Chapter Eight: Castle in the Clouds

codexgigas

Cole Agdon - Half-elf Ranger 8 sheet appspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 79/79 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 19 | Darkvision: 90' | Features

Cole keeps to the back, letting the women handle the situation. They all seem to be doing a great job so far, as long as this innkeeper is a follower of Takhisis. He instead looks around the room to make sure no one else is going to start any trouble with us.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Bow
Off Hand: Empty

Reaction: none

Action: Insight
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Linaras, 30th of Gildember, Evening

Moon Magic

White Robes receive a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls and spell save DCs.
Black Robes receive a -1 penalty to spell attack rolls and spell save DCs.

Solinari (17)--High Sanction, 8 days to Waning
Lunitari (17)--Waning, 2 days to Waning
Nuitari (4)--Low Sanction, 1 day to Waxing

image.png.20fd89b19cf07e50cf5cb73a9867c204.pngThe innkeeper visibly relaxes. "Beg pardon," he says, "but it's impossible to be too careful. There's a group that's been disrupting operations in this area, and I feared you might be them. There are rooms available for you upstairs. We make sure that fellow believers have a place to rest. I assume you'll be continuing on to the castle tomorrow?"

The tension has drained out of the inn. The other patrons return to their private conversations. For the moment at least, the danger has passed.

Tabletop

You are in Area 2.

Map

image.png.2b3c3c522b62c3f2c6ad024b7d51573b.png

tumblr_pai35mapsx1s1nfszo1_1280.jpgAubryn Grace

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 88/105 | Passive Perception: 14 | Init: +0

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 3/4 | Rallying Command: 3/4 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Skills | Saves | Features

Aubryn decides not to respond. She isn't sure it's a good idea to give them any more information, but it might be suspicious not to.

Tabletop

image.png.4e5d5a99c665d79a45fd0cf2a3559d5e.pngAlura Sajon LG Human Wizard [8]
HP 45 | AC 13/16 | Init +3 | Perception 19 | Investigation 23

Alura looks to her companions and then to the tavern keeper and says "If I have to ask for those drinks One ... More ... Time ..." and looks at him in his eyes until he turns to the bar and gets them their drinks.

OoC

Not doing anything else other than keeping her Detect Thoughts spell up and running. She is always aware with her passive perception and investigation up too.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

spacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 54/54
Str -1 | Dex +1 | Con +3 | Int +7 | Wis +2 | Cha +0

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]
Magic Missile, Burning Hands

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthern Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Animate Dead, Fireball, Slow, Counterspell, Summon Shadowspawn

Level 4 [▣ ▣]
Blight, Wall of Fire, Conjure Minor Elementals

Callista wraps her arm around Alura's waist with overt familiarity "Sister, you know how i love it when you get so forceful. I dare say i hope he continues to ignore you so i can see exactly what consequences there are.."

Mechanics

Attacks Actions
Attack Target To-Hit Damage Effects

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png  

Zombie A

HP: 30
AC: 8
Attack: +7
Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

image.jpegNiles Gilderbrandt

Level 8 Arcane Mystic (Character Sheet)

AC: 16 | HP: 59 | Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Slots: 1st Level: 3 of 4 | 2nd Level: 3 of 3 | 3rd Level: 3 of 3 | 4th Level: 2 of 2

Spell Attack Bonus: +8 | Bonus Spells Available: Hex: Yes | Invisibility: Yes | Misty Step: Yes | Ray of Sickness: Yes

Initiative: +3   Passive Perception: 14 | Channel Divinity: Yes

Niles desperately wanted the drinks and a bite to eat. He knew he desperately missed civilization in his time of captivity, but he now knew just how much he missed it as he longed for the unarrived victuals. It felt like he'd not eaten in a week. He was about to speak up when Alura spoke threateningly. Niles didn't know what to think about that, and really, at this point in his life, didn't care. He just wanted something wonderful to fill his belly and moreover, pretty much anything would be 'wonderful' to him.

Moon Magic

image.png.20fd89b19cf07e50cf5cb73a9867c204.pngThe innkeeper chuckles nervously at Alura. "You Black Robes know what you want and when you want it, eh?" he says. A drop of sweat slides down his forehead. "Tabitha brought you drinks. If beer isn't too your liking, let me know. I'll have her bring you some mead. We don't have any wine; don't get many requests from it out here. There's some dwarf spirits behind the bar, but I've stopped advertising it. Rezmir doesn't like her people getting that drunk. So long as she's in Walmish, I won't cross her... at least not cheaply."

The waitress, Tabitha, returns with plates of sausage and cabbage. "On the house," the innkeeper says. "We want to make sure that the believers are well-fed. Father Desmond may grumble, but almost all of the town has deserted him. We earnestly await the Queen's return."

Tabletop

You are in Area 2.

Map

Cole Agdon - Half-elf Ranger 8 sheet appspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 79/79 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 19 | Darkvision: 90' | Features

Cole nods to the innkeeper. "Yes. We are due at the castle tomorrow morning. We appreciate the hospitality and it's good to know where your loyalties lie."

He refrains from winking at Aubryn for doing such a good job with the deception. He stows his bow on his back and sits down to enjoy the food and single mug of beer. The sausage and cabbage may not be the best he's ever had, but after months as a prisoner, it tastes better than anything he's had in a while.

Despite the apparent servility of the other patrons, he keeps his eyes peeled for any signs of danger until the others are ready to retire to our room.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Bow
Off Hand: Empty

Reaction: none

Action: Insight
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Alura continues to fix her stare on the innkeeper and says, "How many rooms you have upstairs? Any other patrons tonight? And who is this Father Desmond?" She is still detecting his thoughts in order to tell if he is keeping things from her.

OoC

If we can get the place to ourselves that would be great. And if this Father Desmond is a potential ally that would be good to know too.

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 3/4 | Rallying Command: 3/4 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Aubryn presses her lips together, annoyed that there is conversation going on unaware of Alura's magic. Every question could lead to a slip up.

Tabletop

Regardless of this being an inn, she insists that they keep a watch.

image.jpegNiles Gilderbrandt

Level 8 Arcane Mystic (Character Sheet)

AC: 16 | HP: 59 | Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Slots: 1st Level: 3 of 4 | 2nd Level: 3 of 3 | 3rd Level: 3 of 3 | 4th Level: 2 of 2

Spell Attack Bonus: +8 | Bonus Spells Available: Hex: Yes | Invisibility: Yes | Misty Step: Yes | Ray of Sickness: Yes

Initiative: +3   Passive Perception: 14 | Channel Divinity: Yes

Niles sits with Cole and loses whatever composure he usually displays as he descends into shovelling food into his mouth like a starving person... Which he was, in a way. The food he had been eating was barely passable as food, intended to keep prisoners weak, and therefore, more easy to manage. It had no flavor to speak of and so even the worst meal out of captivity was as a fine dining experience at a king's table... And that is how Niles felt. In a few days, he knew he probably would barely stomach this meal, but in this moment, it was the best he could remember.

Whatever else was going on around Niles was lost to him.

Moon Magic

image.png.20fd89b19cf07e50cf5cb73a9867c204.pngAlura keeps the innkeeper talking. As he speaks, she doesn't detect any falsehoods. "We've got three rooms upstairs. I need to keep one reserved for one of the Speakers in Purple, if they're passing through, but the other two are free for you to use." He pauses and makes a face before speaking of Father Desmond. Alura senses his deep dislike of the man. "Father Desmond is the local priest. He's a cleric of Hiddukel. The man doesn't understand the way the wind is blowing. Hiddukel's leadership got us nowhere during the war. He played us as false as he played the Solamnics. That's what you get from the God of Lies. Not like Mother Takhisis. To hear Father Desmond tell it, we're all courting disaster by working for the Queen's return. If you ask me, Hiddukel just doesn't want the competition."

Alura is able to gather a few images of the Speakers in Purple the innkeeper mentions. Among them are a half-black dragon woman, a burly dwarf, and a fair-skinned elf. If she had to guess, she would say that the elf is a Silvanesti.

Tabletop

You are in Area 2.

Map

Aubryn nods and says, "Yes, your first mistake was listening to a cleric of Hiddukel! Enough of this. Let's get some rest; I'm tired and have no more time for this."

The knight looks for a key and will head up to one of the rooms declaring the biggest of the two the "girls" room.

Tabletop

I hope we are ready for the long rest. Then it's a trip to the castle next.

Alura nods to her noble knight and says, "I will follow in a moment. Once he is done eating." She points to Niles. Turning her attention to the tavern keeper she say "That will be all." Before he can turn around and leave she says "Hail the Dark Queen." And raises her cup in praise of Takhisis. Once they are alone again she whispers to her companions that stayed behind, "I can't imagine us not encountering Speakers in Purple while here, so we need to get familiar with our surroundings so that we can escape quickly. Let's finish up here and head to our rooms. I feel we will need to sleep light and move quickly when the time comes."

OoC

Lets get an exit plan ready.

spacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 54/54
Str -1 | Dex +1 | Con +3 | Int +7 | Wis +2 | Cha +0

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]
Magic Missile, Burning Hands

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthern Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Animate Dead, Fireball, Slow, Counterspell, Summon Shadowspawn

Level 4 [▣ ▣]
Blight, Wall of Fire, Conjure Minor Elementals

Heading up to her room early, she makes her preparations. She has a little bit of a routine after all. She has her undead to work on - she spends a few minutes reestablishing control - and then does a little ritual to put an alarm on the room. It really seems that she is very much at home in this sort of situation.

Mechanics

Attacks Actions
Attack Target To-Hit Damage Effects

• Casting: Animate Dead to reestablish control
• Ritual Casting: Alarm

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png  

Zombie A

Damage:
1d6+1