Chapter 1: Orientation

hoverfrog

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

cbTrWOE.pngAfter about an hour of setting in there is a knock on Lilly's door followed by a knock on the nearest neighbour. "Hi, I'm Esi Djana from down the hall."

"I'm the welcoming committee. Sort of." She smiles, "I know what it's like when you don't know anyone and you're dropped into a strange situation. I thought I'd take you round to introduce you to everyone. There were five of you, right? Do you want to tell me who they are as we go round?"

Rooms

Either you didn't choose which A14 room you were in or I neglected to make a note of it. Can you let me know which room you chose and I'll update the map. Lilly and her next door or opposite neighbour have been greeted but everyone can hear the exchange through the thin walls so feel free to respond.

I don't want to introduce all the NPCs in one go, which is why you've met two of them already and had a third mentioned. Having them all thrown at you at once would be confusing.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

180xp from the aptitude tests.

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Dripping and soaking wet now that he had to run through the rain a second time, he finds himself late to the claiming a room party. His mood is a little sour still from being wet. Call him a cat, but he hates being wet. He starts to explore and tries opening up Kiakara's door to check if its available and after seeing her practicing her forms he tries to ask quickly and quietly shut the door, hoping that she did not notice. He runs around the corner to hide and puts his back against the wall. He looks over and finds Lily and Esi right by him and quickly straightens up. He smooths his wet jacket puts on his winning smile and says, "Well hello ladies" *twinkle teeth* "it seems like I am having a bit of trouble finding a room." *Achem* "My name is Alandri Malfore, Sorcerer Extraordinaire." He leans it just a tad and his smile goes just a slight bit deeper. "Do you think you could find me a room?

Mechanics

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

The rooms were simply enormous, something she'd noticed immediately when they'd passed through them earlier. In fact, the building itself was huge. Much larger than virtually every inn or tavern she'd seen on her travels here the building was not only a marvel due to the sheer size but also its beauty. Being given a space so large and open was strange for her. After all, she'd spent a good two years in an oversized jar on a lab table as she grew strong enough to survive the world! This, this was, overwhelming. Everything about the space was larger than the life she'd grown accustomed to. The bed was massive, she was like a small island in the middle of the sea as she sat there rubbing Moz along his lower jaw. He'd already explored the ceiling of the room and all the walls but returned to her as he always did.

When a knock came on her door she rolled to the edge of the bed and made her way to the door quickly. After all, she didn't want to keep anyone important waiting, or anyone else for that matter. She didn't want to be rude and hadn't really been certain if she should close the door in the first place or not. Eventually she had, not really for her own privacy really but simply to get a better sense of the space of the room. "Hello there, Esi!" An upbeat, light woodwind and flute musical piece, played faintly. "I am Lilly... and this," she held up her hand, arm stretched out high above her as she made a slight bow, and Moz scrambled to the top of her hand and posed, thrusting his tiny head up as though he were pointing to the sky "... is Moz, my companion."

Lilly giggled as she relaxed and Moz ran back to perch on her shoulder. "Hey Alandri! Esi was just asking about meeting us, all of us." She paused a moment, "We should all walk around the hallway to the right and introduce you Esi." Lilly paused and glanced back to the room behind her, "If you need a room this one is quite large Alandri. I don't know why anyone would need so much space for themselves! I could share it with you... is that something people do here? I've lived in a jar, barely larger than myself, hidden in a box not much larger for months on end, and stayed in a large room, not unlike this one, with cots stacked so tightly together that one could barely walk between the rows. This place is enormous and certainly more than one person needs!" There was nothing suggestive about her offer or words, nor did she pick up on any suggestion Alandri might have been making. It was clear that her life experiences as well as how literally different than most she was showed in both obvious and subtle ways. Thinking nothing of her offer she started to walk north toward the center hallway and the room next to the one she'd selected, "Shall we go Esi?"

OoC

As a side note...

Lilly, despite being "female" really isn't. She's a grown creature without a digestive or matter processing organs / systems and doesn't have the associated waste systems either. Along with that she simply doesn't possess the reproductive systems either. Her biochemistry is very different than that of creatures that are driven by hormones and reproduction as a need. Her behaviors aren't prompted by those needs / requirements that most have. She doesn't need to find sustenance and can't starve or die of thirst as her physiology is self contained for the most part for example. This alters fundamental psychological basics for her in numerous ways.

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???

Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')

Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

cbTrWOE.pngimage.png.ff0fb01da8f328c14f07461272dcc72c.pngEsi smiles, reaching out a hand for Lilly. You go door to door gathering up the rest of your group. She then directs you to the nearest door, "Noxolo's room." She knocks and a tall woman, with short hair, dressed in men's pants and a loose men's shirt, answers.

"Esi?" she looks down at Lilly and across at the others, "New students?"

"Hello, my friends, I am Noxolo," she skips back, leaving the door wide open, "Please come in. These rooms are huge, you can easily all fit."

Like Kiakara's room most of the furniture is around the edges of the room. She indicates the couch or the bed to sit on while she takes the centre of the room for herself. She spins round with the grace of a trained dancer, "What do you think?"

Other than the elaborate woven blue rug that dominates the centre of the room there is a large collection of dance outfits, several small chests of medical supplies, and a tall jug of water Noxolo keeps on hand as an emergency fire extinguisher.

"Not much but it's home," before anyone can do much more than file into the room a strange creature emerges from under the bed. It is about two feet and looks like a bizarre cross between a crocodile and a fuzzy bear cub, "That's Snabble, don't mind him. He'll probably sniff you but if he bothers you just push him away gently. He'll go and sniff something else."

Exactly as warned Snabble begins to do exactly that, choosing Alandri to smell first.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

180xp from the aptitude tests.

Show Active Map

image.png.5365088fba56b64a6bc26be3f673dd59.png

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Alandri steps into the bedroom and thinks to himself "these really aren't that big". He spots the couch and plops himself down on the seat that is closest to the bed and starts listening intently. Looking over he sees Noxolo's dance outfits and starts to critique them just by instinct. He starts to focus in on…

"AAAAAAAHHHHH! WHAT IS THAT!?" Alandri seeing the creature jumps up onto the couch and little flames ignite in his hands. "Why is it coming up to me?! Eeep!"

Holding a defensive stance with his back foot stepping on the back of the couch, he uses his front hand to shoo away the encroaching creature. "Shoo, shoo, shoo."

Only after the creature starts to interact with other students, Alandri settles back down into his seat eyeing the creature to make sure it does not revert to some violet primal nature. Alandri is very aware of how tasty he might be. Especially dressed like this.

Mechanics

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

When Esi and Lilly make their way to Thandeka's room, they find her kneeling in front of the window basking in the gentle sunlight. The young priestess has her back to them when they enter. She seems to be lost in prayer before she is interrupted by their arrival. The tall human then sighs, takes a deep breath and says, "Ah, it is a pleasure to meet you, Esi. My name is Thandeka Sun-Steel of Bendakarh. I serve the goddess Sarenrae. Um, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to speak to Lilly in private for a moment."

Pathbuilder Character Sheet

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lilly nodded, "That's fine with me. Moz and I will remain behind with Thandeka." She didn't know Thandeka well, yet, but she trusted the school to make suitable selections for students and that there would be no danger in remaining behind. Part of being here at the academy was sure to be the process of making new friends and acquaintences as well as learning. Life wasn't simply one aspect of things but a mix of experiences all thrown together in a bundle, some good and some bad.

Clearly the woman wanted to chat about something and Lilly didn't mind in the least. She smiled and glanced over towards Esi, "We won't be but a few moments and then we'll catch up at the next room Esi, the one on that side I think." She pointed to the next room over in the line as she studied Thandeka's room. This was a large room as well but with a few people in it somehow it seemed smaller.

OoC

As a side note...

Lilly, despite being "female" really isn't. She's a grown creature without a digestive or matter processing organs / systems and doesn't have the associated waste systems either. Along with that she simply doesn't possess the reproductive systems either. Her biochemistry is very different than that of creatures that are driven by hormones and reproduction as a need. Her behaviors aren't prompted by those needs / requirements that most have. She doesn't need to find sustenance and can't starve or die of thirst as her physiology is self contained for the most part for example. This alters fundamental psychological basics for her in numerous ways.

Offenses (Attack +6):

Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

A slightly puzzled Esi leaves Lilly & Moz alone with Thandeka alone in the latter's room. While waiting for the human girl to speak, the small witch notices the priestess' tear-stained face, although she may or may not understand its significance. The tall cleric then stands up from kneeling by the northern window, and next slowly pulls out her long and deadly scimitar from its well-worn sheath. She places the blade on the bed next to her, its hilt facing towards her practiced hand, but within easy reach. She then returns to face Lilly... and looks down into the fleshwarp's eyes as if boring into her soul.

Thandeka then takes a deep breath.

"Lilly, as I have said, I serve the goddess Sarenrae. You may or may not know anything about the Everlight. One of her divine tenets is that from the remorseless evil that is the undead, the Dawnflower preaches swift justice be delivered... by the scimitar's edge. This is canon. This is law. This is her will which I must obey if I am to remain as one of her servitors."

A subjectively long, pregnant pause ensues between the two in the room. A windchime sounds gently outside of the window. A songbird warbles lightly.

"On the other hand, compassion and peace are her greatest virtues, and if enemies of the faith can be redeemed, they should be. This, too, is part of what I was taught and what I believe. Furthermore I believe, here and now, that you are inherently good, whether you are alive... or... 'undead'."

The athletic lass then takes her scimitar in her hand again, and slowly yet deliberately resheathes it.

"However, if at any time I find that you threaten anyone who is good and just or even a complete innocent, then it will be my duty to enforce the will of the Healing Light that is Sarenrae. Do you understand?"

Thandeka then quietly adds, "I am sorry but I felt it important that we understand each another from the outset. I like you, Lilly, and I respect your wit, your courage and your knowledge. Please do not ever give me reason to use my scimitar on you.image.gif.83995cbcc64c373b4a62897779649420.gif"

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action: Guessing Lilly's alignment. (Perception?)

Bonus Action:

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar lying on bed.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3:

image.gif

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Name
Guessing Lilly's alignment. (Perception?)
1d20 + 7 19

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

Silas acknowledges Esi and Noxolo in turn.

"Charmed," he says somewhat automatically, his intentions elsewhere. Silas moseys around the dormitory area until he arrives at what is seemingly the most remote room, in the southeast corner. A room with a window that opens right into the yard and the convenient-if-needed cover of a bush. Satisfied, Silas roams back into the larger area to find Alandri acquainting himself with some kind of odd-looking creature.

"Two of a kind, how quaint!" Silas japes, taking on an exaggerated bardic tone and grinning smugly. "The age-old story of starry-eyed young classmates opening their timid hearts. There's more than just magic in the air at Magaambya!"

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Alandri sends a death ray glare from atop his couch perch at Silas. Alandri thinks to himself as he continues to glare at Silas while keeping a suspicious eye on the pet, Ill get him back for that comment. 

When Alandri finally thinks it is safe to come down from the couch he stands up and smooths out the front of his robes and clears his throat before speaking to Noxolo, “before that… uh … thing happened I could not help but notice that…” Alandri walks over to some of the clothes and feels them between his fingers. “...is this Keleshite silk? Where might I ask did you get it? To have such fine adornments and be at this school it most certainly requires a story to be told. I must know.”

Mechanics

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz

Lilly was clearly confused by the words, "Thandeka. I think I understand your confusion here... but..." Lilly shook her head as she watched the woman before her. She'd seen many things in the past few years. Many atrocities that supposedly good people had committed in the name of some god or goddess or another. It was a difficult thing for her to understand and she still didn't, not really.

Lilly glanced down as Moz rubbed against her wrist, he was so spoiled! He seemed to demand attention at some of the most inopportune moments indeed. She began scratching along his jaw and looked back towards Thandeka.

"You think that I am an undead for some reason." Her voice was clear, steady, and stable. "I am not. I am not an unbodied spirit nor am I a rotting corpse reanimated with a corrupted spirit of evil. I didn't hold fast to my skeleton despite my death nor did an evil priest return me. In fact, I was given an opportunity to complete my life by those on the other side, those gods one finds to be the custodians of the afterlife. My fate had been cut short by the meddling of those whom feared my life by the simple act of spooking a horse even! My father, as mad as he was, merely provided the vessel for me to return to. He never would have succeeded in his pursuit of returning me from the afterlife, that was in fact a gift granted to me from the afterlife."

She shook her head, "There are many things of evil in my home town, this is true and many undead are evil, born of evil. But even so, not all are such, there was Gilly, a skeleton and in life had been just married. He worked the land as a skeleton and nothing more, he wanted to provide for his wife whom had passed on. He could not know it though, it was too much for him to bear and he would see images of her and speak with her despite her not being there. He was not dangerous in the least, didn't try to hurt anyone and merely grew his squashes and cabbages season after season... he was not an evil creature. I helped him sometimes and even played chess with him. He helped me save a robin that had fallen from its nest and fed his vegetables to all the animals! Had you seen him hand feeding a deer carrots or petting wild rabbits I believe you might reconsider." She shrugged.

"I am not undead. I don't argue for my own sake with these words but for Gilly and a few of the others I've known. How can your goddess believe that all undead are evil and must be destroyed? I respect your beliefs Thandeka but how can one say all things are always something or another? There are many gods and they often say they are right and the others are wrong... many of them are harsh or require their followers to destroy others in order to save them but that makes no sense. There are many tales of different gods performing horrible acts or being quite fallible..." her voice trails off for a brief moment and it is clear that she's puzzled.

"I've met many people in my travels that have supposedly been good and just people, humans, elves, even fairies and beast-like people and they've not acted at all like good or just people. There have been some towns I've not remained in, and moved through without leaving trace, as I saw the wickedness they hid behind closed doors and windows. If you called them good and just, not knowing the truth, what then would you do? I understand what your duty is Thandeka. But more than that I see a world, that is often not so clear, or true and I fear that should you not look deeper your own actions might inadvertently betray your own beliefs."

Lilly half tilted her head, "We should, if you are going to join us, catch up to the others, however, I can say that I have no desire or intention to harm, well, anyone. I'm here to learn and grow. But I do want to help others and protect those whom cannot do so for themselves. I shall not turn a blind eye to those who claim they are good yet perform evil acts and I should hope you would not think that wrong."

She winked at Thandeka, "I know this is a very serious thing for you, I don't wish to lessen that importance of this or your beliefs. I hope this brings surcease to your conflict, the fact that I am not an undead and that I am a reborn soul by the grace of the gods themselves and not the actions of a wicked madman. I have been chased from towns by those with raised torches, swords, and clubs for the very fact that they see me as a monster. Here, I hope for a different view, one that is based on what my actions show others. If you wish we can chat about this more another time, or of similar things. I have no doubt that the vague memories I have from beyond, the peace, were things of truth. I'm certain that somehow the magics I possess are in fact from that place and I am connected to it, perhaps it is in fact more theological than not! But I find it a dichotomy as well that my logic and structured thought allow me to perform those magics." She laughed and stepped out into the hallway to catch up with the others. "Please join us Thandeka, I think we all need to relax a bit and these people are after all the ones we will be sharing living quarters with..."

OoC

Offenses (Attack +6):

Cantrips

Mage Hand 
Level 1
Mage Armor 

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

After the intense confrontation, Esi laughs and leaves Thandeka alone in the room so that the former can join the others outside in the halls of Spire Dormitory. Meanwhile the human girl says nothing as she tries to calm her breathing. Once she has regained her self-control, she closes her eyes for a moment, then reopens them. Saying a silent prayer, she then quietly leaves her room, sword at the ready, promising to keep a close eye on the fleshwarp... or should she refer to Lilly as a "reincarnate"?

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action: Guessing Lilly's alignment. (Perception?)

Bonus Action:

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar lying on bed.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited Saturday at 04:26 PM by artsmythe (see edit history)image.gif

Edited by artsmythe
Fixing template (see edit history)