IC: Vengeance of the Vanderborens

Fiery Gift

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

Calyx nods, agreeing with the big green woman. "Of all the options we've been given thanks to Tann, the boat and, by extension, the dwarf, seem to be the most time-sensitive."

"If we go after the woman first, we risk the brother sailing off and missing him entirely."

"If we go after the boat and find that he's already sailed off, we can always loop back around and interrogate the woman."

"With the pieces in play as we know them, and knowing that Vanthie," (eyeroll) "is preparing to leave, it's a bigger risk giving him the opportunity to make his escape, or letting word get to him that a bunch of rough-and-tumble types are asking around about him."

"If I came into a bunch of ill-gotten cash and heard that a couple of half-orcs and their friends were looking for me, I too would sail away as fast as I could."

He paused, as if finally processing the words he'd just said. Hastily, he nervously adds, "No offense," doing his level best to stay on their good side.

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

The next day divination-o-rama!

"Offense?!" she roared and put her brawny arm around his thin shoulders, pulling him in close.

"I consider it a compliment! I knew there was a reason I liked you. Callie." She smirked and teased him with the nickname, giving his shoulders a good shake.

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

I think Panchi first since it's easy and concrete, then look to run down Brissa.

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3(2) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

"I can't say I agree with going for the dwarf first, but I won't argue the point further. My augury was... inconclusive. In a manner of speaking, anyway. Brissa is likely to be able to lead us to Vanthus, but either getting the information from her will be risky, or there is something else dangerous to our cause involved in going to her. Though, given the circumstances, danger seems unavoidable regardless."

spacer.pngTann Hauser (AC 17)

Character Short Form

Female  Neutral  Elf Wizard,

Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/8, Speed 30 

AC 13 (17 Mage Armor) Touch 13, Flat-footed 10 (14), CMD 12, 

Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus  0,  

Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (10 Reusable) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10

Cantrips Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost 1d3+1

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+10  Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Darkvision 60' but dazzled in bright light.

Entomophobe Drawback (penalties with vermin and swarms)

Tann, using her 'just the facts, Ma'am' voice, replies to all this with.. "I see scenes with my divination, but they lack the context of time. Still, I'd be surprised if Vanthie was still in the city. Questioning the dwarf could at least provide us a timeline for divined events."

Biting her bottom lip, apparently entertaining the notion that her next words might not be universally appreciated, she continues with.. "That being said, the thousands of gold pieces which seemingly move, with some regularity, through that proper little hive of venal industry he's got going could mean bodyguards or paid off city guards, and higher, that we might not want to get on the wrong side of."

Shrugging with both shoulders, she then adds.. "Brissa strikes me as more of a loner, not a central cog in the local criminal underworld. She could easily be more difficult to find, but much easier to separate and intimidate."

She takes a single breath, in through the nose and out through the lips, then.. "In all this I am just making suggestions, providing counsel based on visions. Leadership I leave to others on account of my supremely winning personality.", she concludes her tone clearly self deprecatory and sarcastic.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

The party asks around the Merchant district. There are several people who remember seeing Brissa with a young man who matched Vanthus description, but no one has seen either of them in a couple days.

. . .

Unable to make much headway chasing the pickpocket, you turn to It Still Floats! Seraphina knows the general direction. It is in the Shadowshore district. This district is on the rough and tumble side. The Kellani family are the rulers in this district. The afternoon streets are relatively busy. Although no one pays attention to your party directly, somehow it always feels as if someone is watching you. A stone fence topped by a cast iron fence surrounds the lot. Inside the fence, you see a pair of large fierce looking mastiffs on unusually long chains connected to the low one story wooden building which sits by the edge of the canal. To the left of the wooden building is a narrow boat launch which dips into the canal. A few rows of small boats sit on blocks and line the yard.

One of the dogs barks half-heartedly when you enter the yard of the facility and a dwarf with yellow eyes toddles out from behind one of the larger craft. He's wearing waterproof boots. Over his work clothes is a thick leather apron and he holds a planer in his left hand. Welcome, to It Still Floats! Are you looking to purchase a watercraft? I've got several very reasonably priced options available.

says the dwarf.

Seraphina Stormborn

AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

At It Still Floats?!

"Nah, Panchi. We're not buying. Not a boat at least." And if we were not from here, she thought to herself but didn't say.

"Just looking for some information about one you sold to a certain Vanthie Vanderboren," She smirked put a hand on the counter, smiling a disturbing smile.

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Name
diplomacy level 2 cannot come soon enough!
1d20+2 5

Character Short Form

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Tann nods in Seraphina's direction when Panchi makes an appearance, confirming for Seraphina that this is indeed the dwarf she saw in her divinations. For her part, she is quite clearly content to let others do the talking, when it comes to Panchi, the used boat salesman likely to come up short in any transaction. She's already used up a fair portion of her limited magic already on divinations and enchantment is her opposition school, well opposition everything really.

3(2) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

Iridni keeps an eye on the dwarf and their surroundings. Somehow, she suspected the man would be... hesitant to just spill the beans, if he had any to spill.

Name
Perception
1d20+9 4
Sense Motive
1d20+6 8

Urthan

spacer.pngUrthan Dosk — Half-Orc Barbarian 1 (Armored Hulk)

AC/T/FF 15/10/15 | HP 11/14 | Init +0 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 6/2/4 | Darkvision 60
Raging 6/6 | Hero Points ??
Active Conditions: none

Sibling 'Diplomacy'

The broad-shouldered half-orc leans against a nearby wall, all steel and muscle in a heady combination of calm, and thinly veiled threat. He smiles a toothy smile at the dwarf as his sibling begins her diplomatic relationship with the boat-seller, and he waits patiently, watchfully. Like a cat waiting for it's prey to so much as twitch. His hands don't go anywhere near the hilt of his sword, but they don't need to. Just the presence of steel, borne by his imposing figure is likely enough.

Mechanics

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

Unable to think of any way to directly contribute to the ongoing efforts, Calyx does his best to back Seraphina's gambit by glaring down at the dwarven man. He folds his scrawny elf arms across this little bird chest and makes sure to show off both knives being housed in both wrist sheaths.

"Yeah," he adds, "She's lookin' for some info."

"We're doing great!!!" the young elf smugly thinks to himself.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy - aid another (DC 10)
1d20 8

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann, hood up for the moment, merely stands, looking mild mannered. She'd set out why going after the dwarf might be a bad idea. The notion that he was paid up with the right people, well for him, but not for the company she was in, was something that 'concerned her', in both meaning of the phrase. Being one of the least likely to survive getting stabbed in the back and possibly the one marked for death first in the 'shiv the mage' sense was not at all lost on her. She considered her role to be stay alive, provide with magic that which could not be achieved with muscle. Her staying alive was the company's ace up their sleeve.. the grease spell under the thing that would go through them like a door, if only it could stand up, things of that sort, things of that order. For a mage discretion truly was the better part of valour. She wondered how this would go.

Panchi gives a snicker at the name "Vanthie" but soon stifles that when Calyx's knives make their appearance. I sell to a lot of people, I can't remember all of them, that would be impossible, but I keep a record of receipts in the office. I can see you're serious about this information.

He nods at the imposing Urthan and clears his throat before addressing Seraphina again.

If you don't mind my asking, whom do you represent? I have a small "research fee" of course, for my time in this endeavor, but for the appropriate organization that fee is waived out of a sense of community duty.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

Iridni gestures towards Seraphina, coming closer to her and murmuring in her ear, as quiet as she can "He's not impressed by your politeness. We could try paying him, or we could try convincing him - accurately, under the circumstances - that our patron is not someone he wants to cross, or it might hurt his business. I'd prefer the latter, and I think I can make him see things our way there, but I'll follow your lead." Now that Lavinia had resolved her immediate crisis, Iridni had little doubt that she'd be able to leverage her family's position back to where it belonged (especially with their help) so she really wasn't someone this man would want to cross forever.

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann found herself holding her breath. On this occasion she really hated to be right. As she'd suspected would be the case.. Panchi's reaction seemed to be a good deal less than intimidated, despite the show of knives. He was laughing and very much at his ease seemingly. So, he probably was paying the right people, as in people the company would not want to cross, for protection. He also clearly wanted to identify their employer, almost certainly for an opportunity to return the favor and have toughs, dispatched by the folk he was paid up witih, show up at their employer's door. She hoped Seraphina had a way out of this predicament.

Seraphina Stormborn

Active Conditions:

Spells

At It Still Floats?!

Seraphina nodded at Iridni's comment, and Calyx' show of knives and decided to improvise along those lines. She had no idea what Tann was thinking, but seemed destined to disappoint her.

"Who do we represent??" She replied with a hint of menace, glancing back at Urthan.

"We represent your mom! Yeah! My cousin here has been spending a lot of time with her... a LOT of time, if you know what I'm saying. And she wanted him to come find out how her disappointment of a son was doing selling crappy boats to worse people. Like little Vanthie. Obviously you know him. Now run along and get those records for us and my cousin won't have to do... what was it she asked you to do, cuz? Oh yeah, 'take his bottom lip and pull it all the way over his head so he knows the pain I went through birthing that ungrateful disappointment. Now I got no need to see that, you understand. So run along and get us what we came for and I'll see to it there is no pulling off of lips or any other flappy bits. We clear?"

There you go. Not someone he wants to cross.

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8