Chapter 6 — The Way Back Down

iantruesilver

"Before you decide to make a career out of scavenging the various strange ruins scattered across Numeria, reconsider — for there are a great many things you may not be prepared to find out."

— Gojan the Sharp, excerpt from Pathfinder Chronicles, Volume 3

spacer.png

20 Arodus, Wealday. The next morning, dawn hits you with the chill of a Numerian late summer morning, crisp with dry light airs beneath broken but gathering clouds.

[[ Mood Music ]]

spacer.png

Armed with some new alchemical weapons, and the high spirit of having indulged in some recreation at the Silverdisk Hall from the previous afternoon, you reconvene at the edge of Weeping Pond on the way up Black Hill Trail.

The bitter stink of sulphur and other chemicals still pervade the air surround this small body of placid water, set into a crescent-shaped ridge of the bald escarpment that's devoid of vegetation.

T'Sarra shows up sporting a particularly bright complexion, her hair seemingly having taken on a bit more volume and a kind of stringy frizziness. Val too looks as though she's recovered somewhat from her alcoholic binge the day before.

spacer.pngThe changeling Keshka is accompanied by Father Kyte, as well as her roommate Kathleen, who seems to be expressing concern for the young ranger as they make their last steps on the trek up. "Listen, are you sure about this Kesh? I mean, you just barely got better from your last thing..."

[[ Map — Torch ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
HA (B, K, T, Va, Vi, Vr)
64; 18; 47; 53; 96; 92
1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100 [64]; [64,18]; [64,18,47]; [64,18,47,53]; [64,18,47,53,96]; [64,18,47,53,96,92]
HA (M, JK, K)
9; 39; 15
1d100;1d100;1d100 [9]; [9,39]; [9,39,15]

Keshka

KeshkaPortrait.png.c5a8b8226b763306509344da12ab2897.png

Keshka squeezed Kathleen's hand and gave her a hug. "You know I couldn't forgive myself if anything happened to those kids and I was just up here resting." She smiled at the gathering group and gave them a quick wave before turning back to Kathleen and Father Kyte. "While I am keeping Val alive long enough to find her father, I need a favor. I told Matuq about my concerns yesterday but I don't feel reassured. Sanvil was offering over double the value of the scrap these people pulled up from the caves yesterday. And then trying to get us to take him down. I know, I know, I am probably paranoid. But that has usually helped keep me alive. Just... keep an eye on him?"

She then turned back to the gathered group with a wide smile. "So! How do we do this?"

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 3 [b]Ref[/b] 5 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +3 [b]BAB[/b] 1 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +4 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN HP 12 / 12 Speed ft Init 3 AC 17 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1 CMB +3 BAB 1 Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3) Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Commonly Used Skills/Special notes

Favored Enemy: Constructs +2
+X Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks
+X bonus on weapon attack/dmg
Can make untrained K skill checks to identify creatures with type

Perception: +5, +7 vs constructs

Barhuce

spacer.pngBarhuce shrugs. "The good padre there casts water breathing for us, we follow the guide-rope we left on down. We check in with the Skulks in their village in case the gremlins we chased off came back, by Brigh's hammer I hope they didn't come back, and then we go through the skymetal door to the metal part of the caverns and pick up where we left off. It'll be groovy baby."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 2, Init 3, HP 17/17, Speed 30ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
silversheen, MC rapier +6 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +5 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +5 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 0/1

In the morning before heading back down, Vri headed to the market to get some handsfree torch. She went looking for something called an ioun torch, which would give light without her needing to hold it up. If not, she could always go for a more regular continual light torch which she could hold in the hand that her buckler was in.

OOC

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 2
AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 19/19 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/3 | Darkvision
Hero Points ??

Active Conditions: none
Spells:

1st: (5/5) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds, Fumbletongue
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water, read magic

At the shore

T'Sarra, conscious of her disheveled condition did the 'walk' from the bouncer's place (did she ever get her name?) to get her things at Khonnir's then to the shoreline ready to go.

"Yes, I had a good time," she smiled and shook her head answering a question no one asked.

"And that's the last question I'm answering about last night. Barhuce has the plan, except you forgot we should probably stop with the cold vials Matuq made to drive back that brown mold and see what's down there in that last room outside the door first. Might as well, we got the supplies for it now. When you're ready, Father," she bowed her head and her lips followed along with his prayer to Brigh as he gave them the blessing of water breathing.

When they were blessed and ready, she turned to Keshka in particular.

"So, this spell will let you breathe the water, but I wouldn't recommend it. Except in case of emergencies. You can hold your breath long enough to get through and it's not that rough a swim. But ... well the water sometimes makes some people want to lose their breakfast. I'm assuming breathing that crap makes it even worse, but I dunno. Never taken it in my lungs yet."

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +8
Handle Animal +5
Heal +4
Knowledge (history) +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +7
Spellcraft +4
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -1 ACP to str and dex skills  

Market Square

After scouring the stalls at Market Square, Vri is unable to find an ioun torch, only to realize that her group had bought the only two available in town two days prior.

Beside Weeping Pond

"I know Kesh. Like I said, just... be careful." Kathleen told her roommate as they embraced one another.

spacer.png"Your concern is unwarranted, child." Father Kyle answered to Keshka's worries, "Sanvil Trett has been coming to Torch for trade with us for close to ten years, I'm sue that whatever he thought the stuff was worth, he's already got a buyer lined up on the other end."

With Vri and T'Sarra now joining the group, one bearing a brand new toy and the other a wonderfully carefree countenance and attitude to match, the group briefly brings Keshka up to speed with the routine that they've established the day before.

While Barhuce points out the guide rope that's been pitoned down to the surface, and the others do a last minute check over their gear, Val and Violet busy themselves with stripping down some of their layers of clothing and stuffing those and other pieces of gear into a waxy looking leather sack with a cinch cord at the top.

spacer.png"ᚡᛆᛐᛂᚱ ᛒᚱᛆÞᛁᛜ" Once your group signaled your readiness, the priest held up his red wood and quartz rod, speaking a ritual prayer as he gestures with the end of the rod. Then as he touches each party member on the shoulder, he speaks a prayer, "Brigh be with you."

[[ Map — Torch ]]

(( Each of your party is bestowed the benefits of a water breathing spell for 4 hours. As indicated before, those who have made the dive previously do not need to roll Swim checks or Fortitude saves. Keshka, please roll both. ))

Name
???? ????? ????????????
1d100 5

T'Sarra Khonnor 

AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 19/19 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/3 | Darkvision
Hero Points ??

Spells:

At the shore

T'Sarra's chain didn't really slow her down much so she didn't bother to strip it off for the swim this time. It'd dry soon enough.

"Thanks for the help, Father. Now, the spell's a wasting, we should get a move on." She grabbed onto the guide rope and waded in, then under to the other side.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +8
Handle Animal +5
Heal +4
Knowledge (history) +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +7
Spellcraft +4
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 17, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
Condition None

"Yeah, great," Vri said as she followed the tiefling. While she liked exploring, she didn't really like the water. Best get it over with quickly, she thought as she headed back down, following the ropes they had put in the day before.

OOC

If a swim check is needed, I'll take 10 for 15 in total

Barhuce

spacer.pngBarhuce nods. "Good point. I forgot about the mold." He takes a moment to make sure everything that needs to stay dry will and then he follows Vri into the water.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

Keshka

KeshkaPortrait.png.c5a8b8226b763306509344da12ab2897.png

Keshka eyed the water skeptically but with the rest of the group rapidly disappearing into the water she moved to follow. She gave Kathleen a reassuring half smile before diving in after the group.

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 2 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] 30 ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 4 [b]Ref[/b] 6 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +4 [b]BAB[/b] 2 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +5 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 2 NN
HP 12 / 12 Speed 30 ft
Init 3 AC 17 Fort 4 Ref 6 Will 1
CMB +4 BAB 2
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +5 (1d8, x3)
Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Commonly Used Skills/Special notes

Favored Enemy: Constructs +2
+X Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks
+X bonus on weapon attack/dmg
Can make untrained K skill checks to identify creatures with type

Perception: +5, +7 vs constructs

Name
Fort Save
1d20+4 3
Swim
1d20+6 2

Diving under Weeping Pond...

For most of you, the process of diving down beneath the brackish, sulfurous waters of Weeping Pond is, while still fairly discomforting, more or less bearable and beginning to seem routine. The third dive didn't present any new or unforeseen issues — the guide rope was still in place and properly tethered, and there was no visible change underneath the murky depths going through the sinuous path of the underwater tunnel.

One after another, T'Sarra, Vri and Barhuce emerge to the surface of the underwater stream inside Black Hill Caves, and you collect yourselves and help each other up onto the beach landing, where the end of the guide rope is still properly secured.

spacer.png

Keshka Only

Slipping into the water after the others, you had initially thought that things were going decently well... That was until the cool, sulfurous water submerged your face and your mammalian dive reflex kicked in, driving you to take a deep inhale, aspirating the pond's foul effluvium into your lungs.

Panick set in immediately as your system hasn't immediately recognized what is breathable and what isn't, despite the effects of the priest's spell protecting you from drowning. It's then that you lose grip of the guide rope and flounder, slipping down into some dark depths...

spacer.png

Suddenly, something grabs you by the arm, and then hooks underneath your armpit, and drags you along until, dreaded long moments and untold distances later, you find yourself coughing up the awful tasting water in a foreign, almost alien-looking place, feeling sick to your stomach.

There's a long pause after the three resurface, and anxiety begins to build as to what the hold up might be for the others, before Val emerges, short of breath, and looking behind in panic. "Keshka..."

She's barely able to make out the words in between gasping breaths for air, and another long moment passes before two more heads emerge, the android's form supporting that of the changeling, coughing and sputtering the brackish, foul tasting water out of her mouth and nose.

Among other things that has not changed, the air here still stinks of mold and vinegar, leaving an unpleasant flavour in the mouth. Dampness still hangs in the air of this lightless cave, condensing into heavy moisture on the slick stone walls. The calm, dark waters wind around the stony, soot-scarred beach where you had slain several fire beetles the day before, their corpses still dimly illuminating the area in an eerie bioluminescent glow.

[[ Map — Black Hill Caves ]]

(( Keshka is sickened. ))

Barhuce

spacer.pngBarhuce watches the water as Vi and Keshka emerge. He winces in remembrance of the experience. "It'll pass before too long." He then spends a couple minutes getting everything he put in the waterproof bags back out and arranging himself.

Statblock

Barhuce
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points ??

Spells:

At the shore

T'Sarra's nodded agreeing with Barhuce's assessment. They never listened, she was used to it by now. Didn't even say a thing about not drinking or breathing the water, just put a compassionate hand on Keshka's shoulder and made sure her shoes weren't in the line of any possible vomit.

"It didn't take them too long to recover last time. But you're a better person than I am, Keshka, because I would have tried to aim for Val's shoes."

She smiled and laughed a little, then waited for Keshka's nausea to pass.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +8
Handle Animal +5
Heal +4
Knowledge (history) +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +7
Spellcraft +4
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"Here, drink something" Vri said, offering the waterskin she had brought with her, "That will get the taste of the 'water' out of your mouth. It's not fun, but as the others said, you get used to it. That's why we did the thing with the ropes, so it's easier to get here and back again."

OOC

Black Hill Caves — Sooty Beach

Upon the stony, soot-scarred beach in this damp lie four carcasses of what looks to be fire beetles, the bioluminescence still casting spots of eerie light upon their immediate surroundings. Amongst the four, one of those carcasses look particularly mutilated for some reason.

spacer.png

spacer.png"Oh my gods, it was just the once!" Val protested vocally T'Sarra's teasing, and threw up her hands to turn and climb the five-foot ledge up to the stalagmite-choked cave toward the east, leaving Violet to dig out her gear from the waterproof bag and chase after her with it.

[[ Map — Black Hill Caves ]]