Interlude

Zen Gypsy

That would be two different instances, for example shadowing a pick pocket, then shadowing his handler. Gathering info from two different bars, or taverns, etc.

Okay, so regardless of other options Iocanu's likely immediate optimal path here would be to let Aquila try an aid roll first, then he attempts his streetwise roll which may or may not have a bonus from Aquila depending on her success. The rest we can return to once we see the results.

Sadly Aquila used her Lore (Underworld) for her 1st check and would be unable to Aid. So did you want to just affix the roll to your last post?

@Keante @Whitehart09 Lira & Carthen, respectively, failed the Check. Reminder that a Hero Point expenditure will change a failure to a success. If you wish to spend a hero point please let me know here.

Thanks!

Once we've determined the result of Iocanu's check, and any Hero Point expenditure, I will give you the 1st phase of your investigations.

33 minutes ago, Zen Gypsy said:
Lira & Carthen, respectively, failed the Check. Reminder that a Hero Point expenditure will change a failure to a success. If you wish to spend a hero point please let me know here.

I would like to spend my Hero Point to succeed on Lira's check, yeah.

Done! Success it is.

One of the reasons I use Hero Points in the manner I do, and grant them so frequently, is because, sometimes, I feel like adventures are written with road blocks. The info behind the locked door is what you need to carry you to Step 2 of the investigation ... so why present an option for failure when you, as the GM, need the players to find the info ...

Another thing that PbtA games have taught me is that a failure on a check doesn't necessarily mean you don't succeed, to me, it just means you succeed with complications ... you open the lock but it makes noise, you find the info, but so-and-so spots you and tails you ... etc ... so don't be afraid of road blocks I try not to do that ...

12 hours ago, Thramzorean said:

Okay, so regardless of other options Iocanu's likely immediate optimal path here would be to let Aquila try an aid roll first, ...

The issue with Aid at low levels is that the DC for Aid is 20 whereas a 'typical' DC by Level is 15 and 16 at 1st/2nd character levels respectively (see: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=554). Of course, those can change situationally, but, I think, the point for us here is that the Task DCs are sufficiently low to make it advantageous for each character to attempt a Task, rather than having to make a DC 20 check for a modest +1 or (barely possible +2).

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Excellent, so the result of Phase 1 are as follows:

• Ionacu; Streetwise (Critical Success; x2)
  • Lira; Intuition (Hero Point; Success)
  • Valerica; Surveillance (Success)
  • Carthen; Shakedown (Failure)
  • Caltrix; Shadowing (Critical Success; x2)
  • Ihrin; Gather Information (Hero Point; Success)
  • Aquila; Streetwise (Hero Point, Success)

So, to summarize, we have eight successes and a singular failure in the 1st phase, so before noon you know the location of Lamm's Lambs operations, and can put eyes on the building itself. I will get a post up describing the information and how you acquired it this evening after work.

I apologize for the delay but yesterday was a loong day. Sorry gang ...

@VennDygrem You are correct, Lore (Underworld) had a lower DC, so the 12 was a success! Also, post is up to discuss next steps, but congratulations you've discovered the hideout. Discuss amongst yourselves, how you wish to proceed. Heading to work, but I can provide a map and such once we confirm you are, physically, on site, and how you wish to observe from there.

Thought I would post a few random ideas that have occurred to me regarding this initial foray: of course, these are only my personal perspective and observations.

• "We do not own the night." Three of our characters have default human vision. The others have Low Light Vision. As far as I know, no one has Darkvision. So some light will be needed one way or another. So a day (overcast) operation is probably better for us compared to a night attack since we don't know whether any of our opponents have Darkvision.
  • I'm inclined to the approach from the warehouse over to A3 depending on whether we would be jumping down from the warehouse to A3 (and how far down). The 5' horizontal jump should work fine via the Leap Action. This would keep the party together, albeit strung out in a line, but we could try that door and/or semi-blocked windows facing south (I'm pretty sure that the top of the map points east as the river runs South-to-North here). We could also potentially have an archer cover from there. We could move to the larger ship if necessary and Caltrix really wants to drop a rock into that skiff and sink it. The fact that it is there has my attention. We could also move to the front (bottom of picture) if so needed.
  • Both In-Player and In-Character, not only are we individually neophyte characters, but it will likely take some time to figure out how we can function best as a team in terms of what our characters can do and just how we tend to work in combat. So I'm thinking that "Keep it Simple" is likely to be our optimal approach until we get used to how our group - as a group - functions.
  • Setting fire to the large vessel has occurred as a tactic, but I'm a bit concerned that there could be Lambs (or other innocents) aboard or simply that we don't know anything regarding what is going on with Lamm's operation here (thus what might be in that ship). Setting fire to it seems overly precipitous to me.

Anyway, just fuel for thought this Friday evening.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

For clarification, the jump over, while only a horizontal distance of 10 feet, has a significant height differential, since the warehouse stands two stories tall. So if you are dropping to the boardwalk, which leads down to the river it would be a ten foot jump jump, BUT, you are looking at a twenty five foot drop onto a boardwalk that looks to be in ill-repair, with worn, barnacle encrusted pilings. A jump from warehouse roof to fishery roof would require a fifteen foot jump, and would still have a drop of fifteen feet.

^ That's unfortunate. Thanks for the clarification though. Caltrix is really bummed: the notion of dropping a large stone or brick down through that skiff really appealed to her sense of mischief! 😄

Btw, hope no one took or takes my comment about vision as being critical. Simply assessing. I'm in two Games (Hyperborea 3E and OSE) where the party are all humans: so torches and torch bearers are most definitely a significant concern.

The rock through the small boat still works, but it will be loud. Also, I find the lack of dark vision refreshing, making lighting matter is more immersive in my opinion.