The Virtual Tavern

Eric

2 hours ago, cailano said:

Seriously guys, what is up with these attack rolls? Is someone bad-mouthing Frank Mentzer in their spare time or something?

Maybe I sacrificed the wrong dice at my unholy shrine of BX yesterday. They were an off brand after all.

2 minutes ago, Niven81 said:

Maybe I sacrificed the wrong dice at my unholy shrine of BX yesterday. They were an off brand after all.

Half the problem with B/X is that they took the demons out of that edition. Who are we supposed to sacrifice our dice to if not Orcus?

There's always these discussions which probably take like 20%* of every gaming table's time but I think they can just be summarised to "d20 be swingy".

Perhaps I should summon Powderhorn to sing the praises of WWN / 2d6 but if you're gonna go for dice pool I say you go all in and do it WoD style**.

*Citation needed

**Without the dumb botching rules

One of my favorite aspects of the HERO system was that the core mechanic was a 3D6 roll. Bell curves for the win! Normal results are - by definition - more likely than extraordinary ones. 3D6 delivers that.

I'm not much of a Gurps person, but I think it's also a 3d6 system.

Though some folks find the swinginess of the d20 more fun. Which is a fair point.

I kind of like increasing dice pools because they improve not only the result (average), but the consistency of the result (i.e., lower result variation), as a character's skill increases... which seems consistent with how reality / learning skills works in the real world. But that's a very simulationist nitpick; overall other things matter more, I think.

Don't get me wrong—Basic D&D is my favorite engine. You can poke holes in it all you want, but at the end of the day, it's a really fun system for running party-based fantasy exploration games.

I am a historical war gamer or have reassociated myself as one lately. So I don't believe there is anything in life that can't be resolved with a single d6. It is bad enough having to pull the number of 5 and 6s out of a pile and count them, actually having to do simple addition is unfathomable.

I am a fan of the linear results of a single die. Some of the most memorable times have been the five rounds of swing and misses for the whole party to deal with the last goblin.

Yesterday one of my students rolled a jeep over a land mine right on the road where it blocked crossing one of the two bridges over the stream that was between him and the Nazis. The jeep got suppressed and spent the entire game there because he was unable to roll a 4, 5 or 6 to get it moving. It was too fun watching his 13 year old mind try to figure out how to redirect his entire wing attack with half his Sherman's piled up behind this stalled out jeep. The kid is an Air Force fanatic and there was no way he was going to concede to a classmate who doesn't even know what the branches of service are.

Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)