Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

Oh, so we did settle that town. Every time I think of it, I only remember the two specters peeling off the skeletons and attacking us.

Karadoon was permanently scarred by that event.

At the risk of seeming like the meme of the crazed guy with the string board, let me start with the map (which I see left "New Haven" unlabeled, which has not been rectified)

Kelmar Local Area Map

KelmarCurrentMap.png.80fc9fdea2a72ee5cda5192fd0ce8118.png

The original group had settled Haven, then located a more advantageous position in New Haven - which had access to a river and forest. New Haven collapsed in what is termed by the players to be a tyrannical leader (Captain Lily Stoddert) and what is termed by the DM as "just a regular person sorely misunderstood!" Fleeing New Haven for the potential return of said Lily Stoddert, the group settled an abandoned town which I have named Free Harbor.

After all that went down, Brother Koji's group settled to the nameless establishment in the east. They made their way north, in a narratively convenient way for me to consolidate groups. The refugees were found north of New Haven, where they had been deposited by a person I may have named IC - but if it didn't come up it didn't come up. Those refugees were sent south to find your own vessel, the Fortune - which in turn was anticipated to sail to the nameless location out east - not Free Harbor.

I hope that makes things a little more clear (ish). Let me know if there's anything that I'm too muddy on :)

Edit: The island in the middle is indeed where everyone came from - the island continent(?) of Kelmar.

So nameless location, I don't know why but in my head, it's called Aweholm, did we agree to that, or was there another name?
We also had a conversation about roofing the village, with camo nets, etc to protect it from Dragons, as we witnessed one, which got me confused with the description of New Haven.

So Brother Koji is an extremely competent craftsman and polymath. (his craft skill is 2, an he's an expert craftsman) so anything he can do to help with the building would be offered, he's very community-focused, Smiley, and holds religious ceremonies in the evening for those who follow his faith. (the Father) but he is a bit more liberal in his interpretation of some of the tenants and beliefs

I wonder if a good use of that craft score is to build your own private warship? 🤔 Free Harbour has the dilapidated gunboat Philadelphia, Aweholm (I'm perfectly happy to make that name canon) has the Fortune - but in a way you're a bit tethered to other groups and their needs.

There was also the Ghost Ship kicking around that might be an adventure in and of itself, and of course there are various Kelmarites who might make their way north as word spreads, as word inevitably does.

Re: The Map - Something close to it is, though without New Haven labeled. Maps are all in "The World Thus Far."

Private warship? I like the sound of that :)

Do we know anything about the naval forces of the Maliente? Do they even have ships? In not, perhaps it would be more prudent to scout by scanning the coastline?

7 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Thus far, all encounters have been land-based. Maliente at sea are an open question for the group.

Hm... very interesting. Perhaps we should seek out other Kelmar-related ships (like captain... Stotard was her name?) to figure out what, if anything, they know...

Edit: It's also interesting to speculate what could potentialy happen if sea-based Maliente forces sail for Kelmar... might be a useful argument to pressure our homeland with.

All I can say is that I'm stoked that people are thinking of the world as a living thing where things are happening regardless of what you're doing.

As to where theory meets practice, that seems like something that, if desired, could be pursued after winter encampment :)

This would also be a problem for wooden palisades, abatis, some shields, formations of bowmen....

Many potential applications here.

I also wonder just how far we could ask our new friend in the forest to go for the cause. Magically derived plant matter would survive. If she could sacrifice a few limbs we might really be onto something.

On an unrelated note, we once found a small trinket (an articulated toy metal horse, like a child's toy) stuck in a pouch in the river. It almost had the feel of a totem or charm put there as a good luck charm or something. Now that we have met our tree friend, I wonder if the river holds such a creature.

I'm happy to retrofit and repair the dilapidated gunboat Philadelphia perhaps renaming it to Pheonix
I can make that the focus of my winter's work.

I think getting a better understanding of the coastline, mapping out the area, seeing if we can't find other settlements near the sea or rivers (prime real estate) , and starting diplomacy with them.

Koji isn't against unliving, as the Faith hasn't had to deal with them en masse, so there may be avenues to pursue there. Exception for the hostile ones we've fought.

Also, I didn't know the spell ligneous dissolution existed, and doubt we do, so when they use it on us for the first time, will be interesting, and we'll then have to find a way to counter it. Perhaps a quest in itself.

I'm happy to brainstorm ideas and see what we agree on to pursue.

5 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Also, I didn't know the spell ligneous dissolution existed, and doubt we do, so when they use it on us for the first time, will be interesting, and we'll then have to find a way to counter it. Perhaps a quest in itself.

I'm happy to brainstorm ideas and see what we agree on to pursue.

This is where I believe the Drakvian refugees could be a source of lore for us.

We just need one or two advanced apprentices who finally decided to run away to make themselves known. If they are unwilling to stray from the camp, that's fine as long as they are willing to tutor us. And, if we did have a mage character join, we have a ready made reason for how the mage showed up here.