)

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▢ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthen Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▢ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 []

The missiles fly towards her and she lifts her staff, a shimmering shield appears to intercept the glowing darts

"Always sowing discord... This is why you will lose."

With a wave of her hand, a wash of sickly green energy surrounds Modar in a pulsing aura, with her spell cast she steps back and out of the room, the Gargoyles much too close to her with her zombies down.

Mechanics

Attacks Actions
Blight Modar - 34 Half on save
Zombie A Aubryn's Gargoyle 14 2  

Reaction - Casting: Shield
Casting: Blight
• Save DC: Con (DC 16)

spacer.png      

Zombie A

HP: 30/30
Damage:
1d6+1

Name
Blight on Modar
8d8 1,3,2,7,8,4,4,5
Zombie A Attack
1d20+7 7
Zombie A Damage
1d6+1 1

tumblr_pai35mapsx1s1nfszo1_1280.jpgAubryn Grace

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 102/105 | Passive Perception: 14 | Init: +0

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 2/3 | Commanding Rally: 2/3 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Skills | Saves | Features

Aubryn flashes her longsword again as the gargoyle nearest to her ignores her; it carves a chunk out of the creature. Bound and determined, the knight presses that attack. Her next attack is clumsy and barely worth the effort, but it sets up a vicious slash across the stony creature's chest hoping she's seen the last of it.

Tabletop

Aubryn gets another Opportunity Attack vs. Gargoyle 3: hits AC 23 for 12 slashing damage.

She continues to attack Gargoyle 3 until it dies. Once it dies, she will switch to Gargoyle 4.

• Attack #1 - misses
  • Attack #2 - hits AC 23 for 16 slashing damage

Her Commanding Rally last round didn't happen, so I will just not expend a use of it rather than have Cole attack. It's too bad it's only useful for weapon attacks. Once we have the new PCs, it will hopefully be more useful.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Longsword opportunity attack vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 14
Slashing damage
1d8+8 4
Longsword attack #1 vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 2
Longsword attack #2 vs. Gargoyle 3
1d20+9 14
Slashing damage
1d8+8 8