Questions

Kamishiro_Rin

If you’ve got questions, post’em here!

image.png.6d42c9184c7117b4e2cd5144fa78dcf1.png

PLEASE read the Game Expectations, FIRST! This will often answer almost all of your questions. If your question isn’t answered by the Game Expectations tab, or by looking through the character creation threads provided, then feel free to ask here.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

I’ve got an idea for a wizard. I know the adventure has a hook for a character to join the Mages of High Sorcery. Should my character be someone who wants to join the White Robes, or should I cover his Test of High Sorcery as part of his backstory?

13 hours ago, codexgigas said:

I’ve got an idea for a wizard. I know the adventure has a hook for a character to join the Mages of High Sorcery. Should my character be someone who wants to join the White Robes, or should I cover his Test of High Sorcery as part of his backstory?

We’ve got a black-robe in the party, so you’re not restricted! Since you’ll be level 5, you should already be a member. That doesn’t mean you have to take the background, if you don’t want to. But you will be a member. Up to you which moon.

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer/information myself...

I remember this game recruiting Level 1 characters. I had started an application (Tabitha Fairchilde) but couldn't complete it due to time constraints. But now the game has progressed and applications are Level 5...can I ask what are the circumstances of our character's introduction into the story? Is there a place where I can find a short summary of what has transpired thus far and what of it is common or public knowledge?

5 minutes ago, Glyph said:

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer/information myself...

I remember this game recruiting Level 1 characters. I had started an application (Tabitha Fairchilde) but couldn't complete it due to time constraints. But now the game has progressed and applications are Level 5...can I ask what are the circumstances of our character's introduction into the story? Is there a place where I can find a short summary of what has transpired thus far and what of it is common or public knowledge?

If you'd like, I'll fish Tabitha's app out of the archive and move it over here.

IF the current combat goes well past March 25th, then I might have your character be a rescued prisoner in the fort, otherwise, it's best just to say your character is somehow in Kalaman, and will be introduced to the party by the Kalaman military. If the current combat is going very badly, then you might happen across them and lend a hand. Again, it's kind of up in the air, but the most likely scenario is meeting in Kalaman when they return (Victorious, I hope!)

Summary of events:

The 1st-levelers met one another on the road to Vogler and fought off some mysterious creatures.

In Vogler they were 2nd level and fought in the battle-re-enactment-turned-real-battle of High Hill. Potential point of origin: you're a good member of Ridomir's Ironclad Mercenary Regiment who just got back to Kalaman with her after a very long trek after escaping Vogler's destruction.

The 3rd-level characters recovered from the battle and discovered a huge Red Dragon Army poised to strike! They helped secure the town and get boats ready for the town to evacuate.

The RDA invaded, held back somewhat by Ridomir's Ironclad Regiment, but the futile effort only delayed the inevitable destruction of the town in a towering conflagration with flames so high they were seen miles away. The victory was partially pyrrhic, though, because the party stole their new secret weapon and killed a Major in their army. They also secured the loyalty of a defector lieutenant who turned out to be the long lost inheritor of a barony in Kalaman! What a coincidence!

The party reached Kalaman and helped rescue Tatina Rookledust, who, it turns out, built the secret weapon--she thought she was building a fancy, dragon-shaped weed-clearing machine, not a city-destroying weapon of war.

Now, they've gotten back and were assigned to help secure an outpost that's been taken by the RDA.

If your character is a resident of Kalaman, then they've heard bits and pieces and met a few Vogler refugees who might have regailed them with tails of the party's daring-do.

If your character is an Ironclad Regiment mercenary, then they fought in the battle of Vogler and just arrived in Kalaman. I would ask that a character with this origin be driven to fight to fight the RDA, not wracked with PTSD so badly they can't function. If you're familiar with Band of Brothers, think a lot more Sgt. Spears, and a lot less Private Blythe. Either way, they'll be very familiar with the party and their heroics.

If your character is a Vogler Refugee, again, they should be super motivated to kick the RDA's asses, and they'll be very familiar with the party and their heroics.

If your character is a refugee of the dragon army invasions in the eastern half of the continent, they should similarly be super motivated for revenge. They won't know anything about the party, but like Kalaman residents, they might have met Vogler refugees or Ironclad Reigment members and heard bits and pieces.

7 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

We’ve got a black-robe in the party, so you’re not restricted! Since you’ll be level 5, you should already be a member. That doesn’t mean you have to take the background, if you don’t want to. But you will be a member. Up to you which moon.

Thanks! Someone else jumped in with an abjurer before me, so I’m now deciding whether to pitch a competing wizard or to go with a Kender rogue or Gnome artificer.

8 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

If you'd like, I'll fish Tabitha's app out of the archive and move it over here.

IF the current combat goes well past March 25th, then I might have your character be a rescued prisoner in the fort, otherwise, it's best just to say your character is somehow in Kalaman, and will be introduced to the party by the Kalaman military. If the current combat is going very badly, then you might happen across them and lend a hand. Again, it's kind of up in the air, but the most likely scenario is meeting in Kalaman when they return (Victorious, I hope!)

Summary of events:

The 1st-levelers met one another on the road to Vogler and fought off some mysterious creatures.

In Vogler they were 2nd level and fought in the battle-re-enactment-turned-real-battle of High Hill. Potential point of origin: you're a good member of Ridomir's Ironclad Mercenary Regiment who just got back to Kalaman with her after a very long trek after escaping Vogler's destruction.

The 3rd-level characters recovered from the battle and discovered a huge Red Dragon Army poised to strike! They helped secure the town and get boats ready for the town to evacuate.

The RDA invaded, held back somewhat by Ridomir's Ironclad Regiment, but the futile effort only delayed the inevitable destruction of the town in a towering conflagration with flames so high they were seen miles away. The victory was partially pyrrhic, though, because the party stole their new secret weapon and killed a Major in their army. They also secured the loyalty of a defector lieutenant who turned out to be the long lost inheritor of a barony in Kalaman! What a coincidence!

The party reached Kalaman and helped rescue Tatina Rookledust, who, it turns out, built the secret weapon--she thought she was building a fancy, dragon-shaped weed-clearing machine, not a city-destroying weapon of war.

Now, they've gotten back and were assigned to help secure an outpost that's been taken by the RDA.

If your character is a resident of Kalaman, then they've heard bits and pieces and met a few Vogler refugees who might have regailed them with tails of the party's daring-do.

If your character is an Ironclad Regiment mercenary, then they fought in the battle of Vogler and just arrived in Kalaman. I would ask that a character with this origin be driven to fight to fight the RDA, not wracked with PTSD so badly they can't function. If you're familiar with Band of Brothers, think a lot more Sgt. Spears, and a lot less Private Blythe. Either way, they'll be very familiar with the party and their heroics.

If your character is a Vogler Refugee, again, they should be super motivated to kick the RDA's asses, and they'll be very familiar with the party and their heroics.

If your character is a refugee of the dragon army invasions in the eastern half of the continent, they should similarly be super motivated for revenge. They won't know anything about the party, but like Kalaman residents, they might have met Vogler refugees or Ironclad Reigment members and heard bits and pieces.

Yeah if you could fish her application out of the Archives, that would be great.

Regarding Tab's background...well she's an infiltrator and scout, so I can imagine her being one for the Ironclad Regiment. Do you have some information about the mercenary company...or point me to where I can read more about them?

12 hours ago, Glyph said:

Yeah if you could fish her application out of the Archives, that would be great.

Regarding Tab's background...well she's an infiltrator and scout, so I can imagine her being one for the Ironclad Regiment. Do you have some information about the mercenary company...or point me to where I can read more about them?

I've moved it for you.

Ridomir “Cudgel” Ironsmile is a female dwarf who founded the Ironclad Regiment, a mercenary company, after she stopped adventuring with Ispin Greenshield and Dame Becklin uth Viharin. Their number was approximately 300.

She had two Lieutenants, Jeyev Veldrews (human male) and Gragonis (half-ogre). Both of them, and a handful of Ironclads, betrayed the Regiment and the people of Vogler. The party killed Gragonis at the climax of the Battle of High Hill, and Jeyev managed to trick the party up until he tried to kill the RDA lieutenant they captured before she could become a liability for the RDA.

When the RDA attacked Vogler, the remaining 250-or-so loyal Ironclad mercenaries bravely delayed and stymied an invading force of 1,700+ RDA soldiers and monster. During the invasion, though they ultimately proved to be little more than a speed bump.

When the party got back to Kalaman with Tatina Rookledust, they learned that Cudgel and the last remnants of the Ironclad Regiment (now numbering in the 10s—maybe about 45 to 50 left, total) made their way over a long trek through the wilderness to get to Kalaman. The party was of course overjoyed to see Cudgel alive, but sad that she seems worn and broken by the events of the last several days. Those last Ironclads, along with Cudgel, have been accepted into the Kalaman military. Although there are enough of you to form a platoon of your own, the Kalaman military would much rather filter them through out the ranks as experienced, blooded veterans of who have actually fought the RDA, so they can impart their experience to as many of the largely inexperienced—if still well-trained—Kalaman soldiery.

If you do decide to go this route, we’ll probably say that they introduce you to the party and attach you to them as a special unit that gets certain work done.

That of course, can come if you’ve been accepted into the game.

@Kamishiro_Rin I've got most of my application done except for the inventory. Before I start working on it, I wondered if you'd be open to swapping out another proficiency for proficiency with a hoopak. It's a martial weapon, which means that rogues aren't proficient with it, and Kender don't get a racial proficiency. If possible, I'd like to swap one of the other martial weapons rogues get proficiency with (hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, or shortsword). I'm fine using gold to purchase it, rather than getting it as starting equipment.

2 hours ago, codexgigas said:

@Kamishiro_Rin I've got most of my application done except for the inventory. Before I start working on it, I wondered if you'd be open to swapping out another proficiency for proficiency with a hoopak. It's a martial weapon, which means that rogues aren't proficient with it, and Kender don't get a racial proficiency. If possible, I'd like to swap one of the other martial weapons rogues get proficiency with (hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, or shortsword). I'm fine using gold to purchase it, rather than getting it as starting equipment.

I don't mind swapping a like-for-like proficiency, i.e., a weapon for a weapon, a skill for a skill, a tool for a tool, language for a language, etc.

@Kamishiro_Rin you mentioned refugees from the east, and digging through the game info on the Dragon Army activity I was thinking Nordmaar might be a good place to be from. Are there any towns or settlements it would be unlikely to have survivors escaping from or anything like that?

2 hours ago, BuyCrom said:

@Kamishiro_Rin you mentioned refugees from the east, and digging through the game info on the Dragon Army activity I was thinking Nordmaar might be a good place to be from. Are there any towns or settlements it would be unlikely to have survivors escaping from or anything like that?

Most likely, you'd have been from one of those western coastal cities in the northern half of Nordmaar, where refugees fleeing first northward could forewarn you of the blitzkrieg of dragon invasions by the Red and Green Dragon Armies. However, the module treats these invasions as having been so fast that there really is only just rumors of the war filtering west. Perhaps from Haant, Pentar, or Jotan, you and a small group managed to get out to sea under the cover of night and got far enough away to evade their patrols. This isn't going to be a large community of refugees, more like a very VERY small group numbering at most 10 that have escaped, and even then, fairly recently. Perhaps the last couple of weeks or so.

On 3/11/2024 at 10:26 PM, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I don't mind swapping a like-for-like proficiency, i.e., a weapon for a weapon, a skill for a skill, a tool for a tool, language for a language, etc.

I am in the process of making an application and wonder if you're okay with the Tasha's Cauldron rules about swapping out proficiency. For instance, I had an idea of an elven merchant that has more proficiency with artisan tools than weapons. Is that alright with you and if so how should I do that? One for one per weapon or all the weapon training for a smaller number of artisan tools?

20 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Most likely, you'd have been from one of those western coastal cities in the northern half of Nordmaar, where refugees fleeing first northward could forewarn you of the blitzkrieg of dragon invasions by the Red and Green Dragon Armies. However, the module treats these invasions as having been so fast that there really is only just rumors of the war filtering west. Perhaps from Haant, Pentar, or Jotan, you and a small group managed to get out to sea under the cover of night and got far enough away to evade their patrols. This isn't going to be a large community of refugees, more like a very VERY small group numbering at most 10 that have escaped, and even then, fairly recently. Perhaps the last couple of weeks or so.

This also is something I'd be interested to explore. I haven't read all of the extra details across the pages of your game here, but could I have someone who's been captured by one of the Dragon Armies before and was forced to work with them on things like translations or counter-spy work? I have a bit of a linguist theme going, so the I liked the idea of someone whom was basically forced to translate stolen and otherwise coded messages for the enemy side, but have broken away so that they can start fighting back. I will have a mock-up post soon to be looked over, and I can pivot if that idea wouldn't work out for this game.

Can you use your starting funds to buy uncommon magic items? There was a reference to consumable magic items, but I wasn't sure if something like a cloak of protection was allowed. The table in Xanathar's says they are 1d6 x 100 gp each. If allowed, and you happen to roll more than you can afford, can you just try for another item knowing that one is unaffordable right now?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

I am in the process of making an application and wonder if you're okay with the Tasha's Cauldron rules about swapping out proficiency. For instance, I had an idea of an elven merchant that has more proficiency with artisan tools than weapons. Is that alright with you and if so how should I do that? One for one per weapon or all the weapon training for a smaller number of artisan tools?

I'd say because weapons are weird in how they're categorized, you'd have to give up your elven weapon training for a tool proficiency.

Which reminds me . . .

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, codexgigas said:

Looking at the Hoopak, it's got both a ranged, and finesse properties. Would you be willing to lose both the hand-crossbow and the rapier to gain the Hoopak?

19 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

This also is something I'd be interested to explore. I haven't read all of the extra details across the pages of your game here, but could I have someone who's been captured by one of the Dragon Armies before and was forced to work with them on things like translations or counter-spy work? I have a bit of a linguist theme going, so the I liked the idea of someone whom was basically forced to translate stolen and otherwise coded messages for the enemy side, but have broken away so that they can start fighting back. I will have a mock-up post soon to be looked over, and I can pivot if that idea wouldn't work out for this game.

As a hobbyist linguist--who almost had enough credits to get a minor in it--You said a magic word!

I like the idea. And it works well for both a prisoner in the fort they're currently attacking (if they open it sooner rather than later), or someone who's just gotten into Kalaman not too long ago.

18 hours ago, Shadeus said:

Can you use your starting funds to buy uncommon magic items? There was a reference to consumable magic items, but I wasn't sure if something like a cloak of protection was allowed. The table in Xanathar's says they are 1d6 x 100 gp each. If allowed, and you happen to roll more than you can afford, can you just try for another item knowing that one is unaffordable right now?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I would prefer that you stick with consumables. You'll be starting with an uncommon magic item already. You're free to spend what you can on any non-magical item you can afford, of course, but for magic: consumables only, please. This is mainly to benefit wizards, who need scrolls to add extra spells to their spellbooks, but anyone who wants scrolls that their class would allow them to cast, or potions, that's perfectly fine, too.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)