Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure on the free version of Worlds Without Number, but on the Deluxe version on page 341, you'll see construction costs and labor times for various things.  The simplest of things won't have a silver cost (you're building for survival, after all), but will have the time cost ("One skilled artisan-mason can build 25 silver pieces worth of the structure for each day of labor").

Anything more elaborate, we'd need to figure out how to manage costs.  Potentially silver for wages, treasure, beer - this is all still very new in my mind, I've never done a game like this, but I have a lot of hopes for how I envision it.  (Also welcome to ideas!)

I'd say that the expectation is that everyone work "full time" on the settlement, maybe converting silver cost to labor hours at the standard unskilled/skilled labor rate or something like that. For this type of endeavor, it would probably be "work or starve". Adventuring would be different as the dangers of doing so are far higher than stuff like digging wells, raising palisades, what have you. 

Also, what is your philosophy on rolling checks? Some GMs like to have people roll only when they request, others encourage preemptive rolling when the PC tries to do something that might have a chance of failure.

Edited by matt_s (see edit history)

Ok, Stavard is looking for and trying to recruit what is basically a quartermaster. Let me know if you want a Connect roll to find a "volunteer" and/or a Convince roll to persuade them. (I do suspect that "sit back at the camp and count things" is a relatively enticing gig on the scary mystery island though lol).

So the ship just dropped us off and left, correct, did they leave any colony supplies?
Did they leave a long boat, or did they take that with them as well?
What basic supplies can we expect to have, or do we have to fend for ourselves and the 50 people as well?
The deluxe rule book doesn't have anything like tents or other costs like that, there is only Supplies for Adventuring (pg 50) 
with the note that 

Characters with Survival-0 can put together a minimal lean-to of boughs and branches in wooded areas, but in places of torrential rain, snows, or other extreme conditions it may prove more difficult. Lack of shelter can make it impossible to rest comfortably, or even threaten a PC’s life.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

There are rules for building. My makeshift hospital, for instance, I estimated at 20 silver based on the prices there (between a 10 silver rampart and 30 silver house.)

Based on the fact that PH let me get away with that, I think it's safe to say we have whatever we can afford the silver to build, but that's our GMs call.