Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

1 hour ago, Powderhorn said:

Just wanted to try to organize the timeline and locations a bit while I'm chilling at the hospital (nothing wild, just a procedure for my wife). As I'm sitting under a TV with just non-stop commercials (who listens to commercials anymore??), I don't have the ability to do an IC post yet (but plan to do so tomorrow morning with a good cup of coffee :) )

That said, I added a few numbers to the map to make it easier for everyone:

Map with Numbers

spacer.png

So, just to try to recap as best as possible, first: You'll note that there's about a 100 mile radius for ship visibility, there are three branching paths that ships have taken - the first to the Northwest, the second to the North, and the third to the East, with that same third one eventually going Northwest as well, and back to the East.

Locations and events as follows:

1. First expedition, these were exiled from Kelmar for a variety of reasons. They did meet the Maliente there, though did not know anything about them besides their hostility. What small settlement was made was ultimately, if my memory serves me (and I believe it does, but @thesloth can confirm) razed by the Maliente, and the survivors fled along that path in a small boat to site 2.

2. A second journey north, with less "exile" and more "opportunistic." They landed at Haven, and then the VERY NORMAL NPC, Captain Lily Stoddert, was rebelled against by the players, who were joined by those from location 1.

This group wounded Captain Lily Stoddert, who took her ship and sailed away. Where she is at now is unknown, but it seems likely that she may return, Conquistador-style.

Within this zone, along the river to the east, foundations of an ancient city were located, along with a mysteriously preserved toy. To the north of that river, the Orcish armory was discovered, and to the west of that, the Oracles. I think my memory differs from thesloth's here, because I believe the settlement established is within the same ruins they purged the ghosts from, having a ready supply of stone. Wood was being harvested from the forest to the east, attempting to avoid the dog-faced creatures.

3. Further west still, we see the Halflings of the Havenwood Union, which continue to have a simmering war against the Maliente. No large unit formations can be sent on account of dragons destroying any large groups. However, the Halflings 1. want to find their homeland, having been forced to the forest in their ancient history, and 2. finishing the Maliente so they can have their peace.

4. Separately, at this time, another expedition to the east was made, and this is the group with SirLoganofGilead, 8w_gremlin, matts, and TheWhiteFire. They have started building up an outpost. In doing so, they discovered an ancient city with a chapel and alter. One character shot the alter, releasing ghosts into the city. That character did not survive the journey.

They then journeyed north, finding a fort also filled with undead, surviving the encounter and traveling south back to their outpost, bringing us to the present.

I believe that covers everything. Let me know what gaps or mistakes I made :D

Perfect, that clears up all the confusion I had, thank you!

2 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

Just wanted to try to organize the timeline and locations a bit while I'm chilling at the hospital (nothing wild, just a procedure for my wife). As I'm sitting under a TV with just non-stop commercials (who listens to commercials anymore??), I don't have the ability to do an IC post yet (but plan to do so tomorrow morning with a good cup of coffee :) )

That said, I added a few numbers to the map to make it easier for everyone:

Map with Numbers

spacer.png

So, just to try to recap as best as possible, first: You'll note that there's about a 100 mile radius for ship visibility, there are three branching paths that ships have taken - the first to the Northwest, the second to the North, and the third to the East, with that same third one eventually going Northwest as well, and back to the East.

Locations and events as follows:

1. First expedition, these were exiled from Kelmar for a variety of reasons. They did meet the Maliente there, though did not know anything about them besides their hostility. What small settlement was made was ultimately, if my memory serves me (and I believe it does, but @thesloth can confirm) razed by the Maliente, and the survivors fled along that path in a small boat to site 2.

2. A second journey north, with less "exile" and more "opportunistic." They landed at Haven, and then the VERY NORMAL NPC, Captain Lily Stoddert, was rebelled against by the players, who were joined by those from location 1.

This group wounded Captain Lily Stoddert, who took her ship and sailed away. Where she is at now is unknown, but it seems likely that she may return, Conquistador-style.

Within this zone, along the river to the east, foundations of an ancient city were located, along with a mysteriously preserved toy. To the north of that river, the Orcish armory was discovered, and to the west of that, the Oracles. I think my memory differs from thesloth's here, because I believe the settlement established is within the same ruins they purged the ghosts from, having a ready supply of stone. Wood was being harvested from the forest to the east, attempting to avoid the dog-faced creatures.

3. Further west still, we see the Halflings of the Havenwood Union, which continue to have a simmering war against the Maliente. No large unit formations can be sent on account of dragons destroying any large groups. However, the Halflings 1. want to find their homeland, having been forced to the forest in their ancient history, and 2. finishing the Maliente so they can have their peace.

4. Separately, at this time, another expedition to the east was made, and this is the group with SirLoganofGilead, 8w_gremlin, matts, and TheWhiteFire. They have started building up an outpost. In doing so, they discovered an ancient city with a chapel and alter. One character shot the alter, releasing ghosts into the city. That character did not survive the journey.

They then journeyed north, finding a fort also filled with undead, surviving the encounter and traveling south back to their outpost, bringing us to the present.

I believe that covers everything. Let me know what gaps or mistakes I made :D

1. Your probably right about the razing of the outpost, I had a vague recollection of that but couldn't be sure I was remembering correctly. And maybe it was a dark elf and not a vampire we saw leading the zombies. Note to all of you, someone out there is capable of raising large numbers of zombies....

2. To quote the late Queen Elizabeth in regards to Cpt Stoddert "Recollections on the matter vary..." In regard to the village I thought we took stone from it, I seem to recall us building a log long house to stay the winter in. But I could be wrong. I know the ghosts scare Karadoon mightily, and he was also afraid being that close to the ocean might leave them open to shark attacks.

3. Sounds accurate to me. You might mention we found elvish looking ghosts who attacked a Maliente patrol the halflings lured into the ruins of a fort. When Iphigenia attempted parley they moved to attack only when she breached the perimeter and halted when she left. That bit about boundaries seems like it will be important lore to remember.

4.Shot the alter? I wish I could have met this character. Sounds like a fun time at a party.

I wonder if you quarried the ruins and move a little further NW along the coast? I remember timber had to be transported too from the forest. I think canonically we might just put it between the two landmarks - that outpost still exists, by the by, currently being ran by Aephren and Elladra.

Re: shooting the alter, I will reiterate: That character did. not. survive. :D

4 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I wonder if you quarried the ruins and move a little further NW along the coast? I remember timber had to be transported too from the forest. I think canonically we might just put it between the two landmarks - that outpost still exists, by the by, currently being ran by Aephren and Elladra.

Re: shooting the alter, I will reiterate: That character did. not. survive. :D

I do believe we set it mid-points, we might have discussed winter storms and the coastline among other things.

And let us not forget Ballard. Patiently waiting for something to need a proper smiting.

Just FYI - I went ahead and brought some of the non-duplicative stuff over from the other game:

The IC posts were moved to the Archive tab here, the Setting Information has a couple of new tabs - assume all of that information can be easily gathered by talking to people from the journey.

The character sheets of people still around were moved over. (Brother Langdon is historically the character I use when numbers are getting thin)

For travel: Each hex is 25 miles, and I figure about 100 miles by sea / day, 25 miles by land / day. Without counting closely, and just eyeballing it, it looks like it'd take about 3 weeks to get to the oracles?

And since we spent two weeks getting here from Laisey Forest this puts on roughly day 73. I believe that means we have 4 weeks before our group (in a more innocent frame of mind) had left a note asking the Maliente to meet us for trade. I will drop a bigger bit of exposition IC for this.