Questions

Kamishiro_Rin

16 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:
I would prefer that you stick with consumables. You'll be starting with an uncommon magic item already. You're free to spend what you can on any non-magical item you can afford, of course, but for magic: consumables only, please. This is mainly to benefit wizards, who need scrolls to add extra spells to their spellbooks, but anyone who wants scrolls that their class would allow them to cast, or potions, that's perfectly fine, too.

If you purchase scrolls with starting gold, can you add them to your wizard's spellbook retroactively? (assuming you also pay for the inks and components necessary to add the spells)

25 minutes ago, morgan_ said:

If you purchase scrolls with starting gold, can you add them to your wizard's spellbook retroactively? (assuming you also pay for the inks and components necessary to add the spells)

Yes. I assume that as a 5th-level character, you've already done some adventuring and not only have the spells that merely leveling-up allots you, but also have either bought or come across scrolls (doesn't matter, the starting gold represents the value of that), so you'll need to budget the cost of the scroll and the cost of the inks to write it into your spellbook.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:47 AM, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I like the idea. And it works well for both a prisoner in the fort they're currently attacking (if they open it sooner rather than later), or someone who's just gotten into Kalaman not too long ago.

Glad I sparked some interest in the person running this, but I am curious now how I should phrase my own plothook/origin/background sections. I'll admit that for the last two. Also, is anyone else here having strange issues trying to read their applications/posts? I have had the page load up and not allow me to see the edit button, and another time the edit button doesn't even show the post when I go to edit it.

7 hours ago, RagallachMC said:

I didn't see Ghosts of Saltmarsh as one of the approved books under Game Expectations. I just wanted to use the Smuggler background from that book. Is that cool?

Yes, that's fine. If a book wasn't listed, I had a reason, but it's not occurring to me at the moment--it was a year ago! I'll have a look through the book again to see if there's something in there that made me say, "Nope! Not this one!"

11 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

Glad I sparked some interest in the person running this, but I am curious now how I should phrase my own plothook/origin/background sections. I'll admit that for the last two. Also, is anyone else here having strange issues trying to read their applications/posts? I have had the page load up and not allow me to see the edit button, and another time the edit button doesn't even show the post when I go to edit it.

Origin & Background were in Gregorotto's original app template that I brazenly stole (with his blessing, of course).

As a refugee from the east, you've reached the harbor of Kalaman and were processed by the city guard. It might even be better if you arrived literally yesterday. It would do a lot to explain why no one's heard of you before that.

You would have then told them what you can do and how you can help, as well as indicated your willingness to help. When word of your skills reached Marshal Vendri, she'll take a personal interest in you and introduce you to the party at their earliest convenience.

Again, depending on how re-taking Wheelwatch Outpost goes, it might be better to have you be a prisoner in the fort--in which case, you snuck westward until you were caught.

14 hours ago, RagallachMC said:

I didn't see Ghosts of Saltmarsh as one of the approved books under Game Expectations. I just wanted to use the Smuggler background from that book. Is that cool?

I literally have NO clue as to why I didn't allow it before. I can't find a single race, background, class/subclass, spell, item, or feat from it that would offend my sensibilities, so . . . uh . . . yeah. Anyway, I've added it into the list in Game Expectations. Thanks for the catch.

How do you feel about Dust of DisappearanceWondrous item, uncommon

Found in a small packet, this powder resembles very fine sand. There is enough of it for one use. When you use an action to throw the dust into the air, you and each creature and object within 10 feet of you become invisible for 2d4 minutes. The duration is the same for all subjects, and the dust is consumed when its magic takes effect. If a creature affected by the dust attacks or casts a spell, the invisibility ends for that creature.
or Pixie DustWondrous Item, Uncommon

As an action, you can sprinkle this dust on yourself or another creature you can see within 5 feet of you. The recipient gains a flying speed of 30 feet and the ability to hover for 1 minute. If the creature is airborne when this effect ends, it falls safely to the ground, taking no damage and landing on its feet.

A small packet holds enough pixie dust for one use.
as a consumable magic item? While they aren't potions or scrolls, they are definitely one-use items.

5 hours ago, Shadeus said:

How do you feel about Dust of Disappearance or Pixie Dust as a consumable magic item? While they aren't potions or scrolls, they are definitely one-use items.

Oh, those are fine! You remind me that there are other consumable magic items that aren't potions or scrolls. I'll add those to the list.

So I am pretty sure the only things left for me to do for my PC is the rumors and inventory (and a picture), but to that end, I am curious about spell scrolls.

Am I able to purchase a scroll for Find Familiar and/or Find Steed and just have that on hand? I couldn't find anything in the normal game rules, or this game's rules regarding spells outside one's spell list.

Edit: I also did see the roll needed to determine the price of some scrolls, so I was didn't want to roll ahead of confirmation.

Edit: Also, Can I get a pre-game ruling on how magical abilities to breathe water interact with alcohol? I might have an interesting idea of how I could be introduced.

Edited by TheRedGoat (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

So I am pretty sure the only things left for me to do for my PC is the rumors and inventory (and a picture), but to that end, I am curious about spell scrolls.

Am I able to purchase a scroll for Find Familiar and/or Find Steed and just have that on hand? I couldn't find anything in the normal game rules, or this game's rules regarding spells outside one's spell list.

Edit: I also did see the roll needed to determine the price of some scrolls, so I was didn't want to roll ahead of confirmation.

Edit: Also, Can I get a pre-game ruling on how magical abilities to breathe water interact with alcohol? I might have an interesting idea of how I could be introduced.

As per normal game rules, you may use a scroll for any spell that appears on your spell list, but not for any spell that doesn't. That doesn't mean you can't waste money purchasing one; you just can't use it. Who am I to stop you from purchasing them? If you want to give them to players who can use them, by all means.

You may breath water. Alcohol kills living organisms. A magic spell that lets you breath water does not let you breath alcohol. Or lava. Or any other liquid.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

As per normal game rules, you may use a scroll for any spell that appears on your spell list, but not for any spell that doesn't. That doesn't mean you can't waste money purchasing one; you just can't use it. Who am I to stop you from purchasing them? If you want to give them to players who can use them, by all means.

You may breath water. Alcohol kills living organisms. A magic spell that lets you breath water does not let you breath alcohol. Or lava. Or any other liquid.

Ah, well there goes the "hiding in the wine barrel" of exfiltration. Also it may be for the best on the spell scrolls.

I will make some final adjustments for the items to be purchased, but also should I just pretend my PC is there for the sake of RPing in the character thread despite the mention that I might be found elsewhere? Should I just message privately for that?

1 hour ago, TheRedGoat said:

Ah, well there goes the "hiding in the wine barrel" of exfiltration. Also it may be for the best on the spell scrolls.

I will make some final adjustments for the items to be purchased, but also should I just pretend my PC is there for the sake of RPing in the character thread despite the mention that I might be found elsewhere? Should I just message privately for that?

For now, you should assume that you're in Kalaman, now. It looks like the party is going to sweep up the fort a little faster than I though.