IC: Vengeance of the Vanderborens

Fiery Gift

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

Calyx's eyebrows raise in genuine surprise at the torrent of information the young urchin shares. "That's some fine work you've done today, Dodge. I think Alura would be proud of your efforts," he showers praise upon the youngster. "I know that I am."

"I think that your hard work deserves a reward or two, don't you?" He hands over a small handful of mixed coins -- copper, silver, and one or two gold. "You know the drill. Don't keep them all in the same pocket, in case you get picked. Don't let them bulge or jangle, 'cause you're just making yourself a target. Don't spend it all at once, or at the same place, or people might get the wrong idea."

"Do you know the Church of Whirling Fury? Over in the Cudgel district? If you're ever in a pinch, or just need a warm place to vanish for a bit, you can find me there; ask for Calyx. Or leave a message for me with Deacon Pierce. Can you remember that?"

Show OOC

I feel like I'm about to follow in @ccanary's footsteps and adopt a virtual orphan.

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3(1) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

"As far as I can tell, he didn't send a letter to Vanthus. Or, if he did, pursuing the letter directly will not be good for us, or our cause." Iridni explained to the others. "It could mean following up on the letter will lead us astray, into a trap, or even just... finding where Vanthus is staying, but when he's out. Ships passing in the night. Regardless, it seems fortunate we have a better lead care of Alura's friend here."

spacer.pngTann Hauser (AC 17)

Character Short Form

Female  Neutral  Elf Wizard,

Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/8, Speed 30 

AC 13 (17 Mage Armor) Touch 13, Flat-footed 10 (14), CMD 12, 

Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus  0,  

Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (10 Reusable) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10

Cantrips Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost 1d3+1

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+10  Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Darkvision 60' but dazzled in bright light.

Entomophobe Drawback (penalties with vermin and swarms)

Tann nods at this, leaves praising the child to those with stronger people skills than her, which was to say 'most people'. "So the skinny half elf I saw goes by the name Shefton. I'll know him when I see him again.", she purrs into the proceedings. She looks around and sees her familiar on a roof nearby. Heading into a recess in the street, the closest one possible, she quickly confers with El Cid for a moment. "Return to the dwarf's place, along the route we took to get here. See if anyone has show up yet, then return here." ,she instructs her familiar. Privately she was kicking herself, leaving someone behind at the Dwarf's to see who showed up was something she should have done immediately upon their leaving the locale. "Get your shit together Tann, that's a novice oversight.", she says to herself as El Cid flies off, since she had a familiar for such spy work and no-one else did. She then returns to the bakery.

Deacon Pierce - sure, Calyx, sure - I can remember that. Good tips. If you see Alura, tell her hi for me. And thanks Calyx. "Dodge" slips a copper into each pocket and takes off. She has an mildly amused look on her face with Calyx' advice, but knows her manners well enough not to insult a paying customer.

It isn't long before El Cid returns. He does another funny little dance when he comes back, telling Tann what he found.

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

More leads

Seraphina frowned with a confused look when Tann informed them all about the Kallani family, after 'Dodge' left.

"Rowyn? Rowyn Kellani? Never realized she was practically royalty around these parts before! Yeah I know Rowyn, red hair, green eyes, thinks she's edgy going through this dragon phase. Goes everywhere with a little feldrake. Got tattoos of dragons and lotus flowers up and down her arms. Nice arms too, for a human, never shy about showing 'em off either. Likes to talk about how she's connected up in one of the thieves guilds in Sasserine and about how they're involved in ... OK this tracks. Smuggling exotic animals. Like say that spider monstrosity that almost ate Iridni?"

It wasn't much of a lead though.

"No idea how to find her though. Maybe we get lucky and cross paths, but honestly chances seem remote. Shefton seems like a better angle. And who doesn't want to visit some brothels?"

She put an arm around Iridni and pulled her in close, giving her a little shake.

"Probably have to wait a bit on you beating me with a blunt instrument though, Darling. Unless we find JUST the right brothel. It's kind of niche though, even for Merchant district."

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

1) local on the prominent thieves guilds in Sasserine - 14

2) Not sure if I need local to pick the right brothel in merchant's district... - 11 (if I need that roll, we're going to the wrong place!)

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
local 1
1d20+8 6
local 2
1d20+8 3

Character Short Form

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Tann raises an eyebrow at the latest from Seraphina, groaning inwardly at the thought that they might already have inadvertantly gotten on Rowyn Kellani's bad side.

"Seems like we might be making waves in the criminal underworld... dead spider thing and rattling Panchi's cage.", delivering this in her usual husky, breathy contralto as ever.

She takes a deep breath, clearly about to give one of her briefings and begins, using her 'just the facts' voice.

"The pigeon returned from a big house with high walls and a picture on the gate. Four big men from there, with the same picture on their chests, carried the pigeon back to the boatyard, in a cage. Thankfully the men don't speak pigeon so they don't know about Cid as far as I know. In any case a discussion was had, with conversation lingering angrily on the subject of two half orcs.."

She grins at Urthan and Seraphina

"... and an elf that flashed knives."

She grins at Calyx

"I'm guessing the conversation covered things like the impression you made, what you did, what you looked like, what you were wearing, displayed weapons and such."

She winks at Iridni,

"Iridni and I were 'barely' mentioned."

She shrugs with both shoulders.. "So, anyway these toughs are on the look out for two half orcs and an elf with knives. Two of these big sonsas are staying with the dwarf for the next couple of days in case we come back."

She turns her head to look at the road they'd come up to get here.. "As far as I can tell they're not actively tracking us for the moment. Still Cid, knows what these men look like, so they're likely not going to be able to approach us without us being aware of them."

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge Local Brothels in the Merchant District
1d20+10 20

3(1) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

Iridni grinned and bore it as Seraphina pulled her into the hug, "I'm not sure why we'd need a brothel for me to club you over the head," she noted. "I can do that anywhere. As for the men the dwarf sent information to, it sounds as if he wasn't warning Vanthus, then, but likely his patron in the underworld. Would your pigeon remember the picture if shown it?"

"I think that you right about the dwarf sending a message to his boss," Calyx states in response to Iridni's assumption, and then adds, "but I find myself wishing that he had. It would give us a clear path forward. Instead of what we have now ... a seemingly ever-growing list of enemies."

"What do you guys make of Dodge's info?"

Seraphina Stormborn

AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

More leads

Seraphina smiled at Tann's information about her owl scouting attempt.

"Aw, don't fret, Tann. I'm sure with a little effort you and Iridni could become just as memorable as Urthan and me, Calyx and Allura. OK maybe not Allura, she's a whole other level of unforgettable but definitely the rest of us! And I'm not saying we would NEED a brothel," she continued, shifting gears to Iridni's question.

"Two consenting adults can get up to all sorts of depravity in their private residences, no doubt. Just that privacy is kind of hard to come by these days with Calyx and Urthan sleeping on my floor. Just thought it'd be a more, let's say welcoming environment without all the extras underfoot. But hey, if you've got a exhibition thing too, I certainly wouldn't hold it against ya! But regardless, business before pleasure. Even if we are heading to scour the brothels of Merchant district for this Shefton character. Seems that's our best lead at the moment, yeah?" This time answering Calyx' question about what to make of Dodge's information.

"Otherwise we're back to the girlfriend or worse. Let's canvas some brothels see if Brother Shefton turns up and ask a few pointed questions. Hopefully his friends are smaller than Panchi's"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann confers with her owl, El Cid, who judging by the blood on his talons and beak is enjoying the locale. The conference takes the form of a combination of sign language, hoots and such. Tann had considered the possibility of a thrush, which could speak common, but had gone with her gut instead and chosen an owl because.. the claws, the feathers, the I don't give two hoots demeanor.. well who wouldn't?

Apparently giving El Cid, time to ponder the question she brings he attention back to the company. "Panchi 'Vanthi friend', sorry I'm just going to call him Panchi Vanthi, is it just me or does the phrase we don't need no stinking badges come to mind with that combination? Anyway, Panchi Vanthi did tell us we could take it up with House Kellani. He's seamy, House Kellani is seamy. It does 'seem' to suggest that Panchi Vanthi is a front dwarf for House Kellani's seamier activities. Also, House Kellani is pushing hard to secure the position of harbourmaster for one of their own.", she purrs, continuing where she left off earlier with her 'just the fact's Ma'am' tone of voice.

She shrugs insouciant with both shoulders.. "I mean it fits.. of course whether it's true or not is something else entirely."

Grinning somewhat evilly, she concludes with.. "Something about the brothels... well it's on the tip of my tongue.", reverting to her usual low, husky breathy purr.

ooc: Tann can roll all knowledge skills untrained due to her breadth of experience feat.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge Nobility on Kellani Crest
1d20+6 8

"Must you make everything an innuendo, Seraphina?" Iridni ignored the heat in her cheeks. "When I say 'club you over the head', I mean it literally." She drew the Vanderboren crest on a scrap of parchment and showed it to Tann's familiar. "Is this the picture the men had?" She asked. She looked at the others, "Does anyone know the Kellani crest well enough to draw it?"

Seraphina Stormborn

Active Conditions:

Spells

More leads

Seraphina frowned with a confused look at Iridni's comeback. "Innuendo? I didn't think I was being subtle. Was I being subtle?" she nudged Urthan, asking him.

"Still, like I said, no time for fun just now. We might have prices on our heads! Ooh now that's exciting. "

She watched El Cid dance back and forth with Tann, musing about what she knew regarding Merchant district brothels as they communicated in their way.

"So at the risk of my reputation, I don't claim to know everything about Merchant district brothels, but I am familiar with a few. There's your Painted Vixen, your Crimson Genie and the Minx Market. Hey, I don't pick the names, people. Interestingly though, the Minx Market is only like a block from the Vanderboren estate. Now I don't know that makes it any more likely our man Shefton will be there, but it seems like a pretty big coincidence, no? Unless Tann heard otherwise from El Cid, shall we depart for the .. urgh... Minx Market?"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann turns back to El Cid, confers for a moment while drawing the Kellani crest. El Cid does some wierd thing with claws and wings on Tann's falconer glove. Tann's eyebrows rise in surprise.. "It was a different crest.", she says to the company, the surprise evident in her voice. "I think we need to draw more crests.", she purrs with a lopsided grin.., "... or go take a look, a distant look, at this big house."

"Subtle?" Calyx chuckles. "Madam, you're about as subtle as a chocolate-covered brick."

With a sigh, he addresses the question at hand. "But yes, in the absence of a better idea, I think we should check out this Minx Market place."

He turns to Tann, addressing the next point to her. "If your little friend is up to is, a little aerial surveillance to make sure we're not being followed or walking into an ambush set up by the dwarf's thuggish friends would be greatly appreciated. Later, when we have time, you'll have to tell me how to thank him. Or her?"