New OOC Tavern

Grendel

11 hours ago, Grendel said:

Why would the shoving attempt be at disadvantage?

It was in the rules for shoving to the side, in the SRD I use. I guess it is because normally you shove someone back, away from you and not to the side.

It is from the DMG page 272. "With this option, a creature uses the special shove attack from the Player's Handbook to force a target to the side, rather than away. The attacker has disadvantage on its Strength (Athletics) check when it does so. If that check is successful, the attacker moves the target 5 feet to a different space within its reach."

But if you don't think I should have disadvantage I can live with that. Considering I rolled a 20 on the first check. But a 15 is not that bad either. :)

So we could get into a discussion of angle of attack and combat simulation, but I'm not going to bother with it.  I can see if you were standing next to him and tried it, but if you are running at him and pushing, what difference does it make?  Forget the disadvantage, just go with the 20.

Just to make sure i have the right mental lay out here. I have one merc ready to strike blows, two mercs down and currently not in pursuit of Caelyn. Only one merc still doing that followed by Ehrick. From Kaspars vantage point does it look reasonable to him that she will be able to shake her one pursuer? His whole reason to confront the mercenaries was giving Ehrick and Caelyn some breathing room to slip away. If this is still not secured he is going to up the stakes, if that is achieved he will try to separate without bloodshed. 

I wish I was better at mapping this stuff, I will try to make it clear as I see it.  Ehrick didn't knock anyone to the ground.  With "Shoving" you have the option of either knocking someone prone or knocking them back 5 feet.  Since he wanted the guy to hit another guy, I went with the latter and just decided since it was cinematic to have the guy bump into the other guy and the two of them got momentarily tangled into each other.  The result is that they are now one round's worth of movement behind Caelyn.  One of those two guys, in the next round, took off after her, the other one punched Ehrick "in retaliation."  You kind of really don't know her well enough to know if she can shake the two guys, she is dodging as she moves rather than attacking, so they are at a disadvantage to attack her.  Plus, moving through the crowd is "difficult" terrain, so 1/2 movement.  Right now, Kaspar and #1 are still at the back of the overturned cart.  Ehrick and #2 are at the other end of the cart.  Caelyn and #4 are moving through the crowd, and #3 is also, but one round behind them.

Hate to ask this, but where is Ehrick in all this? You mentioned he yelled and how that worked, but did not mention if he was able to get through the crowd after Caeylen or at least catch the 4th merc and maybe have a chance to stop him.