Chapter 4: Still in the Dark

Eagleheart

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

(22) | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +9 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

Arionne watched the Orc strike down their foe with eldritch flame, hearing his boast and not needing to challenge it. Considering the effectiveness with which he wielded the searing heat, he'd left her little room to argue. She was pale from the ravages of the dark magic, even paler than normal, and it took a considerable amount of attention to bring her back to being whole and hale.

Her eyes remained locked on Renali as she searched the body, inching forward when the Spider-woman found the token.

"What is your intent with the Key now, Renali?"

She asked, her voice betraying little of the tension she was feeling.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:  

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain
  • Thermal NimbusFire Impulse Kineticist Primal Stance spacer.png resistance 4 and damage 2 within aura  

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 4
HP: 41/52 | AC: 21 | Perception: +10 | Fort: +12 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 8/12
Matilde grits her teeth as more magic washed over her way from the creature's last desperate spell...but apparently, putting Iomedae's blazoned symbol before it just punted the harmful magic away, leaving her marveling at the latest instance of her goddess actually affirming that she had indeed received their blessing. Even as she tucks her blade away, she focuses on tending to her companions, though she idly listened in on Arionne's brusque inquiry as to why their new acquaintance desired the portal key...apart from as a way home, which struck Matilde as the most straightforward reason.

Edited by crazncanuck (see edit history)
Name
Fort Save
1d20+11 20

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngSensing Arionne's tension, Renali says "Hey, you can have this if you don't trust me with it." She shrugs and offers the key to Arionne. "I just want to go home. But there are others who will want it... sounds like your 'Voz' is one of them, and I bet she's waiting for us at the Ring itself. We better tread carefully."

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Renali Perception
1d20+12 14

(22) | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +9 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

Arionne tried not to let the relief show as her fingers wrapped around the keystone.

"Ah, I've given offense. My apologies."

She always retreated into politeness and formal etiquette in such confrontations. It was the mask she wore to cover up her own fears and pains, the discipline instilled in her by the savage beatings of the rod and the scourging taste of the whip by the Sisters of the Golden Erinyes. She wore it like armor, as strong as the scales that emerged from her cheeks, forehead, and along her arms, legs, and body beneath her robes. 

Had the scales become darker? They'd been a ruddy red before. Now though, now they were more akin to the chains of obsidian she summoned so easily. A subtle change, and one she evidently hadn't noted, but a change. Perhaps a lingering after effect of the negative energy which had savaged her. However, her mind wasn't on that, it was on the Gates, and the potential they represented. 

"I will admit that the revelation that these Elfgates are still here, and still function, has ignited the fires that burn within my scholar's mind. I wish to see the great libraries of the world, and if the network of Elfgates still functions?"

She let out a little shiver of anticipation, but then gestured to the dead body of Malarunk.

"But we've already seen the danger they can pose as well, and we don't even know what this Balmazog is.  Let's remove the threat first, and then you can decide if you wish to continue traveling with us or just wish to go home. There is only the matter of this Gauntlet. Powerful sorceries, you say? Who among you wishes to wield it?"

She had no use for such an implement. 

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:  

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Thermal Nimbus spacer.png resistance 4 and damage 2 within aura  

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 48/48 | AC 21 | Fort +8 Ref +12 Will +13 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +9
Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 20

Conditions: N/A | Effects: Bravo's Brew (just shy of an hour); Marshal's Aura [10 ft.]

Baldric sits up, his head swimming with disorientation. With his physical wounds being tended to, there remains one thing still wounded: his pride.

"I'm afraid I was ill-prepared to combat this foe today... My apologies, I did not mean to become a burden upon you all. Yet it stands to prove the importance of these aiudara, and I am resolved to learn about and protect them all the more. To let their power fall to such dark intents as these would be a grave misstep. If this 'Voz' is after them, and if they are aligned with these creatures... well, we simply must put a stop to her. Possibly this 'Belmazog' as well."

Once he has sufficiently rested, Baldric tentatively stands with the aid of his staff, brushing off the dust from his clothing.

N/A

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpeg

Syhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 4
HP: 52/52 | AC: 21 | Perc +8 | Fort +11 | Ref +12 | Will +12 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

As the charau-ka leader falls to Vharag's fiery spell, Syhlas drops down on the floor as well leaning himself against the tunnel wall exhausted and injured. He sits down in silence for a long time with his weapons next to him. Only when Matilde comes to take a look at his wounds he finally starts to get his awareness of the surroundings back again. He lets the Iomedaean treat him and help him back to his feet.

"Thank you Matilde. Once again. This was close wasn't it? How is that pointy-eared braggart doing? I heard him scream in pain and fall silent a couple of times, in between his rants." Syhlas looks around to see how everyone is doing and is happy to see that everyone seems okey.

He had not been listening to the conversation for the last few minutes but he can see that Renali and Arionne have some heated discussion over a small object. Then he hears the bard. "You are damn right you were ill-prepared Lord Baron. I would say you were rather pathetic. But I'm willing to give you a second chance to prove yourself." He smiles mischieviously at Baldric and gives him a wink to let him know he is just joking with him. Then he turns towards Vharag. "You however, I'm happy we found you and released you from those mercenaries. Well done!"

"So where to next? Belmazog you said? Sounds exotic."

Edited by Bearlord (see edit history)

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 17 | HIT POINTS: 48 | CURRENT: 48 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +9 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +12 | PERCEPTION: +7

FOCUS POINTS: 2 | CURRENT: 2 | SPELL SLOTS [ARCANE]:  1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 3/4 | SPELL SLOTS [OCCULT]: 1st: 1/1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.

Standing among the charred remnants of their foe, Vharag's attention shifts between the gauntlet and the ornate arrowhead, his orcish voice rough and commanding in the cavern's silence. "This key," he says, nodding towards the object in Arionne’s grip, "it’s not just some trinket—it’s a gateway to powers and secrets lost to time. These aiudara, they're more than pathways; they're vaults of ancient knowledge. We need to study this key, to unlock its secrets. That knowledge could crush our enemies like Voz or this Belmazog."

Turning to the matter of their foes, his tone grows even graver. “We need to scout out this Voz and Belmazog—figure out their schemes, their weaknesses. Charging in blind is like hunting a bear with a stick.” After a brief nod to Syhlas’s comment, he concludes, “We fought hard today. But bravery isn't enough." He looked to Baldric, "Now, we regroup, we study, we strengthen. Every gate we step through could lead to wonders or to death. We must be ready for both.” Vharag’s mind raced with the promise of uncovering ancient secrets, arcane rites, old enough, powerful enough, to unite his tribe, protect them from the corruption of Lamashtu.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 4
HP: 52/52 | AC: 21 | Perception: +10 | Fort: +12 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 8/12
Matilde smiles at Syhlas, happy at the appreciation, and perhaps in a better mood in general after coming through the last battles relatively unmarked, though it still puzzled her how she might be doing so keenly with the unfamiliar and still rather absurdly light blade. She shake her head when the gauntlet is offered up. Perhaps as a back up weapon...but she already had her shield for that, and it rather clashed in somewhat unsightly fashion with the rest of her armour and wardrobe, at that. "I am all for regrouping, but do we have the time for much study or reflection? How far is the Ring from here, and what sort of danger might Voz cause with it? Does our possession of this key prevent further harm being caused at this time?"

spacer.png"Belmazog is a person, not a place," says Renali. "They're one of the cult's leaders on the other side. I don't know much about them, but I know they're extremely dangerous."

Analyzing the arrowhead, Vharag can sense that it has great dormant power - but he can also tell that it's just one part of a greater whole. After all, what is a key without a door to open?

"The Ring is just up ahead," says Renali. "I don't know anything about Voz, so..."

"I will see what the she-elf is up to," hisses Verjigorm. "Spider woman, cast your invisibility spell on me."

Renali briefly hesitates, but then nods and casts the spell. Verjigorm disappears, but Vharag can still sense its location as it flies into the next room.

Through his familiar's eyes, Vharag can see what
seems to have once been a small complex of rooms. Some ancient catastrophe seems to have melted the walls in places, leaving behind a half-demolished complex. In the few places where the walls are still intact, delicate carvings indicate that whoever once built these rooms was a skilled artisan. Far to the southwest, a partially melted stone archway opens into a larger room.

"...anyone gonna go with him?" asks Renali. "I can cast the spell one more time."

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 48/48 | AC 21 | Fort +8 Ref +12 Will +13 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

Conditions: Wounded 2 | Effects: 

Baldric mimes getting shot in the heart - the melodrama clearly too juicy to pass up.

"Oh, you wound me, Syhlas! I must have missed the fliers and town crier back in Breachill warning of the bloated half-baby, half-gadfly monstrosity, the ferocious ape-men, and their leader who can rip a man's soul from their body before coming back for seconds. I really ought to pay more attention to the signs."

The half-elf man chuckles, then flashes a grin of his own.

"I recognize a well-earned roast when I hear it. Let's reserve at least a bit of that vicious, razor-sharp wit for this 'Voz' character though, shall we?"

N/A

HP: 52/52 | AC: 21 | Perc +8 | Fort +11 | Ref +12 | Will +12 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions:

Syhlas looks seriously at Baldric for a few moments then he starts scratching his chin as if thinking really hard. "Alright! That's a deal. Just this once." He turns away from the bard, but almost immediately turns back to look at him with a grin on his face. "But try to stay on your feet next time. I would love to hear your voice uninterrupted through the battle."

Then he focuses on the the discussion and planning of their next move. "Well we could do something similar to how we approached the mercenarys in the glade. Me going in invisible and getting into position, maybe creating a diversion as the rest of you enter the scene." He shrugs and looks at each of his companions. "Unless you have better suggestions of course."

Arionne watched the bickering between Syhlas and Baldric unfold, curious about it, for it was a strange and alien thing to her. She doubted she even knew how to be catty, and yet it seemed to come as easily to the pair of them as breathing. She'd little experience to discern if they were being serious about it or not, or if it was all fun and games. That sort of diversion wasn't something she understood. She'd been distracted during the fight, and she'd seen the Orc fall, but that had been the limits of what she'd perceived. She'd seen that the Elf had also been felled, and she'd assumed it had been by the same negative force that had almost brought her low.

"Remember. We suspect Voz is an Assassin of the Red Mantis, but we don't know if she's allied or an enemy of Belmazog."

She said at last, once the matter appeared to be settled.

"Something bled her."

She added.

Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:  

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Thermal Nimbus spacer.png resistance 4 and damage 2 within aura  

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"Someone should keep an eye on the little dragon," Renali agrees. "Go get 'em." She casts the invisibility spell on Syhlas.

Syhlas proceeds through the ruined complex and into a large, circular chamber whose walls and domed ceiling are elegantly carved with spiraling designs. To the north, a squared-off column protrudes from the wall, creating an alcove of sorts which is guarded by a sturdy-looking double door. To the south, an open archway leads to a stairwell that's been blocked by rubble. In the center of the room stand six statues of elves, all facing outward and arrayed around a dry fountain. Empty benches sit in four alcoves to the east and west, nestled between six stone archways built into the wall. Each of these archways bears a different type of decor, but with the exception of the northeastern archway (which is partially collapsed and opens into a ruined chamber beyond), each archway leads nowhere - they are filled with plain, featureless walls of polished stone.

Standing near one of the archways - seemingly studying it - is a well-dressed half-elf woman, who Syhlas recognizes as Voz Lirayne. Recent events have left her a bit bedraggled, but she still looks quite calm and composed, though she seems deeply fascinated by the doorway. A pile of bones lay at her feet.

(@Bearlord please roll Stealth with advantage, and @Zen Gypsy please roll Arcana)

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 17 | HIT POINTS: 48 | CURRENT: 48 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +9 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +12 | PERCEPTION: +7

FOCUS POINTS: 2 | CURRENT: 2 | SPELL SLOTS [ARCANE]:  1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 3/4 | SPELL SLOTS [OCCULT]: 1st: 1/1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Share Senses (Verjigorm)

CONDITIONS: None.

Vharag spoke to the rest of the group from the center of a chalk circle, he had drawn moments before Verjigorm had slithered into the darkness concealed by Renali's illusory cloak. The connection between Vharag and the Starless-Shadow's emissary allowed him to observe the world, as it saw saw it. Shades of black and grey, it moved through the series of tunnels, Syhlas padding, unseen, and unheard, below, as Verjigorm glided, soundlessly, on it's membranous wings. The orc's mind, analytical and ordered, worked to recall the path the pair took to the chamber, his thick orc voice, now low, in a gravelly whisper, narrated what he observed.

"Small complex of rooms, worked stones, ancient, likely elven in nature. Some catastrophe, backlash perhaps, melted stone, an archway to the southwest. Central, radial, chamber, six archways, six arches, each unique in design, elven woman, gold-spun hair, black and green robes, dagger and wand, tome at her hip, studying the archway."

Verjigorm's sinuous neck swayed, as the creature scanned the room, Vharag could smell the elf through the Emissary's nostrils, feel the saliva thickening in their mouth as Verjigorm sighted the elf-flesh. Vharag, too, studied the runes, the woman, trying to determine their best method of attack, how to capitalize on the cloaked Syhlas, how best to prevent the woman from escaping.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Name
Arcana [Recall Knowledge]
1d20+10 20

Active Conditions: Invisible

Syhlas just nods as Renali casts the invisibility spell on him and then he is off in the same direction as Verijgorm went.

He moves into the domed chamber and immediately recognizes Voz. He studies all the alcoves and archways thoroughly starting furthest away from the half-elf and then moving closer. He doesn't give much interest to inscriptions and such, but he looks for signs of traps, loose objects or openings, maybe secret doors.

Would it be easy to get through the rubble blocking the stairway and does the double door appear locked? He does this trying to make as little noise as possible.

Name
Stealth
13; 20
1d20+12;1d20+12 [1]; [1,8]