Fiery Gift

spacer.pngTann Hauser (AC 17)

Character Short Form

Female  Neutral  Elf Wizard,

Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/8, Speed 30 

AC 13 (17 Mage Armor) Touch 13, Flat-footed 10 (14), CMD 12, 

Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus  0,  

Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (10 Reusable) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10

Cantrips Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost 1d3+1

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+10  Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Darkvision 60' but dazzled in bright light.

Entomophobe Drawback (penalties with vermin and swarms)

Tann, not a fan of eye rolling, suddenly understands its appeal and duly rolls her eyes.

Panchi blinks his yellow eyes a couple times at Seraphina's reply. I see, well, I guess I best check my receipts for a "Vanthie" you said? Just a moment, wait here please.

And in a dwarven way he waddles back to his office. He leaves the door open and you can see him head toward a low bookcase. (he's a dwarf so it would have to be,right?) He takes a couple steps out of view.

Awfully stuffy in here today, perhaps I'll open a window. . . you hear him say and he does. You hear a window slide open. Gulls from the harbor wheel overhead, crying their shrilly cries. Panchi waddles back into the front of the book case pulls a ledger from the top, which he lays on his desk and he peruses. A minute or so later, a pigeon flies out of the back of the building, initially over the water then veers toward the northern end of Shadowshore.

Panchi continues to peruse for a couple minutes, then shuffles through a few pages beside an official looking stamp, and after disappearing once more, he returns. He closes the door to the office behind him.

He is carrying an ink pen, a small pot of ink, and a piece of parchment in his hand. I couldn't find anything in the immediate past, but I can do a search of my records as I mentioned before.

Now, your fee for the record search will be 100 gold pieces, payment up front. I'll send any information I am able find by messenger at beginning of the next business week as is customary or of course, if you like we could meet in person again.

All I need to do now is collect your payment and record your names and the location for the messenger.

He brings the ledger and inkpot to an overturned boat which seems to be having some work done. A hammer lies across its hull. Panchi sets the ledger on the hull as well as the inkpot, next to the hammer, and lays the parchment over the back of the ledger.

The mastiffs on their chains stand up. They suddenly seem interested in what is happening, but they make no moves toward the party.

May I get your names please? And where shall I send the messenger? Please be accurate. I'd really like to ensure you receive this message. Just need to settle up with the gold first. He looks to Seraphina for his payment.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)

Character Short Form

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City 1 (used), Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 0, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

As the yellow eyed dwarf, employing visual humor and subtlety as a means of telling the group to go do something rude to themselves, gets to the end of his little speech, Tann snorts in amusement. He really was a gangster to the core, proper little Kingpin.

"He's dispatched a messenger pigeon, called the dogs as it were. He also clearly means to hunt us down, if we back down and leave, what with his comic 'who are you and who do you work for?' schtick. So, it's violence now whether we'd wish otherwise or not.", she remarks in a conversational tone.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3(1) Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

Iridni literally drops her head into her hands as Seraphina engages in her mad, one-woman show and only lifts her head up when she hears the bird flying off. "Seraphina, remind me to find something large and blunt to hit you with later," she told the half-orc, marveling at the depth of idiocy inherent in her actions. She was almost certain the bird was heading for Vanthus, or someone who worked for him. But better to be sure. She steps towards the man, grabbing the quill, but rather than writing anything, she tries to draw on the memory of it, of it's user, and this place, to ask a fairly simple question with an augury - was the bird heading to Vanthus, and if they tried to follow it, would they find him?

Actions

Using her Future Sight Focus power to cast the spell Augury. 71% chance (rolled by the GM) on the Augury being accurate, because she's level 1. Spending one of her Divination investment points for the day to do this. As long as she doesn't spend the last one, she still gets to keep her Insight bonus. So fingers crossed this works. 😅

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

"Maybe that hammer Panchi is standing next to?", purrs Tann in her low husky contralto, referencing Iridni's words. She figures pointing out the obvious was usually a waste of breath and effort. That is until it wasn't. Still standing next to Urthan, something she does out of habit, she then casts her Mage Armor spell, and reaches for her crossbow. The pigeon had headed to the northern shore of Shadowshore, so it seemed likely to her that the upcoming fight would be against thugs and not the authorities, which meant 'gloves off' and whoever loses resting at the bottom of the harbour. "It was always going to come to this Seraphina.. he was paid to keep his mouth closed, and so he has to... , word as bond, a 'there can be no doubt' kinda deal."

Urthan

spacer.pngUrthan Dosk — Half-Orc Barbarian 1 (Armored Hulk)

AC/T/FF 15/10/15 | HP 11/14 | Init +0 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 6/2/4 | Darkvision 60
Raging 6/6 | Hero Points ??
Active Conditions: none

The Muscle

"Wow. Greedy, and stupid." Urthan scoffs, moving uncomfortably close to the dwarf. "I think you'd be well advised to forget you ever saw us, Panchi." He says in a friendly 'I could break every bone in your body' kind of tone." He smiles, his short tusks becoming fully visible. "After you tell us what we want to know. Otherwise...I'm like to get upset. And I've got this here big sword. I'd hate to do permanent damage to you. Or your place of business. I really, really would."

Mechanics

Intimidate

Due to Memorable trait, if an attitude change takes place, it lasts 1.5x longer than normal.

Name
Intimidate
1d20+6 13

Hey, my pen! Panchi says. The dogs raise their hackles, and take a few steps closer to the dwarf. As they come closer, a keen observer might realize that the long chains aren't actually attached to the building. Panchi allows the pen to be taken and puts his hands up. The dogs stop where they are. I'd hate that too. Keep the pen. I told you I didn't have a record of a sale to your little "Vanthie". If you don't like it, report me to the Kellani family and they can settle this. I believe that concludes our business. Please leave.

Iridni's mind is another place focusing on the pen.

Panchi picks up his hammer and heads back to his office.

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann starts laughing, though mirthlessly, as Urthan tries to intimidate the dwarf, who had, how many times was it now? shrugged it off with aplomb. She ponders who the Kellani family are, while seemingly on the verge of walking away. She pauses, decides to try another tack, since current strategies were turning out to be as useful as a stone lifejacket.

"Well, as far as it goes.. he's telling the truth.. there's no record of a sale to Vanthus Vanderboren because Vanthus Vanderboren paid him 5000 gold pieces to lose those records. That's on top of the 13,000 gold pieces for the boat itself.", she purrs, thinking if that didn't shake things up a bit until something dropped out, that they should make themselves scarce.

Iridni had the pen, which she considered a smart move on her part. That might prove useful.

Name
Know Local Kellani Family
1d20+10 15

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

At It Still Floats?!

"Ooh, don't threaten me with a good time, Girl!" She smirked and replied back to Iridni with a lusty wink.

"Hey, HEY! What are you doing in there?!" She moved to follow him as he released his pigeon, but was too slow to interrupt.

"FINE! Tell your friends on the other end of the pigeon you panicked and called in some muscle from a few ragged strangers. I'm sure they'll appreciate the false alarm. Be seeing you Panthie.

She was ready to go, but waited to see how Tann and Iridni's gambits paid off. After that, there was always the girl. Assuming Panthus didn't literally release the hounds.

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

Calyx looks from Seraphina to Idrini and back to Seraphina before returning his attention to the dwarf. Realizing a consensus has been reached -- albeit one he disagrees with -- he goes along the the group.

Glaring at the dwarf, he fixes him with a steely stare, "We'll be back for those answers."

He turns to leave with the others, eyes open for people taking too much interest in them.

If Panchi has heard either Tann's comment about the money or Calyx' promise to return he doesn't indicate it before he gets back into the office and closes the door. The mastiffs lie back down near the doorway, watching the party.

And you hear a window, presumably one of the back ones, close shut.

The yard is still.

Except . . . 'Scuse me says a small voice near the gate. Is Alura here? I got somefin' to tell her. Those of you who turn to see, spot a small urchin girl looking around the yard from outside the gate. She's also looking over her shoulder a fair amount. Apparently, she has the sense to realize this isn't the type of neighborhood for a young person to wander in alone.

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

Calyx steps forward and approaches the urchin. "No, Alura's not here. She was supposed to meet us this morning, but never came back." Seeing the state of the child, and remembering his own time living on the streets, he changes the topic for a moment.

"You hungry kid? The open air market isn't far from here. You can talk to us on the way to get something in your belly." He makes his offer half out of genuine concern for the child, and half as a bribe to get the kid to trust him and the rest of the group. And not a small part due to wanting to get some distance away from the dwarf's place of business.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann smiles broadly, as Calyx speaks, clearly approving of his words. Still, when she speaks it's about their current situation.. "Yes, we should remove ourselves from this locale. The dwarf's reinforcements are almost certainly on the way. Let's walk this little girl out of here, while we talk.."

She continues speaking as they begin moving.. "The dwarf mentioned the Kellani, the ruling family of Shadowshore. The Kellani govern this district.. taxation, the local guards, the courts. Lady Kellani, since Lord Kellani is dead, is rumored to have been a pirate, before marrying into the nobility and so is on the 'both' sides of the law hereabouts, I'm guessing dwarves count, ... with all that means for us if we stick around. Guards if we're lucky. She has three daughters, the oldest, Rowyn, the heir, has a reputation for being fiery. Kellani's on the city's ruling council, where she angles for a more, how should I put this.. 'dictatorial' governing style. I think there's already betting about who might die first, Islaren, the current leader, or her."

Having divulged what she knows about the Kellani's she then shuts up.

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

At It Still Floats?!

Tann made a lot of sense, so they started walking. When they were at a safe distance she made to speak with the girl, but Calyx had beaten her to it. So she just got down to her level and tried to look non-threatening.

"My friend Calyx is a smart one. They've got a great bakery there, with amazing jam tarts." She smiled and then stood up to move towards the market.

"Allura is a friend, she a friend of yours too? What is it you need to tell her?"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

Calyx beat me to it. Guessing Tann learned everything there is to know about the Kallani clan, but I can roll local, see if I've crossed paths with the 'fiery' daughter. Sounds like someone Seraphina might have crossed paths with...

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Name
local - Rowyn Kallani
1d20+8 19

I ain't gonna say no to a free trip to tha bak'ry. I can see why Alura likes hangin' out wif you. the little girl says with a smile. You can call me Dodge.

On the walk through Shadowshore to the bakery, you get a better look at Alura's little informant. Dodge's clothes are drab, the color of weatherstained wood, and hang loosely from her thin frame. There are no holes in the knees or elbows of the outfit. The hems are neat and there is only the hint of perspiration stains on her top. Her dark, curly hair is tied back into a hairstyle that is more functional than decorative and shows off a pair of rather large ears. (Rounded, not pointed) Her eyes are an active, bright brown.

Dodge likes to chat. During your walk you find that in addition to having invented a name for almost every alley cat in the district, she also seems to know something about every shop owner you pass.

When you arrive at the bakery, Dodge gets a sweet roll (at Calyx's expense) and you find a quiet spot to chat. Alura wanted me to find out what I could about a Vanthus Vanderboren, so I've been keeping my ears to the ground, and I found out two things: a boring one and a good one.

The boring one is there's a lamp merchant in the Merchant District who said he sold two dozen lanterns and four casks of lamp oil to Vanthus about two weeks ago.

The good one - I found a guy named Shefton who says he knows where Vanthus went, but he didn't want to tell me. He didn't seem like much of a threat, skinny black haired, nervous fella. Half elf. If you hang around enough brothels in the Merchant District you'll find 'im.