Book 2: Chapter 3 - North and North

Powderhorn

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

Brother Koji nodded but continued to lay the bodies to rest, in the most respectful way he knew. Taking the poison bots, he carefully stabbed the ends into the dirt to clean off the poison and then broke the bolts laying them on each of the bodies. He then kneels and says a few words to commend their spirits to the afterlife.
Once completed, he stands up wipes his clothing, and nods, "Let us continue"

spacer.pngIphigenia points at their fallen foes' armour, and then addresses her companions.

"What do you think? They know how we look now, and will not doubt be searching for us. A little subterfuge and disguise could come in handy."

There are, after all, four dead dark elves and four of them-it is as if fate wills it.

I'll give a shot at wearing their raiment, Stavard says.

But I need every bit of protection I can get. It'll come down to me to do the bloody work again I tell ya, and I'd like to do that work aforementioned with all the armor between their arrows and swords and sorceries and my soft hide as I bloody well can get.

Oracle first, I'd say only detour to the outpost if it's near on the way. One thing at a time.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"We placed it close to the chamber for this very purpose. And I believe we will have a work crew there. They need to be warned.

As for the elvish armor, I do not believe any such armor exists that will fool our foes into thinking I am one of them.

The leather seems decent though. We should take the extra weapons and armor for our new comers. The day may come when they will need to defend themselves."

Weapon - Combat stats

spacer.pngIphigenia nodded, and after recovering for herself a suit of leather armor (one that was as little damaged as possible), she sat to the side while others dealt with the body. From her pack, she produced some writing materials* and begun thinking of the contents of the message she intended to leave behind to the scouts of the enemy.

After much consideration, she eventually put pen to parchment (literal or metaphorical, depending on her equipment.) This was what she had managed to come up with:

"When your peoples are prepared to parlay

not from a position of perceived power

but rather a place of practicality

you would do better to send emissaries and diplomats

instead of assassins."

When she was done, she showed it to the others, and asked them what they thought, and if they agreed with leaving such a request behind.

"We had better make them come to us," she remarked, "...rather than the other way around."

OOC

*I am not sure if she has writing materials... if not, she'll try to carve it into the trees around the scene, or write it with rocks on the ground-whatever is possible. Ideally, though, it should be left near the slain-or their graves-at an easy to notice location.

Late Summer - Day 78, Late Evening - Glynnsburna Forest

spacer.png

Having survived the ambush, it was determined to set about getting to the oracles as quickly as possible - however it is quickly apparent as you get your bearings that you were only a few more hours out from the anticipated outpost. Getting to the edge of the forest, with the sun setting, an inky splotch can clearly be seen where you were heading.

It would seem that whatever outpost was there has met the Maliente.

Stavard curses a hearty string of sailor's obscenities. Impressive in their obscureness an impartial observer might have added.

Can't those elvish rapscallions see near perfect in the dark. Just what we need. Running into their pickets near blind as anything when they can see our bumbling visage as if it were the noon meridian of the day scares me and it should scare you if you have an ounce of sense left in your guts. If we can push it, we can force march and see if any fight is by twilight not darkness. If not, maybe waiting in a safe place nearby, nearer than here maybe, for the dawn would be prudent.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon turned his face away from the destruction for a long moment.

"I helped plan this outpost... I sent these men to their doom.

Let us look for any survivors who might be saved and then be on our way. The Maliente have made it very clear that they do not seek parlay. Stavard, I am not sure about the Maliente's eyes, other than what others have told us. They can see in the dark. But so do the dwarves. Perhaps that will help us even the odds.

Iphigenia, let us hope the orcs find your note and pass it among themselves. Perhaps if they keep it a secret they will be able to act on it"

Karadoon picked his way through the smoking timber, looking for any of the outpost work crew who might be alive.

Weapon - Combat stats

spacer.pngIphigenia looked at the smoldering column that rose against the backdrop of the dusk-colored horizon grimly, and she unconscioustly clenched her fists. She turned towards Karadoon and nodded, agreeing to his proposal. She was loathe to leave any survivors to their fates, though she did not reserve much hope that any had been left.

"This is a message." she said at length. "Perhaps also a trap. The timing has been selected carefully. Yet still I would go-to see to any injured, and to hear their tales, and, if all is lost, to study the work of our enemy.

How many souls lived here when you raised the outpost?

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"It would have been a small crew. No more than ten. Is it possible this was a dragun and not the black elves?"

Weapon - Combat stats

spacer.pngShe looked to brother Koji and Stavard.

"Shall we find out? Either way... it may prove dangerous and foolish... so I would not begrudge anyone who would choose to stay behind."

(OOC: I am happy to go with majority vote here-I don't have a strong preference. Both have pros and cons.)

Late Summer - Day 78, Late Evening - Oracle Outpost

spacer.png

Entering the outpost location, such as it is, there is the immediate scent of burned wood and flesh. A small wooden structure had been made already in the style of a blockhouse. It is now reduced to burnt timber collapsing in upon itself. The bodies of those comrades sent north were clearly nailed to the walls of the building before it was burnt, but it is difficult to identify them as in addition to the abuses already inflicted, their heads were removed and taken.

There appear to be no survivors.

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

Brother Koji stepped into the charred remains of the outpost, his presence marked by a heavy, contemplative silence. The scent of burnt wood and flesh assaulted his senses, but his face remained an impassive mask, betraying none of the tumult that roiled within him. His eyes, dark and solemn, took in the horrific scene before him: the small blockhouse, once a symbol of hope and safety, now lay in ruins, its timbers smouldering and collapsing. The grisly sight of these people, nailed to the walls and decapitated, spoke of unspeakable cruelty and hatred.

Koji moved through the devastation with a measured, deliberate pace, his gaze never wavering from the atrocities committed there. Every so often, he would pause, closing his eyes briefly as if in silent prayer or to steady the surge of emotion threatening to break through his stoic exterior. His lips remained firmly sealed, the lines around his mouth deepening with each step, each horrific discovery.

Though his heart bled for the fallen and his soul cried out for justice, Koji's outward demeanour remained calm and controlled. He understood that at this moment, his strength and composure were necessary to bear witness to the savagery, to remember it, and to carry the weight of this tragedy.

Koji took upon himself the solemn duty of gathering the charred remains. With each careful and respectful movement, he reclaimed them from the wreckage, his silence a profound testament to his mourning and respect. He found a serene clearing not far from the smouldering ruins, a place where wildflowers dared to bloom amidst the desolation, and there he began to lay the bodies to rest.

He worked with a reverence born of deep faith, arranging the remains with the dignity they were denied in death. Koji did not speak; his actions were his prayer, his tribute to their lives and sacrifices.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon was quiet as he surveyed the outpost. He chuffed under his beard momentarily upon finding their men nailed to the walls of the outpost. Whether he was holding back bile or tears could not be guessed. He helped brother Koki lay the men to their final rest. With the men removed he looked around at the place one last time.

"This will be the last attempt at peaceful trade I offer the Maliente. Perhaps their followers and allies, but not them."

Weapon - Combat stats