Chapter 4: Still in the Dark

Eagleheart

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

Arionne scrambled to regain her footing, surprised her errant blow drew blood.

Finding her stance, she turned away from the first creature to meet the charge of the second, catching its mandibles upon her gleaming mitheral bracers. With a shout she pushed it off of her, her own armament snaking around to encircle it from behind. She made a fist, and a tight jerking gesture as if pulling on invisible strings, and the obsidian chain ground into the thing's back with deadly effect.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1-2:  Elemental Blasts at #2 with Agile - Slashing spacer.png

Action 2-3: Elemental Blasts at #2 with Agile - Slashing spacer.png

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
2-Action Agile - Slashing - Elemental Blast
24; 13
1d20+9;1d8+7 [15]; [15,6]
1-Action Agile - Slashing - Elemental Blast
13; 7
1d20+4;1d8+3 [9]; [9,4]

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe tixitog hisses at Arionne and scuttles up along the eastern wall, analyzing its would-be prey. It sees Verjigorm on Vharag's shoulder and its long tongue lashes out, trying to pull the dragon-shaped morsel into its mouth. It fails, and you quickly finish it off.

Searching what's left of the tixitogs' prey, you find two dead gnomes. Both have rune-enhanced gear, which is still on their bodies and still in usable condition.

Renali gives Baldric a nod and continues to listen for a moment, then says "Sounds like they fought the tixitogs... and won. Huh. Strong folk around here."

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +11 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: CantripsDaze
Figment
Read the Air
Shield
Telekinetic Hand

Usable At-Will
| Rank 1Command
Fear (Muse bonus)
Gravitational Pull
Soothe {S}

Spell Slots: 3/3
| Rank 2Dispel Magic {S}
Invisibility

Spell Slots: 2/2
| Spell DC: 19

Conditions: N/A | Effects: N/A

Baldric's brow turns from furrowed to raised, the surprise evident in his face before he settles for a pleased demeanor.

"Well, then! If they're enemies of the foul creatures plaguing this place, they're likely allies to us. Strong friends may see us getting out of here and accomplishing our goals. Still... we ought to remain cautious rather than give ourselves away so quick. I say we stick to the shadows, get our eyes on them, and see what they're about."

He flashes a wide grin.

"Then we can introduce ourselves."

The House Rules say we can roll our own secret checks if we want, and this is fairly low stakes so I'm going to roll Stealth myself this time. But since this post's content is hidden, I'll label it more vaguely.

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Secret Roll
1d20+9 18

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 16(18) | HIT POINTS: 39 | CURRENT: 39 | HERO POINTS: 1 0

FORTITUDE: +8 | REFLEX: +6 | WILL: +11 | PERCEPTION: +6

FOCUS POINTS: 1 | CURRENT: 1 | SPELL SLOTS:  1st: 4/4 | 2nd: 2/3

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: Immunity (Guidance)

As Vharag inspected the enchanted gear from the fallen gnomes, Verjigorm, slithered down his robes, sniffed eagerly at the air, its gaze darting to the bodies with a gleam of interest. "Verjigorm hungers." the creature hissed, eyeing the gnomes with a mix of curiosity and hunger. Vharag cast a stern glance at Verjigorm, his expression firm. "Not this day," he grumbled in orcish, his voice low and authoritative. "These fallen deserve our respect, not our appetite."

Respecting his companion’s wishes, albeit reluctantly, Verjigorm backed away, settling on Vharag’s broad shoulder with a slight huff. Vharag then bowed his head, uttering a prayer in his gruff, solemn tone to honor the gnomes—a prayer that spoke of journeys ended and battles bravely fought.

Once the moment of reverence passed, Vharag turned to Verjigorm, his tone shifting to one of practicality. "We need to find Voz. Can you still smell her elf-blood?" he asked, his voice cutting through the silence of the aftermath. Verjigorm twitched its slender head, its nostrils flaring as it sampled the air.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Name
Verjigorm [Seek; Scent (Imprecise)]
1d20+7 10

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngVerjigorm makes a quiet rumbling sound. "I smell elf-blood, but not hers. Another elf ... very close." Its snout points toward the narrow passageway that leads to the east.

Renali nods, but she seems a little hesitant, even as Baldric easily slips into the darkness. She goes along with him, but not before casting an invisibility spell on herself.

Name
Don't worry about it :)
drop(2d20,lowest)+10 19,15

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 3
HP: 41/41 | AC: 20 | Perc +7 | Fort +9 | Ref +11 | Will +11 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

Syhlas is stunned for a moment as Arionne and Mathilde finish off the two spider creatures. He is especially impressed by how the Iomedaean uses her rapier. They should spar against each other when they get some time as she can definitely teach him a few moves and tricks.

He looks at the dead gnomes and pays them a quick prayer of respect. There is nothing they can do for them now, perhaps later.
"Another elf, you say?" Syhlas turns towards Vharag and his strange familiar. Then he looks in the direction Verjigorm indicates. "Let's go check that. Could be a companion of Voz."

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

AC: 16 (18) | HIT POINTS: 39 | CURRENT: 39 | HERO POINTS: 0

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Exploration (Defend)

Vharag nodded in agreement with Syhlas's suggestion. "A companion of Voz, or perhaps someone with their own agenda," he murmured, his mind already calculating the possibilities.

Turning to Verjigorm, he spoke in a low, steady tone. "Lead the way," he instructed his familiar, his voice carrying an air of authority mixed with cautious anticipation.

Verjigorm, ever perceptive, twitched its head in acknowledgment before slithering down from Vharag's shoulder and onto the cavern floor. With a sinuous motion, it began to move towards the elf-scent, its keen senses guiding the party through the winding passageways of the cavern.

Vharag followed closely behind, his grip firm on his staff, his shield at the ready, his senses alert for any sign of danger or the elusive presence of another elf. Whatever awaited them in the shadows, Vharag was determined to face it head-on.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | Fort +7 Ref +11 Will +11 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

From out of the nearby passageway, a man emerges, tentatively, with his hands held up. The man's pointed ears indicate elven heritage, though his graying hair and stubble betray a human influence. The half-elven man is dressed in light armor as well as traveling clothes suited more for a noble than than someone skulking about among mercenaries and cultists.

With his hands in plain view, he slowly spins around to show he has nothing to hide. Strapped to his back is a quiver full of arrows, some sort of strangely-shaped walking stick, and what appears to be a guitar of some sort, though its body is shaped more like that of a lute.

"Please, do forgive my abrupt entrance, but I could hear you and your small lizard friend discussing what I can only presume is my blood, which I would very much like to keep inside my body. You see, I've been trapped in this place for some hours thanks to my less-than-gracious hosts, but I could hear that you've shown them that the party is over. You don't seem to be in league with them, in any case, so I'm taking a strategic gamble on revealing myself now."

The man keeps his hands in the air as he speaks, though whether this is more a gesture of good-faith or a means of quickly retrieving the staff-like weapon strapped to his back, the truth remains to be seen.

"I am Lord Baldric Banniston, Baron-in-Exile, Commander of the Pentrose Regulars, and a host of other sobriquets that need not be mentioned. I was exploring this area for information on a set of portals known as Alseta's Ring when I was harried by these bewildering cultists. I believe I only avoided an untimely demise thanks to some fortunate aid. She's around here somewhere, though I dare say her caution is well-deserved."

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: (21) | health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

Arionne had taken the lead, following just behind Verjigorm.  She stared intently at the creature, fascinated as she always was by all things Draconic. From legends in books and tomes, to the skittering familiar sniffing out their mark before her, she could not help but be drawn in.  Thus it was that she was near the front when they came upon Baldric.  In truth, she was not sure if they were upon the Elf, or if the Elf was upon them. They'd been on his trail, so she wasn't surprised when he stepped forward, but those who knew her well saw the positioning of her feet and knew that she stood ready to launch into an attack should he present himself as a threat. 

"Well met, Lord Baldric Banniston, Baron-in-Exile, Commander of the Pentrose Regulars. I am Arione Amata, a scholar of Breachill, and these are my companions, I will let them introduce themselves. If I might ask though, who is this "she" you speak of?"

To any with the eyes for such distinctions, she was clearly of Chelish stock, rather than being born of Breachill like she'd suggested. Her features were cold and sharp, though she wore them in a polite mask rather than a haughty smirk or angry snarl. Her style was distinctly of Cheliax as well, a blood red arming jacket and matching skirt, though the heavy shawl in black, grey, and lilac wrapped about her shoulders might have been found adorning any Isgeri woman. It lacked the glass beads one might expect, but when pulled into a cowl would allow her to easily pass herself off as a local.  What decidedly wasn't Chelish were the ruddy scales that seemed to emerge from beneath her skin along her cheekbones and at her brow, witch matching scales along the knuckles and backs of her hands. They gave her a distinctly alien appearance, but one that she didn't shy away from in this place. 

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1-2:  Elemental Blasts at #2 with Agile - Slashing spacer.png

Action 2-3: Elemental Blasts at #2 with Agile - Slashing spacer.png

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
Society
1d20+7 14

AC: 16 (18) | HIT POINTS: 39 | CURRENT: 39 | HERO POINTS: 0

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Exploration (Defend)

The broad shouldered orc, maintaining a posture that spoke of caution, narrowed his eyes slightly at the newcomer. His voice carried the tone of challenge.

"Baldric," Vharag intoned, purposefully leaving off the newcomer's honorifics, his voice low and somewhat wary. "I am Vharag, shaman of the Shattered Skulls. This," he gestured towards Verjigorm, whose eyes gleamed with an otherworldly light, "is Verjigorm, an emissary of the Darkness between Stars."

His stance, grounded and ready, mirrored the defensive posture of one well-versed in the dangers of both beast and man. "You speak of being aided amidst these darkened halls. Know that trust is earned where I walk, and not given lightly. Reveal this ally of yours—her nature, her purpose. Where hides she now?"

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 3
HP: 36/41 | AC: 20 | Perception: +9 | Fort: +11 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 10/12

Matilde had fallen behind a little, as she was trying to shake clean the length of her rapier, a little startled at how deepy the much lighter weapon had penetrated, and how much gore it had pulled out in the process. Resisting the urge to try and wipe it down on some of her uniform, she glanced around to notice the others heading away, and grumbled briefly under her breath until she got there and realized they were having a discussion with an unfamiliar individual that did not sound like Voz.

"Oh, we are doing introductions? Ah...Matilde of Breachill. I serve Iomedae and...that's it, I guess." She blushes, a little flustered at the lack of any kind of order she was part of currently that she might indicate, though perhaps the colouring was hidden by her auburn locks. The strapping young lass stood there in her gilded armour that was blazoned by a tabard that indicated the emblems of her faith, patiently waiting for the explanation Arionne and Vharag had requested.

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngYou hear a sigh coming from beside Baldric. Then, the air ripples as the half-elf's companion dismisses her invisibility spell, revealing a dark-skinned woman with long braided hair.

"Hello," she grumbles, "my name is Renali. Baldric and I have been stuck for a while between the Cinderclaws and those Bloody Blade ruffians ... so you'll forgive me if I'm a bit on edge."

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 3
HP: 41/41 | AC: 20 | Perc +7 | Fort +9 | Ref +11 | Will +11 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

Syhlas is normally not the suspicious kind of person but after the recent events he takes a more reserved position when Baldric appears and then a few moments later is joined by a woman with very long braided hair. He lowers his weapons when the others start to introduce themselves and his strained facial expression cracks up in a smile that is more usual to him. He even sheathes his shortsword as he takes a few steps forward to greet them.

"My Lord!" He bows at the half-elf "My Lady!" He turns towards Renali and looks very impressed at her long hair.
"We are all on edge I guess. My name is Syhlas Yaeder, bane of House Thrune and vagabond extraordinaire." He overempthasizes his introduction without actually knowing why. It just feels like something he has wanted to say for a while.

"So you are here looking for the portals, but you don't know an elf named Voz?" There is a smidge of suspicion in his question but he also wants to check if they might have seen her in here.

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

As more and more of the party introduces themselves, Baldric seems put at ease, although anyone who knows him would not find that to be a terrible difficulty for him. His smiles broadens as he takes a deep, extravagant bow before each of the party members.

"Lords and Ladies, indeed! Arionne Amata of Breachill, Vharag of the Shattered Skulls, my Lord Verjigorm, Matilde of Breachill, and Syhlas Yaeder, Bane of Thrune! This is a precipitous meeting! Yes, Ms. Renali, here, quite saved my bacon not very long ago. I may have decades of military experience, but no man is an army unto his own. As for her purpose, my Lord Vharag, well I do not presume to speak for the Lady. She discovered me here, and is not under my command."

Confident that he is not under immediate threat of attack, the half-elf lowers his hands.

"I don't know any 'Voz,' sadly. I take it they are central to your own presence here?"

I'll reserve Baldric's personal questions for party members until later. Based on the conversation, he seems intrigued by Arionne's obvious Chelish ties, Sylhas's stated opposition to Thrune, and Matilde's service to Iomedae. He shows appropriate deference to Vharag, as well, as he knows better than to get on an Orc's bad side... even one as well-spoken and composed as this.

Active Conditions:

Syhlas nods at Baldric as the half-elf bard speaks.
"Yes you could say that. We work for the Town Council of Breachill and Voz has comitted some serious crimes against citizens of that town so we are here to bring her to see justice." His face wrinkles in a strange grimace and the rogue looks sideways at Arionne and Mathilde before adding. "Or just kill her."

"We have heard about the portals as well and we have an interest in finding out more about them. What do you know about that? And those Cinderclaws."

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3: