The Virtual Tavern

Eric

Greetings, all! You probably all saw the security notice and said to yourselves, "Great, Eric's going to be sidelined for a bit." "A bit" turned into "a good long while" on account of previously scheduled RL stuff that all bled together to keep my free time firmly in negative territory for the better part of a month. If you're all still around and kicking, great--I shall be resuming presently.

5 hours ago, Eric said:

Greetings, all! You probably all saw the security notice and said to yourselves, "Great, Eric's going to be sidelined for a bit." "A bit" turned into "a good long while" on account of previously scheduled RL stuff that all bled together to keep my free time firmly in negative territory for the better part of a month. If you're all still around and kicking, great--I shall be resuming presently.

I think we're all still here. As far as I'm concerned, you have unlimited credits for time out while keeping this amazing site running. Thanks for all you do!

5 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I think this is the first time Astrid rolled a solid hit :o

Vanya is also a miss machine. I guess that's what I get rolling a Fighter with a 9 STR.

3 minutes ago, cailano said:

Vanya is also a miss machine. I guess that's what I get rolling a Fighter with a 9 STR.

Astrid's Stats

STR: 6 (-1)
INT: 10 (0)
WIS: 11 (0)
DEX: 8 (-1)
CON:10 (0)
CHA: 16 (+2)

Astrid is... likeable. 🙃

Naw! I got a 16 strength and still managed to kill the crap out of the air. Damage roll of 10 to hit of 4.

Sorry I was a little late the party. I have been getting ready to teach a war game class for the last quarter, which has been consuming most of my gaming time. I will check in more frequently now that we are moving again.

Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Black Wyvern said:

Naw! I got a 16 strength and still managed to kill the crap out of the air. Damage roll of 10 to hit of 4.

Sorry I was a little late the party. I have been getting ready to teach a war game class for the last quarter, which has been consuming most of my gaming time. I will check in more frequently now that we are moving again.

Oh that’s cool. Where does one teach a war game class?

We have a 30 minute section of time before lunch every day that the core teachers use to work on skill mastery with those who need a bit more support. Those who don't need the support come to non-cores for enrichment activities. We switch activities every quarter. My groups so far this year have made cyber safety PSAs for a state competition and filmed a horror movie for entry into the state film festival. My son is just finishing up a 6' trebuchet that he build in Ag. The project was all tied into the science. We had a group build model rockets and run their numbers through several calculations. We have quite a bit of freedom as it is non-credit time. I believe that some of the best deeper learning skills are practiced during this time.

I am the Technology Director / Computer Science Teacher / Junior High Football Coach / Media Club Sponsor / Robotics Club Sponsor at a small rural K12 school district. We all wear a lot of hats.

I sold the war games to our principal as a critical thinking and problem solving activity. We are going to do a pretty wide range of scenarios. Platoon level tactical WW2 Operation Avalanche and fleet operations playing the Battle of Midway, then skirmish through the Earp Vendetta Ride, then shift gears to battalion level action at the Battle of the Little Bighorn (which is actually only about an hour from where we live, so I get to hit the local history aspect of it as well), then we are going to wrap up doing some Viking build your own raids. I have had my 3D printers running overtime printing minis, which has been a bit rough as my Robotics teams are heading to competition in at the beginning of next month.

It has been pretty cool I have been out of the hobby for almost 2 decades.

Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Black Wyvern said:

We have a 30 minute section of time before lunch every day that the core teachers use to work on skill mastery with those who need a bit more support. Those who don't need the support come to non-cores for enrichment activities. We switch activities every quarter. My groups so far this year have made cyber safety PSAs for a state competition and filmed a horror movie for entry into the state film festival. My son is just finishing up a 6' trebuchet that he build in Ag. The project was all tied into the science. We had a group build model rockets and run their numbers through several calculations. We have quite a bit of freedom as it is non-credit time. I believe that some of the best deeper learning skills are practiced during this time.

I am the Technology Director / Computer Science Teacher / Junior High Football Coach / Media Club Sponsor / Robotics Club Sponsor at a small rural K12 school district. We all wear a lot of hats.

I sold the war games to our principal as a critical thinking and problem solving activity. We are going to do a pretty wide range of scenarios. Platoon level tactical WW2 Operation Avalanche and fleet operations playing the Battle of Midway, then skirmish through the Earp Vendetta Ride, then shift gears to battalion level action at the Battle of the Little Bighorn (which is actually only about an hour from where we live, so I get to hit the local history aspect of it as well), then we are going to wrap up doing some Viking build your own raids. I have had my 3D printers running overtime printing minis, which has been a bit rough as my Robotics teams are heading to competition in at the beginning of next month.

It has been pretty cool I have been out of the hobby for almost 2 decades.

Sounds like you don’t want for things to do! What great opportunities for the kids. I doubt most small districts are so lucky.