Fiery Gift

spacer.pngTann Hauser (AC 17)

Character Short Form

Female  Neutral  Elf Wizard,

Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/8, Speed 30 

AC 13 (17 Mage Armor) Touch 13, Flat-footed 10 (14), CMD 12, 

Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus  0,  

Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (10 Reusable) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10

Cantrips Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost 1d3+1

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+10  Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Darkvision 60' but dazzled in bright light.

Entomophobe Drawback (penalties with vermin and swarms)

Tann looks up from her drawing of the Kellani crest, looks at El Cid's bobbing and weaving. "It was the Kellani crest."

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3(1) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

"If it was the Kellani crest, then it probably isn't going to get back to Vanthus directly, which means we have more time. The Brothels lead we have is, perhaps predictably, the best lead then."

The trip back into the Merchants district is fairly low key. It is a short hop across the water on a ferry which finds moorage at a slip beside the Harbor Market. It is one of the busiest districts of Sasserine. The district watch here is known for being the least corrupt in Sasserine. They may also be the wisest as they tend to overlook minor offenses to focus on more significant incidents of lawbreaking.

The Witchwardens tower which nearly 80 feet tall overlooks the market. The afternoon sun causes the tower to cast a long shadow through the center of the market place. As you walk through the market place toward your destination, you see a thin young human male in scholar's robes unsucessfully attempting to wave discretely at one of you through the crowd. A sash with an anchor insignia embroidered on it, worn over the robes indicate that the young man works for the Harbormaster (or has stolen a sash from the Harbormaster's office for a disguise)

@Naimless

Character Short Form

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Tann nods at Iridni's analysis, "I concur." she remarks, looking thoughtful. "Looks like we're taking a walk on the wild side."

In the marketplace, when the young man with the harbormaster sash tries to get their attention, she murmurs. "Perhaps someone subtle and generally likeable should go and talk to him.", the tone of her voice communicating that she considers herself as either subtle or likeable.

Meanwhile, El Cid, gliding from high vantage point to high vantage point, keeps an eye on the company's surroundings, sometimes swooping ahead to spot ambushes, sometimes falling behind to spot pursuit.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Tann perception looking out for danger
1d20+6 6
El Cid Perception
1d20+10 2

3(1) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

"Agreed." Perhaps there was a chance for Seraphina to redeem herself. She could probably do better playing nice.

Name
Perception
1d20+9 20

Whoever the young man was waving at doesn't seem to notice him. His cheeks deepen in color and he pays for something at the nearest stall and he hurries away.

The first stop at the "Minx Market" is only minimally productive. The workers there who have time to talk definitely know Shefton, but they haven't seen him today.

Your trip to the Painted Vixen initially yields similar results. They know Shefton but he hasn't made an appearance. However, as you are walking away from the establishment, on your way to the final brothel in the district, you only get a block away when you hear a thin voice say from an alley, Hey - I heard you're looking for me. Whaddaya want?

A half-elf with messy black hair wearing a suit of ragged leather armor stands at the mouth of the alley. He is appraising you with some nervousness in his demeanor

The roof overhanging the alley would have made it nigh impossible for El Cid to see the half elf from the air.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

Shefton

Seraphina, "Subtle and generally likeable. Yeah, it'd be great if we knew someone like that." Nevertheless, she tried to get the young man's attention but he didn't notice and got away. Fortunately another opportunity presented itself.

"You heard wrong, Shefton, " she replied, making an educated guess.

"Ain't nobody looking for you. But we are looking for someone you know. When's the last time you saw Vanthie van der Boren?"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Name
diplomacy on Shefton
1d20+2 18

Shefton snickers at the name "Vanthie" but the use of childish nickname seems to relax him, although he maintains something of a distant air. You must be Brissa's pals. She's the only one who calls him that and only when she wants money. What do you want Vanthus for?

he asks.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann contents herself with staying in the background, well aware that she has no skill at reading people, no skill at dissembling and devoid of any talent to coax or persuade. In short, in situations such as this she was all too aware that she was an utter liability.

Iridni decided to save any attempts at playing hardball by intimidating him if Seraphina playing nice didn't work. Hopefully she'd see the opening and suggest they wanted Vanthus for money as well - something he owed them a cut of or something. That seemed like the best way to keep this half-elf off balance. But she would leave things in the hands of the more personable than her, for now.

Name
Sense Motive 
1d20+6 4

1096643343_smirkingelfmale.jpg.ad16006421cd4fb56a53841a481904f7.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1
Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6
Resources | Spells | Skills

"In a word ... " Calyx answers the young man's question, " ... money."

"Specifically, doing work for the Van der Borens has been profitable for us in the past," Calyx clarifies before the boy can ask, "and if certain rumors are true, we're hoping that it'll be profitable for us in the future as well."

"You think you can help us out? I promise, we're the kind of people who remember who our friends are when we're flush."

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

Shefton

Seraphina cursed herself as Shefton picked up on 'Vanthie' and jumped to the right conclusion. She let the comment about Brissa slide, no point in offering up information they didn't need to.

She listened to Calyx answer Shefton's question. Sure money. Why not? Good a reason as any. "And as people interested in money, we are aware that it is the same as time. So don't waste ours. You know where he is or not?"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

You watch the already nervous half-elf go through a roller coaster of emotions as he listens to first Calyx then Seraphina. He steels himself visibly and makes his reply.

You work for the Vanderborens, eh? Yeah, I know where he is. Not only that, I will take you to him. Of course since you are going to profit from finding him, it only stands to reason that I should profit from helping you find him. I think a small finder's fee, maybe five gold coins, would be fair. If you'll meet down by the docks in Shadowshore, I'll get my skiff and we can head out.

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann listened while her nickname for Vanthus did its job, then blinked once and then again. First, Seraphina had come on like a friend to Vanthie. Then Calyx came on like a bounty hunter on Vanthie's trail, even working for all the Vanderborens, not just Vanthie. Then Seraphina came on like a loan shark on the verge of punching Shefton unless he gave Vanthie up. She wasn't surprised Shefton was acting as he was, since the narrative he was being fed belonged in a padded cell. Despite wanting to take a back seat on interacting with folks she didn't know, she found herself forced to do so...

She steps forward, drops her hood in the manner of wizards everywhere, this action revealing her component's belt...

"Forgive my... bodyguard. They're being cagey for a good reason. There's information I have for Vanthie, information he'd want to know, information he'd pay me for, and you know he can, if only I could find him. The mixed messages you're getting is just these two trying to hold onto my pay day, and thus their pay day, since privileged information is no longer privileged if it's common knowledge."

"So, I tell you what. You take us to him and I'll cut you in for twenty five percent. If not, I'll have to use divination again... this time to find him. That'll take longer, since I used all my divinations to find you, tracking you from the pier where Brissa pickpocketed him. "

"Remember these words?", at which point Tann decides to impersonate Brissa, her voice but in particular her parting words on the dock.

"Oh, I'll take care of myself thanks. I won't need any help from him. Good luck on your trip, Vanthie. I feel like things are looking up for me. BYeeEEee!"

Tann grins, clearly proud of herself. "Yes I saw that. I see lots of things, which is why I'm in the information business. See my reward is time dependent.. the older the news is, the less it's worth."

"So, the choices you have before you now are give us nothing and get nothing, go with the five gold coins to act as a an undependable guide, which I'll gladly provide, or the twenty five percent of the reward we get from moneybags as a partner. I'd lose more than twenty five percent if I speak to him tomorrow."

Finishing her little monologue, she smiles, apparently amused by having put Shefton in the position of having to make a choice.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)