Chapter 1: Orientation

hoverfrog

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot claps when the last candle lights, "Wonderful, so inventive and clever. I knew each of you would great additions to Magaambya." 

There is a sudden downpour outside as rain crashes down on the roof above and streets outside. For a moment the sound drowns out the teacher's speech. Well seasoned to this weather, Ot simply pauses until it eases, and then continues.

He beckons you to follow him as he walks to the southern facing entrance. Looking at the rain pummelling the streets he turns his head into the eaves and coos. A small, blue feathered quail flies down from where it was sheltering and lands on the point of his staff, "While the rains fall, we shall undertake the second test. Can you get a feather from this bird without plucking one? There is only one bird this time and she looks a bit nervous so I say that this is a group test. Discuss it first or not, as the need dictates."

He waits patiently, holding the staff still so that the quail isn't jostled.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

After Teacher Ot announces the second challenge, Thandeka thinks a moment, then beckons the others to her side. She briefly considers whispering but thinks better of it. First off, that would be disrespectful of their mentor. And secondly, Teacher Ot would probably be judging them on how well they work together and not just on how successful their solution might be to the test.

Besides, he might have a way of listening in on their thoughts, anyway.

“My first thought was that we might scare the quail in some fashion and when it tries to fly away, it might leave a feather or two behind for us. However, Teacher Ot seems to be rather protective of the bird. And I would rather not hurt the quail in any way, if possible. It is such a pretty creature.

"My other thought is that if it has a nest, we might be able to find some feathers in or around it. And yet again, there might be a problem in that. I believe that quails tend to make their nests on the ground, not up there in the eaves from where it flew down. Well, what do you others think?”

Mechanics/OOC

Main Hand: Scimitar
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.

Kaikara smiled as, first, Thandeka praised her efforts, and then Teacher Ot, voiced his own admiration for her peer's efforts with the candle.  Somewhat shocked that there was no reprimand for her, rather, simple method to lighting the candle, she experienced a glimmer of hope, that perhaps, just maybe, she could earn a place in the Academy.  Now, the clouds rolled in and a small quail landed on the head of Ot's staff, Kaikara considered her peer's suggestions, she shook her head, slightly, almost imperceptibly.  She was not comfortable frightening such a beautiful, but fragile, creature as the quail, concerned that they would sour Teacher Ot's impression of them.  The second suggestion was sound, she spoke softly as the rain pummelled the garden, coming down in sheets, beyond the southern door, "Of the two, finding the nest seems the least, intrusive, however, given the weather it may be difficult to spot it, and any attempt to climb the tree, or the eaves where it rests, would be treacherous."  She shrugged, with little else to say, sinking into the back behind Alandri's well groomed frame, there, she reached a hand into her pouch, drawing out one of Chef Yao's snacks.  A delicate ball of steamed rice, slathered in honey, and wrapped in a banana leaf, as she brought it to her lips, taking a small bite, it crumbled into the palm of her hand, and she had to lick her fingers clean of the sticky honey.

"Oh!"  She said, surprising herself.  "Honey?  If someone could coax the quail into their palm, after coating it with the honey treat, maybe any loose feathers would get stuck to their hand?"

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

"Must I always be the cat who ate the canary?" Silas jests. He scratches behind one ear with a claw, ruminating momentarily over the puzzle presented and the bird itself. Presently he pulls a somewhat tarnished and aged but quite ornate folding mirror from a pocket, scarcely bigger than a locket or small pocket watch, and flips it open, his eyes darting to the eaves where the quail had so recent hidden from the cloudburst. His mouth curls into a wry smile.

"I suppose we could ask it nicely? I'm trying to think if I know anything of the species, but then again, perhaps I'll just sort the bird's eye view first."

With a glint in his eye matching that crossing the reflective surface of the mirror, Silas appears roughly fifteen feet up into the eaves where the bird had just been, despite also remaining in the same position on the ground.

"Now let's see..." says the Silas crouched on a cross-beam, mostly to himself.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC: rolling some checks

Action 1: Mirror's Reflection

Action 2: Rolling Lore (Magaambya) to see if I can ID the bird (assuming it's a local species, I guess)

Action 3: Rolling Seek (Perception) to see if there are any feathers lying around

Free Action: wondering if this will scare the bird and net us some feathers anyway

Name
Lore (magaambya) roll to ID bird
1d20+5 6
Seek (perception) to locate any stray feathers
1d20+4 5

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Alandri raises a questioning eyebrow, "Right."

He takes a look around to see if he can find a spare feather, nest nearby, or other evidence of the quail.

Name
Seek (perception)
1d20+3 12

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanThere don't appear to be any loose feathers on the ground or in the eaves above. Nests tend to be on the ground or in burrows, covered by tall grasses or reeds or clustered among rocks for protection. The cultivated ground of Magaambya's campus is probably not well suited for them although, some people like to set up nesting boxes for birds. Unfortunately Silas knows very little about this specific species of bird.

When Thandeka and Kaikara suggest several options, Teacher Ot, smiles and then chuckles when Silas says to ask the bird. The quail hops about on the staff, looking up to the eaves and then down to the mirror, not understanding how someone can be in two places at once.

"Have you come to a decision?" Ot asks, "You have many choices, which will it be?"

OOC Scene Notes

We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

“Well, my expertise comes from talking with things that have a bit more intelligence to them." 

Alandri turns to Thandeka and says, "I think this might need a gentler touch than maybe some of us may be able to provide. I believe you, Thandeka, may be able to talk to it or interact with the bird in a way the rest of us may not. How about you ask it to take us to its nest.” The sorcerer finishes with a smile and you for a split second think there may have been glint that comes from his teeth. Some weird play with the light you guess. 

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Shee

"Oh... um...." Thandeka gives her head a little shake and blinks her eyes, as if awakening from a trance. What is it about Alandri that causes this effect on her?

Anyway, she considers what's been said and done by the others. (She wasn't surprised at the direct approach that the boys used, of course.) She would have preferred hearing from her friend Lilly, too, but the professor was waiting for an answer of some sort. And then she considers Teacher Ot's reaction at Silas' offhand quip.

She then turns to Kaikara and holds out her hands for a bit of the honey treat. “Your idea has merit, Kaikara. Before we do anything, we should win the quail's trust with a gift. Would you mind, my friend?"

Finally she turns to Teacher Ot... and the quail. "Come, my friend. Come and enjoy some of this wonderful honey treat that gentle Kaikara has to share with you and your children. And if you will permit it, may we please have one of your feathers? Teacher Ot asks us to do this thing.”

Stat Block

Mechanics/OOC

OOC: Oh, great -- a critical failure?!🙄

Main Hand: Honey treat

Action 1: Perception (NOTE: See below.)

Action 2: Diplomacy (NOTE: See below.)

Action 3: Nature (NOTE: "Command" the Quail.)

Name
PERCEPTION (Understand Teacher Ot's Reaction to Silas' Suggestion about Asking the Quail.)
1d20 +7 20
DIPLOMACY (Make a Request of the Quail.)
1d20 +5 10
NATURE ("Command" the Quail.)
1d20 +7 1

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

Kaikara watched Malfore as he spoke to Thandeka, more importantly, she watched as color rose to the woman's cheeks, the Matanji's brows, furrowed, and her lips pressed together in a tight, bloodless, line.  What was this?  She pondered, why did she feel so ... uneasy around Malfore as he spoke with the woman.  She was unsure, packing that question away, she shook her head, her thick braid moving from one shoulder to the next.  Suddenly the woman stood before her, asking for a treat for the quail, the Matanji woman broke a sticky rice ball in half, pressing one into Thandeka's palm, trying not to marvel at the warmth of her skin, and the delicate brush of her finger tips against the orc's own, rough, calloused hands.

Kaikara took a careful step to the side as the Dawnstar's chosen one spoke to the quail, in a soft, cooing voice.  For her part, the Matanji warrior slathered the sticky residue on the banana leaf, and crumbled her half of the rice ball, so each grain fell from her finger tips to her opposite palm, the rhythmic falling of the rice grains, intended to lure the creature to her palm, to where the honey might catch and trap a molting feather.  She made a soft, clucking sound, her tongue curled against the roof of her mouth, behind her upper teeth, she cocked her head to the side, and followed the quail's movements, mirroring them, hoping to set the poor frightened creature at ease.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:  Command an Animal [Have the Quail land on the sticky leaf]

Action 2:

Action 3:

Name
Command an Animal (Nature)
1d20+5 11

Silas shrugs, both of him, with the more elevated of his two forms disappearing. He turns and looks to the quail with a frown.

"We could just snip one, like taking a lock of hair. Teacher Ot only said without plucking. I'm sure I can dig up some scissors; at this rate we may as well wait for it to molt," he says dismissively.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot seems interested in novel approaches. Most people wouldn't consider asking an Animal something. That was what made him smile.

The approach seems to work, as the bird hops to Kaikara's hand to snatch the snack. Knocking it down it then follows to peck the seeds from it, stopping occasionally to make sure nobody approaches while it eats. After a minute of gorging itself on the sticky meal it flies off into the rain. The remnants of the meal have some tiny feathers stuck to it.

"Well done, well done."

"Let's walk to the dining hall. If you are like other students, you will spend a great deal of time there," the rain is still falling, it will probably rain on and off for months during the rainy season, "Follow me."

He moves unhurriedly without concern for the rain. You note that he doesn't seem to get very wet on your walk and is almost dry when you enter the dining hall. The head cook, Lumusi Yao, is directing a group of students to clean and dry the tables and floors. Teacher Ot stops in the doorway where he bends to pick up a small shovel snake small, harmless Garundi shovel-snout snake with distinctive scale patterns, "We all have secrets, some easily revealed and some carefully hidden. Can you get a secret from this snake?"

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

“How wonderful, Kaikara! Oh, well done again. You definitely have a way with animals!” Thandeka is genuinely happy at her friend’s success at solving Teacher Ot’s last puzzle, but she is secretly disappointed at her own performance. She just didn’t understand why she was unable to coax the quail to her. Was it something she said or did accidentally that might have frightened the poor creature? And it was foolish of her to think that the gentle fowl could understand her speech. She guesses that she must have been distracted by something or other. Yes, that’s it. The young human was simply distracted.

The dark-haired lass thinks to herself as she looks past the handsome elf, “Well, no matter. The important thing was that we were able to meet the challenge working together, each bringing some useful skill or talent to the table with us. We are stronger as a group than as individuals.”

Thandeka then focuses her attention on what their smiling instructor has just said. “Secret? Oh, dear. Maybe the snake has a secret message written in it concealed on its scale pattern, like a code or cipher of some sort? Maybe Lilly can figure this out as she has an understanding of language. Still, perhaps there is a simpler solution to this riddle."

Holding out her hands to their mentor, Thandeka says, “Teacher Ot? With your permission, may I hold your little friend?”

Pathbuilder Character Sheet

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar sheathed.)

Action 1: Takes snake gently from Teacher Ot.

Action 2: Examines snake.

Action 3: Recalls Knowledge about Garundi shovel-snout snake.

Name
PERCEPTION (Examining the snake)
1d20 +7 13
NATURE (Recall Knowledge about the Garundi shovel-snout snake)
1d20 +7 9

Alandri's mood seems to go a little dour after a little jaunt through the rain. Call him a cat, but he hates getting wet. The sorcerer thinks to himself, “At least we are all done trying to talk to animals.” He gets a little more sour seeing Professor Ot's cheery mood and even his clothes seemingly unaffected by the rain. When the professor then asks the group to learn the secrets of a snake his face seems to go completely deadpan and annoyed. He mumbles under his breath, “you have got to be kidding me.”

Alandri speaks up to address the professor, "Um excuse my rudeness here Professor Ot, but are we not to be learning magic at this school? I just didn’t realize I needed to study up on speaking to animals. I seemed to have missed that page from my acceptance letter focusing on arcane studies. Or maybe I just entered the wrong class. You know what, that is what it must be, I must be in the wrong class and this is druid studies. Do you know where I can find arcane studies?”

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)

Kaikara walked with the others, following Teacher Ot and the other students, as Thandeka praised her efforts, again, butterflies appeared in her stomach, color rising to her cheeks and collar bone.  She took a deep breath, "I am surprised the quail responded to me, most animals shun me due to the corrupting influence of Usaro."  She shrugged, nervously, "perhaps it was your calming presence that overcame it's cautionary instincts."  She slowed her place, noting, for an instant that Thandeka, despite her praise, seemed to turn inward, ruminating on her, perceived, failure.  

As they moved through the rain, Kaikara turned her head up to the skies, closing her eyes, letting the rain water slide past her lips.  Kaikara enjoyed the rain, and seeing the storm, simply accepted the fact that she would get wet, she did not raise her shoulders to shelter her collar from it.  She simply followed Teacher Ot, and soon came to recognize their destination, due to the time she had spent in the Dining Hall, under Chef Yao's tutelage.  She looked on, carefully, from the rear of the group, watching as Ot bent down to pick up a small, beautiful looking snake, with a blunted snout.  Thandeka, courageously, given her self-doubt, stepped forward, inspecting the creature, and asking their instructor if she, could, in fact, handle the creature. 

However, it was Alandri's mutterings that broke through Kaikara's introspective silence, the disrespect shown to, this, their teacher, was ... infuriating.  The calmness she had felt beneath the rain slipped away from her, the Matanji blood hammered in her veins, the arrogance, the selfishness.  Had he been behind the Nine Walls, his instructors would break a limb, and let him learn humility as he recovered in the healing houses.  She rolled her neck as she took a step forward, the loud cracking, of her wiry, muscular frame audible over the hammering of the downpour outside, her hands clenched into fists, cartilage popping as she did so.  She looked from Ot to Alandri and back again, more than willing to thrash the self entitled prick.  She took a deep breath, holding herself, barely, from the precipice, she was not attempting to intimidate the privileged sorcerer, but there was an undeniable promise of violence carved into her scowl.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:  

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)
Name
Intimidate
1d20+0 6

"Really, now? Are we going to stand here and do the entire class-clown-versus-teacher's-pet routine, or can we act our ages?" Silas' impatient remark cuts the silent tension, if only a bit. He cross his arms and cocks his head to one side in a scolding manner.

"Don't tease the bootlicker, Malfore, she left her sense of humor back home," he warns sarcastically before turning towards Kaikara. "And you, remind me not to sit next to you in lecture, in case I drop my quill at the wrong moment and earn myself what your backwards mind thinks is some kind of lesson."

Silas punctuates his remarks with an exasperated eyeroll, then turns his gaze to the snake.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC: rolling Perception to see if I notice anything about the snake's pattern - could lead to another skill check I guess, I have Occultism and Relgion, if those are a factor

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Name
Perception check (see OOC)
1d20+4 6