Chapter 4: Still in the Dark

Eagleheart

spacer.png"I smell much magic in here," Verjigorm thinks to Vharag, using their connection to communicate silently. "On the elf gates, yes, but also on the she-elf. Protective magic. She is ready for a fight."

As he looks through Verjigorm's eyes, Vharag can also identify the pile of bones. These aren't just some random remains, it's a whole skeleton - the skeleton of a very young dragon.

"Bronze wyrmling. Long dead," notes Verjigorm. "I smell her magic upon it. Its shell is now her servant."

Syhlas isn't aware of the skeleton until it suddenly lifts its head, looking around as if it hears something. Voz, however, doesn't seem to notice that anything is amiss.

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

(22) | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +9 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

"Well, there goes the theory that she was a captive. However, I feel more confident making the claim that she's a Necromancer in favor of out Halfling friend"

Arionne sighed, renewing the protections that covered her.

"Okay. Are we up to doing this here and now? Or do we go back and come fresh tomorrow?"

The question was mostly for those among them who cast spells, for she knew their magic could be exhausted, as Arionne herself was fresh and ready to fight.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:  

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 19, +9
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain
  • Thermal Nimbus spacer.png resistance 4 and damage 2 within aura  

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 48/48 | AC 21 | Fort +8 Ref +12 Will +13 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 0/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell DC: 19

Conditions: Wounded 2 | Effects: 

Baldric's frivolity vanishes as the group sets about to serious matters and Vharag begins his divination through the link to his familiar.

"It doesn't sound as though she has noble intentions. If any of you requires extended rest, so be it, but I am feeling more myself by the moment, thanks to Matilde's ministrations. I realize I have no authority here, so I am happy to act as backup. What's the intended approach, here? If she is a necromancer as you posit, Arionne, then she is likely to be a grave threat."

It's clear that despite his newly-adopted serious demeanor, Baldric has trouble passing up the opportunity for a ripe pun, although he offers it with no smirk or acknowledgement thereof. Was it accidental, then?

While he has been brash and exuberant, the half-elf has otherwise snapped into a tightly-focused, supportive disposition. Without knowing him better, it's impossible to tell how long that will last, or if the earlier performance was just an act.

N/A

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 17 | HIT POINTS: 48 | CURRENT: 48 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +9 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +12 | PERCEPTION: +7

FOCUS POINTS: 2 | CURRENT: 2 | SPELL SLOTS [ARCANE]:  1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 3/4 | SPELL SLOTS [OCCULT]: 1st: 1/1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Share Senses (Verjigorm)

CONDITIONS: None.

Vharag, deep in his mystical connection, translates Verjigorm's sensory impressions to the group. "Strong magical defenses surround her, and the dragon skeleton—it's animated by her necromancy," he warns, his voice carrying the weight of impending danger.

Suddenly, the situation escalates: the dragon skeleton, its skeletal head turning as if sensing an intruder, becomes alert. This prompts an urgent whisper from Vharag, "The skeleton senses Syhlas. We need to act swiftly."

Verjigorm, still under the cloak of invisibility, decides on a course of action to distract the draconic skeleton. Hissing with disdain, the wyrm-kin, speaks in draconic, "O fallen kin, to be shackled thus by an elf's petty necromancy—how far you have fallen from the noble heights of our lineage!"

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1: Command Familiar [Fly; Speak]

Action 2 & 3:  Stride x2 to lead group to Voz

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe dragon doesn't respond, but Voz's head snaps around. "Draconic?" she says - she recognizes the language, but she does not understand it. Seeing nothing besides her own servant (which she knows cannot speak) she frowns thoughtfully, but then quickly casts Detect Magic. "...ah, I have invisible guests... who are you? What do you want?"

As Syhlas finishes his inspection of the room, he concludes that clearing the blocked stairways would take multiple days worth of work. The double doors are very firmly closed and locked, and if he touches them, they seem to forcefully push back against him - some kind of magical seal, perhaps?

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Voz Society
1d20+13 19

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpeg

Syhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 4
HP: 52/52 | AC: 21 | Perc +8 | Fort +11 | Ref +12 | Will +12 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions: Invisible

Syhlas curses silently to himself when the dragon skeleton moves its skull and seems to look at him. Moments after Voz seems to have realized she has company too.

Syhlas doesn't understand much about magic or how the relation between familiars and their masters work but he knows as much that they can communicate over distance share senses somehow so he addresses Vharag through Verijgorm, talking in Draconic. "We are blown. It's out or go!"

Then he turns his attention towards Voz. He keeps moving silently in the room keeping about the same distance from the woman but to make it harder for hear to pinpoint where he is exactly. He speaks to her in Common but changes his voice and accent to sound more like a southern Cheliaxian, something he has done several times in the past.

"We are here to use the portal. Me and my Hellknight friends. Who are you, lady?"

Name
Deception
1d20+12 11

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"Bullshit," spits Voz. "The Hellknights abandoned this place years ago. Who are you really?" She slowly walks around, trying to find where Syhlas' voice is coming from - but she has little success.

Name
Voz Perception
1d20+9 4

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpeg

Syhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Human Rogue 4
HP: 52/52 | AC: 21 | Perc +8 | Fort +11 | Ref +12 | Will +12 | Speed: 30 ft. | Abilities: Deny advantage
Active Conditions: Invisible

"Different branch of Hellknights this time. I'm just their guide, scouting ahead so I don't really care about their business. They pay well though." Syhlas keeps moving as he speaks but makes pauses when he moves so his voice comes from different directions.

"We got the key you know! A little piece you might be missing, eh?" He says in a taunting tone.

He starts to make himself ready for the combat as he hopes his companions will rush in any moment. He draws his weapons and looks for a position on the opposite side of the room as the entrance where his friends will appear.

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"If you have the key, then—" Voz smirks and gestures to the dragon skeleton. "Come. We're leaving." They make for the exit... only to find the rest of the party blocking their way.

"You two." She narrows her eyes at Matilde and Arionne, then briefly inspects Vharag, Baldric, and Renali. "Where are your other friends? ...No matter. I have a very simple offer for you. Give me the key and walk away, or you'll hang along with Calmont."

Of course she knows you won't concede to that. She prepares to defend herself, but she's a bit distracted as she suddenly realizes where the invisible person must be.

"Heh," she chuckles. "I've already been captured once today. It will not happen again."

[Music]

Round 1

@crazncanuck @TheRaconteur and @Zen Gypsy are up first. Syhlas and Verjigorm are still invisible.

Map

spacer.png

Name
Initiative (Stealth) for Syhlas
1d20+12 4
Initiative (Perception) for Matilde
1d20+10 17
Initiative (Perception) for Vharag
1d20+7 17
Initiative (Perception) for Baldric
1d20+9 12
Initiative (Perception) for Arionne
1d20+6 18
Initiative (Perception) for Voz
1d20+9 14
Initiative (Perception) for Wyrmling Skeleton
1d20+13 7
Initiative (Perception) for Renali
1d20+12 4

Vharag.jpg.a377ae16c32065385c1aa4e5c41b3749.jpg

Vharag Mor'Guldur, Arcane Shaman

AC: 17 (19) | HIT POINTS: 48 | CURRENT: 15 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +9 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +12 | PERCEPTION: +7

FOCUS POINTS: 2 | CURRENT: 2 | SPELL SLOTS [ARCANE]:  1st: 3/4 | 2nd: 2/4 | SPELL SLOTS [OCCULT]: 1st: 1/1

ACTIVE EFFECTS: Raise Shield

CONDITIONS: Immunity (Guidance)

Vharag's voice rumbles from the depths of his chest, resonating with primal power and an ominous undertone as he responds to Voz's threat. "The key is ours, elf-witch. You will not lay your hands upon it, your fate is sealed in ash and flame."

With fierce determination and a guttural incantation, Vharag summons azure-hued flames, their blue-white hue pulsating with an otherworldly energy, enveloping Voz in an abyssal blaze. Through gritted teeth, Vharag maintains his concentration, his shield raised in defiance

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1 & 2: Cast a Spell [Floating Flame] on Voz's square.

Action 3:  Raise a Shield

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)
Name
Floating Flame [3d6 Fire; Reflex DC 20]
3d6 2,5,5
Voz Reflex
1d20+14 10
Reflex Save [Fireball; DC 23, 24 fire dmg]
1d20+7 18
Fortitude Save [Void Breath; DC 23, 21 void dmg]
1d20+9 6

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

(22) | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +9 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

Arionne charged, her hands manipulating the chain, yet never touching it, as it whipped and flowed about it. It had always been a primal thing, the appearance of obsidian just formed from molten earth. Yet now as she spun it about, flickers of the fire that birthed it made themselves manifest. She rushed to aid Shylas, though doing so meant standing between the Necromancer and her summoned pet. It didn't matter, the fire filled her blood, filled the very air around her. She lashed out with the wicked chain, and saw all before her burn.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions: Channel Elements, Armor in Earth

Action 1: Stride to just North of Voz, flanking spacer.png

Action 2: Activate Thermal Nimbus to burn both spacer.png

Action 3:  Elemental Blasts Slashing spacer.png

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 20, +10
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' bludgeoning or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Armor in Earth spacer.png raise AC to 21
  • Burning Jet spacer.png stride 40' and ignore difficult terrain
  • Thermal Nimbus spacer.png resistance 4 and damage 2 within aura  

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
Flanking, 1-Action, Slashing
32; 8
1d20+12;1d8+7 [20]; [20,1]

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 4
HP: 52/52 | AC: 23* | Perception: +10 | Fort: +12 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions: Shield (4) 8/12
Matilde rushes southwards, joining the fray, "Unfortunately, Miss Voz, I'm not sure we can give you much say in that, after what you've already caused." She swings her own blade as she arrives, though is rather tentative about it, not wanting to do so much injury that Voz ends up actually bleeding out.

>Stride 4 S
>Strike
>Raise Shield/Symbol

Name
Rapier, Piercing
20; 11
1d20+11;2d6+4 [9]; [9,3,4]

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngMatilde misses by just a bit. The wyrmling skeleton doesn't seem to be affected by Arionne's aura, but Voz is sweating a bit. As Arionne lands a solid blow, she growls "You want fire? I'll give you fire!" With a snap of her fingers, an explosion engulfs the area most of you are in, then she casts a quick protective spell.

Round 1 cont'd.

Voz
:TwoActions:Fireball - yellow circled area. Basic Reflex save, DC 23. Arionne and Matilde take -4 damage
:OneAction:Shield

@VennDygrem is next.

Map

spacer.png

Name
Fireball damage
6d6 2,3,3,6,4,6
Renali reflex
1d20+10 20

spacer.pngBaldric | HP 48/48 | AC 21 | Fort +8 Ref +12 Will +13 | Speed: 30 | Perception: +7
Hero Points: 1/1 | Focus Points: 2/2 | Spellcasting: Cantrips | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Spell/Class DC: 20

Conditions: N/A | Effects: Marshal's aura (10 ft): +1 status bonus toattacks and saves vs. fear or mental effects

As the pale half-elf lobs an explosive orb of flame at the group, Baldric's keen eyes and intuition finally kick in as he deftly ducks and dodges the blast. Whether it's his military training or his elven reflexes, he avoids taking any damage, the fire blazing behind him as a sly grin crosses his face.

"Ah, an explosive welcome, but I'd expect no less from you! Why, I can't imagine facing you any other way. You always did have a knack for the unexpected, but it doesn't work so well against someone trained to expect the unexpected! You know, you're a sly one, always have been, and a slippery minx at that. Why, it feels like only yesterday, eh Vez?"

Baldric has already said Voz's name correctly several times while they were planning their approach, so it seems unlikely for him to slip up now. But given his eccentricities, and how little they actually know about him, it's hard to say for certain what angle he's going for... or if he's speaking genuinely.

"These fine folks are exemplars of their craft, so I wouldn't underestimate them. Solid, stalwart, steady... if I were you, whip-smart and a right firecracker, I'd just go along with them. I think it's better for your long-term goals, don't you, Viz?"

Bow in hand, he steps up behind Arionne, ready to support the team and face off against their shared threats.

Reflex save vs. Voz's Fireball below, then actions (if applicable). Critical Success
Action 1:
Activate Inspiring Marshal Stance :OneAction:Allies within my Marshal aura gain a
+1 status bonus to attack rolls and saves against mental effects; 10' emanation by default, or 20' with a critical success
Action 2: Bon Mot:OneAction:vs Voz. - On success, she takes a -2 to Will saves and perception until she uses an action to retort.
Action 3: Stride SW>SW (15 ft.) adjacent to Arionne,

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Reflex Save
1d20+12 20
Diplomacy (Inspiring Stance)
1d20+12 14
Diplomacy (Bon Mot)
1d20+12 9
Fort save vs void breath
1d20+8 10

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngBaldric's quip seems to annoy Voz - in other words, it has the intended effect - but she puts her poker face back on and nods to the skeleton. It opens its jaws, and out comes a wave of deathly energy, much like a living dragon's breath attack. It then attempts to bite Arionne, its teeth also infused with void energy.

Round 1 cont'd.

Wyrmling Skeleton
:TwoActions:Void Breath vs Arionne, Baldric, Vharag, Renali - basic Fortitudeeven though I rolled Reflex for Renali - I'm a derp save, DC 23
:OneAction:Bite vs Arionne

@Bearlord is next.

Map

spacer.png

Name
Void Breath damage
5d6 6,2,6,1,6
Renali reflex
1d20+10 12
Bite vs Arionne; piercing damage; void damage
27; 13; 3