OOC: About Your Players

crimsonjoe

Since @Aspekt and @scootloops were kind enough to make introductory posts, I thought I would create one for the players.

Username: @crimsonjoe
Playing: Arden MacDonald

Real Age: 51 (Hey- play what you know)

Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1983 or so.

Longest game I was involved in: Was in an X-Men based play by post game for ~ ten years

Favorite TTRPG: 7th Sea (1st Edition), DnD (5th Edition)

Favorite Fandoms: Star Wars, Doctor Who

Currently playing: Besides this game, running a 7th Sea game over Google Meet. Also playing far too much Baldur's Gate 3

Tends to play:   I've played villains, but I do heroic characters better. I'm also very good at playing obtuse characters...

Does not play:   Subtle characters. Even my scoundrels are upfront about being scoundrels

Will rant for an hour about: "BattleStar: Galatica" or "The Rise of Skywalker" Movie. Please do not get me started on either.

Looking forward to playing with you all.

Username: OneMoreGamer

Playing: Loxley (the fox)

Real Age: 53

Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1985 or so.

Longest game I was involved in: PBP homebrew version of Kingmaker - 8 years

Favorite TTRPG: MSHRPG

Favorite Fandoms: Marvel Comics, Wheel of Time

Currently playing: Vampire the Dark Ages, Medieval Venice Intrigue Homebrew

Tends to play:   Bards, Magic Users

Does not play:  Really bad guys

Will rant for an hour about: Mainly I listen while others rant

Username: ResidualRose

Playing: Kagami “The Oni” Saya

Real Age: 34

Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1995-96ish

Longest game I was involved in: Tie between a tabletop Pathfinder homebrew campaign that went on 4+ years, from level 2-to-20, and a Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft-ish Neverwinter Nights RP/PW server that went on more or the less the same time frame, “A Land of Dark Dreams”

Favorite TTRPG: Tough call…Cypher, BESM (3rd edition), Shadowrun (4th edition), Call of Cthulhu (3rd Edition), Fallout 2d20, Dark Heresy(1e)/Rogue Trader/Only War, Cyberpunk RED, Star Trek Adventures, DCC, Alternity d20, D20 Modern (and it’s variations: pulp, cyber, future, etc), Star Wars SAGA edition and d20 Revised, 7th Sea, Pathfinder (1st edtion), Vampire: The Masquerade, A/DnD 2e/3.5, Palladium Heroes Unlimited…I am currently running 2 different 5E campaigns at my LGS though, so that’s gotta place it up there as well…

Favorite Fandoms: Trekkie for liiiife. LLAP! The Avatar: TLA/LoK fandoms are also pretty wholesome usually.

Currently playing: Baldur’s Gate III, Starfield (mods and shipbuilder keep sucking me back in!), this game, a DnD 3.5 campaign and a Dark Heresy game at different friend’s houses, and I currently run a Monday Forgotten Realms/Spelljammer 5E Campaign and a Tuesday Eberron 5E campaign for two different groups at my LGS.

Tends to play:   Not gonna lie, I have a history of playing the “edgelord” aesthetic…or at least, characters that have the appearance of being one until they open up and get going. Blame my younger goth days…I’ve played a lot of “evil” and anti-hero or anti-villain types, though most of whom are not beyond redemption…I’ve also played “exalted deeds” type good guys as well, such as a Paladin who only killed when necessary and tended to capture enemy cultists and demonologists (it was a PF1e Wrath of the Righteous campaign) to deconvert them in therapy sessions disguised as interrogation attempts…mechanically, I’ve played a lot of roles, though my best ones are probably Investigative types, Gunslingers, and balancing out Gish-types (sword and spell). In 5E, that translates to a LOT of Artificers, Blood Hunters, Battle Sorcerers, and Hexblades.

I also like characters that come at a concept sideways…like Kagami Saya being a Samurai aesthetically and flavourfully, but her class is Barbarian (and I also made a version that was straight warlock as an experiment too).

As mentioned before, I am a “recovering Goth-kid”, so I do still have a special place in my black heart for Necromancer and Death/Dark Knight types. Played a looooot of Dread Necromancers back in 3.5…

Does not play:  …I have problems playing characters with INT lower then 10. I love inventive problem solving and puzzles too much.

Will rant for an hour about: I’m on the Autistic Spectrum; Give me a topic even tangentially related to any of my Special Interests. Go on, I dare you…but only if you have 5 days straight of free time set aside to listen non-stop to the curse you have visited upon this world. MWahahahahaha!

Username: Phntm888

Playing: Tevis Longfellow

Real Age: 36

Been involved in TTRPG Since: Around...1999? 2000? I think somewhere in there

Longest game I was involved in: Face to face version of Kingmaker - 5-6 years

Favorite TTRPG: Star Wars: Saga Edition, probably.

Favorite Fandoms: Star Wars, Wheel of Time

Currently playing: Lasers & Liches, Running PF2 Kingmaker and PF1 Way of the Wicked, PF2 Carrion Crown, Star Wars Saga Edition

Tends to play:   A lot of different character types

Does not play:  Lawful Stupid or Chaotic Anarchy

Will rant for an hour about: Um...I could probably spend an hour ranting about a lot of different topics, but my rants tend to be less complaining and more "I'm super excited about this".

Username: Morgan_
Playing: Sherrin

Real Age: 27
Been involved in TTRPG Since: 2021
Longest game I was involved in: 2 year D&D campaign
Favorite TTRPG: I've only ever played D&D 5e and Pathfinder 2e. I prefer 5e.
Favorite Fandoms: Ghibli movies
Currently playing: In-person D&D campaign
Tends to play: Human characters
Does not play: I can't play evil-aligned characters. Even my "evil" characters end up good.
Will rant for an hour about: Grammatical errors

Username: Passione

Playing: Daigneault Dalrymple

Been involved in TTRPG Since: I was introduced to it back in 2002, but I have only stuck with it after the release of 5e D&D, early 2016.

Longest game I was involved in: Technically, a Monsterhearts story I've been with since 2012. It's weird since we are now in our thirties but it also works as a way to catch up with old friends. Practically, I have been participating in my LGS's Adventurer's League for close to seven years.

Favorite TTRPG: Lancer, Genesys/FFG Star Wars, and Betrayal Legacy. (It counts. Respect the Helm.)

Favorite Fandoms: LoadingReadyRun, Tatsuki Fujimoto and FromSoftware.

Currently playing: Fallout 2d20, Ravenloft: Falkovnia, Wildsea, The Quiet Year, Cyberpunk RED, Mutants and Masterminds 3e, I think.

Tends to play: People out of their depth. I also have a soft spot for Wild Magic Sorcerers in 5th.

Does not play: I don't know.

Will rant for an hour about: Children. My nieces,  nephews, and godchildren are my pride and joy. I've also taken up gardening. I have slaved over a two year old apple sapling and it humbles me still. Also, corn is so easy to grow. It's bad because it is too much of a good thing.

Can I also signal boost Sea of Stars and its soundtrack? Aspekt's playlist of Joachim Heinrich's music reminded me of it and it has filled our house this past week.

Edited by Passione
lrr (see edit history)

Even though I'm the GM this thread was too cool, so I figured I'd weigh in.

Username: Aspekt

Playing: All the things that want to eat you, plus the bad guys, some good guys, and the traps.

Real Age: 29 (wow, am I really almost the baby? Wild)

Been involved in TTRPG Since: Probably around 2020. I played one game of Pathfinder 1e in like 2016 but it didn't go anywhere. We had a lot of time on our hands being stuck inside and so my little friend-family and I played Lost Mines of Phandelver. After that I ran Frostmaiden, and now I'm running Tomb of Annihilation.

Longest game I was involved in: Our game of Rime of the Frostmaiden ended prematurely due to someone (my wife) trying to cast tiny-hut in combat. So we took the same group and just started a new campaign in Tomb of Annihilation. Taken together that's about 3 years?

Favorite TTRPG: 5e, it's what I know! I'd like to learn Mathfinder Pathfinder2e. I have the rulebook, but I don't want to jump my in-person group with new rules. I'd also be interested in a more rules-lite game than 5e or Pathfinder, I think I enjoy the story aspect more than the combat maths aspect.

Favorite Fandoms: Elderscrolls (Tom Howard ES6 plz), FarCry, Redwall, Elfstones of Shenarrah, [[That one where the cities are big machines that eat other cities]], Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, Dragon Riders of Pern, Dune, Game of Thrones, Eragon, The Walking Dead, Lost, and anything to do with Assassins (John Wick, Jason Bourne, Deathloop, Dishonored, Tom Clancy Splinter Cell, MGS5, Farcry Stealth Mechanics)

Currently playing: GM'ing Tomb of Annihilation, Death Stranding, Baldurs Gate 3, Subnautica (5th? 6th time?), Magic the Gathering

Currently Reading: Wheel of Time 10: Crossroads at Twilight, The Andromeda Strain, Royal Assassin (I have a problem where I read multiple books in parallel)

Tends to play: Characters who aren't perfect, who are "human". I don't like the alignment chart. One guy was a little gnome who helped his friends, but collected the ears of the dead on a string. Another guy was a man of god who was split between his god's demands and his desire to get married and settle down. Another was a full-blood orc who took bounty-hunter contracts. My favorite character ever was an NPC I created for the party that was a thousand-year-old eldritch being that presented as a talking cat who ran a magic items store.

Does not play: Warhammer40k (I really tried), Multiplayer online games (I'm not twitchy enough)

Will rant for an hour about: 

• The history of warfare, and the interesting state of "Grey Zone" conflict modern society finds itself in. What level of "use of force" constitutes war? What actions are war, and what are diplomacy? Can you wage war without violence?
  • Why you should write clean code, and make short pull requests
  • Why A24 movies are just empirically superior to other movie houses
Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

Username: 8wGremlin
Playing: Eira

Real Age: 53
Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1979
Longest game I was involved in: 3 year D&D campaign
Favourite TTRPG: Was D&D now Through the Breach by Wyrd Games
Favourite Fandoms: Ghibli movies
Currently playing: hiatus from 2 years Through the Breach Game.
Tends to play: normal characters made from left-field rules
Does not play: I think I've played everything, don't play romantically involved characters, I did, but moved through it.
Will rant for an hour about: the usability trends of current technology, and how subtle nuance has been left behind.

Username: Coruja (it's right there on the top left corner of this post)
Playing: Sarah Heart
Real Age: 38
Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1997
Longest game I was involved in: 8 years Word of Darkness game I was GMing at OGMW. It's still there.
Favourite TTRPG: D&D, CofD
Favourite Fandoms: The law obliges me to smile and stay silent.
Currently playing: Quite a few games, actually.
Tends to play: Rogues, really. I do love them. Even my non rogues are roguish.
Does not play: I tried, but failed to play a villain. I'm just not cut to purposefully harm others.
Will rant for an hour about: Wave and smile.

Playing: Samus Fletcher
Real Age: 57
Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1984
Longest game I was involved in: a few years online at OGMW playing Pathfinder
Favorite
TTRPG: AD&D (old school), Pathfinder
Favorite
Fandoms: The law obliges me to smile and stay silent.
Currently playing: This is the only one. I'm trying to get back into playing more.
Tends to play: Samus is an idea I've had for a while, but I don't really have a particular kind of character I like to play over any others.
Does not play: There are types that I have not played, but not because I don't like them. Maybe I'll get around to them someday.
Will rant for an hour about: I don't rant. :D

Playing: Tseren
Real Age: soon to be 49
Been involved in TTRPG Since: 1982
Longest game I was involved in: GM'ed a 10+ yr 1st ed 7th Sea game
Favorite
TTRPG: 1st ed 7th Sea, 3.5 D&D, classic Deadlands, HERO/Champions
Favorite
Fandoms: the band Rush, Doctor Who
Currently playing: a [MEEP]ton of 3.5 PBPs elsewhere.
Tends to play: Rogues/bards/skill monkeys.
Does not play: Wizards. Arcane prep with spellbooks drives me nuts.
Will rant for an hour about: How overrated Steven Moffat was as a showrunner

6 hours ago, RedRajah said:

the band Rush

If you choooose not to decide, you still have made a choice!

I’m very happy that I grew up in a house that had all the Rush albums on CD. I have also wanted to play a campaign where the big bad are the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx, and then hit the party with that song, but it requires finding people who haven’t heard Rush…

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Aspekt said:

If you choooose not to decide, you still have made a choice!

I’m very happy that I grew up in a house that had all the Rush albums on CD. I have also wanted to play a campaign where the big bad are the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx, and then hit the party with that song, but it requires finding people who haven’t heard Rush…

I had a high lvl archivist/bard/ardent dilattente in a 3.5 game inspired by Neil (a "man of Willowdale") who was trying to fight back against the corrupt theocracy of his land based heavily on the Priests of Syrinx before he got unwillingly sent to another plane of existence. Sadly, the game died after a month...

But yes, I'm a HUGE fan. You can even clearly see me headbanging and air guitaring to "Tom Sawyer" on the R40 concert video. Yes, I'm a frizzy haired dork, but I don't care. :)