Session 3: The Library

GM Saint

image.jpeg.4b31315cc7d31c2d127b71f0fb6043a0.jpeg

Name Aaliyah | Class Wizard | Level: 3 | AC: 15| HP: 33/33 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +7 | 1d10+5 slash/pierce - EB | +6 | 1d10 Force

CantripsEldritch Blast, Green-Flame Blade, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Silent Image
2: Misty Step, Mirror Image, Shatter
:

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

"Deal," she offers with a smile, skipping away with the dagger in hand. "I dont stand a chance against what? I'm a fierce warrior and I happen to know I'm not destined to die any time soon... or ever! I don't have a destiny, after all."

When she drops back into her seat beside Ethel, she flips the dagger over and hands it to her, handle first. "Friends? I have my dad's weapon to so I know how special it is." With a flourish, she pulls out the green tinged sword, its handle made of tightly wrapped leaves and fey symbols flickering to life along the blade from the corner of your eye only to vanish when directly stared at.

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 4 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 48/48 | Hit dice: 2/3d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2     Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack55 | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

"After what I've seen her do, I don't think you want to bet against her, old man." Ved doesn't mention that he expressed the same opinion not two days ago.

"Right, let the two bookworms go and do whatever they want. I have fifty gold waiting for me, where's the mayor?" Ved scans the room.

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww2.jpg.2eef72a6061a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg

Name: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 4 | AC: 16 | HP: 36/36 | Prof: +2 | PP: 16 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris ate her food, giving a nod to Callisto as they came down, but doing her best to ignore the goings on otherwise.  She did reply to Murdain though, it was very convenient to be able to have a conversation like this while eating.  ~I wouldn't mind checking in on the babe and Dalen, but I'm not sure I want to stick my nose in here.  Ethel already doesn't like me, so I best not chirp in while she's already got her piss hot... I'm not helping take advantage of those girls though.  The old man is right, that's a damn stupid deal.  I wouldn't trust them to keep it if they took it.~

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Rogue(Soulknife16) 4 | AC: 15 | HP: 40/40 | Prof: +2 | Init: +4 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +6
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack942: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action. 4/4
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die3, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +6 | 1d6+4 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +6 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +6 | 1d8+4 Slashing
Dagger | +6 | 1d4+3 Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +6 | 1d6+4 Piercing / 80/320
 | ToolsThieves Tools: +6
Woodcarver's Tools: +6
 | Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +6
++Stealth2627: +7
Sleight of Hand: +4
Arcana4: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation12 +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsTale of the Traveller: +4 THP, +1 AC, +10ft Speed. Lasts until THP is expended. | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3
 | Hit Dice4d8: 0 Used.
 |
LuckyRecovers on a Long Rest: 2/2|  Psionic5: 4/4InventoryA crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp, Cloak of Elvenkind, thieves' tools, woodcarver tools, 2x daggers
Leather armor, explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), Shortsword, shortbow, 20x arrows

~"Aye, I'd not take that sort of contract even if they accepted. Take em for all they got, and leave em with books? Dont sit right with me. Even puttin' morals aside, it dont make sense: one of em can make potions, and if they take the deal and leave cause they bankrupt... Who can we ask for that? I want to offer a fair deal; again, putting morals aside, say we go down there, they give us a few gold ingots. Where will we sell em? A discount on potions, and being on good terms with an alchemist... Far better. I feel bit bad though, we need to hunt that blasted monster - but we've got no clues. Maybe we can find somethin' out there while we do this. And then there's the Skorn..."~

Murdain watched the events unfold, chewing his breakfast with a melancholic expression. Well, the idea of stealing the dagger back feel to dust before it was fully formed. Less risk this way anyway, and same result. "The idea has merit..." He muttered when Ethel asked for the elder Ved to get stabbed, more to himself than to anyone else. Life was slowly returning to him, between the coffee and the scrambled eggs. It did feel kind of bad to use the knife as an edge to help in the negotiations either way; good will was far better to establish a contract. "Well." He speared another piece of sausage. "Seein' as how you aint interested in his offer... I got one of my own. To start off, I dont know whats in there, but you're clearly hopin' to make a profit seein' as how you spent all your gold on it. Cant be all historical. So my offer's this; we go to this place, scout it out. See what we're dealin' with. Not playin' against the clock, right?"  He gestured with his fork.  

"I'm pretty good at scouting, and if there's traps, can take of those. As for the terms... I dunno the contents of your trove or how old it is. Monetary things, we can split between you two an' us, keepin' you two as one entity, and us as the other. As for percent's start at 50/50. Things other than coin, gems, ingots - valuables - we can take turns choosin'. Round robin. You two can go first. Your thoughts, 'fore I keep blabbing?" 

OOC/Mechanics(Updated!)

OOC: If anyone's got any issues with the terms, please let me know in disco or OOC, and I'll edit.
Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Buffs: 2 Hours Telepathy: Souris and Ved.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

"It's a library," Aria says as Ethel quietly takes the dagger from Aaliyah. The younger sister hadn't really met Aaliyah earlier and was taken by surprise at the girl's generosity and how easily she'd gotten the knife back.

"Thank you. It was my father's dagger. He used it to kill a Holy Knight-"

"Good man-" Sr. chirped from across the tavern, earning himself a look from Ethel that seems like it could set him on fire.

"-It's why he fled to the Vale. He said not every holy knight was very holy and the man deserved it."

Aria clears her throat. "Um, the library is older, older than the Vale. The last caretaker of it- well, I was only able to find out he was a dwarf and that was he obsessive about journaling. I think, being this close, that he must have known a lot about the Empyrean and he would have written it down. Dwarves are big on preserving history, he wouldn't have just used paper. His words might still be down there."

"I don't know there's money to made dwarf. It's a library, not a dragon's lair... I hope." Ethel sounds less hopeful anymore. "And it's occupied by some kind of black goop that jumped off the wall and tried to eat us."

https://i.imgur.com/ln4Kcbd.jpg
Name: Callisto | Class: Wizard (Evocation) | Level: 4 | AC: 1516 with Mage Armor | HP: 28 | Prof: +2
Saves: Str -1, Dex +3, Con +2, Int +7, Wis +1, Cha +0
Attacks: Quarterstaff | +1 | 1d6 Bludgeoning
Special Abilities: (SP 2/2) Transmute Spell, Quicken Spell, Sculpt Spell, Lucky (2/2)
Memorized Spells (9) | Spell DC: 12 | Spell Attack: +4 Cantrips: Shocking Grasp, Fire bolt, Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead
Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣
Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Shield, Chromantic Orb
Level 2 ▣ ▣ ▣
Rime's Binding Ice, Hold Person, Scorching Ray, Tasha's Mind Whip
Magic Items:

Speaking up at least she directs it to the comment about the library "You would be surprised the things you can find in ancient and forgotten libraries, good and bad. Its.. sort of in my wheelhouse, i've spent half my life in old ruins, you would be surprised what you find there."

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 3 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/30 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +5 / Cha +1 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +4 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +3 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5 | Hit Dice d8 (2/3)

Level 1 | (2/4) | Command, Bless (+d4), Bane (-d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+6 healing), Healing Word (1d4+6 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (1/2)  | Hold Person, Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+3 force)

Barkvin comes down and eats some sausage rolls washed down with a pint of ale.  "Aye, me hearties, I'm not sure what we would want with a library.  Perhaps we should finish our hunt for the shadow squid mama?"  He is happy to see his companions make some peace in this place, that was usually his job, but not this early in the day.  It seemed to him they already had some dark business ahead.

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Action: none

Class: Rogue(Soulknife16) 4 | AC: 15 | HP: 40/40 | Prof: +2 | Init: +4 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft

Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die3, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
+Investigation12 +3
Medicine +2
Insight +2

ConditionsTale of the Traveller: +4 THP, +1 AC, +10ft Speed. Lasts until THP is expended. | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
 |
LuckyRecovers on a Long Rest: 2/2|  Psionic5: 4/4InventoryA crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp, Cloak of Elvenkind, thieves' tools, woodcarver tools, 2x daggers
Leather armor, explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), Shortsword, shortbow, 20x arrows

Not outright rejection. I can work with that. Murdain nodded, chewing his food thoughtfully. "Library kept by a dwarf, not made by one, an' you know enough about him that he was obsessive about journal-keeping." He raised an eyebrow. "Frankly speakin', as Callisto said, I'd be surprised if he had nothing of interest down there, even if it isnt a 'trove'. I have some doubts about a journal surviving - for important documents, we carve them in stone or stamp em in metal, but a journal's a bit..." He shrugged, cutting up more of his food, and taking a sip of coffee with a look of bliss. "Bit concerned you'd spend the last of your gold getting into a library... How'd you even plan to live on? Well, not my business, I guess... But, if you need the help and we find nothing - there is something else I'd value more than trinkets and baubles that may or may not exist." The dwarf pointed at Aria with his fork: "Your skill in alchemy. For a period of time, sell em to us at some discount. You get cash flow an' return customers, we get potions. If thats agreeable as concept, we can discuss details." Black slime that jumps at you didnt sound terribly descriptive, but it didnt sound unbeatable, either. From their conversation, fire would work well, maybe - or could it be the problem was that steel didnt? As much as he disliked the old merc, he doubted he'd run from something he could easily stomp dead, so something convinced him he couldn't. 

He sent the food he cut up into his mouth and chewed with a concentrated face, listening to the feedback, before swallowing and then half-turning to Barkvin: "Contract is a contract, aye. But we've struck a wall; we dont know where it is, nor have any clues. Examining old site of the attack didnt do a whole lot; shaking down that bunch of mage-hating Skorn that wander the countryside, and clearly not with friendly intent? We cant question em. May as well wander a bit, leave it up to fate." There was also some concern about these wandering Skorn who butchered the Morys; where would they go next? Another homestead? And Callisto said they go for spellcasters... which these two girls were.

OOC/Mechanics(Updated!)

OOC: If anyone's got any issues with the terms, please let me know in disco or OOC, and I'll edit.
Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 

Ved. The mayor doesn't live in the inn so you have to go out looking for him. You find him near the edge of town, organizing a group of locals with spears and bows.

"Don't leave anyone out if it can be helped but get yer asses back before sunset. I dont know much about it but it likes the dark so stay out of dark spots like dense wood, old buildings and cards. Got it? Tell em to pack what they can and get into town, bring as much food as they can and if they got any livestock left, secure it and well try to get people out to move it. Treat this like a siege boys, I trained you for this.

You see some bastards with cat masks and big blue sticks, you get away. Don't fight unless they make you. If they make you, focus on one at a time. You're gonna die but at least your families might have a chance if you can thin their ranks."

He notices you approach and sighs. "I dont suppose ya came to volunteer? Nah, figured not." He tosses you a heavy jingling pouch.

Out here you also notice the beginnings of construction in a previously empty lot. The wagons from last night had been moved i to this lot and there was a cart of building supplies set out. The house is going to be a small mansion by the looks of it.

Inn people.

"You don't need gold to live, we started with nothing and got this far." The girls look exhausted and you remember the actually left yesterday sometime and likely fled back to town, only arriving in time to get into this fight.

"But we can't in there alone and we need to know... half but I'm in charge," Ethel counters, adding her own terms. "And Aria gets his journals no matter what we find inside, even if that's all there is."

"You need to know, if you help us and I'm right... the Kingpriest, if he ever finds out, might break the decree and send someone down here," Aria adds as a warning 

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww2.jpg.2eef72a6061a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg

Name: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 4 | AC: 16 | HP: 36/36 | Prof: +2 | PP: 16 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +6 | 1d8+4 Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack: +6 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris ears were open wide, listening to the conversation as she made her way through the sausage rolls and such, but she froze at that last bit from Aria.  Maybe old Ved wasn't so much a prick as someone with more common sense than most of this lot.  Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand she gulped down some scalding tea and set the cup down firmly.  ~Murdain... careful.~

She looked to Aria. ~Should we all be having this conversation a little more privately?~ A threat like that to the many who found sanctuary in the Vale would be more than enough to get a needle stuck in both their necks. 

+Investigation12 +3
Medicine +2
Insight +2

|

"Well, sure. Gold does make it a bit more comfortable, though." Nodded Murdain, eating another piece of sausage. "Client is in charge. Suicidal orders are not obeyed, pretty standard. Aria gets the journals, but if there's nothing else to split, we get the discount, as we - " The dwarf replied, before hearing the next bit of dialogue about the Kingpriest. "Hmmm." He took a longer drink of coffee than before. Chances are that statement meant 'agent sent in to remove offending material and or persons' kind of deal, not the 'cancel the sanctity of the Vale' sort of thing. In the latter case, everyone here would become their enemy, but Souris was right - not a topic to casually remark on here. "Well, thank you for being honest. Does put a bit of a dampener on this." Without being too obvious about it, he chanced a look around to see who else looked like they were within earshot or might have heard. The old man, surely. Agatha? Any others?

~"I think they just mean the information's dangerous to the Kingpriest, so someone'd be sent to remove it. I'd still be up for it, but... Discussing it here is foolish. Maybe talk upstairs or outside town? Can you let 'em know? 'If' Aria is right, 'if' the Kingpriest finds out... Whole lot of uncertainty"~ Secrets of that sort... Were also worth a lot of money.

OOC/Mechanics(Updated!)

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 4 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 48/48 | Hit dice: 2/3d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2     Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack55 | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

"Volunteer? I'll volunteer to tell a tale or sing a song, but I don't ask the bard to work for free. I'm a soldier. If I fight, I get paid, end of discussion." Ved reaches out and tightens the string on one of the locals' bows. "You need to raise the bounty on the shadow thing. It's got little ones helping it. It's more dangerous than we thought. It'll be pulling townsfolk into their graves for years unless someone hunts it, and my party ain't hunting it for less than double what you offered before. We got other options now."

"If its outside your skill set, don't take the bounty. I sent word down south as far as Valefort. People might not come into the Vale to get other people but to kill a monster? That gold is enough to set you up for years if you're not stupid about it.

And unless you're moving away soon, this famines gonna make your own belt just as tight as anyone else's." The mayor turns away to yell at the man in the watchtower. "Ey, you nodding off already?"

"Why would you say that?" Ethel asks with another groan.

"Its true! The Empyrean was his enemy, its the only thing that makes sense and I'm gonna prove it. I'm gonna prove Valeborn aren't tainted souls born outside the rest of the world. We do have a place in the universe."